If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 7th February. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA HIRED MORE THAN 28,500 FULL-TIME EMPLOYEES IN 2021 – MARKETWATCH
– Tesla hired 28,533 employees in 2021, to boost its workforce by 40.3%, according to the electric vehicle maker’s annual report. Tesla said as of Dec. 31, 2021, the number of full-time employees it and its subsidiaries had worldwide was 99,290, which compares with 70,757 at the end of 2020.
– GM said it had 83,000 (53%) hourly employees as of Dec. 31, 2021 and had 74,000 salaried employees for a total of 157,000, up 1.3% from 155,000 total employees in 2020. Ford disclosed late Friday that it had about 183,000 employees, down 1.6% from 186,000 a year ago.
– As of December 31, 2021, our full-time count for our and our subsidiaries’ employees worldwide was 99,290. To date, we have not experienced any work stoppages as a result of labor disputes, and we consider our relationship with our employees to be good. Our key human capital objectives in managing our business include attracting, developing and retaining top talent while integrating diversity, equity and inclusion principles and practices into our core values.
– In the first quarter of 2021, we invested an aggregate $1.50 billion in bitcoin. The fair market value of our bitcoin holdings as of December 31, 2021 was $1.99 billion. We believe in the long-term potential of digital assets both as an investment and also as a liquid alternative to cash.
TESLA HELD NEARLY $2 BILLION WORTH OF BITCOIN AT THE END OF 2021 – CNBC
– Tesla briefly accepted bitcoin as a payment option but stopped in May over environmental concerns.Tesla doesn’t account for bitcoin as a mark-to-market asset, meaning it only affects earnings when it buys or sells the currency. Therefore, the drop in the value of bitcoin shouldn’t affect earnings as long as Tesla hasn’t divested of any of its holdings.
TESLA SUBPOENAED BY SEC ABOUT COMPLYING WITH MUSK SETTLEMENT – LAW.COM
– Tesla received another subpoena from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission about Elon Musk’s tweeting in 2018 that he was considering taking the carmaker private.
– The SEC issued the subpoena Nov. 16, seeking information about Tesla’s governance processes and compliance with a settlement reached with the agency in September 2018, the company said in a regulatory filing.
– Ten days before the SEC issued its November subpoena, Musk took an over-the-weekend Twitter poll asking whether he should sell 10% of his Tesla stake. The carmaker’s shares plunged 16% the following two trading days.
– Tesla didn’t elaborate in its filing Monday about what prompted the SEC’s subpoena.
– Musk’s lawyers said in a court filing last week that his August 2018 tweet declaring that he was considering taking Tesla private was “entirely truthful.” Shareholders claim in a class-action suit pending in federal court in San Francisco that Musk’s tweets cost them billions of dollars in losses. They’re seeking a judge’s ruling ahead of a trial set for May 31 that Musk’s tweets were false statements.
TESLA OFFERING FREE SUPERCHARGING IN FOUR EUROPEAN COUNTRIES FOR WINTER HOLIDAYS – DRIVE TESLA
– Tesla has been known to offer free or discounted Supercharging at stations in California and across the US to avoid long lineups during busy holiday periods.
For the first time, a similar incentive is coming to four European countries in February and March for their winter holidays.
– Owners can plug in for free at 79 different Supercharger stations in Germany and Sweden, as well as France and Norway, where Tesla this week opened up the Supercharger network to owners of other electric vehicles at select locations (none of which are included in this promotion).
Days: Friday to Sunday between February 11th and February 27th
Days: Friday to Sunday between February 18th and March 6th
Days: Friday to Sunday between February 18th and March 6th
Days: Friday to Sunday between February 18th and March 6th
ELECTRIFY AMERICA NEWSROOM
– BMW of North America and Electrify America today announced an agreement to provide 2022 BMW EV customers with two years of 30-minute complimentary charging sessions at all Electrify America public charging stations, from the date of vehicle purchase. The program will launch with the sale of the new all-electric BMW iX xDrive50, BMW i4 eDrive40 and BMW i4 M50 in March.
– With no additional cost to the vehicle’s purchase price, customers will immediately have access to complimentary charging at more than 3,000 Electrify America chargers across the U.S.
Original Source : https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/168
VOLVO CARS AND NORTHVOLT 3,000-JOB BATTERY PLANT IN GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN – VOLVO NEWSROOM
– Volvo Cars and Northvolt have selected Gothenburg, Sweden to establish a new battery manufacturing plant which will commence operations in 2025, create up to 3,000 jobs and complement the planned R&D centre that both companies announced in December as part of an investment of approximately SEK 30 billion.
– The new plant and close ties with Northvolt will significantly strengthen Volvo Cars’ electrification strategy as the company aims to produce and sell only fully electric cars by 2030.
– Construction of the plant will start in 2023 and it will produce state-of-the-art battery cells, specifically developed for use in next generation pure electric Volvo and Polestar cars.
The plant will have a potential annual cell production capacity of up to 50 gigawatt hours (GWh), which would supply batteries for approximately half a million cars per year.
– The Swedish location of the plant, which will be built in Torslanda, Gothenburg offers benefits in terms of a direct route into Volvo Cars’ largest car plant, access to infrastructure, a strong pipeline of renewable energy supply and relevant job competences, as well as its proximity to both Volvo Cars’ and Northvolt’s R&D units.
VOLVO APPOINTS FORMER TESLA EXECUTIVE TO LEAD BATTERY PRODUCTION | AUTOCAR
– Volvo has appointed former Tesla executive Adrian Clarke to drive forward its battery cell production company, as part of the firm’s joint venture with Northvolt.
– The research and development centre will be the first step in a £2.5 billion strategy to build batteries for future Volvo EVs. Volvo said the new site will create “a few hundred jobs” and makes Volvo “one of the few automotive brands to make battery cell development and production part of its end-to-end engineering capabilities”.
– Volvo plans to initially source 15GWh of batteries per year from Northvolt’s existing Skellefteå facility from 2024 (when the XC60 EV is expected to be launched) before the new dedicated ‘gigafactory’ facility goes into service.
GLENCORE & BRITISHVOLT FORM RECYCLING JOINT VENTURE – ELECTRIVE.COM
– Mining group Glencore has formed a joint venture with British battery cell start-up Britishvolt to recycle batteries. The partners plan a recycling plant at Britannia Refined Metals operation, a Glencore company located in Northfleet, England.
– the plant will be operational by mid-2023 and will recycle at least 10,000 tonnes of lithium-ion batteries per year
– the town is located directly east of London on the Thames. Therefore, the recycling plant will be built almost 500 kilometres south of Britishvolt’s battery factory in Blyth.
– In August 2021, it was announced that Britishvolt would purchase cobalt for battery production from the mining group.
RIVIAN DELIVERY VANS WILL HAVE THREE DERIVATIVES – AUTOEVOLUTION
– We still need to know a lot more about the Amazon delivery vans Rivian has developed. Thankfully, the own company provided more details in its IPO documents, but it took a tweet from Reilly Brennan to discover them. Thanks to him, we now know that the electric van will have three derivatives: EDV 500, 700, and 900.
– The entry-level EDV 500 is the only one that offers precisely what its name implies: a storage capacity of 500 cubic feet (14,158 liters). With a range of up to 150 miles,
– the EDV 700, which also shares the same range with its cheaper sibling. What makes the EDV 700 different is its size and storage capacity. Being 277 in (7.04 m) long and with a 187 in (4.75 m) wheelbase, it can carry 660 ft³ (18,689 l) of cargo.
USPS ANNOUNCES PLANS TO ORDER 5,000 EVS & ACHIEVE 70% FLEET ELECTRIFICATION – TESLARATI
– On Sunday, February 6, the United States Postal Service (USPS) announced plans to submit an initial order for 5,000 electric delivery vans. The announcement was made to show that the USPS is committed to the fiscally responsible rollout of electric-powered vehicles for America’s largest federal fleet.
– On February 23, 2021, the USPS announced a 10-year contract with Oshkosh, WI, to manufacture a new generation of U.S.-built postal delivery vehicles. At the time, the agency stated that the new delivery van from Oshkosh would “drive the most dramatic modernization of the USPS fleet in three decades.”
As per the contract’s initial $482 million investment, Oshkosh was supposed to finalize the production design of the agency’s Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV). The agreement also stated that Oshkosh would assemble 50,000 to 165,000 NGDVs for the USPS. Last month, the NGDV’s design was showcased during CES 2022 in Las Vegas.
– The agency’s plans to spend up to $11.3 billion on as many as 165,000 new gas-powered delivery vans in the next decade could have major implications for President Biden’s goal to convert federal cars and trucks to clean energy.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/usps-ngdv-electric-vehicle-fleet/
GM PLANNING A MORE AFFORDABLE EV THAN THE CHEVY EQUINOX EV – GM AUTHORITY
– GM is plotting a new Ultium based EV that will be more affordable than the Chevy Equinox EV, which will be priced from roughly $30,000 when it arrives in the fall of 2023.
– It seems likely this more affordable EV will be a subcompact crossover that will undercut the Chevy Equinox EV in size. We envision such a vehicle as being roughly the same size as the Chevy Bolt EUV, but with superior range and performance enabled by the more energy-dense Ultium battery pack and more efficient Ultium Drive electric motors. The Chevy Bolt EUV, as a reminder, is based on GM’s ageing BEV2 platform and utilizes a 65 kWh battery pack with outgoing chemistry.
ROLLS-ROYCE REVEALS NEW SPIRIT OF ECSTASY HOOD ORNAMENT FOR ELECTRIC ERA – AUTOBLOG
– In the world of automobiles, the Rolls-Royce hood ornament is one of the most iconic, and now it’s getting a new look for the electric era. Or as Rolls prefers, “she” is getting a new look.
– The first Rolls-Royce vehicle to wear this new Spirit of Ecstasy will be the upcoming Spectre electric car
– Rolls-Royce says the new design is sculpted to both look and be more aerodynamic than the outgoing model. Instead of standing with legs straight, tilting at the waist and feet together, the new ornament is “braced for the wind, one leg forward, body tucked low.”
– Plus, the robes (they’re not wings!) flapping behind her have been reshaped to be more aerodynamic and look more realistic.
– The ornament is the product of 830 hours of design modeling and wind tunnel testing. Instead of drawing it out on paper or real-life sculpting, though, this Spirit of Ecstasy was designed via digital “sculpting” on a computer.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2022/02/06/rolls-royce-reveals-new-spirit-of-ecstasy/
Electric vehicles bring down CO2 emissions of new cars in UK to lowest level ever – Guardian
– The carbon dioxide emissions of new cars sold in the UK dropped to the lowest level ever in 2021 thanks to the unprecedented surge in electric vehicle sales, industry data suggests.
– Average new car CO2 emissions fell by 11.2%, to 119.7g for every kilometre driven, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
– Battery electric vehicles accounted for only 12% of UK sales during 2021, but they rapidly drag down the figures because they produce zero exhaust emissions.
– SMMT data published in May showed that battery electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids made up only 1.3% of the 40.35m cars on UK roads. In 2019, road transport accounted for 25% of the UK’s carbon dioxide emissions
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
If you could do any job in the EV industry what would it be?
Email me any feedback to: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
BATTERY REPORTS FOR EVS AT RECURRENTAUTO.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL