If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 22nd January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new, mysterisouly names, Patreon Producer N FROM CANADA
KIA EV6 NAMED 2022 WHAT CAR? CAR OF THE YEAR
– The Kia EV6 has been named What Car? Car of the year 2022.
– The electric SUV earned the top prize for setting new benchmarks for electric cars, with an official range of 328 miles and managing 224 miles in a near worst-case low temperature conditions test conducted by What Car?’s testers. The judges also praised its super-fast, 800V charging capability, allowing for a 10-80% charge in as little ast 18 minutes.
– The win makes Kia only the third non-European manufacturer to win the top prize at the What Car? Awards, which began in 1978.
– FAMILY SUV: Volvo XC40 Recharge T4 Plus (Dark Theme)
– SMALL EV: Cupra Born 58kWh V2
– LARGE EV: Tesla Model 3 Long Range
– PERFORMANCE CAR: Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo 4S
– INNOVATION AWARD: Gridserve
VOLKSWAGEN GIVING ELECTRIC VEHICLES CHIP PRIORITY AS ASSEMBLY TO START IN CHATTANOOGA PLANT
– Volkswagen’s electric vehicles are getting priority over conventional models in terms of the availability of semiconductor chips as the company’s Chattanooga plant soon launches a battery-powered SUV, an official said.
– Volkswagen Group of America became the No. 2 seller of EVs in the United States last year with its ID.4 SUV and other electric vehicles
– VW is spending $800 million in an expansion at the Chattanooga plant to ready for production of the ID.4 later this year. Early prototypes are already coming down the assembly line.
TESLA’S BERLIN FACTORY TO ELECT WORKS COUNCIL ON FEB. 28
– Tesla’s Berlin factory will elect its first works council on Feb. 28, Germany’s largest union IG Metall said on Thursday, expressing concern that it was too soon for the election to result in a truly representative body.
– Only one in six of the roughly 12,000 workers expected at the plant have been hired so far,
– calling an election before a wider swathe of workers are hired will lead to a council top-heavy with management
– Under German labor law, only employees who have been working at a company for at least six months can stand for election.
TESLA GIGA BERLIN: MORE THAN 100 MIG TESLA MODEL Y IN PARKING LOT
– One of the latest drone flyovers of the Tesla Giga Berlin plant in Grünheide near Berlin, Germany indicate that Tesla has already produced a substantial number of pre-production Model Y.
– Tobias Lindh reports that more than 100 units were seen in the parking lot on January 18.
– it is allowed to produce 2,000 Model Y bodies (up from 250 previously), which potentially means also 2,000 fully assembled pre-production cars.
– If the manufacturer launches the Made-in-Germany (MIG) cars with the 2170-type cylindrical cell battery, it actually should not differ much compared to the ones produced in California or China.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/562032/tesla-giga-berlin-100-modely
TESLA INSURANCE GOES LIVE IN ARIZONA AND OHIO
– Tesla Insurance has officially gone live in Arizona and Ohio, becoming the fourth and fifth states to have access to the company’s in-house coverage program.
– Tesla officially confirmed that its insurance program was officially active in Arizona and Ohio by adding the two states to the Insurance webpage on its website. Arizona and Ohio officially join California, Texas, and Illinois as the other states to offer the in-house program.
– Tesla Insurance is expected to launch in New York in the coming months, CEO Elon Musk said in September.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-insurance-arizona-ohio
37 PER CENT RISE IN PUBLIC ELECTRIC CAR CHARGERS
– Official figures revealed by the Department for Transport show the number of public charge points for electric cars rose by 37 per cent in 2021.
– That amounts to 7,600 new devices, which means, as of January 1, 2022, there were a total of 28,375 public charge points available, of which 5,156 were rapid chargers
– . In the capital, there are 102 public chargers per 100,000 of population, while at the other end of the scale Northern Ireland has just 18 per 100,000.
– The average provision across the UK is 42 per 100,000.
– DfT says its information is provided by the EV charge point app Zap-Map, which claims to record 95 per cent of all available devices. The government’s own database (the National Chargepoint Registry) records fewer than 20,000 public charge points nationwide
– Zap-Map doesn’t record how many cars can be charged by a single charge point device, so the true picture of charge capacity is likely to be higher than the stated number, the DfT says.
GM TO DELIVER ELECTRIC SUV CADILLAC LYRIQ TO CUSTOMERS IN ‘FEW MONTHS’
– General Motors Co’s (GM.N) pre-production version of electric SUV Cadillac Lyriq have been assembled and the final production version is expected to be delivered to customers in a few months, President Mark Reuss said in a LinkedIn post on Thursday
– Lyriq, an all-electric mid-size SUV, was unveiled by GM in August 2020 in a move to transform its traditional combustion engine lineup to an electric one.GM’s Cadillac will offer the Lyriq, Symboliq, Celestiq, Escalade EV as well as a compact SUV by 2025.
CADILLAC LAUNCHES PRE-SERIES PRODUCTION OF THE LYRIQ
– Cadillac has started pre-series production of its first electric model, the Lyriq, at GM’s Spring Hill assembly plant in the state of Tennessee. The first deliveries of the electric car are expected to take place “in a few months”.
– CEO Mary Barra commented under Reuss’ post, “Our teams continue to prove that we can do remarkable things when we share a vision. Thank you to the Spring Hill and Cadillac teams for all their hard work to make this milestone possible.” She said she couldn’t wait “for customers to experience how the Cadillac Lyriq truly redefines expectations for luxury electric vehicles.”
– In September, reservations were opened in the US and closed again only a few minutes later because the ‘Debut Edition’ was already sold out.
ROLLS-ROYCE ‘SPIRIT OF INNOVATION’ IS THE WORLD’S FASTEST ALL-ELECTRIC AIRCRAFT
– Rolls-Royce can now say it with authority: Its Spirit of Innovation is now the fastest electric aircraft in the world.
– The company announced Thursday that Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI)—the Switzerland-based organization that controls and certifies world aeronautical and astronautical records—has verified two records set by the airplane last November at the Ministry of Defense’s Boscombe Down test site:
– Maximum speed over 3 kilometers: 555.9 km/h (345.4 mph/300.1 knots), which is 213.04 km/h (132 mph/114.7 knots) above the previous record set in 2017 by the Siemens eAircraft’s Extra 330 LE Aerobatic aircraft. Maximum speed over 15 kilometers: 532.1 km/h (330 mph/286.7 knots) — which is 292.8 km/h (182 mph/158.1 knots) faster than the old mark.
– Rolls-Royce says the sleek, blue-nosed airplane’s 400 kW electric powertrain, including 6,000 battery cells, is “the most power-dense propulsion battery pack ever assembled in aerospace.”
BIRD UNVEILS STATE-OF-THE-ART BATTERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
– Bird is proud to bring to market its state-of-the-art BMS and architecture for battery cells. These innovations, paired with components from top tier suppliers such as LG and Panasonic, undergo extensive testing in Bird’s research and development center.
– The BMS is designed to mitigate failure modes, common with lithium-ion batteries, and to help keep riders and communities safe. The system features all of the functionality of a BMS found in full-size electric cars including cell monitoring, reporting, rebalancing and anomaly detection. Bird BMS also provides:
– Real-time diagnostics that measure battery conditions like humidity levels and temperature to avoid pushing cells beyond their rated capacity.
– The industry’s only dynamic battery power limits to maintain safety and performance regardless of changing conditions such as extreme temperatures or areas with inclines or declines.
– Effective communication and data capture that enables Bird’s operations and engineering teams to analyze historical statistics as well as monitor diagnostics and performance across large fleets of vehicles.
CARGO EBIKES COMING TO MANCHESTER, UK
– A fleet of electric cargo bikes and trailers is to be launched in Manchester offering an affordable and green alternative to cars.
– 26 electric cargo bikes and six trailers will be made available, allowing businesses and community groups to hire the bikes but also as an option for residents across the city.
– The bikes, which can travel at speeds of up to 15mph, are able to comfortably carry a weight of 250kg, allowing people to transport cargo with ease, and help reduce reliance on motor vehicles. For public use the bikes start at £12 per day, up to 14 days of usage.
Original Source: https://ilovemanchester.com/ebikes-coming-to-manchester
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What TV, Print or Digital advertising have you seen for EVs recently which you noticed, or thought was memorable?
Email me your answer now: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL