If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 6th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Producer NETZ HOG.
2024 CHEVROLET SILVERADO EV MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT CES
– Chevrolet has finally lifted the veils off its first all-electric pickup truck, the 2024 Silverado EV based on GM’s Ultium EV platform.
– Going head to head with the Ford F-150 Lightning, the Silverado EV has the major advantage of being built from the ground up as an electric vehicle—the Lightning uses a modified version of the ICE F-150 platform.
– In the fall of 2023, Chevrolet will introduce the fully loaded Silverado EV RST First Edition model with a 400-mile range and an MSRP of $105,000 (plus destination and freight charges).
– This model (as well as non-First Edition RST variants) will pack 664 horsepower and more than 780 lb-ft (1,056 Nm) of torque from an e4WD system with the available max power Wide Open Watts Mode, enabling 0-60 acceleration in under 4.5 seconds.
– Customers splurging more than a hundred grand on the RST First Edition will also get goodies like four-wheel steering, Automatic Adaptive Air Suspension (raises or lowers up to 2 inches/50 mm), Multi-Flex Midgate that expands cargo capability while maintaining seating for a rear row passenger, and available Multi-Flex Tailgate with power release.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/558852/2024-chevrolet-silverado-ev-unveiled/
– Like Lightning, Silverado EV pricing starts at just under $40,000 before government tax breaks. Unlike Lightning, which uses a familiar F-150 ladder frame, the Silverado EV makes a clean break from its petrol-powered Silverado stablemate with an all-new platform based on GM’s 800-volt Ultium battery skateboard and capable of fast, 350-kW charging. It’s the same architecture that cradles the Hummer EV — GMC’s first foray into the e-pickup space.
– The retail strategy will initially target premium EV buyers who also have the coin for, say, a $105k Mercedes EQS EV. Pickups like the Silverado High Country have become prized by luxury items in recent years, though the RST EV will cost $40,000 more than a fully-loaded V8-powered High Country.
– he high-voltage platform rivals the Porsche and Lucid Air luxury cars and can add 100 miles of range in 10 minutes at a fast charger. The Chevy’s 400-mile range bests Lightning by 100 miles.
– A flying buttress C-pillar — reminiscent of the 2013 Chevy Avalanche pickup — frames the 5’ 11” bed that can be extended to 9 feet (10’ 10” with the tailgate down) by dropping the Multi-Flex Midgate wall and window behind the rear, crew-cab passengers. It’s not as radical looking as the angular Tesla Cybertruck, but it’s distinct from traditional, boxy Silverados. The gate can be split 60/40 — or drop flat with storage for the removable window. The rear Multi-Flex Tailgate offers multi-functionality like walk-in steps or a work table.
– The Silverado EV will be assembled alongside the Hummer EV at the Factory Zero Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center, the plant retooled with an EV-focused, $2.2 billion investment.
HOW DOES THE 2024 CHEVROLET SILVERADO EV COMPARE TO OTHER ELECTRIC PICKUPS?
– Chevy then plans to fill in the middle of the Silverado EV lineup with additional variants including the RST and Trail Boss, with prices ranging from $50,000 to $80,000 “or more” depending on equipment.
– As for other electric pickups, the Ford F-150 Lightning will be available as a standard-range work truck for roughly $40,000, with extended-range versions starting at around $50,000 (all before options). The Rivian R1T will be priced from the high $60,000 to low $70,000 range to start, but the price can quickly escalate with options. The GMC Hummer EV pickup available at launch will be priced at more than $112,000, with cheaper versions coming in later years. When the Cybertruck was revealed, Tesla said it would cost between $40,000 and $70,000 depending on configuration, but like all Tesla prices, those are subject to change.
– Chevrolet Silverado EV WT Fleet trim:
- $39,900 starting price
- 510 hp, 615lb ft tq
- Estimated 400 mile range
- 8,000 lb & eventual available 20,000 lb towing capability
- 1,200lb payload
- 350kw DC Fast charging speeds
- V2V charging capability
- Spring 2023 deliveries
– Chevy Silverado EV RST
-0-60 4.5 secs
-10k lb towing
-350kw DCFC speeds
-Multiflex Mid-gate fold seats for bed access & length extends 10ft 10in
-4 wheel steering
-Adaptive air suspension w/ 2in of travel
-Fall 2023 delivery
GM SHOWS OFF-ROAD-ORIENTED 2024 CHEVROLET SILVERADO EV TRAIL BOSS
– The Trail Boss was shown being driven quickly on a dirt track as well as tackling some seriously difficult terrain while GM CEO Mary Barra was delivering her keynote speech at CES 2022. GM later released a single photo showing it off in more detail.
– We expect the Silverado EV Trail Boss to cost around $65,000 and it should be available along with other versions when the model is set to go into production next spring.
A $30,000 CHEVROLET EQUINOX EV SUV IS COMING
– Forget the six-figure Silverado EV: the most exciting upcoming electric Chevrolet could be a far more attainable pair of SUVs. The automaker accompanied its electric pickup news at CES 2022 today with the confirmation that an Chevrolet Equinox EV SUV is coming, along with a larger Chevrolet Blazer EV SUV.
– Both the Equinox EV SUV and the Blazer EV SUV will be arriving in the US in 2024, the former in the fall and the latter in the spring.
– The Equinox EV SUV will be priced from around $30,000, Chevrolet says, plus destination and other fees, and before incentives. It’ll be offered in both fleet and retail versions, too, including in LT and RS trims as Chevy showed off in its images today. As with the Silverado EV, Cadillac Lyriq, and GMC HUMMER EV, the Equinox EV will be based on GM’s Ultium platform dedicated to electric vehicles.
– What makes the news so important is just how strong a seller the existing Equinox is in Chevrolet’s line-up, and among compact SUVs in general. It’s the automaker’s “second-highest selling brand nameplate” according to Steve Hill, Vice President at Chevrolet.
TESLA’S MODEL 3 WAS THE UK’S SECOND MOST POPULAR NEW CAR IN 2021
– A record 190,727 new battery electric cars were registered in the U.K. last year, according to figures released on Thursday, with Tesla’s Model 3 the best-selling battery electric model.
– The vehicle was the second most popular new car overall, according to Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, behind the Vauxhall Corsa.
– In a release Thursday, the SMMT described 2021 as the “most successful year in history for electric vehicle uptake.” It said that more new battery electric vehicles had been registered in 2021 than over the five previous years combined.
SOLAR-TOPPED MERCEDES EQV ELECTRIC CAMPER VAN IGNITES E-RV MARKET
– ow Mercedes becomes one of the first auto brands to introduce an all-electric camper van. Based on the 225-mile EQV electric passenger van, the new four-sleeper e-camper features a tailgate kitchen, fold-out bed and solarized pop-up roof.
– Ever since Mercedes first introduced the EQV in August 2019, we’ve been waiting for someone to develop a camper van version. With between 514 and 537 cm (202 and 211 in) of length, the EQV is a mid-size van, much like the iconic Volkswagen Transporter and larger than the small Nissan e-NV200 that has served as the base for earlier electric camper van conversions.
– the conversion kit comes from Swiss upfitter Sortimo and the camper involves a “two-invoice” transaction. The kit isn’t quite as clean and integrated as Mercedes’ Marco Polo, relying on a slide-out outdoor kitchen rather than an interior sidewall unit.
– The Sortimo S-Camper box is a nice enough tailgate kitchen, but the one disappointment with this one is that it relies on a gas dual-burner stove, missing the opportunity to make the first EQV camper run completely electrically at camp, just as it does on the road.
– The roof can optionally be equipped with two solar panels for 400 watts of charging directed at the leisure and starter batteries (not the powertrain battery).
– Factor in the swivel seats and other camper equipment, and we’d expect EQV camper prices to fall somewhere between €80,000 and 90,000
Original Source : https://newatlas.com/automotive/mercedes-eqv-electric-camper-van/
TESLA IN AUSTIN, TEXAS: UPDATE ON GIGAFACTORY OPENING DATE
– Tesla’s Gigafactory in Austin appears to be nearing its opening date. According to Travis County, areas of the massive factory have received certificates of completion which, according to the Austin Business Journal, is necessary to obtain before a business can open a building.
– The factory will produce the Model Y electric SUVs as well as the Cybertruck. Unless state laws change, the electric vehicles will have to be shipped out of state to be sold to Texans.
– In early December, Tesla’s headquarters moved from California to the site of the Austin Gigafactory. Tesla CEO Elon Musk recently tweeted that the factory would be hosting a “grand opening party with factory tours in early 2022.”
SVOLT PRESENTS NEW LFP BATTERY CELL
– SVOLT presented its new product category from the lithium iron phosphate battery cell family at a company event. The cell variant with LiFePO4 cell chemistry is expected to be produced from the third quarter of 2022.
– A Short Blade cell is 21.5 millimetres thick, 118 millimetres wide and 574 millimetres long. For comparison: BYD’s blade battery is the same width, slightly flatter but 905 millimetres long. In terms of capacity, energy content and energy density, both batteries are at a comparable level – sometimes with advantages for BYD, sometimes for SVOLT.
– SVOLT mentions that this cell is CTP-capable, i.e. it can be installed directly in a battery pack without the diversions via a battery module.
– According to SVOLT, the L300 series is primarily intended for 800-volt high-end models. Accordingly, this battery was designed for a fast charging performance of 2.2 to 4C. To suit these cells, SVOLT has also presented a 4C fast-charging technology, a special thermal insulation for precisely those 800-volt charging systems and an advanced heat pump.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/01/05/svolt-presents-new-lfp-battery-cell
VOLVO, DAIMLER AND TRATON TO BUILD HIGH-POWER CHARGING NETWORK
– Commercial vehicle manufacturers Volvo Group, Daimler Truck and the Traton Group have agreed to create a joint venture to build and operate a high-power public charging network for heavy-duty long-haul trucks and coaches across Europe.
– The planned JV, which will be equally owned by the three firms, is scheduled to start operations in 2022. The parties have committed to invest a total of €500 million. The plan is to deploy at least 1,700 charging points on and close to highways, as well as at logistic centers and destination points, within five years. The new charging network will be open and accessible to all commercial vehicles, regardless of brand.
AMAZON MAKES A DEAL WITH STELLANTIS TO BUY ELECTRIC RAM PROMASTER
– Amazon announced that it will buy an undisclosed number of electric delivery vans from Stellantis in 2023. The automaker has said that it will roll out an all-electric version of its Ram ProMaster commercial van that year.
– Amazon says it will be the first commercial customer when they eventually enter production, with the two companies working together to put “thousands” of electric vans on the road.
– In addition to the deal for the Ram EVs, Amazon and Stellantis also announced that they would be working together to develop in-car software for Stellantis’ lineup of cars, trucks, and vans. The deal will allow Amazon to integrate its software into “millions” of vehicles, the companies said.
– While this isn’t the same as Volvo completely turning over its vehicle operating system to Google’s Android, it does give Amazon a stronger toehold in the auto industry and could help Stellantis compete with other software-leading car companies like Tesla.
JIM ROWAN ANNOUNCED AS NEW CEO OF VOLVO CARS
– Volvo Cars announced to day that Jim Rowan would be taking the helm as CEO & President, but it’s Jim’s background in EVs and autonomous driving tech that should make the rest of the industry sit up and take notice: Volvo is serious about self-driving cars.
– Jim served as the CEO of Dyson after that company’s acquisition of solid-state battery firm Sakti3, and during the development of the stillborn Dyson electric car, so he understands the battery-electric car business intimately. What’s more exciting, though, is Rowan’s tenure at Blackberry.
– Not to hype Rowan too much, but Volvo’s new CEO is exactly the guy you want to chart your car company’s course into the autonomous, electric future (assuming Elon Musk is unavailable, that is). This is a huge “get” for Volvo Cars, and speaks highly of their priorities.
PANASONIC TO USE REDWOOD’S RECYCLED MATERIALS
– Panasonic battery cells made at the Gigafactory it operates with Tesla will use more recycled materials by the end of 2022 as part of an expanded partnership with startup Redwood Materials.
– Panasonic said Tuesday at the 2022 CES tech trade show that Redwood Materials will start supplying it with copper foil produced from recycled materials, a critical component of the anode side of a battery cell. Redwood will begin producing the copper foil in the first half of the year; the copper foil will then head to Panasonic where it will be used in cell production by the end of the year.
– A battery contains two electrodes. There’s an anode (negative) on one side and a cathode (positive) on the other. An electrolyte sits in the middle and acts as the courier that moves ions between the electrodes when charging and discharging. The anode is typically made of copper foil coated with graphite.
– Redwood Materials, which was founded by former Tesla CTO JB Straubel in 2017
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
This question was suggested by Joshua Pritt: “If you live in an apartment or condo or otherwise can’t charge at home, how do you charge? Is it a terrible inconvenience or do you have a simple routine to charge during your shopping trips?”
Email me your answer now: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL