If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 14th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
NEW TESLA MODEL 3 STANDARD LFP V LONG RANGE V PERFORMANCE
– I’ve recently been driving the latest Model 3 Standard Plus (previously known as SR+ ) and it’s remarkably efficient. In the real world I don’t think it can be too far off the bigger battery Long Range and Performance models for range. But there’s only one way to see. Drive them side by side in convoy at the same time on the same roads at the same speed! LFP can be charged to 100% daily compared to the others 90%. It looks like this then equates to the same range! The others only gaining if you charge to trip level.
Original Source : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEuLK9GrnyA
TESLA DELAYS CYBERTRUCK TO EARLY 2023
– Tesla has never been fantastic at meeting deadlines, so it’s not too surprising that the company’s ambitious electric pickup — the Cybertruck — is running a little late. Recently, reference to a 2022 production schedule was scrubbed from its website, and Reuters is now reporting that production of the vehicle won’t begin until the first quarter of 2023.
– The Cybertruck was originally announced in 2019, with Tesla promising that the vehicle would be rolling off production lines in late 2021. Then, in August that year, full production was delayed to some time in 2022. Now, that deadline seems to have been waived, too.
– The site originally told buyers: “You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears in 2022.” Now it says: “You will be able to complete your configuration as production nears,” with archives showing that reference to the year was removed at the end of December 20201.
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/13/22881646/tesla-cybertruck-production-date-2022-removed-website
EXCLUSIVE: TESLA DELAYS INITIAL PRODUCTION OF CYBERTRUCK TO EARLY 2023
– Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) aims to start initial production of its much-anticipated Cybertruck by the end of the first quarter of 2023, pushing back its plan to begin production late this year, a person familiar with the matter told Reuters on Thursday.
– The person said the delay comes as Tesla is changing features and functions of the electric pickup to make a compelling product as competition heats up in the segment.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-tesla-delays-initial-production-cybertruck-early-2023-source-2022-01-13/
RENAULT WILL SELL ONLY ALL-ELECTRIC CARS IN EUROPE BY 2030
– Renault accelerates its transition to an all-electric future in Europe, but the automaker has a “Plan B” as well.
– According to Automotive News Europe, Renault CEO Luca de Meo said at a media event that the French brand will become 100% electric in Europe in 2030.
– Renault Group’s Dacia brand will be gradually electrified as well, but “at the last possible moment,” which probably means after 2030. The European Union would like to halt sales of new internal combustion engine cars by 2035.
– The next step for Renault in Europe is to launch the all-new, all-electric Renault Megane E-Tech Electric (based on the CMF-EV platform) and the new Renault Kangoo Van E-TECH Electric.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/560641/renault-only-electric-europe-2030/
FORD’S MARKET CAP TOPS $100 BILLION FOR FIRST TIME EVER
– Ford Motor’s market value topped $100 billion for the first time ever as the automaker’s stock hit a new 52-week high Thursday.
– The gains have been fueled by Ford’s plans to increase production of electric vehicles, including the Mustang Mach-E crossover and an upcoming electric version of its bestselling F-150 pickup that’s due out this spring. The efforts are part of a Ford+ turnaround plan led by CEO Jim Farley, who took over the helm in October 2020.
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/13/fords-market-cap-tops-100-billion-for-first-time-ever.html
MASERATI FORMULA E: BACK TO RACING FOR TRIDENT BRAND
– Maserati today announces the first step in its motorsport strategy and will make its debut in the ABB FIA Formula E World Championship in 2023.
– Maserati will debut on the grid from Season 9 with the new Gen3, the fastest, lightest, most powerful Formula E racing car ever. The Gen3 is the world’s most efficient racing car featuring a series of industry-leading design, production and technological innovations.
Original Source : https://www.maserati.com/gb/en/news/maserati-back-to-racing-formula-e
Electric vehicle bill could require new construction to be charging-station ready
– Electric vehicles owners usually have the added expense of installing a new power line to charge their cars at home. A bill headed to the Illinois House floor could require newly constructed or heavily renovated homes and buildings to have the extra electric line ready to go. This means a charging station could be installed without breaking ground.
– Committee members expressed concern over the demand this would have on the power grid. Attorney and electric vehicle advocate Neda Deylami said the load on the power grid is similar to that of household appliances.
– Additionally, she said in certain areas ComEd requires EV owners to report themselves to the company. Other electric providers recommend charging overnight when the burden on the power grid is lighter.
– Bill sponsor Robyn Gabel (D-Evanston) said estimates she’s received from realtors and contractors consider the costs of the added electric line minimal compared with the other costs of new construction.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/ZffSgSMCog/
- Original Source : https://www.wgem.com/2022/01/13/electric-vehicle-bill-could-require-new-construction-be-charging-station-ready/
TESLA MODEL Y STRUCTURAL BATTERY PACK REFERENCED IN UPDATED OWNER’S MANUAL
– Following an update, the Tesla Model Y Owner’s Manual now features a direct reference to the vehicle’s structural battery pack. As indicated in the document’s new version, Model Ys that are equipped with structural batteries have a slightly different jacking procedure, as their lift points are in slightly different locations compared to the vehicle’s previous iterations.
– The reference to the Model Y’s structural pack was accompanied by an illustration outlining where the updated all-electric crossover’s lift points are. “The following illustration is provided to improve conceptual understanding. If your Model Y is equipped with a structural battery pack, the exact location of the lift points will differ slightly. Check the vehicle itself for exact location of lift points,” the Model Y manual noted.
– Structural batteries would reinforce the Model Y’s body and chassis, therefore increasing its strength and safety. The efficient use of Tesla’s 4680 cells in structural batteries could also help the Model Y boost its driving range while optimizing production costs at the same time.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-structural-battery-pack-manual-update
TESLA IS ALLOWED TO BUILD 2,000 TEST EVS IN GRUENHEIDE
– According to the German website, the authorization documents allow Tesla to test the press shop, body shop, paint shop, and final assembly in the next eight weeks, meaning the texts can extend until the beginning of March. Tesla may paint up to 500 bodies per week in its “revolutionary” paint shop.
– The information that the first bodies made at Giga Grünheide presented poor quality came from BZ-Berlin. That German website also said that Jörg Steinbach, Brandenburg’s Finance minister, is pretty confident that the factory will get the final permit soon. Steinbach said the same last year.
– According to the document, none of the vehicles produced can be sold. Tesla may not seize parts from them to use in production cars. Everything has to be scrapped, and the EV maker will have to prove that. If Tesla prefers to throw some components away instead of destroying them, it has to provide appropriate evidence that it did so.
– 2,000 cars sold at €63,000 would mean Tesla would have to burn €126 million ($143,2 million at the current exchange rate) in these tests.
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/tesla-is-allowed-to-build-2000-test-evs-in-gruenheide-but-theres-a-catch-179097.html
TESLA HEATING SYSTEM BEING PROBED IN CANADA FOLLOWING COLD-WEATHER COMPLAINTS
– Canada’s auto safety regulator said on Thursday it has opened an investigation into the heating system of Tesla Model 3 and Model Y vehicles following 16 consumer complaints about its performance during cold weather.
– Transport Canada said it is concerned that a malfunctioning heating and air-conditioning system “may affect windshield defogging/defrosting and therefore driver visibility.”
– The regulator said it has informed Tesla of the investigation.
– A number of Tesla owners complained that the heat pumps are failing in extreme cold temperatures, according to Drive Tesla Canada
Original Source : https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/tesla-heating-system-being-probed-canada-following-cold-weather-complaints
LG SUPPLIES IN-CAR INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM TO MERCEDES-AMG EQS
– LG Electronics said Wednesday it has supplied its premium in-car infotainment system to be featured in the 2022 Mercedes-Benz EQS full-electric luxury sedan.
– LG’s system combines three displays – instrument cluster display, central information display and co-driver display – into a single, panoramic screen that stretches across the entire width of the car’s dashboard.
– In order to enhance the flexibility of the high-end display, new technologies such as those for curved glass forming, surface treatment and bonding have been developed in partnership with Mercedes-Benz engineers, the firm added.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20220112000581
RESEARCH COULD HELP EXTEND EV BATTERY LIFE BY 30%, SLOW DEGRADATION
– Researchers at the Department of Energy’s SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory and Stanford University claim to have found a method to “revitalize” lithium-ion batteries, potentially extending their useful lifespan by nearly 30%.
– The research points to a novel way to slow battery degradation. As lithium-ion batteries rack up charge/discharge cycles, they accumulate “islands” of lithium that are cut off from the electrodes, and thus aren’t contributing to energy storage, researchers explained in a study published December 22 in the journal Nature.
– Researchers found that these bits of lithium could be moved back toward the electrodes, reestablishing an electrical connection and allowing that lithium to continue to be used.
– That points to a way to extend battery lifespans by modifying the charging protocol, and also has implications for the development of lithium-metal batteries
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/fd3RBhg7NP/
- Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1134713_research-could-help-extend-ev-battery-life-by-30-slow-degradation?utm_source=pocket_mylist
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
The 4th anniversary of this podcast is next week on Tuesday 18th January. So this week it’s a self-indulgent question, and I’ll hope you forgive me for that. What would you like to see and hear from this show in 2022. What would you keep, and what would you change. What would you like to see new?
Email me your answer now: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL