If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 11th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Executive Producer TIMOTHY PHILLIPS
FERRARI NAMES NEW LEADERSHIP TEAM TO TACKLE ELECTRIFICATION CHALLENGES
– Ferrari unveiled a new management team to lead the automaker as it faces the challenges of embracing electrification
– The leadership shake-up is one of the first major moves of CEO Benedetto Vigna, who took on the role at the beginning of September, moving to Ferrari from STMicrolectronics. Hiring two executives from his former employer suggests Vigna is turning to trusted allies to aid his turnaround of the auomaker that has been slow to embrace new era of cleaner, silent and interconnected mobility.
– Investors are eager to hear about Vigna’s strategy for the era of battery technology and digital services. Ferrari plans to share more details on its plans during a capital markets day in June.
– While Ferrari has always embraced new technologies that were developed in racing, it has been relatively slow to explore fully electric powertrains
– It’s not hard to see why it has been slow. Ferrari’s brand was built on its racetrack successes and, crucially, on the sounds and sensations of its V-12 and V-8 gasoline engines. While the company has embraced emissions-friendly technologies like turbocharging and, more recently, gasoline-electric hybrid drivetrains, it has yet to show a fully electric vehicle — or even talk at length about what one might look like — though it did tell us last year that we can expect an electric Ferrari by 2025.
– Because Ferrari is as much a luxury company as an automaker, it has to be concerned about how its wealthy clients will receive an electric Ferrari.
TESLA’S ‘FULL SELF-DRIVING’ BETA HAS AN ‘ASSERTIVE’ DRIVING MODE THAT ‘MAY PERFORM ROLLING STOPS’
– Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta lets you choose from three driving “profiles” that dictate how the car will react to certain situations on the road. Each mode, “Chill,” “Average,” and “Assertive,” varies in terms of aggressiveness (and potentially safety).
– In the description beneath the “Assertive” option, Tesla notes the vehicle will “have a smaller follow distance” and “perform more frequent speed lane changes.” The vehicle will also “not exit passing lanes” and “may perform rolling stops,” and it’s not entirely clear whether this means cars won’t come to a full stop at stop signs.
- Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/9/22875382/tesla-full-self-driving-beta-assertive-profile
– However, it could sometimes be safer for an automated system to be more assertive, like a human driver, rather than being overly cautious, one motor safety expert said.
– The list of behaviours has been criticised by some on social media as being less safe. But Matthew Avery, from the UK’s Thatcham Research, said that well-designed driverless systems are theoretically safer than human drivers because they eliminate human error.
– In many jurisdictions, failing to come to a complete halt at a stop line is illegal, and can result in someone failing their driving test. As a habit, many drivers simply come to a slow crawl – or a rolling stop – instead, but it is considered a dangerous technique.
– These appear to be part of both Tesla’s average and assertive modes. The description that the car “will not exit passing lanes” also seems to contradict some regional rules.
– But in the US, where they drive on the right, several states – but not all – have made it illegal to leave the right-hand lane unless overtaking. Similarly, in the UK, the Highway Code says motorists should always stay in the left lane unless overtaking, and return to the left when safe to do so. It is not clear if Tesla’s system will account for national or state-based variations in the rules about staying in the overtaking lanes, or what the term rolling stops means in relation to stop signs.
Original Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59939536
CHIPMAKERS REVEAL NEW PARTNERS AT TRADE SHOW
– Nvidia released the eighth-generation autonomous driving platform Drive Hyperion at this year’s CES. It is designed with Nvidia Drive Orin system-on-a-chip, a central computer for software-defined vehicles
– The Drive Hyperion 8 platform includes 12 state-of-the-art cameras, 12 ultrasonics, three interior cameras, and one front-facing lidar.
– The company also highlighted a number of new energy vehicle makers adopting the Hyperion platform, including Polestar, Li Auto, Nio, R Auto and Xpeng.
– Mobileye, Intel’s autonomous driving hardware and software arm, unveiled its latest generation of self-driving car system-on-a-chip at the CES.
– Mobileye signed deals with Geely’s electric arm Zeekr to build an NEV with Level 4 autonomous driving.
Original Source : http://en.ce.cn/main/latest/202201/10/t20220110_37242268.shtml
CHIP SHORTAGE LEAVES TESLA AND OTHER ELECTRIC CAR BUYERS IN CHINA WAITING MONTHS FOR NEW VEHICLES
– The ongoing global chip shortage has left car buyers in China waiting several months for newly purchased vehicles to arrive, as assemblers and component manufacturers struggle to keep up with demand.
– The electric vehicles (EVs) market has been especially hard-hit owing to its need for more semiconductors than traditional carmakers. Premium cars that need more chips for driver assistance and other electronic systems remain in high demand despite a slowdown in production.
– Two sales managers at Tesla, the global leader in EV sales, said buyers ordering Shanghai-made Model 3 and Model Y vehicles will not see their new cars until the end of the first quarter.
– In mainland China, the world’s largest automotive market, global foundries can only produce enough semiconductors, microcontrollers and high-end chips with artificial intelligence (AI) processors for about 4 million new energy vehicles (NEVs), according to the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA). That leaves a shortfall of 1 million vehicles based on the guild’s forecast for demand this year of NEVs, a term used in China to refer to electric and hybrid vehicles.
BMW AIMS TO DOUBLE ELECTRIC VEHICLE SALES TO 200,000 IN 2022
– BMW’s sales numbers for 2021 still haven’t been fully released, but we know for a fact the main brand delivered 2.2 million vehicles to set a new record and beat Mercedes in the process. More than 100,000 of these cars didn’t have a combustion engine and the Bavarian marque is confident it will double that number in 2022.
– The disclosure was made by BMW sales chief Pieter Nota in an interview with Automotive News during which he described EVs as being a “big growth driver” for the company’s 2021 performance. He went on to say: “We are very confident about doubling [EV sales] again this year, when the iX and i4 will be fully available.”
– Sold out for months, the two zero-emission vehicles will receive a production hike in 2022 to meet strong demand by adding 6,000 jobs.
– The new i3 is likely to remain a China-only affair whereas the other four zero-emission models we mentioned will be globally available. Nota told AN “there is a lot of momentum in our pipeline,” but cautioned the charging infrastructure is a “key enabler” of EV adoption.
MERCEDES INCREASES PLUG-IN CAR SALES BY ALMOST 70%
– Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars delivered a total of 227,458 electric cars and plug-in hybrids in 2021, 69.3 per cent more than in the previous year. The majority was taken by plug-in hybrids, including Smart and Mercedes-Benz Vans, as a total of 99,301 BEVs were delivered.
– Of the 99,301 BEVs, 48,936 came from the Mercedes-EQ brand, marking an increase of 154.8 per cent. In 2020 as a whole, there were 48,700 battery-electric cars across all Group brands, including Smart and Vans. With the 99,301 BEVs, Daimler has virtually doubled its sales of battery-electric cars.
– The sales share of electrified cars is thus around 9.5 per cent. In 2020, it was still 7.4 per cent. Mercedes was thus able to grow, but more slowly than planned: At the beginning of 2021, an “xEV share” of 13 per cent was announced for the full year
– Since the market release of the EQS in August 2021, 16,370 orders have already been received. However, the Stuttgart-based company points to the fact that the market launch of the EQS in the two largest markets – the United States and China – only took place in December
LG ENERGY SOLUTION EXPECTS TO OUTSTRIP CHINA’S CATL IN GLOBAL EV BATTERY MARKET SHARE
– LG Energy Solution Ltd. could overtake its Chinese rival and the world’s No. 1 player CATL in share of the global electric vehicle (EV) battery market, given the apparent higher order backlog and other factors, its chief said Monday.
Kwon Young-soo, CEO of the South Korean battery maker, made the remarks in an online press conference on its upcoming listing, highlighting that his company has an upper hand in terms of intellectual properties and diversity in the foreign client pool.
– LG Energy Solution, which supplies batteries to Tesla, Hyundai Motor, General Motors, among many others, has a cumulative order backlog worth about 260 trillion won.
Original Source : https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20220110007500320
GM ALIGNS WITH CALIFORNIA ON EMISSION RULES, STATE LOOKS TO BUY GM EVS
– General Motors said it will recognize California’s authority to set vehicle emission standards under the Clean Air Act.
– The automaker sent a letter to California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday saying it is “committed to complying with California’s regulations.”
– GM’s move now puts it on the list of carmakers to be eligible for government fleet purchases by the state of California, including purchases of GM’s upcoming electric vehicles, GM said in a news release Sunday.
– Three years ago, Newsom announced the state would not buy any GM vehicles for its government fleets because GM had supported then-President Donald Trump’s efforts to ban California from making its own emissions rules.
– In November 2020, shortly after Joe Biden was elected president, GM reversed its support of Trump in the tailpipe emissions battle and now says it’s “proud” to share California’s vision.
– During the Trump administration, California, 22 other states and environmental groups had challenged the administration’s claim that federal law forbids California from setting harsh emission standards and zero-emission mandates. Ford Motor Co., Honda Motor Co. and Volkswagen AG did not back the Trump administration.
TESLA ASKS FANBASE TO SUPPORT PUSH TO ALLOW DIRECT SALES IN NEW YORK
– Tesla is using its “Tesla Engage” platform to ask its fanbase to support a new push to convince the New York governor and legislature to allow direct sales of its electric vehicles in the state.
– In a post about the situation in New York last week relayed by Tesla NY Club manager Stephen Pallotta , Tesla argues that the state is behind on electric vehicle adoption because of its direct sale restrictions:
– “New York State has adopted the strongest climate law in the country, yet it is 23rd in electric vehicle adoption per capita and lags far behind states like California, Colorado, Florida, and Massachusetts that are leading in EV adoption. Florida allows direct sales without restriction and has over 50% more electric vehicle registrations per capita than New York simply because it is easier to buy an electric vehicle there. This has to change.”
– The automaker asks people to contact Governor Hochul and NY Leadership and express their support for direct sales of EVs
THE TESLA MODEL 3 WAS A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH IN GERMANY’S DEC 2021 VEHICLE SALES
– As per data from the German Federal Motor Transport Authority (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt or KBA), a total of 6,096 Tesla Model 3 were sold in the country last month. This effectively made it the 2nd-best-selling car in Germany, only behind the much smaller and much more affordable Volkswagen e-up!, which sold a total of 6,742 units in December 2021. This is quite a feat for the Model 3, as the vehicle is a premium midsize sedan and the e-up! is a small city car.
– True to its reputation as one of Europe’s favorite electric cars, the Renault Zoe ended the month as Germany’s 7th best-selling car in December with 4,571 units sold.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-surges-germany-december-21-vehicle-sales/?utm_source=pocket_mylist
COMPANY OFFERING ROUND TESLA MODEL S YOKE CONVERSION
– We all knew this was coming. Having dominated much of the discussion surrounding Tesla’s 2021 update of the Model S and Model Y, the controversial yoke-style steering wheel has been ‘fixed’ by the aftermarket.
– This particular solution (the first of many, no doubt) comes from T Sportline, which bills itself as the ‘world’s first Tesla tuner’. It seems quite an involved process, which involves taking a stock Model S/X Yoke and adding a new top section made from “the finest 3M metal structure and baltic birch plywood for extensive layers, density and strength,” T Sportline says.
– You’re looking at $2299 for the least expensive version. If you want to customise the upholstery, the price increases to $2499, and if you want a carbon fibre wheel, it’s $3499. Buyers are also expected to send their original unmodified yokes into T Sportline to have a $500 “core exchange fee” refunded after they’ve transferred over the airbag.
MFG TO INVEST £50M IN 60 NEW ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING HUBS THIS YEAR
– Motor Fuel Group is pumping over £50m into electric vehicle chargers this year. The move will see the forecourt operator open 60 new EV hubs across the UK, consisting of more than 350 ultra-rapid 150kW EV chargers – which can add 100 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes.
– The new hubs will be a mixture of EV charging hubs added to existing MFG sites as well as new standalone ones. MFG hopes these will then be upgraded with more powerful 350kW EV chargers
– The move comes after MFG announced last year it will invest £400m in an EV infrastructure across its UK network by the end of 2030. It intends for 3,000 150kW and 350kW EV chargers to be installed at 500 sites. It has so far built 40 hubs as of last year, with 20 currently open to the public and the remainder waiting to be energised in early 2022.
Original Source : https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/forecourts/mfg-to-invest-50m-in-60-new-electric-vehicle-charging-hubs-this-year/663399.article
VAUXHALL COMBO LIFE AND VIVARO LIFE GO EXCLUSIVELY ELECTRIC FOR 2022
– Vauxhall has announced that its Combo Life and Vivaro Life MPVs will be sold exclusively as electric vehicles from 2022, furthering the company’s ambition to become a fully electric brand by 2028. The electric Combo-e Life and Vivaro-e Life models have also received a price reduction across the board.
– The smaller Combo-e Life now starts from £29,610 after the government grant has been applied, compared with £30,610 previously. For the seven-seat version, the price rises to £30,110, which is also £1000 less than before. The extended-wheelbase XL model commands a £100 premium over the standard seven-seater, and undercuts the previous price by £2000.
– The Combo-e Life uses a 50kWh battery which provides a range of 174 miles. Vauxhall is also offering cost savings on the larger Vivaro-e Life, which now starts from £30,295 as opposed to £32,135. The long-wheelbase variant is priced at £30,495, compared with £32,495 previously.
– Thanks to its larger dimensions and increased weight, claimed range decreases to 143 miles on the WLTP cycle. The Vivaro-e Life can, however, carry up to nine passengers.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
The 4th anniversary of this podcast is next week on Tuesday 18th January. So this week it’s a self-indulgent question, and I’ll hope you forgive me for that. What would you like to see and hear from this show in 2022. What would you keep, and what would you change. What would you like to see new?
Email me your answer now: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL