If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 10th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
BATTERY ENHANCEMENTS AND SPECIFICATION CHANGES FOR HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 | HYUNDAI MEDIA NEWSROOM
– For the first time, the updated IONIQ 5 will be available with video-based digital interior and exterior mirrors. The Digital Centre Mirror (DCM) optimises visibility by providing an unobstructed, panoramic rear-facing view of the car. The DCM camera is installed below IONIQ 5’s rear spoiler.
– will also offer Digital Side Mirrors (DSM). Already available for Korean-spec IONIQ 5 models, this high-tech feature will be available in Europe for the first time in a Hyundai Motor Group vehicle. The DSM reduce air resistance and will provide IONIQ 5 customers with an enhanced rear view, even in bad weather.
– the new battery conditioning feature will enable IONIQ 5 to automatically adapt its battery temperature while travelling to ensure optimal charging conditions when reaching the charging point, improving real-life charging performance in hot or cold ambient conditions. This function activates automatically when a charging point is entered into the vehicle’s navigation system using connected routing.
– Smart Frequency Dampers (SFD) will improve the response of the rear axle suspension to increase ride comfort as well as improving both body control and handling.
– Updated IONIQ 5 is enhanced with a new 77.4kWh battery pack
2023 KIA SPORTAGE PHEV DEBUTS WITH 32-MILE ELECTRIC RANGE ESTIMATE – ROADSHOW
– Kia’s portfolio of electrified vehicles grew by one this morning with the announcement of the 2023 Kia Sportage PHEV, a plug-in hybrid version of the automaker’s compact SUV with a target electric-only range of 32 miles.
– Kia’s fifth-generation Sportage debuted late last year and was quickly joined by a Sportage Hybrid variant. The Sportage PHEV joins the lineup with a larger battery pack and plug-in power.
– Under the hood, you’ll find a 177-horsepower, 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and a 66.9-kW electric motor
– Kia has specified that it is targeting 32 miles of electric range from a 2-hour recharge
– he plug-in Sportage will feature a 7.2 kW high-efficiency onboard charger
– feeding a 13.8-kWh lithium polymer battery
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2023-kia-sportage-phev-debut/
FORD STARTS DELIVERING E-TRANSIT EV TRUCKS TO CUSTOMERS | AUTOWEEK
– Ford has begun delivering the first battery-electric E-Transit vans to customers, with the vehicles produced at the Kansas City Assembly Plant. The start of deliveries marks an important milestone in Ford’s electrification strategy, and is taking place ahead of the start of production of the Ford F-150 Lightning later this spring.
– The automaker offers the E-Transit in a variety of versions, including three wheelbases and three roof heights, as well as in cutaway and chassis cab forms, with a top estimated range of 126 miles. All versions of the van use a 68-kWh battery powering a single rear-mounted motor producing 266 hp and 317 lb-ft of torque. The model starts at $43,295 in cutaway form, prior to destination charges and the $7500 federal tax credit, while the lowest-priced cargo van starts at $47,185 before destination charges and incentives.
– Stellantis is certainly building battery-electric work vans at the moment, but it’s only offering them in Europe under Opel, Vauxhall and Citroen brands, and is not expected to offer a version of that particular vehicle family stateside.
DID FORD JUST BUY A LUCID AIR TO BENCHMARK FUTURE EVS AGAINST? | INSIDEEVS
– a Lucid Air was seen at Ford’s Dearborn, Michigan facility posing next to a Mustang Mach-E. It’s probably not for benchmarking the Mach-E against it, but perhaps Ford will compare some other future electric offerings to it.
– These photos were sent to us by our spies without any context, so we had to try to explain what they show. It could just be a Lucid owner who knew someone at Ford brought their own personal Air just for Ford guys to take a look around the vehicle, but there’s probably more to it than that.
– We still think that either Ford or more likely Lincoln is working on a vehicle that’s similar to the Air, otherwise it would have chosen another vehicle from a rival brand to compare against.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/566378/ford-lucid-air-dearborn-michigan/
NISSAN TO END MOST DEVELOPMENT OF NEW GASOLINE ENGINES – NIKKEI ASIA
– Nissan Motor will end development of new internal combustion engines in all its major markets except the U.S. and focus its resources on electric vehicles, becoming the first major Japanese automaker to make such a break, Nikkei has learned.
– Nissan has already stopped developing gasoline engines for sale in Europe.Limited development will continue on gasoline engines for the U.S. market, mainly those used in pickup trucks, where it expects a certain level of demand.
– In Europe, new Euro 7 emissions standards are on track to go into effect as early as 2025. Nissan has determined these rules will raise the cost of developing internal combustion engines to unsustainable levels.
– As gasoline vehicles remain on the roads, Nissan will improve existing engine designs rather than develop new ones. Plants that produce engines will remain open, and no job cuts are planned at this stage, people familiar with the company’s plans said.
SAMSUNG SDI VOLUNTARILY RECALLS EV BATTERIES IN THE U.S. | BUSINESSKOREA
– The company submitted a plan to recall high-voltage batteries for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) of U.S. carmakers Ford and Stellantis to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) on Jan. 28 (local time), the NHTSA said on Feb. 4.
– Samsung SDI thinks that a total of 1,163 high-voltage battery modules and 100 vehicles have related problems. “A sudden loss of driving power due to a high-voltage battery error expands the risk of collision,” the NHTSA explained on its website.
– Samsung SDI said that the battery defect was triggered by poor welding between cell terminals and bus bars supplied by its partner Nexplus.
Original Source : http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html
TESLA RECALLS NEARLY 27,000 EVS OVER DEFROSTING PROBLEM – ROADSHOW
– Tesla is recalling 26,681 of its Model 3, Model Y, Model S and Model X electric vehicles due to windshields that may not defrost quickly enough. The condition, which affects select cars of the company’s 2021 and 2022 model-year EVs, can result in diminished visibility, increasing the likelihood of a crash.
– According to documents posted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s recall website, the issue stems from a software error that can open a heat-pump valve unintentionally. This condition can “trap the refrigerant inside the evaporator, resulting in decreased defrosting performance.” That means the affected Tesla vehicles might not match the minimum performance requirement outlined in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard rules.
– Tesla developed the heat pump for 2020 model-year vehicles after owners of older models complained of poor cold-weather performance. In March of 2020, Musk tweeted, “Model Y heat pump is some of the best engineering I’ve seen in a while. Team did next-level work.”
– This is the third Tesla safety recall announced in recent weeks
TESLA MODEL Y, MODEL 3 ENTERS TOP 5 BEST SELLING CARS IN CALIFORNIA IN 2021 | TECH TIMES
– Tesla’s Model Y SUV and Model 3 sedan entered the top five best-selling cars in California, according to the sales data in 2021.
– The top-best selling cars data showed that the Toyota Camry sedan is the top-selling vehicle in 2021 with more than 61,000 units sold.
Meanwhile, two Tesla vehicles, the only EVs on the top five list, namely, the Model Y and the Model 3 took the 2nd and 5th ranking, respectively.
– The Model Y SUV sold more than 60,000 units, whereas the Model 3 only booked 53,572 sales
– Plug-in cars now account for 12.8% of the total vehicle market in 2021.
– EVs now take up to 9.5% of the market share in 2021.
TESLA PRODUCTION IN GERMANY TO START MID-MARCH AT EARLIEST | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE
– Production at Tesla’s German factory will not start until mid-March at the earliest, local broadcaster RBB reported.
Authorities are currently still reviewing the factory’s safety precautions, RBB reported, without citing any sources.
– Tesla is building the plant, its first factory in Europe, through a temporary approvals process.
Musk said last year he expected the factory in Gruenheide to have received its license to begin mass production of its Model Y cars by December, but bureaucratic hurdles and a court case over the factory’s water use have delayed final approval.
TESLA POSTS JOBS FOR GIGA BERLIN PAINT SHOP | TESLARATI
– Tesla recently invited people to join its paint team at Gigafactory Berlin via LinkedIn. Elon Musk has stated multiple times that Giga Berlin’s paint shop will be one of the most technologically advanced in the world.
– Tesla offers Giga Berlin paint shop employees competitive salaries in Germany, including TSLA shares or bonuses. The company also offers typical benefits, including a pension program, 30 vacation days, and insurance.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-gigafactory-berlin-paint-shop-jobs/
FIRST PRODUCTION EQUIPMENT ARRIVES AT TESLA’S GIGA BERLIN – TESLA DAILY
– Geico Taikisha will apparently be the partner tasked with helping Tesla achieve their paintshop aspirations in Europe. Musk has called Tesla’s pace of innovation their most significant competitive advantage, and Geico Taikisha emphasizes the same.”Innovation is our weapon of choice. We’re constantly increasing the technological possibilities in order to meet the needs of the most demanding customers in a highly competitive sector,” the company writes.
TESLA SPOTTED WORKING ON NEW CYBERTRUCK PROTOTYPE – ELECTREK
– Tesla was spotted working on a new Cybertruck prototype at Fremont factory. While it’s nice to see more footage of the highly-anticipated new electric pickup truck, the footage makes us a bit uncomfortable with how close the drones get to the prototype and Tesla employees.
– Tesla appears to be installing equipment, likely sensors on the prototype. Part of the trims around the bed and wheel wells are also covered.
– We are happy to get a another close look at the vehicle, however, we can’t condone this kind of drone flying.
SPY PHOTOS SHOW LOTUS DOING ROAD TESTING OF TYPE 132 SUV – CNEVPOST
– As the Chinese New Year begins, Geely’s Lotus Technology’s first electric vehicle may not be too far away from being announced.
The latest spy photos show Lotus is road-testing its all-electric SUV, the Type 132
– The images shared by the blogger show the model wrapped closely in camouflage, but the aggressive front-end design, sporty wheels and bezel-less doors can be seen.
– The Lotus Type 132 is better than the BMW iX M60, but with brands like Porsche, Aston Martin and Maserati set to launch similar models sooner or later, it remains to be seen if Lotus can get off to a good start
– The company announced then that it plans to launch four pure electric smart cars within five years, including a mid-size smart pure electric SUV codenamed Type 132, a pure electric smart four-door coupe Type 133, a new pure electric smart model Type 134, and a pure electric compact sports car Type 135.
SECOND-HAND ELECTRIC VEHICLES ARE BEING SOLD AT RECORD RATES | INEWS
– Demand for second-hand electric cars has hit record levels, with battery cars gaining value on the used car market and selling faster than ever before.
– More than 40,000 used EVs changed hands in 2021, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), a new record.
– At the same time, shipping delays and a shortage in semiconductor chips means the supply of new cars has been squeezed.
– Searches and advert views for second-hand EVs has jumped 80 per cent year on year on Auto Trader’s marketplace.
– Second-hand electric cars were sold within 26 days on average during January 2022, according to Auto Trader data released last month, the fastest turnover rate in their history.
– The electric Nissan Leaf was the fastest selling used car in 2021, taking an average of just 17 days to leave forecourts.
HAWAIIAN ELECTRIC PROGRAM TO ENCOURAGE ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGERS | DAILY ENERGY INSIDER
– The Hawaii Public Utilities Commission approved a five-year pilot program from Hawaiian Electric to encourage electric vehicle adoption by reducing electricity costs and demand charges for commercial customers who host charger systems.
– The program will incentivize through a time-of-use rate structure, rewarding the use of chargers during midday hours when solar energy is at its peak.
– These rates will take two forms: the EV-J and the EV-P rates.
– EV-J is focused on Level 2 and small-scale DC fast chargers and will be opened only to the first 1,000 customers. The second rate, EV-P, will allow even fewer customers – just 500 – but will encourage the use of larger, DC fast chargers. Both rates will offer lower demand charges than existing rates, though they will apply to electric vehicle charging only and demand new, dedicated meters to track this usage.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
If you could do any job in the EV industry what would it be?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL