If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 16th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Producer GLENN T
BJORN RANGE TESTS ORA GOOD CAT WITH REMARKABLE RESULTS
– Ora, a sub-brand of Great Wall Motors, is going to start selling its Good Cat model in Europe pretty soon with two battery pack sizes that both provide impressive range.
– 62.4 kWh and increases the range to 500 km (310 miles). Bjørn Nyland performed a range test in the latter and while nobody was expecting it to match the NEDC claimed range, it actually performed really well. He drove the vehicle in Thailand in quite warm temperatures and had climate functions off for most of the trip, and he drove exactly 372 km (213 miles) with exactly 90 percent.
– Bjørn calculated that had he run a fully-charged battery all the way to empty, the vehicle would have driven around 420 km (261 miles), an impressive result for such a small EV that will most likely never be used for long distance road trips.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/561038/bjorn-ora-good-cat-range
OREGON CLEAN VEHICLE REBATE PROGRAM’S CHARGE AHEAD REBATE
– The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has made big changes to the Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program’s Charge Ahead Rebate. As of Jan. 1, 2022, low- and moderate-income households are eligible for $5,000 back with the purchase or lease of a new or used battery electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle. Previously, the Charge Ahead Rebate was $2,500. In addition, if the purchase or lease is a new battery electric or plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, then the rebate can be combined with the Standard Rebate for up to $7,500 back.
– Prior to 2022, Charge Ahead Rebate recipients had to earn less than 120% of the area median income for their metropolitan area. The new requirements ensure those households who can most benefit from the rebate are eligible. Those unsure of their eligibility can check the Charge Ahead Rebate Income Eligibility Calculator here.
Original Source : https://www.oregon.gov/newsroom/Pages/NewsDetail.aspx?newsid=64716
NIO LEASES BIG SAN JOSE OFFICE BUILDING FOR U.S. HQ
– Nio USA has leased a big north San Jose building that will be the headquarters and innovation center for the maker of electric vehicles and smart car technologies, commercial real estate firm Colliers said Thursday.
– China-based Nio USA signed a lease for a building that totals 201,500 square feet, agreeing to a 10-year rental deal, according to Colliers.
– The new building will accommodate headquarters, research, digital development activities, testing, assembly, warehousing and other operations, according to Colliers.
70,000 E-BUSES DELIVERED BY BYD WORLDWIDE
– The Chinese giant has just announced the milestone, achieved after a decede from the launch of its first pure electric bus fleet in commercial operations.
– In Europe, BYD makes public it has delivered over 1,800 electric buses, operating in over 100 major European cities across 20 countries. These 1,800 corresponds to a 2.5% of the 70,000 vehicles handed over worldwide. Collectively, the European BYD e-buses have driven over 140 million kilometres, the equivalent to a reduction of 150,000 tonnes CO2 emissions. Globally, BYD’s eBuses have covered 5.5 billion electric kilometres.
Original Source : https://www.sustainable-bus.com/electric-bus/byd-70000-electric-buses
GEELY HOLDING GROUP SALES GROW 5% TO MORE THAN 2.2 MILLION UNITS IN 2021
– Geely Holding announced today that aggregate sales across its automotive brands – Geely Auto, Geometry, LYNK & CO, Zeekr, Volvo Cars, PROTON, Lotus, LEVC, and Farizon Commercial Vehicle – grew 5% year-on-year to exceed 2.2 million units in 2021, a new record for the Group.
– sales of electrified and clean alternative fuel passenger and commercial vehicles grew more than 70% YoY, exceeding 330,000 units and accounting for over 15% of Group aggregate sales.
– Geely Technology Group establish around 100 battery swapping stations across China that can safely swap batteries in less than a minute. By 2025, at least 5,000 swapping stations will be deployed across 100 cities.
– Zeekr, Geely’s global electric mobility technology solutions brand was launched in 2021 along with its first premium pure electric model, the Zeekr 001. By the end of 2021, 6,007 premium Zeekr 001s have been delivered to users.
GERMAN TRANSPORT MINISTER BACKS ELECTRIC CARS IN E-FUEL DEBATE
– The debate over how best to decarbonise road transport has long pitched synthetic e-fuels against full electrification. In a policy shift, Germany’s transport minister has now said that electric cars have won the race in the EU.
– While leading auto makers have begun to pivot to electric vehicles, others in the industry, particularly fuel companies and auto part makers, have long argued that synthetic e-fuels can decarbonise ICE vehicles.
– Germany’s Federal Transport Minister Volker Wissing has thrown cold water on the notion that e-fuels will be plentiful enough to allow ICE cars to meet EU emissions standards.
– E-fuels are synthetic energy carriers created in an energy-intensive process and therefore relatively rare and expensive.
EU TO DEMAND STRICTER CO2 STANDARDS FOR NEW CARS
– There are signs of a possible further tightening of the EU targets for CO2 emissions from new cars. After the EU Commission had submitted its proposals for this in July 2021, it is now the EU Parliament’s turn – and it has apparently demanded stricter interim targets until 2035.
– Jan Huitema, the parliamentarian from the Netherlands who is responsible for this area, has now presented his proposals to the Parliament’s Environment Committee. The de facto ban on internal combustion engines for new cars from 2035 – officially only cars with CO2 emissions of 0 g/km may be registered then – as demanded by the Commission is to remain, but the interim targets until then are to be further tightened.
1,000 TESLA SUPER CHARGING STATIONS BUILT ON CHINESE MAINLAND
– Tesla announced on Friday that 22 super charging stations and 128 super charging piles have been launched in 21 cities across China in the month of December.
– Up until now, Tesla has opened more than 1,000 super charging stations and built more than 8,000 super charging piles on the Chinese Mainland, while also offering more than 700 destination charging stations and more than 1,800 destination charging piles. The company’s charging network now covers more than 60 cities and regions in China.
– Tesla recently announced a charging package for Chinese vehicle owners during the Chinese New Year. Car owners who purchasea charging package worth 426 yuan can enjoy unlimited top up and mileage from super charging stations from midnight on January 26, 2022 to midnight on February 8, 2022.
BMW: NEXT 3 SERIES WILL HAVE COMBUSTION ENGINES, SEPARATE ELECTRIC MODEL
– BMW is heavily investing in electrification to get ready for 2025 when it will inaugurate the Neue Klasse platform. NK will allow the German luxury brand to achieve its next big target, which is to enter the high-volume segment with the 3 Series.
– BMW doesn’t want to make some of its buyers have no other way but to buy an electric 3 Series in a country where there simply aren’t going to be enough EV stations.
Original Source : https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/01/14/bmw-next-3-series-separate-ev-model/
HONDA AND LG ENERGY SOLUTION PLAN U.S. BATTERY JOINT VENTURE, REPORT SAYS
– South Korean battery maker LG Energy Solution (LGES) plans to build a battery joint venture (JV) with Japan’s Honda Motor Co Ltd in the United States, South Korea’s Maeil Business Newspaper said on Friday, citing an unnamed industry source.
– The potential battery JV between LGES and Honda could cost as much as 4 trillion won ($3.4 billion) and have an annual production capacity of up to 40 gigawatt hours (GWh) of batteries, enough to power 600,000 EVs, the newspaper reported.
– LG Chem Ltd’s battery subsidiary, commands more than 20 percent of the global EV battery market and supplies Tesla Inc, General Motors Co and Volkswagen AG among others.
– Honda and its alliance partner GM plan to introduce two jointly developed large-sized EV models in North America, using GM’s Ultium batteries, in 2024. GM will make Ultium batteries under a joint venture with LG.
BATTERY STARTUP QUANTUMSCAPE’S NEW MOVE
– The energy storage heavyweight Fluence and the solid-state battery startup QuantumScape Thursday morning announced a multiyear agreement to test and deploy QuantumScape lithium-metal tech in stationary applications.
– The announcement signals the evolving business plan of QuantumScape, whose backers include VW and the Bill Gates-led Breakthrough Energy Ventures.
FOR BP, CAR CHARGERS TO OVERTAKE PUMPS IN PROFITABILITY RACE
– BP says its fast electric vehicle chargers are on the cusp of becoming more profitable than filling up a petrol car.
– The milestone will mark a significant moment for BP which wants to shift away from oil and expand operations in power markets and around electric vehicles (EV).
– EV charging has for years been a loss-making business as a whole for BP and rivals as they invest heavily in its expansion. The division is not expected to turn profitable before 2025 but on a margin basis, BP’s fast battery charging points, which can replenish a battery within minutes, are nearing levels they see from filling up with petrol.
– The company also said that electricity sales for EV charging grew 45% in the third quarter of 2021 from the previous quarter.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
The 4th anniversary of this podcast is next week on Tuesday 18th January. So this week it’s a self-indulgent question, and I’ll hope you forgive me for that. What would you like to see and hear from this show in 2022. What would you keep, and what would you change. What would you like to see new?
Email me your answer now: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL