If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 18th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Executive Producer DAVID DYSART
FRANCE: MORE THAN 315,000 PLUG-IN ELECTRIC CARS WERE SOLD IN 2021
– The French car market closed the year 2021 with over 1.65 million new registrations
– the plug-in electric segment expanded significantly to over 315,000 units (up 62% year-over-year).
– Passenger BEVs: 162,106 – up 46% Passenger PHEVs: 141,234 – up 88%
– more than 780,000 plug-ins were sold in France since 2010, including almost 500,000 all-electric cars.
– The three top all-electric passenger models are: Tesla Model 3: 24,911 Renault ZOE: 23,573 (plus 2,127 commercial versions) Peugeot e-208: 17,859 (plus 1,090 commercial versions)
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/561101/france-plugin-car-sales-2021
BATTERY ELECTRIC CAR SALES FINALLY OVERTOOK THE DIESEL INSTITUTION IN EUROPE
– Battery-electric car sales overtook diesel for the first time in Europe, the Financial Times reported Sunday.
– This is an important milestone, as diesel has been the default choice for European car buyers for decades. Registrations of new “electrified” vehicles—including hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and battery-electric cars combined—pushed past diesel in September 2020, but this is the first time battery-electric models have outsold diesels on their own, the report said.
– In December 2021, more than one fifth of new cars sold across 18 European markets were all-electric, while diesel cars (including diesel hybrids) accounted for less than 19% of sales, according to the report, which is based on data compiled by the Financial Times and independent auto analyst Matthias Schmidt.
– 176,000 battery-electric vehicles were sold in Western Europe that month, compared to around 160,000 diesel cars, the report said. That total is also an all-time record for European EV sales, and is more than 6% higher than the comparable figure for December 2020, according to the report.
KIA REVEALS NEW NIRO
– Kia has unveiled the all-new Niro, which will go on sale later this year. The Niro will be offered with a hybrid, plug-in hybrid and electric powertrain, like its predecessor. It features a new exterior design that follows the styling of the new Sportage, while the interior is similar to that of the EV6.
– the new Niro has a larger body that provides more interior space and storage capacity. It’s 65mm longer, 20mm wider and 10mm taller than the outgoing Niro. The wheelbase has also grown by 20mm.
– So far, we only have information on the Hybrid.
CHINESE BATTERY MAKER CATL LAUNCHES BATTERY SWAP SERVICE FOR ELECTRIC CARS
– At its first online launch event, Contemporary Amperex Energy Service Technology Ltd. (CAES), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. (CATL), launched on Tuesday a new service for electric vehicles called EVOGO featuring modular battery swapping.
– Comprised of battery blocks, fast battery swap stations and an app, EVOGO will be first launched in ten cities
– Choco-SEB is compatible with 80 percent of BEV platform-based vehicle models currently available on the global market, and all BEV platform-based models to be released within the next three years around the world.
– With a footprint equivalent to three parking spaces, a standard EVOGO battery swap station can house up to 48 Choco-SEBs and allows one-minute swapping for a single battery block, ensuring fully charged batteries for customers at any time without a long wait. Moreover, EVOGO offers a variety of swap stations to suit the climates of different regions.
– the swap stations can match all vehicle models by different OEMs that use Choco-SEBs, allowing a freer choice of vehicle models for battery swaps.
NIO ANNOUNCES ITS FIRST EV FIRMWARE UPDATES OUTSIDE OF CHINA
– NIO began shipping its ES8 SUV to Europe for the first time last year, beginning with Norway.
– Now NIO has pushed out its first over-the-air firmware update for its vehicle in Norway, including the ability to change the vehicle’s system language to English or Norwegian. It’s the first time that NIO pushed an over-the-air firmware update (FOTA) to its electric vehicles outside of China.
– The available English language settings in NIO’s vehicle’s will help support its expansion outside of China, as the company looks to take on Tesla and its domestic rival XPeng in the global EV market.
– Aspen 3.0.5 NO has new features to improve user experience in cold weather, including a manual battery warmup feature and extending the duration of cabin preconditioning system, according to NIO. It also includes other user experience (UX) enhancements, such as a power assistant that helps drivers find nearby EV charging facilities
– Following NIO’s expansion to Norway, NIO said it plans to launch models in more European and North American countries. Each region will come with software and update services tailored to the local language and market, according to NIO.
Original Source : https://www.futurecar.com/5136/Tesla-Challenger-NIO-Announces-its-First-EV-Firmware-Updates-Outside-of-China-Follows-the-Addition-of-an-English-Language-Option-for-Customers-in-Norway
VW TO EXPAND BEV PRODUCTION IN CHINA
– VW is significantly expanding its production capacities for electric cars in China. Together with the third MEB plant in Anhui, the annual production capacity will increase to up to 900,000 units in 2023, as VW China now reveals.
– Until now, the production capacity of the plant in Anhui was not known. As the existing plants in Anting (by SAIC-VW) and Foshan (FAW-VW) are known to be designed for 300,000 units per year each, the third plant in Anhui will also come up to this production capacity.
– Production capacity for MEB cars in China is already well above demand. Last year VW was able to deliver 70,625 ID. models in China. However, it must also be mentioned that VW only started deliveries of the ID.4 and later the ID.6 during the course of the year – towards the end of the year, deliveries increased after a slow start.
ELON MUSK SAYS TESLA WILL ROLL OUT FSD BETA IN CANADA IN 2 TO 4 WEEKS
– Elon Musk said Sunday that Tesla will roll out its Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta software in Canada within the next month.
– The Tesla CEO first predicted in a tweet in December 2020 that the FSD beta would be extended to Canada “very soon.”
– Musk tweeted in November 2021 that FSD beta would maybe go live in Canada the following month but there were “no guarantees.”
– The timeline update on FSD release in Canada follows Musk’s announcement in early January about Tesla raising the price of FSD software from $10,000 to $12,000.
TESLA INKS DEAL TO GET KEY BATTERY COMPONENT OUTSIDE CHINA
– Tesla is turning to Mozambique for a key component in its electric car batteries in what analysts believe is a first-of-its-kind deal designed to reduce its dependence on China for graphite.
– Elon Musk’s company signed an agreement last month with Australia’s Syrah Resources, which operates one of the world’s largest graphite mines in the southern African country. It’s a unique partnership between an electric vehicle manufacturer and a producer of the mineral that is critical for lithium-ion batteries. The value of the deal hasn’t been released.
– Tesla will buy the material from the company’s processing plant in Vidalia, Louisiana, which sources graphite from its mine in Balama, Mozambique.
– The deal is part of Tesla’s plan to ramp up its capacity to make its own batteries so it can reduce its dependence on China, which dominates global graphite markets
– The battery industry has been confronted with a short supply of graphite in recent months, Moores said. Graphite stores lithium inside a battery until it’s needed to generate electricity by splitting into charged ions and electrons.
NEW YORK TIMES AD WARNS AGAINST TESLA’S “FULL SELF-DRIVING”
– A full page advertisement in Sunday’s New York Times took aim at Tesla’s “Full Self-Driving” software, calling it “the worst software ever sold by a Fortune 500 company” and offering $10,000, the same price as the software itself to the first person who could name “another commercial product from a Fortune 500 company that has a critical malfunction every 8 minutes.”
– The ad was taken out by The Dawn Project, a recently founded organization aiming to ban unsafe software from safety critical systems that can be targeted by military-style hackers, as part of a campaign to remove Tesla Full Self-Driving (FSD) from public roads until it has “1,000 times fewer critical malfunctions.”
– The NYT ad comes just days after the California Department of Motor Vehicles told Tesla it would be “revisiting” its opinion that the company’s test program, which uses consumers and not professional safety operators, doesn’t fall under the department’s autonomous vehicle regulations.
– Alongside the NYT ad, The Dawn Project published a fact check of its claims, referring to its own FSD safety analysis that studied data from 21 YouTube videos totaling seven hours of drive time.
– “We did not sign up for our families to be crash test dummies for thousands of Tesla cars being driven on the public roads…” the ad reads.
RJ Scaringe (@RJScaringe) / Twitter
– Love when these quality inspectors come to check on production ramp!
- Original Source : https://twitter.com/RJScaringe
CAN ANYONE SATISFY AMAZON’S CRAVING FOR ELECTRIC VANS?
– Amazon has an insatiable appetite for electric vans, thanks to a ballooning logistics operation and a pledge that half of its deliveries will be carbon-neutral by 2030. But that hunger is running into the reality that the auto industry barely produces any of the vehicles yet.
– While consumer electric cars are finally hitting their stride — Tesla delivered almost a million cars last year — the market for commercial electric vehicles is still nascent, with their heavier loads multiplying the technology challenges. Amazon would not say if Rivian delivered the first 10 production vans in December, as was expected, and other automakers are not manufacturing at scale yet, either.
– “The scale and speed at which we’re trying to do this requires a lot of invention, testing and learning, and a completely new playbook,” Ross Rachey, who oversees Amazon’s global fleet, said in a statement.
– Amazon expected to have roughly 175,000 of its vans on the road by the end of 2021, according to an internal document from late 2020, nearly all of which burned fossil fuels.
– Amazon invested at least $1.3 billion in Rivian, which Amazon says is supposed to make 10,000 vans as early as this year. Amazon also locked up exclusive rights to Rivian’s commercial vans for four years, with the right of first refusal for two years after that. The companies have been testing the vans for almost a year.
Original Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/18/technology/amazon-electric-vans.html?utm_source=pocket_mylist
RIMAC TECHNOLOGY OFFICIALLY BECOMES ITS OWN ENTITY
– The Rimac Group is now fully operational, from January 1st, 2022, as an umbrella company that incorporates Bugatti Rimac (active from November 2021) and the new standalone Rimac Technology business.
– Rimac Technology – the sister company to the previously known Rimac Automobili – is set to become a completely independent company, 100% owned by Rimac Group. It will continue and expand its activities in the engineering, development, production, and supply of high-performance battery systems, electric drive units, electronic systems, and user interface components that Rimac is known for, having established a reputation as a leading provider of advanced performance electrification technologies.
– Rimac Technology is publicly known to have worked with many global OEMs including Porsche, Hyundai, Kia, Automobili Pininfarina, Koenigsegg, Aston Martin, while there are many additional projects which are still unknown to the public. Having delivered components for several niche volume projects in the past years, Rimac Technology is ramping up its production capacity and will be manufacturing tens of thousands high-performance systems per year by 2024 and further ramping up to volumes of hundreds of thousands with products ranging from small hybrid battery systems to full rolling chassis.
– Rimac Technology is free from any oversight by any other manufacturer, including investors into the Rimac Group business. It’s just as important for Rimac Technology clients that their projects are kept confidential, as that it is delivered with the required cost, performance and on time.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What TV, Print or Digital advertising have you seen for EVs recently which you noticed, or thought was memorable?
Email me your answer now: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL