If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 21st January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Producer JACK JAQUETTE
SK INNOVATION AIMS TO ADVANCE ALL-SOLID-STATE BATTERIES
– SK Innovation has revealed that it will be collaborating with a research team led by Professor Lee Seung-woo of Georgia Tech in the United States with the aim of advancing “the era of next-generation all-solid-state batteries.”
– Professor Lee Seung-woo and his team have developed a solid electrolyte that is said to boost ionic conductivity by 100 times.
– Until now realising a solid electrolyte that simultaneously ensures ionic conductivity and safety while functioning at room temperature has been the biggest hurdle with this technology.
– Last October, the S.Korean battery giant SK Innovation started to work with Solid Power, to develop all-solid-state batteries that can be made in the current lithium-ion battery production facilities.
ZEEKR 001 2022 REVIEW
– After owning Volvo for a decade and making numerous global investments in the automotive market, Chinese firm Geely should by now need no introductions.
– Zeekr, however does. It’s Geely’s new all-electric brand, spun out from Lynk&Co, a nascent maker itself. Unsurprisingly, given the name, the 001 is Zeekr’s first model
– Billed as the world’s first electric shooting brake, the 001 aims to cash in on the growth in demand for performance EVs.
– 536bhp is generated by two electric motors – one per axle – and a 0-62mph time of 3.8sec makes it a match for the new BMW i4 M50.
– The 001 also uses air suspension that can set the ground clearance between 117mm and 205mm and two batteries are offered, with 86kWh and 100kWh.
– Charging rates can be as high as 360kW
– in China. However, once these are resolved, the car is likely to be heading to Europe. The question is ‘as what?’
WHITE HOUSE OPTIMISTIC EV CREDITS WILL STAY IN REWORKED SPENDING BILL
– White House National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy expressed confidence on Thursday that tax credits for electric cars would survive in a reworked Build Back Better climate and social spending bill after President Joe Biden signaled willingness to accept “chunks” of the stalled legislation.
– “I’m not seeing any dispute about the need to continue to make sure that these technologies are affordable and accessible to everyone,” McCarthy said during a question and answer session at the Washington Auto Show.
– The $550 billion infrastructure bill that was signed into law by Biden in November includes $7.5 billion for electrical vehicle charging stations, but a proposal to offer as much as $12,500 in tax credits for buyers of new and used plug-in car purchases remains in limbo as Congress struggles to pass Biden’s proposed Build Back Better bill.
– “EVs don’t just help us reach our climate and air quality goals,” McCarthy said. “When you drive one of these things, you want one. So we are talking about a real market here. Not one that we have to push.”
LONDON TAXIS DRIVE ELECTRIC EXPANSION INTO GREECE AND FRANCE
– The London Electric Vehicle Company, formerly known as The London Taxi Corporation and famous for its black London taxicabs, is continuing its European expansion, with dealerships announced for France and Greece.
– LEVC is backed by Chinese automotive giant Geely and has been expanding its line-up with its VN5, a fully customisable electric vehicle (with range extender) that is most recognisable as a taxicab accommodating up to six passengers or fitted with accessibility features for disabled passengers.
– But the VN5 can also be built out as a van
– The VN5 joins the TX Taxi taxicab and TX Shuttle in LEVCs range of commercial electric vehicles, but the company has also designed the world’s first electric campervan, the e-Camper, which was launched late last year.
– Late 2021 saw LEVC appoint three dealerships in Sweden, and this month LEVC has appointed dealerships in France and Greece.
DECEMBER 2021: TOP 10 CARS SOLD IN NETHERLANDS ALL EVS
– Dec 2021 total: 35,351
1 Skoda Enyaq 1,437
2 Ford Mustang Mach E 1,249
3 Volvo XC40 1,212
4 Volkswagen ID4 1.208
5 Audi Q4 1.147
6 Cupra Born 1.135
7 Polestar 2 1.060
8 Kia Niro 1.022
9 Volkswagen ID3 986
10 Tesla Model 3 974
Original Source : https://www.kentekenradar.nl/registraties/
S.KOREA’S LG ENERGY SOLUTION SEES RECORD RETAIL DEMAND FOR IPO
– Retail investors bid for a record 114 trillion won ($96 billion) worth of shares in the IPO of South Korean battery maker LG Energy Solution (LGES), adding to the frenzy for a piece of the biggest public offering in the country.
– LGES, which commands more than 20% of the global electric vehicle battery market and supplies Tesla Inc (TSLA.O), General Motors Co (GM.N) and Volkswagen AG (VOWG_p.DE) among others, had set aside about 25% of the total shares on offer for retail bidders, according to Reuters calculations.
– The company is expected to list on Jan. 27.
– The IPO price values LGES at about 70.2 trillion won ($60 billion) and will make it South Korea’s third most-valuable company after Samsung Electronics Co (005930.KS) and SK Hynix Inc (000660.KS).
AUDI RS Q E-TRON AT THE DAKAR RALLY: SUCCESSFUL START INTO A NEW ERA IN ELECTRIFIED RACING
– The most complex race car in Audi’s history to date passed its baptism of fire at the Dakar Rally with flying colors. All three Audi RS Q e-tron rally cars mastered the world’s toughest off-road rally on their debut in Saudi Arabia. In total, they covered around 24,000 desert kilometers – almost three times the 8,700 test kilometers that Audi had previously completed. Mattias Ekström/Emil Bergkvist finished ninth in Jeddah as the best Audi driver team in a demanding edition of the desert classic. With the arrival of electric mobility, Audi has ushered in a new era in off-road rallying.
– Audi developed the RS Q e-tron to operational readiness in just over a year. Thanks to the highly efficient electrified powertrain that is charged by an onboard combustion engine, the three race cars competed in the new T1 Ultimate class for low-emission vehicles. Audi’s prototypes have made history as the first representatives of this new class and achieved stage wins.
Original Source : https://finance.yahoo.com/news/audi-rs-q-e-tron-150600293.html
AUDI TO INSTALL ULTRA-FAST 150KW EV CHARGING ACROSS SOUTH AFRICA
– Audi South Africa is in partnership with GridCars to install ultra-fast charging stations across the country and will become the first electric vehicle brand to invest in this technology through publicly accessible sites.
– The charge points will provide up to 150kW of direct current (DC) charge to electric vehicles; meaning that an Audi e-tron 55 (with a 95kWh battery) will charge from 10% to 90% in approximately 30 minutes
– Audi will invest in setting up 70 new EV charge connectors across 33 sites in order to expand on the existing public charging network in South Africa, for all electric vehicle drivers.
– GridCars has already begun the installation of Audi branded chargers at various points across the country, the project kickoff started in December 2021 and will carry on through early 2022 in time for the planned retail launch of the Audi e-tron range in quarter one this year.
REFRESH TESLA MODEL X WITH CCS2 CHARGE PORT SPOTTED IN NORWAY
– Tesla unveiled a brand new CCS2 charge port on the refresh Model X at a media event in Taiwan earlier this month.
– The new charge port gave hope to customers outside of North America, where CCS is the standard in many markets, that deliveries of the refresh design may be starting earlier than the current “second half of 2022” estimate.
– While Tesla is still holding to that estimate, a refresh Model X was recently spotted in Norway.
– Not only is it the refresh design with the yoke steering wheel, it is also sporting the new charge port design.
USA: ROTTEN ROBBIE DEPLOYS FIRST BATTERY-INTEGRATED EV CHARGERS IN SILICON VALLEY
– Rotten Robbie has partnered with FreeWire Technologies to implement ultrafast EV chargers the company’s San Jose, California, stations. The deployment marks the firm’s first EV charger solution as well as Silicon Valley’s first publicly accessible Boost Charger, FreeWire’s battery-integrated installation.
– Rotten Robbie is a family-owned business that accumulates over eight decades of experience in the service station and convenience store sector.
Original Source : https://www.petrolplaza.com/news/29045
SMART’S NEW ELECTRIC SUV WILL LOOK ALMOST LIKE THE CONCEPT #1
– The production version of the Smart Concept #1 has been spied testing in China covered in camouflage and body cladding.
– Smart introduced the Concept #1 at the Munich Motor Show in September last year, promising that the eventual production model would look very similar to the show car. It is the first ground-up EV from Smart since Daimler and Geely announced a tie-up to keep the Smart brand alive.
– The electric SUV will probably have the same dimensions as the concept. The latter is 4,290 mm (168.9-inches) long, 1,910 mm (75.2-inches) wide, and 1,698 mm (66.9-inches) tall, making it slightly shorter but wider and taller than the Mercedes-Benz EQA.
BRITISHVOLT: ELECTRIC CAR BATTERY PLANT GETS MILLIONS IN FUNDING
– A firm planning mass production of electric car batteries in the UK has secured government funding for its proposed factory in Northumberland.
– The BBC understands the government has committed about £100m through its Automotive Transformation Fund.
– Britishvolt also announced backing from investors Tritax and Abrdn, that should unlock about £1.7bn in private funding.
– At full capacity, expected to be achieved by the end of the decade, the factory will produce enough battery cells for more than 300,000 electric vehicle battery packs per year.
– Last year, Nissan’s partner, China’s Envision AESC, announced it would build an electric battery plant to supply an expansion of electric vehicle production at the Japanese carmaker’s plant in Sunderland.
Original Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60066432
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What TV, Print or Digital advertising have you seen for EVs recently which you noticed, or thought was memorable?
Email me your answer now: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
JUKKA KUKKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL