If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 17th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Executive Producer MARK RICHARDS
ELECTRIC CAR SALES PASS ‘TIPPING POINT’ IN SWITZERLAND
– The number of new electric cars sold in Switzerland continues to accelerate – even faster than predicted, according to the Touring Club Switzerland (TCS) car association.
– For the September to November period, fully electric vehicles accounted for 18.3% of new registrations and plug-in vehicles (electric and plug-in hybrids) hit a record 28%
– The TCS described the 18.3% threshold as a milestone. Electric vehicles had clearly gone beyond a “tipping point” and moved into the mainstream, it said.
– In Switzerland incentives for plug-in vehicles are not coordinated and vary between cantons.
Top 5 Models:
- Tesla Model 3
- Volkswagen ID.3
- Škoda Enyaq
- Renault Zoe
- Fiat 500
- Original Source : https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/sci-tech/electric-cars-pass–tipping-point–in-switzerland/47260170
APPLE’S DIGITAL CAR KEYS MAY WORK WITH HYUNDAI AND GENESIS MODELS THIS SUMMER
– Apple’s digital car key feature might soon be useful for unlocking more than a handful of BMW models.
– Hyundai and its upscale Genesis badge will support Apple CarKey “by the summer.” It’s not certain which models would provide the option, but it’s notable that some trim levels of the Ioniq 5 and other Hyundai cars include NFC for a (currently proprietary) digital key.
– CarKey (and its Android equivalent) treats the phone more like a physical key. You just have to bring your phone or Apple Watch to the door handle to unlock it, and you can even place your phone in a given area to start the car. People with ultra-wideband iPhones (such as the iPhone 11 and newer) can even leave their phone in their pocket when opening and starting the vehicle.
DEVELOPER HACK PUTS CARPLAY ON TESLA USING A RASPBERRY PI
– A developer has come up with a way to get CarPlay running on a Tesla, with a workaround allowing drivers access to their iPhones while behind the wheel.
– Polish developer Michal Gapinski came up with his own way. In images and video posted to Twitter on Friday, Gapinski shows his Tesla running CarPlay on the display of his vehicle. The clips, spotted by Tesla North show the feature as being quite functional, including Apple Maps and Apple Music.
– Gapinski instead bypasses Wi-Fi restrictions so that the Tesla’s browser can connect to a secondary device. In turn, the browser displays what is shown on the host device as a live video feed.
– Currently in its early stages, the developer says he plans to release it to the public “when it’s polished.”
– the project actually relies on a Raspberry Pi running a custom build of Android. That build runs an interface that works with CarPlay, enabling Apple’s UI to be usable from the larger screen.
TRITIUM GOES PUBLIC TO EXPAND TO THREE PLANTS GLOBALLY
– The Australian charging column manufacturer Tritium has launched on the US stock exchange Nasdaq. Tritium plans to invest the capital generated by the IPO in its expansion to three global manufacturing facilities and the development of global sales and service teams.
– . Going public by merging with an already listed company has become the most utilized method for electric mobility companies to shorten the lengthy IPO process in the US.
– Tritium currently has manufacturing facilities in Australia and is currently building manufacturing facilities in the USA. Tritium CEO Jane Hunter recently told Bloomberg that Tritium is ramping up speed to get its US manufacturing facility ready
400,000 UNITS OF SAIC-GM-WULING’S MINI EV WERE SOLD IN 2021
– General Motors’ Chinese joint venture SAIC-GM-Wuling was the number one purveyor of electric vehicles in China last year, selling nearly 400,000 units of its sensible MINI EV hatchback.
– numbers published by the China Passenger Car Association, SAIC-GM-Wuling sold a total of 395,451 examples of its MINI EV between January and December last year. This made it the best-selling EV in China ahead of the BYD Qin, which sold 187,227 units.
– The MINI EV is priced from the equivalent of just over $4,000 USD in China, with each unit carrying a minuscule profit margin of $14 for SAIC-GM-Wuling. While the margins are small, sales of the vehicle allow the automaker to earn carbon credits, saving it money in the long term.
CHINESE EVS FIND A NICHE MAKING SHORT-HAUL DELIVERIES IN JAPAN
– Logistics companies in Japan, striving to cut costs and make the most out of the pandemic-inspired online shopping boom, are finding an unlikely white knight in Chinese electric-vehicle manufacturers, whose vans make last-mile deliveries not only cheaper, but cleaner as well.
– Tokyo’s SBS Holdings Inc., a listed logistics company that offers deliveries, recently struck a deal to buy 2,000 light EV trucks over five years from Japanese EV startup folofly. The cars will be made by a unit of Dongfeng Motor Group Co
– Although Japan isn’t currently a huge market for electric vehicles — EV penetration runs at just 1% versus 30% in some cities in China — Chinese automakers sense an opportunity.
– “If Japanese companies just stick to producing cars, foreign companies will come in,” said Hiroyasu Koma, CEO of folofly, the company working with SBS and Dongfeng Motor on the former’s fleet-electrification strategy.
NEW 2023 PEUGEOT E-308: EV HATCHBACK TO BRING 250-MILE RANGE
– Peugeot has confirmed the battery-electric variants of its 308 hatchback and SW estate will be more powerful, more efficient and have a longer range than its existing e-208 supermini.
– The e-308 will join pure-combustion and plug-in hybrid variants of the family hatchback to complete the Peugeot 308 line up when it goes on sale next year.
– The battery is only 4kWh bigger than the one in the smaller e-208 but Peugeot is claiming that a new NMC811 battery chemistry will give the car increased efficiency, of 5mi/kWh (12.4kWh/100km),
– That would give the e-308 a test cycle range of nearly 250 miles.
– The e-308 will go into full production in July 2023, with deliveries shortly afterwards. Pricing will be announced nearer the time.
CATL TO UNVEIL BATTERY SWAP BRAND EVOGO
– CATL, a leading Chinese battery firm, has officially confirmed it will hold a launch event for a new battery swap brand called EVOGO on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. Beijing time.
– In a post on popular domestic microblogging platform Weibo, a picture showing CATL’s power exchange station looking somewhat rough was recently exposed. CATL responded on Monday: “This is a test station, which is different from what we will release on Tuesday.”
Original Source : https://pandaily.com/catl-to-unveil-battery-swap-brand-evogo/
OLA ELECTRIC SCOOTER PRODUCTION SOARS, OPENING NEW PAYMENT WINDOW
– Despite running into initial delays, Ola has significantly ramped up production of its high-speed smart electric scooters. Now the Indian company says it will be opening up a new payment window soon to complete more orders of its Ola S1 and S1 Pro electric scooters.
– Production rates appeared to have soared though, as the company boasted a daily rate of nearly 1,000 scooters at the beginning of the year.
– The scooters are produced in a megafactory known as the Ola Futurefactory. It has an intended designed capacity of two million electric scooters per year, or around 5,500 per day.
JAGUAR I-PACE SALES SHRUNK TO BELOW 10,000 IN 2021
– 2021 was pretty challenging for Jaguar, which noted a 15.8% decrease in global car sales to 86,270, including almost a 49% decrease in Q4 to 14,407.
– Unfortunately, the all-electric Jaguar also is in the red. During the fourth quarter, the company sold 2,558 units
– Overall, this year Jaguar I-PACE was pretty flat, between 2,230 and 2,650 sales per quarter.
– In 2021, Jaguar sold 9,970 I-PACE. That’s the worst result since its launch and 39% lower than in 2020.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/561066/jaguar-ipace-sales-2021/
PRODRIVE FEARS AUDI COULD “KILL” DAKAR COMPETITION IN 2023
– The German manufacturer made a splash on its Dakar debut this year, with its hybrid RS Q e-tron winning four of the 12 stages – including three in the second half of the rally.
– Audi will “kill” the competition in the Dakar Rally next year if the FIA doesn’t do something to balance its performance against petrol-powered cars, according to Prodrive chairman David Richards.
– The former WRC and Formula 1 team boss feels the FIA must analyse and act upon the data from this year’s Dakar to ensure Audi doesn’t walk away with the title when it returns to the rally in 2023 with a more reliable car.
– “But clearly the performance of the Audi is at a different level. They are 200kg overweight and they are still a lot faster than our car. So if they had been reliable they would have won by an hour, easily.
EV SALES CAN OVERTHROW GAS-GUZZLERS IN EUROPE BY 2025, STUDY FINDS
– a new study found that consumers’ transition to all-electric vehicles in the EU and UK is “inevitable.”
– The study was conducted by Element Energy and included 14,000 respondents from the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Poland, and the Netherlands. You know, the countries that make up nearly 80% of the new passenger car registrations across the EU, UK, and EFTA region.
– 1. Lower upfront cost will make EVs the most in-demand powertrain from 2025. Upfront cost was identified as the most influential factor in consumer powertrain decision, while driving range, running cost, and access to charging came as secondary. Under a more optimistic scenario, price parity between BEVs and ICEs is achieved in 2028. And guess what: in that case EV sales would dominate at 80% as early as 2030 and reach 100% by 2050.
– 2. Access to public charging doesn’t limit EV demand, but needs to keep up with sales. Most European new-car buyers (59%) have access to private off-street charging, meaning that they won’t rely on public infrastructure for charging.
– 3. BEVs are the preferred powertrain of today’s consumer. 73% would prefer an EV over an ICE if their properties were equal. That is, upfront purchase cost, running cost, and a 500km range.
WHAT ELECTRIC VEHICLE TO BUY? FINALLY TV ADS CAN HELP
– Car brands collectively ran four times as many national television ads for EVs in 2021 as they did in either of the previous two years. General Motors Co., Ford Motor Co., and Volkswagen AG, among others, spent an estimated $248 million on nearly 33,000 spots, up from $83 million spent on 8,000 commercials in 2019, according to data from marketing analytics startup EDO, Inc.
– Viewers who saw an ad for an Audi EV, for instance, were 90% more likely to search for the brand online than viewers who saw an ad for one of the brand’s combustion engine models.
– Angela Zepeda, chief marketing officer for Hyundai Motor America, said: “We really focused before on delivering messages more at a regional level We were doing a lot of direct mail, a lot of e-mail, and social digital [ads]. We’re not just assuming that people know about that technology and now they’re just comparison shopping. It’s about teaching.”
– Ford’s initial spots for the F-150 Lightning highlight the spacious front trunk and show owners using the truck to power their home during an outage.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What TV, Print or Digital advertising have you seen for EVs recently which you noticed, or thought was memorable?
Email me your answer now: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK