If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 5th January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Executive Producer ROBBIENY.
BMW IX M60 REVEALED – 619BHP FLAGSHIP TO RIVAL AUDI E-TRON S
– The striking new BMW iX SUV has just been given a high performance flagship in the form of the new M60 range-topper. This bold high performance electric SUV will rival Audi’s e-Tron S and Tesla’s Model X, while also giving the M Performance sub-brand a second model.
– M60 utilises two electric motors with one placed on each axle, but power is raised from the most potent iX 50i’s 523bhp to a more robust 619bhp.
– Feeding these more potent electric motors is the same 105.2kWh battery pack, giving the M60 a 357-mile range – only slightly down on the lesser iX and way above the Audi e-Tron S’s problematic 222-mile quoted range.
– The new iX M60 does lack the Audi’s tri-motor setup though, explaining why something akin to the Audi’s rear axle torque vectoring is missing.
– The iX in all forms t hen doubles down on this advantage with an application of carbonfibre reinforced plastics along the roof rails, sills and rear subframe.
– That huge weight figure doesn’t do much to hurt the M60’s acceleration time, mind, hitting 62mph in just 3.9sec, over half a second clear of the Audi – the top speed is limited to 155mph.
– Customer cars are expected to be delivered in the summer, with prices starting at £111,905 in the UK
BMW IX M60 STARTS AT €130,200
– BMW specifies torque of 1,015 Nm in Sport Mode, and 1,100 Nm when Launch Control is activated.
– The fifth generation of BMW electric drives are current-excited synchronous motors. In addition to efficiency, BMW emphasises that these motors have a consistent power delivery
– The high-voltage battery achieves a gross energy content of 111.5 kWh, the same as in the familiar iX xDrive50. The AC charging capacity is 11 kW, with direct current up to 200 kW is possible
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2022/01/05/bmw-ix-m60-starts-at-e130200/
CHRYSLER PREVIEWS ITS ALL-ELECTRIC FUTURE WITH AIRFLOW CONCEPT SUV
– Chrysler, the iconic American brand owned by Stellantis, will only sell electric vehicles by 2028, the company announced at the 2022 Consumer Electronics Show.
– the company revealed its latest concept, the Airflow crossover SUV with a similar profile to the Tesla Model Y and Ford Mustang Mach-E. The vehicle unveiled at CES is meant to be just a concept, but it looks very close to production-ready. Chrysler says its first EV will start production in 2025.
– Stellantis, the multi-national conglomeration that formed last year when Fiat Chrysler merged with the French PSA Group, intends for Chrysler to serve as the tip of the spear for its electrification strategy.
– The concept Airflow comes with all-wheel drive thanks to two 150kW motors, one in each axle. However, the drivetrain can be adjusted to accommodate more powerful motors in the future, Chrysler says. The company didn’t provide details on the battery’s size or energy capacity, but it did estimate a range of 350-400 miles per charge.
– Inside, the vehicle is chock-a-block with screens: four in the front and two for rear passengers. The large central infotainment screen is flanked by smaller screens for the driver and passenger. The instrument cluster screen is set back a ways from the steering wheel, closer to the windshield than the dashboard, making it seem almost like a heads-up display. An additional screen sits below the main infotainment screen for HVAC controls and seating adjustments, among other features. And there are two screens on the seatbacks for rear passengers.
SONY SHOWS OFF SUV, WILL EXPLORE BUILDING ELECTRIC CARS AS ‘SONY MOBILITY INC’
– At CES in Las Vegas this evening, Sony’s Chairman, President and CEO Kenichiro Yoshida showed off a brand new prototype of its Vision S concept electric car, and announced that the Sony Group is starting a new division — the Sony Mobility Inc – which will start commercializing its electric vehicles.
– On the CES stage during the Sony press conference, the company showed off its existing Sony Vision-S sedan, which was revealed at CES last year. This year, it also flexed a new model in the lineup, the Sony Vision-S SUV prototype.
– Sony announced that it was establishing a new company (Sony Mobility Inc.) to accelerate the efforts of “exploring the commercial launch of Sony’s EV” — hinting that a Sony car may be coming to a lot near you in the none-too-distant future.
Original Source : https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/04/sony-mobility/
TESLA RIVAL LUCID PLANS TO LAUNCH IN EUROPE THIS YEAR
– Lucid plans to start selling its cars in Europe this year. – The California-headquartered firm, which competes with Tesla, announced the expansion on Tuesday after a Twitter user asked if an image of some new Lucid owners were based in the U.K.
– In January 2020, Lucid started taking online reservations in 15 European countries for its flagship Lucid Air sedan but the firm has not specified when the vehicles will be delivered.
– Locations included Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
TESLA MODEL S GOES 752 MILES WITH A STARTUP’S PROTOTYPE BATTERY
– Imagine an electric car that covers 752 miles on a single charge. You can’t buy it today, but a modified Tesla Model S drove that distance across Michigan last month. It was the work of a two-year-old Michigan startup, Our Next Energy (ONE), which says it is aiming to make safer and more sustainable batteries. ONE retrofitted the car with a battery holding twice the energy of Tesla’s original—while fitting entirely within the same space. It’s a proof of concept for the company’s own future battery design.
– ONE’s project didn’t mess with anything to alter the Model S’s efficiency, but employed a much higher-capacity battery. “We want to accelerate the adoption of EVs by eliminating range anxiety, which holds back consumers today,” said ONE founder and CEO Mujeeb Ijaz. He’s a battery engineer with more than 30 years’ experience, including stints at Apple, A123 Systems, Ford, and others.
– The original Tesla battery had a capacity of 103.9 kilowatt-hours, while the prototype ONE battery that replaced it in the same space has 207.3 kWh.
– ONE’s drive took place in mid-December in Michigan—with chilly winter temperatures working against range maximization—where the company drove up and down the length of the mitten state for nearly 14 hours, averaging 55 mph, before winding up back at its Novi headquarters in southeastern Michigan with the trip odometer showing 752.2 miles.
– The capacity of more than 200 kilowatt-hours was provided by high-energy cobalt-nickel cells
TESLA MODEL S PLAID TOP SPEED RAISED TO 175 MPH WITH TRACK MODE UPDATE
– Tesla released software update 2021.44.30 right as the new year dawned around the globe. Along with the update came Track Mode, as well as what seems like a new, even more impressive top speed for the Model S Plaid.
– According to Model S Plaid owner from Carmine’s Import Service, Tesla’s top-tier full-sized sedan has a top speed of 175 mph, up from 163 mph before the 2021.44.30 update. In a video shared on YouTube, the Model S Plaid owner reached 175 mph with stock brakes and stock brake fluid with Track Mode engaged.
– In November 2021, Tesla announced the release of its Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit for the Model S Plaid. The brake kit may make a difference to the Plaid’s top speed in the future. It will be available for purchase sometime in mid-2022.
A NEW TESLA MODEL X WON’T BE AVAILABLE UNTIL LATE 2022
– If you want a shiny new Tesla Model X, you’re going to have to wait a while. A quick perusal of the Tesla website recently revealed that the Model X won’t be available until October of this year at the absolute earliest. But that’s for the top-spec Plaid model. If you want the standard Model X, you’re going to have to wait until 2023.
– The post-refresh Model X comes in two trims. The first is just called the Model X and offers up to 348 miles of range on a single charge according to the EPA, but you’ll want to be sure to spec the smaller, 20-inch wheels if you want that kind of range. That car starts at $109,490, while the top-spec Plaid model starts at $124,490. Going Plaid gets you three electric motors, 1,020 peak horsepower and a 0-60 time of a claimed 2.5 seconds (with 1-foot rollout subtracted). Plaid models can get up to 333 miles of range on a single charge, according to the EPA.
GAC AION LX PLUS LAUNCHED WITH 144KWH BATTERY
– GAC Aion LX Plus was officially launched today. A total of 4 models have been launched with a guide price of CNY 286,600 ($45,030) to CNY 459,600 ($72,200) after subsidy.
– According to the official introduction, the top model is equipped with a “sponge silicon negative electrode” battery pack with a capacity of 144.4kWh and an energy density of 205Wh/kg, and the cruising range has reached 1008km. However, the top version has no lidar.
– Unlike conventional ternary lithium and lithium iron phosphate batteries, the “silicon negative electrode” battery cell using sponge silicon negative battery technology is smaller and lighter.
GM DELIVERED ONLY 26 EVS IN Q4 2021, INCLUDING JUST 1 ELECTRIC HUMMER
– The fourth quarter of 2021 was very challenging for General Motors, which noted 440,745 vehicle deliveries in the U.S. (down 42.9% year-over-year).
– Our attention is focused on GM’s electric vehicle sales and, as it turns out, the fourth-quarter results are the weakest since the introduction of the Chevrolet Volt in December 2010 when the company handed over 326 cars.
– In Q4 2021, GM delivered in the U.S. only 26 all-electric vehicles (down almost 100% year-over-year). The number includes 25 Chevrolet Bolt EV/Bolt EUV and 1 GMC Hummer EV Pickup (the first one delivered in December).
– The main focus for GM is on the vehicles based on the all-new Ultium platform, including the GMC Hummer EV Pickup/GMC Hummer EV SUV, the Cadillac Lyriq and the Chevrolet Silverado EV/GMC Sierra EV as well as the Brightdrop commercial vehicles.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/558804/gm-delivered-26-evs-2021q4/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
This question was suggested by Joshua Pritt: “If you live in an apartment or condo or otherwise can’t charge at home, how do you charge? Is it a terrible inconvenience or do you have a simple routine to charge during your shopping trips?”
Email me your answer now: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL