If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 7th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
BMW I3 AND I3S NO LONGER FOR SALE IN US | INSIDEEVS
– BMW has refreshed its plug-in electric car lineup in the U.S. with the introduction of the new all-electric models, adjustment to prices of plug-in hybrids, and removal of some of the plug-ins from the offer.
– The all-electric list currently includes three models – two BMW i4 versions, and one BMW iX version. Customer deliveries are expected to start in March. BMW confirmed to InsideEVs that the BMW i3 and more sporty i3s version are no longer available in the 2022 model year. The i3 was sold since 2014 and over 45,000 were sold in the U.S. In the recent two years, the volume decreased to around 1,500 per year.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/565527/2022-bmw-plugin-lineup-us/
BMW CEO WARNS ABOUT PREMATURE END OF INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE CARS | OBSERVER
– During a closed-door meeting inside the German federal parliament (The Bundestag) last week, the auto giant’s CEO Oliver Zipse warned that it would be unwise to phase out internal combustion engine (ICE) technologies too soon when there is still a huge demand for gasoline cars.
– “Combustion engine is the largest [automobile] market segment in absolute terms by far in Germany, also in Europe and worldwide. Before you simply switch off something like this within eight or ten years, you have to know what you are doing,” Zipse said in the meeting
– “If you try to ban this technology in Germany and Europe, but the world market is not even that far, you will lose this technology in the world market as well,” Zipse argued. “That’s why we also warn against doing this too early and not giving the transformation a chance to develop with the markets.”
– “It would be harmful to simply give up a technology in which you have a global market position without need. I don’t think that would help the climate or anyone else,” he added.
GM’S EV TRUCK PRODUCTION PLANS WILL INCREASE SIXFOLD, REPORT SAYS | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
– General Motors plans to increase production of electric trucks and Cadillac SUVs this year by more than six times the previously planned output, according to information shared with suppliers.
– New details shared with suppliers indicate GM intends to increase production of its electric trucks and a new battery-powered Cadillac SUV to a total of 46,000 vehicles this year, up from a previous plan to build just 7,000 this year, according to information shared with suppliers.
– GM said in a statement on Tuesday: “As we have said, we have announced battery cell and assembly capacity investments that will give us more than 1 million units of EV capacity in North America by the end of 2025. We now have teams working to accelerate all of our upcoming EV launches, and our target is to deliver 400,000 EVs in North America over the course of 2022 and 2023.”
– GM told suppliers to its electric Hummer and Chevrolet Silverado trucks to plan for production of 21,000 of those vehicles this year at the automaker’s Factory Zero in Detroit
– GM told suppliers for its Cadillac Lyriq electric SUV to gear up to produce 25,000 of those vehicles this year, up from the previous 3,200 planned
BIDEN TOUTS AUSTRALIAN COMPANY’S NEW ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING PLANT IN TENNESSEE – CNNPOLITICS
– President Joe Biden on Tuesday praised an Australian company that makes chargers for electric vehicles for agreeing to build a manufacturing facility in Tennessee, saying the plant will “have a ripple effect” far beyond the state.
– Tritium, and the White House say the new plant will produce up to 30,000 electric vehicle chargers per year and create 500 local jobs.
– He also made a point to thank Tennessee’s Republican Gov. Bill Lee for his involvement in getting the facility to his state.
– He noted that later this week, the Biden administration will announce its state-by-state allocation for $5 billion in funding for electric vehicle chargers.
TESLA GIGA SHANGHAI’S CAPACITY EXPECTED TO EXCEED 1 MILLION – CNEVPOST
– Tesla Giga Shanghai’s capacity was 450,000 units last year and will see a huge increase after April, local media said.
– After the latest expansion project is completed, Giga Shanghai’s annual production capacity is expected to top 1 million units in the next few years, the person said.
– An environmental assessment report made public on November 23 last year revealed Tesla’s plans for the plant expansion
– Tesla will invest up to 1.2 billion yuan ($188 million) to “optimize” the production line for Giga Shanghai.
– Tesla estimated that the line optimization project will add 4,000 employees upon completion, bringing the total number of employees at the plant to 19,000.
– On February 7, the first business day of the Chinese Lunar New Year, Tesla posted a job ad on its WeChat account
– Tesla offered positions in 11 categories including sales and delivery, service, R&D, manufacturing, infrastructure, and supply chain, offering a total of 1,523 positions.
– Positions involving manufacturing and supply chain management provide 400 vacancies.
TESLA BATTERY SUPPLIER LGES CONFIRMS 4680 CELL DEVELOPMENT | TESLARATI
– LGES told Teslarati that it is working to diversify its cylindrical battery lineup and is developing 4680 batteries. The battery manufacturer did not disclose any client-related matters, specifically regarding 4680 batteries. However, the Korean battery supplier is a confirmed Tesla partner.
– At the TSLA Q4 and Full Year 2021 earnings call, Tesla stated that all its partners and suppliers were working on its 4680 form factor.
– Tesla believes the first vehicles with 4680 battery cells could be delivered this quarter. Giga Texas is already building Model Ys with Tesla’s structural battery packs and 4680 cells.
RAM REVOLUTON ELECTRIC PICKUP TEASED, NAME CONFIRMED
– We’ve known for about week that Ram had trademarked the Revolution name, which was believed to be used to designate its upcoming electric pickup truck. Well, now the manufacturer has confirmed the pickup’s name, Ram Revolution, and also provided us with a couple of teaser shots that give some clues about the upcoming model.
– Regarding its specs, it has been speculated that it will get battery packs with capacities ranging from 159 kWh to 200 kWh, with up to 500 miles of range and charge at a rate of 20 miles per minute.
– Finally, it has been speculated that the Revolution could ride on a different body-on-frame platform from Stellantis, called STLA Frame
ALFA ROMEO LOCKED INTO GOING ALL-ELECTRIC AND STELLANTIS WILL CATCH UP | MOTORTREND
– Stellantis has begun its pivot to electrification for all 14 of its brands, and today it announced that Alfa Romeo will be the first of them to ditch the internal combustion engine. The launch of the new 2023 Alfa Romeo Tonale plug-in hybrid represents the first electrified model in what will be a 100-percent electric lineup by 2027.
– The Tonale will come standard as a hybrid in both Europe and Asia, and is available with both a traditional turbocharged I-4, and as a plug-in hybrid with over 30 miles of range in North America.
– Stellantis has previously said that performance vehicles riding on its new STLA electric platforms will be able to accelerate from 0-62 mph in as little as 2.0 seconds, and add 200 miles of range in just 10 minutes
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/alfa-romeo-ev-plans-2027/
VOLVO CARS MOVING TO CAST PARTS WITH ‘GIGAPRESS’ MACHINES
– Volvo Cars will invest SEK 10 billion in its Torslanda manufacturing plant in Sweden in coming years, in preparation for the production of that next generation of fully electric cars.
– The introduction of mega casting of aluminium body parts for the next generation of electric Volvo models is the most significant and exciting change implemented as part of the investment package. Mega casting creates a number of benefits in terms of sustainability, cost and car performance during the cars life time, and Volvo Cars is one of the first car makers to invest in this process.
– Casting major parts of the floor structure of the car as one single aluminium part reduces weight, which in turn improves the energy efficiency and thereby the electric range of the car. This also allows Volvo designers to optimally use the available space inside the cabin and luggage area, boosting the overall versatility of the car.
– The Torslanda plant has an annual production capacity of 300,000 cars and is one of Volvo Cars’ longest-operating manufacturing facilities.
VOLVO PLANS NEW MEGA-CASTING TECHNIQUE FOR NEXT-GENERATION ELECTRIC CARS | AUTO EXPRESS
– Dr. Mikael Fermér, Volvo’s lead engineer for its mega-casting project, told Auto Express: “Replacing 100 parts with one reduces the complexity of manufacturing, so that’s one good thing. If we look at the CO2 emissions of producing a steel floor with a cast aluminium floor, it’s a major reduction. So that’s important also. We say the cost for a cast aluminium floor and a steel floor is ballpark the same,” he said, “but you always have benefits. We have a weight reduction for instance, but also one thing that I think is important is the design flexibility that you get.”
– “You could say that it’s an architecture without an end-of-life,” said Fermér. “You can continuously update, and everything you learn, you can put into the next die or the next product.”
ORDERS FOR VWS ID BUZZ COULD START IN MAY THIS YEAR | NEXT GREEN CAR
– Due to make its public debut on 9th March, the ID. Buzz should – according to German publication Automobilwoche – be coming to car dealerships in September this year.
– According to the report, which cites company sources, Volkswagen wants to launch the new ID Buzz electric transporter in September. Although official prices are not expected until ordering begins (which will be in May, according to Automobilwoche), the report states that the starting price will be just under 60,000 euros – around £50,500.
– Both the People version, with five seats for private customers, and the ID. Buzz Cargo will apparently be launched in September, according to the report.
VW ID. BUZZ RUMOURED TO RELEASE UNDER €60,000 | ELECTRIVE.COM
– Now the German publication Auto, Motor und Sport, citing its own sources, also reports on the possible prices of the ID. Buzz and becomes more concrete: The report states that the ID. Buzz for passenger car customers is “roughly based on the price of the ID.4, adjusted for equipment”. The report assumes that the version with the 77 kWh battery will be priced below the 55,000 euro mark, specifically “around 53,900 euros”.
– With a base price of 53,900 euros, the ID. Buzz would still qualify for the reduced environmental bonus, which corresponds to a subsidy of 7,975 euros until the end of 2022. After deducting the subsidy, the price before customer would therefore start at around 45,000 euros. According to the car magazine, there will also be a “First Edition” at market launch, but this is likely to start at prices above 70,000 euros.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/02/07/vw-id-buzz-rumoured-to-release-under-e60000/
FORD IN TALKS WITH CHINA’S CATL TO SUPPLY EV BATTERIES | FINANCIAL POST
– Ford Motor Company has been in talks with China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited (CATL) to supply batteries to the automotive giant’s electric-vehicle manufacturing plant in Ontario, according to two sources familiar with the issue.
– The discussions, which have not previously been reported, come amid a flurry of deals between automakers and battery suppliers as part of an industry-wide shift toward EVs. CATL is the world’s largest manufacturer of power batteries and a central piece of the Chinese government’s ambitions to expand the country’s already dominant position in the electric-vehicle space.
– One of the sources, whom The Logic has granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the issue, said Canadian officials have raised concerns about the prospect of China supplying batteries for Canadian electric vehicles, given how the Chinese government uses its commanding market positions to advance its geopolitical aims.
– CATL is not likely to build a facility in Ontario, and would instead source its batteries externally and supply them to Ford’s Oakville, Ont., plant, the person said.
– In 2020, Ford announced plans to shift its Oakville facility, where it currently makes the Ford Edge and Lincoln Nautilus, to produce EVs.
HOW DR EVIL AND ELECTRIC VEHICLES ARE POWERING SUPER BOWL LVI | THE DRUM
– Automakers including Kia, Nissan, BMW and General Motors are all expected to advertise new electric vehicles (EVs) during Super Bowl LVI, which airs on NBC on February 13. Are we reaching a tipping point in the automotive market?
– The glimmer in Dr Evil’s eye as he promises to do something good is a sign of the times. General Motors today unveiled a teaser ad featuring Mike Myers as the internet-beloved Austin Powers antagonist.
– US sales of all-electric vehicles surged in 2021, seeing 83% growth, per recent data by Wards Intelligence. EVs now account for some 3% of the market.
– Kia’s 60-second Super Bowl LVI ad tells the story of a robotic puppy who, upon witnessing a man charge his Kia EV6, feels he’s found his ideal human buddy, and follows him relentlessly until he makes it into the man’s life – and car.
– BMW will promote its new line of electric models, which include the iX and i4, in a Super Bowl LVI spot headlined by A-listers Arnold Schwarzenegger and Salma Hayek
– Barcelona-based electric vehicle charging company Wallbox is making its Super Bowl debut this year with an ad that aims to demystify EVs for everyday consumers – by demonstrating that even lighting strike survivor Seth Thomas has overcome his fear of electricity and converted to an EV with at-home charging.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
If you could do any job in the EV industry what would it be?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL