If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 10th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome (back) to a new Patreon Executive Producer RAJ BADWAL
This story was sent to me by listener Brian Kristensen in Denmark, driving a Polestar 2.
SALES OF ELECTRIC CARS AND PLUG-IN HYBRIDS BREAK RECORDS IN DENMARK
– Sales of electric cars and plug-in hybrids have broken records in Denmark.They exceeded those of petrol and diesel cars last month, according to the Danish Car Importers Association (DBI).
– There were 10,274 electric or plug-in hybrids sold in December, representing 57.8 per cent of total car sales in the country.
– Mads Rørvig, CEO of DBI.”Electric car sales have increased by 75 per cent compared to 2020, while plug-in hybrids have grown by over 120 per cent. However, we expect that the proportion of plug-in hybrids will fall in 2022, as the tax on these particular ones increased.
REPORT: NO AMD RYZEN RETROFITS FOR OLDER TESLA MODEL 3/Y
– The list of updated features includes: AMD Ryzen processor (accelerates the entire infotainment/navigation) lithium-ion auxiliary battery (replaces 12 V lead-acid auxiliary battery) heated wiper park (at the lower section of the windshield) 13 speakers (down from 14) plus subwoofer (“no appreciable difference in sound quality”)
– Tesla notes that they have NO plans to offer any of these options above as service retrofits. That includes the AMD processor.”
– Trailer Auxiliary (tow hitch enabled vehicles): It’s been disabled. New 12 LV Li-ion battery requires a new power conversion adapter to be compatible with 12-volt trailer power. Adapter will be available in Mid-2022 & owners can retrofit then. Trailer lights/brakes not impacted
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/559570/report-amd-ryzen-retrofits-tesla/
Phil Roberts (@philroberts) / Twitter
– Anyone else had the get ready for your @tesla Model Y Performance delivery email? I wasn’t expecting it until June and got the email this morning
– Picked up a 3LR a couple of weeks ago for one of staff and seemingly that “get ready” email came about 2 weeks before the final delivery email, kinda surprised
Original Source : https://twitter.com/philroberts/status/1479394731889152007
TESLA MODEL Y WILL DELIVER TO FIRST UK CUSTOMERS IN FEBRUARY, DELIVERY
– The first deliveries of Tesla Model Y to the UK are expected in February. The order holders received emails asking them to complete the pre-delivery tasks, indicating the expected delivery time.
– Until the production of cars begins at Giga Berlin, Model Ys will be shipped from Giga Shanghai, which requires a longer delivery time to the UK. Obviously, cars for the country are being manufactured in late December-early January and will soon be or have already been shipped. Usually, carrier ships deliver cargo from China to the UK in 36 to 45 days, which means that the first vehicles can reach the coast as early as early February.
TESLA GIGA TEXAS COULD START MODEL Y PRODUCTION IN 7-10 DAYS
– Wedbush Managing Director and Senior Equity Analyst Dan Ives recently posted a rather interesting estimate for Tesla’s Gigafactory Texas project. According to the Wall Street veteran, Giga Texas may very well be capable of starting Model Y production over the next 7-10 days. If Wedbush’s estimate proves accurate, Tesla could see some serious momentum this Q1 2022.
– Based on our analysis of Giga Austin it appears paperwork is now clearing the way for Model Y production starting over the next 7-10 days. We believe the stamping machines for Model Y and testing is already in place and mostly completed, green light for Tesla to kick off Austin
KENWORTH DEBUTS ITS FIRST CLASS 8 BATTERY-ELECTRIC TRUCK
– For decades, Kenworth made a name for itself building rugged semis designed to last for years. Of late, however, the company started making strides in the zero-emission department
– Kenworth’s drive towards creating green-powered fleets included developing electric batteries resulting in the automaker building its new T68OE cab
– Weighing in at 82,000 lbs, the T68OE boasts an electric-powered engine capable of churning 670 horsepower and 1,623 pound feet of torque. While being able to register a top speed of 65 mph “depending on applications,” the model is flexible enough to operate as a tractor or a “straight truck” courtesy of a 6×4 axle configuration, designed to deliver power to more wheels.
– The state-of-the-art cab’s battery can run for 150 miles before recharging, achievable via a standard SAE XXS1 port
NEW FRENCH LAW REQUIRES CAR ADS TO ENCOURAGE VIEWERS NOT TO DRIVE
– France has taken a unique step to remind people cars suck. In December, the country passed a law requiring the creators of car commercials to encourage viewers to try not driving a car—at least, whenever it’s possible.
– Advertisements must now include reference to travel alternatives, such as walking or biking, taking public transportation or, at the very least, carpooling.
– Under the new law, commercials aired in the country will be obligated to include one of the following phrases in their ad copy: “For short journeys, walk or cycle,” “Think about carpooling,” and “On a daily basis, take public transport.” (In French, of course.) In some cases, the ads will also be required to sport the hashtag #SeDéplacerMoinsPolluer, meaning “Move without pollution.”
– The legislation, which applies not just to TV but also to print, web, and radio ads, mandates that the messages be presented in an “easily readable or audible manner” and that they be made “clearly distinguishable from the advertising message and from any other obligatory mention.” Companies that fail to meet such requirements will be subject to stiff fines
BRITISH LITHIUM EXTRACTS LITHIUM FROM GRANITE IN CORNWALL
– In order to still be competitive in terms of costs, British Lithium has developed what it claims is a particularly efficient process to process the raw material. The process is said to work at lower temperatures, which saves energy. The use of chemicals was also reduced.
– The company British Lithium says it has extracted lithium from granite for the first time – initially on a pilot scale. The pilot plant is expected to produce five kilogrammes of lithium carbonate per day from the beginning of this year.
– British Lithium plans to build a large plant to produce 21,000 tonnes of battery-grade lithium carbonate per year. This plant is to be built in close proximity to the granite quarry. On the one hand, to keep the transport routes short, on the other hand, to create jobs in the region of Cornwall.
MICROSOFT WIGGLES INTO ELECTRIC CARS
– The new EV virtual butler of XPeng will use Microsoft’s Azure cloud to offload the processing tasks from the cars’ chipset and provide unsurpassed life-like voice command experience inside XPeng’s electric cars
– Microsoft has partnered with one of the most promising electric car makers, XPeng, to provide its Azure AI-powered voice that scored the highest of any in-car virtual assistant on the MOS voice quality scale.
– The new Azure-processed voice will go to XPeng’s virtual butler that can be tasked to do things around the car like roll down the windows or adjust the AC and infotainment systems while driving. Processing the voice commands via Microsoft’s Azure AI offloads the car’s processing power and achieves unparallelled life-like performance of the virtual butler.
THE DAKAR RALLY WILL FEATURE ITS FIRST HYDROGEN CAR IN 2024
– The Dakar Rally is making a big push to feature alternatively-powered vehicles in the iconic competition. This year has Audi debuting the Dakar’s first electric entrant while the truck class has hydrogen and hybrid vehicles for the first time. 2022 is just the first step of this push. During the rest day at this year’s Dakar, GCK Motorsport unveiled the hydrogen prototype it intends to enter in the car class in 2024.
– The fuel cell will hold 66 pounds (30 kg) of pressurized hydrogen stored at over 10,000 pounds per square inch.
– The prototype will also feature a 50 kWh lithium-ion battery primarily to serve as an anti-lag device to counteract the slow responsiveness of hydrogen fuel cells.
– The electric Audi RS Q e-tron is currently using a turbocharged 2-liter inline-4 cylinder engine as a range extender during this year’s Dakar, so it will be possible for the e-Blast to find a method of reaching stage finishes.
LESSONS FROM NORWAY ABOUT HOW TO SWITCH TO ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– the speed of the transition here has surprised everyone. Almost sixty-five percent of new passenger cars sold in Norway in 2021 were electric; in addition, 22% were plug-in hybrids. Put differently, only 14% of new cars were sold without a plug. Now that there are many models to choose from and the range has improved, EVs are purchased all over the country. It took us only 10 years to move from 1% to 65%, and next year I believe we will pass 80%.
– The government therefore taxes the sales of new polluting cars heavily but does not tax EVs at all, making EVs, which are more expensive because of their production costs, a competitive and appealing option. The Norwegian parliament has also decided that all sales of new cars and vans shall be zero emission by 2025.
– the key is to start taxing new sales of at least the most polluting car models and use this money to subsidize EVs. This is a fair way to implement climate policies as it is aimed at people buying a new car, rather than an indiscriminate tax at the gas pump.
Original Source : https://time.com/6133180/norway-electric-vehicles/
COMING SOON! MASTER’S IN ELECTRIC VEHICLES AT IIT MADRAS
– The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in Madras is set to start a Master’s programme on electric vehicles (EV) that will enhance research capabilities in the field and boost students’ engagement with eMobility.
– An interdisciplinary dual degree (IDDD), the programme will be offered for BTech and dual degree students from January 2022 during their third year of study. The initial intake is expected to be 25 students.
– IIT-Madras’ head of department of engineering design, T Asokan, was quoted as saying in The Indian Express: “The content offered is carefully curated to build sufficient depth in each domain, starting from vehicle basics and going to very specific EV aggregates including batteries and motors.”
– Students graduating from the programme will have the skills required to pursue job opportunities in EV product development including EV integration, vehicle aggregate engineering, communication and calibration, verification and validation, and product and portfolio planning.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
The 4th anniversary of this podcast is next week on Tuesday 18th January. So this week it’s a self-indulgent question, and I’ll hope you forgive me for that. What would you like to see and hear from this show in 2022. What would you keep, and what would you change. What would you like to see new?
Email me your answer now: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL