If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 13th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Producer KEVIN WHITHAM
VOLKSWAGEN DOUBLES DELIVERIES OF ALL-ELECTRIC VEHICLES IN 2021
– More than 369,000 electric vehicles (BEVs and PHEVs) delivered worldwide in 2021
– One in four vehicles delivered by Volkswagen in Germany is a BEV/PHEV
– Demand remains high: order backlog in Europe at an all-time high including 95,000 orders for all-electric IDs
– Last year, the company delivered more electric vehicles worldwide than ever before, handing over more than 369,000 electric cars (+73 percent versus 2020), including approximately 106,000 PHEVs (+33 percent) and 263,000 all-electric vehicles (+97 percent) to customers. Volkswagen thus doubled its BEV deliveries year-on-year.
– The proportion of purely battery-powered electric vehicles (BEVs) and hybrid vehicles nearly doubled to 7.5 percent of total deliveries (2020: 4 percent). In Europa, these vehicles now account for 19.3 percent of Volkswagen’s deliveries (2020: 12.6 percent). Volkswagen recorded a significant increase in deliveries of electric vehicles particularly in the United States, China and Germany. In the company’s home market, one in four Volkswagen vehicles was a plug-in vehicle.
– A total of 77,100 BEVs (+437 percent) were delivered in China, including more than 70,000 from the ID. family, making Volkswagen one of the five biggest BEV providers in China.
– 17,000 BEVs were sold in the United States
– The ID.4 was the most frequently delivered of the 263,000 BEVs with 119,650 units sold, followed by the ID.3 (around 76,000), the e-up! (approximately 41,500) and just under 18,000 units of the ID.6, which Volkswagen offers exclusively in the Chinese market
VOLKSWAGEN GROUP BATTERY-ELECTRIC VEHICLES DOUBLED IN 2021
– 452,900 battery-electric vehicles (BEVs) handed over to cus-tomers (+96 percent vs. 2020), Group clearly the BEV market leader in Europe and num-ber two in the USA, BEV volume in China up more than fourfold at 92,700 units
– These now account for 5.1 percent of total deliveries, up from 2.5 percent in the previous year. The Group is the European market leader for battery-electric vehicles by a large margin and achieved the second-largest share of the key US market with about 7.5 percent.
– Sales of plug-in hybrids worldwide also rose significantly to 309,500 units
– The Group’s top-selling battery-electric models in 2021 were (in units):
– Volkswagen ID.4 119,600
– Volkswagen ID.3 75,500
– Audi e-tron (incl. Sportback) 49,200
– ŠKODA Enyaq iV 44,700
– Volkswagen e-up! 41,400
– Porsche Taycan (incl. Turismo) 41,300
FACELIFTED AUDI E-TRON COULD BE RENAMED THE Q8 E-TRON
– Spy photographers have snapped the facelifted Audi E-Tron on multiple occasions, but the model could adopt a new name when it is introduced later this year.
– According to Automobilwoche, the updated crossover will be known as the Q8 E-Tron. While the move remains unconfirmed, it makes a lot of sense as the E-Tron moniker has been something of an oddity as there’s no number associated with it to tell customers its positioning.
– it appears Audi decided to bring forward the introduction of the Q8 E-Tron moniker from 2026 to 2022. This also suggests the facelifted model will stick around for approximately four years, before the all-new Q8 E-Tron is introduced.
PORSCHE SPENDING $113 MILLION TO BUY OUT OF PROJECT ARTEMIS
– Audi made big headlines awhile back, with its Project Artemis group of semi-autonomous cars. Part of that Project Artemis were cars like the Sky Sphere, a stunning open-top GT car, and the Grand Sphere, a luxurious four-door with a lounge-like cabin. All Artemis-based models will push autonomy to the forefront of their design objectives.
– Porsche — despite being part of the VW Group and a usual partner with Audi in EVs — doesn’t want any part of that. In fact, it’s so against the idea of making heavily autonomous vehicles that it’s actually paying its parent company to not be a part of Project Artemis.
– According to this new report from Automotive News, Porsche is going to pay Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles 100 million euros ($113 million) to buy itself out of Project Artemis.
– Instead, Porsche is going to build its own new flagship electric performance car, currently internally known as “K1”, which will be built on the PPE (Premium Platform Electric) platform.
Original Source : https://www.quattrodaily.com/porsche-buy-out-project-artemis/
RIVIAN FILES TRADEMARK FOR ELECTRIC BIKES
– Electric vehicle maker Rivian filed a new trademark for bicycles and electric bikes, as well as their corresponding structural parts. The move might signal that Rivian is considering getting on the e-bike demand train and diversifying its portfolio with a product that is cheaper to produce at scale than electric pickup trucks and in line with its targeted “adventure” seeking demographic.
– Last year, Porsche launched two new e-bikes that were designed with the spirit of the Taycan Cross Turismo. BMW has also released plans to produce several e-bikes and other micromobility vehicles lately, as well, like its all-electric CE 04 scooter.
HERE IS TESLA’S CCS2 CHARGE PORT ON A MODEL X IN TAIWAN
– After seeing Tesla’s new Model S with matrix LED headlights and revised taillight, we now have our very first look at the CCS2 charge port on a Model X refresh in Taiwan. We should see the CCS2 port on the Model S refresh, soon.
– DDCAR shared some images on Facebook tonight (via @EndlessPlaid) and one of them is the new CCS2 charge port on the Model X.
– The new charging door opens up at an angle, looking like one of the Falcon Wing doors on the Model X. As you can see, gone is the LED ring, and instead we have a lit-up Tesla logo as seen on a Model 3 and Model Y.
TESLA IS GETTING A NEW BATCH OF GIGA PRESS DELIVERIES IN GIGAFACTORY TEXAS
– Recent drone flyovers at the Gigafactory Texas site have revealed that Tesla is currently receiving what appears to be a new batch of Giga Press parts. If the new shipments are for the Model Y’s 6,000-ton die-casting machines, it would suggest that Giga Texas would soon have four of the house-sized contraptions.
– With the arrival of what appears to be the fourth 6,000-ton Model Y Giga Press, all eyes are now on the Giga Texas complex for the first signs of IDRA’s 8,000-ton Giga Press. The 8,000 ton Giga Press would be used for the Cybertruck’s underbody, and it would truly be one of the largest of its kind in the market.
DMV ‘REVISITING’ ITS APPROACH TO REGULATING TESLA’S PUBLIC SELF-DRIVING TEST
– For years, Tesla has tested autonomous vehicle technology on public roads without reporting crashes and system failures to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, as other robot car developers are required to do under DMV regulations.
– But confronted with dozens of viral videos showing Tesla’s Full Self-Driving beta technology driving the car into dangerous situations, and a letter of concern from a key state legislator, the DMV now says it’s reviewing Tesla’s behavior and reassessing its own policies.
– “Recent software updates, videos showing dangerous use of that technology, open investigations by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the opinions of other experts in this space” prompted the reevaluation, the DMV said in a letter Monday to state Sen. Lena Gonzalez (D-Long Beach), chair of the Senate’s transportation committee.
– If the DMV requires Tesla to conform to DMV autonomous testing safety regulations, the company would have to report crashes and system failures, giving the public hard data needed to evaluate how safe or how dangerous the technology is. It would also stiffen test-driver requirements.
TEEN HACKER FINDS BUG THAT LETS HIM CONTROL 25+ TESLAS REMOTELY
– A young hacker and IT security researcher found a way to remotely interact with more than 25 Tesla electric vehicles in 13 countries, according to a Twitter thread he posted yesterday.
– David Colombo explained in the thread that the flaw was “not a vulnerability in Tesla’s infrastructure. It’s the owner’s faults.” He claimed to be able to disable a car’s remote camera system, unlock doors and open windows, and even begin keyless driving. He could also determine the car’s exact location.
– Colombo says he reported the issue to Tesla’s security team, which is investigating the matter.
STARTUP SAYS ITS SOLAR UPGRADE FOR TESLAS ADDS 60 MILES IN RANGE PER DAY
– A startup called EV Solar Kits is working on a photovoltaic upgrade package for Tesla vehicles that it says will cost just $5,000 and add up to 60 miles of range per day.
– “There’s so many pain points that EV owners have, whether it’s range anxiety or lifestyle aversion,” cofounder Steele Wasik told Futurism. “There’s just so many variables when it comes to EVs. It’s kind of the Wild West right now. I wanted to see if I could take a swing at solving these problem with an aftermarket product.”
– he kits can be installed on the roof of Tesla’s Model 3 and Model Y vehicles, and that the company is also working on extendable trunk panels that will be compatible with any electric vehicle.
Original Source : https://futurism.com/solar-upgrade-teslas
RIMAC NEVERA PUTS IONITY ULTRA FAST CHARGER TO THE TEST: 333 KW
– Mate Rimac, the founder of the Rimac Automobili, shared a few images to show the incredible charging rate, one that we have never seen in a passenger electric car. The car was well above 300 kW and was able to maintain such a level, achieving unprecedented average charging power, close to 260 kW over a 21-minute session! This result crushes Lucid Air’s amazing fast charging curve – at least as far as raw power is considered.
– two images at 32% (311 kW) and 80% (141 kW) state-of-charge (SOC), while the third one – at 62% SOC and 333 kW – was additionally shared in an Automobile Propre article.
– The Rimac Nevera’s 120 kWh battery is an 800 V type (maximum 730 V), which should be able to recharge from 0 to 80% SOC in 22 minutes. The car’s max is 500 kW.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/559860/rimac-nevera-ionity-charger-333kw/
ZEEKR IS GETTING READY FOR EU ENTRY
– Chinese premium electric brand Zeekr, which belongs to the Geely Group, plans to offer its first model in the EU from the beginning of 2023. By 2025, the brand wants to expand its range to seven models and export a total of 100,000 vehicles.
– The brand has set itself a delivery target of 70,000 electric cars for this year.
– The nearly five-metre-long Zeekr 001 is based on the SEA platform of the Geely Holding Group and combines a dual-motor drive output of 400 kW with two battery variants of 86 or 100 kWh each.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/01/11/zeekr-is-getting-ready-for-eu-entry
LUCID MOTORS PLANS TO BUILD EV FACTORY IN SAUDI
– Lucid Group Inc. intends to build an electric-vehicle factory in Saudi Arabia by 2025 or 2026 and is negotiating details with ministries in the kingdom.
– The maker of the $169,000 Air sedan has been in talks with Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund to build an EV plant potentially near the Red Sea city of Jeddah, people familiar with the matter said earlier this year. The $360 billion Public Investment Fund, which is already a shareholder in Lucid, will provide much of the money for the site at the King Abdullah Economic City
PRICING AND SPECS REVEALED FOR MERCEDES’ LONGER-RANGE EVITO
– Mercedes has introduced an upgraded version of its eVito electric van, featuring a larger battery and rapid charging along with a new Premium trim line.
– Available to order now, it’s priced from £43,600, excluding VAT and the Plug-in Van Grant, and starts first deliveries in March.
– a new 66kWh lithium-ion battery that gives it a 162-mile range.
– The new battery also brings DC rapid charging capability with a maximum rate of 80kW. This gives a 10-80% charge in around 35 minutes,
SWITCH TO EVS WILL COST TREASURY £5BN A YEAR IN LOST FUEL DUTY BY 2028
– Chancellor Rishi Sunak is on track to lose almost a third of the revenue raised from fuel taxation on motorists within eight years as a result of the growing demand and shift to electric cars, according to a new report.
– The collapse in the sale of new diesels in particular in favour of green battery models could cause the Treasury’s annual fuel duty income from cars to drop from £16.4billion in 2019 to an estimated £11.4billion in 2028, analysis by the RAC Foundation claims.
– This £5billion loss is roughly equivalent to what is spent operating, maintaining and enhancing motorways and major A-roads in England each year, it says.
– RAC Foundation director Steve Gooding says Mr Sunak now faces a ‘dilemma’ as the growth in electric cars is causing him to lose out on fuel duty, which is 57.95p per litre for petrol and diesel.
– Fuel duty alone today makes up two fifths (40 per cent) of the total amount drivers pay at the pumps for unleaded, based on current prices at 145.7p-a-litre).
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
The 4th anniversary of this podcast is next week on Tuesday 18th January. So this week it’s a self-indulgent question, and I’ll hope you forgive me for that. What would you like to see and hear from this show in 2022. What would you keep, and what would you change. What would you like to see new?
Email me your answer now: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL