If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 3rd January. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
First an admission, Mike Wise is an Executive Producer but I didn’t add his name to the show notes when he signed up. So consider it done! Thank you MIKE WISE
TESLA TSLA Q4 2021 VEHICLE DELIVERY AND PRODUCTION NUMBERS
– Tesla just published its fourth-quarter vehicle production and deliveries report for 2021, and it handily beat analysts’ expectations.
– Tesla deliveries amounted to 308,600 electric cars in the fourth quarter and full-year deliveries amounted to 936,172 vehicles.
– The automaker produced 305,840 fully electric vehicles total during the same period.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/1RqI0hmRvZ/
- Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/02/tesla-tsla-q4-2021-vehicle-delivery-and-production-numbers.html?utm_source=pocket_mylist
– While that isn’t the magic 1 million figure the company might have hoped for, it’s close — and nearly double the 499,550 Tesla handed to customers in 2020.
– The year gone by wasn’t stellar for the Model S and Model X. Deliveries of those higher-end vehicles dropped by more than half in 2021, from 57,039 cars to 24,964. That wasn’t a complete shock, though, as many customers wanted to (or had to) wait for S and X revamps that weren’t slated to ship until spring, including the high-performance Plaid variants.
– Tesla increased sales despite a global shortage of computer chips, which serve as the brains for a variety of electronics, including engine controllers and touch screens. The shortage forced most automakers to idle some plants for weeks at a time and kept them from producing as many vehicles as they had planned.
– In July, Tesla’s chief executive, Elon Musk, said his company was overcoming the shortage by switching to types of chips that were more readily available and writing new instructions, or firmware, to be embedded into the chip. Tesla can make such a switch because the components in its cars are designed to be controlled largely by software.
– Much of its recent growth has been propelled by sales in Europe and China.
Original Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/02/business/tesla-sales.html
– But more importantly, these results give Tesla an annualized production rate of over 1.2 million vehicles, which is unprecedented for producing electric vehicles.
– The other story is in the mix of cars. Model S/X accounted for only about 2.5% of Tesla’s sales for the year. Obviously the switch to the new models had some downtime, but the mix is overwhelmingly the smaller cars. That means that Tesla is almost entirely selling the Model 3/Y which are both based on a singular vehicle platform.
FORD JACKS UP PRODUCTION OF ELECTRIC F-150, CITES BIG DEMAND
– Ford says it will nearly double the annual production of its electric F-150 Lightning pickup truck based on a high number of advance reservations. The company said Tuesday that it will be able to build at a rate of 150,000 pickups per year at its electric vehicle factory in Dearborn, Michigan, by the middle of next year. Previously Ford had expected to build 80,000 per year at the new factory, which likely will have to be expanded to handle the increased output.
– Currently, production capacity stands at 75,000 F-150 Lightning models per year at Ford’s Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Dearborn, Michigan. A Ford representative confirmed to Newsweek that the company will be slowly ramping up production to that 75,000 mark.
– For the 2023 model year, Ford is targeting approximately 80,000 units per year capacity.As the 2024 model year nears, in mid-2023, Ford expects to hit the announced 150,000 per year F-150 Lightning production level.
– Ford will begin accepting the first wave of reservation converts on Thursday. Additional reservation holders will be invited to place their orders in phases over the next few months.
– Initial reservation conversions will be for 2022 model year vehicles. Once that run is out, Ford will open order banks for model year 2023 trucks.
MERCEDES-BENZ’S VISION FOR THE FUTURE IS AN ULTRA-EFFICIENT, LUXURY EV WITH 620-MILE RANGE | TechCrunch
– Mercedes-Benz revealed Monday the Vision EQXX, a concept vehicle that is meant to showcase what the automaker’s electric future will look like. The upshot? An eye-popping design coupled with advanced engineering that squeezes in power, efficiency and range into a compact and sporty package.
– Instead, the company used the EQXX as a proving ground of how far it can push design and engineering. The company focused on improving the energy density of its battery and boosting overall efficiency by reducing the weight of the vehicle using some lightweight materials including for the battery case and brake discs, an aerodynamic design that produces a drag coefficient of Cd 0.175, ultra low-rolling resistance tires and a new compact electric drivetrain.
– The end result is a vehicle that Mercedes says can travel 620 miles on a single charge and boasts 95% efficiency, which means 95% of the energy from the battery ends up at the wheels.
– Instead of just increasing the size of the battery, Mercedes-Benz and its HPP team developed a new battery pack with an energy density of close to 400 Wh/L.
– The company was able to increase energy density in part from what Mercedes described as “significant progress” in the chemistry of the anodes, which has higher silicon content and advanced composition that allowed it to hold considerably more energy than commonly used anodes.
– With claims of an astounding 621 real-world miles (or more) from a battery pack of less than 100 kwh—amounting to more than 6 miles per kwh on efficiency terms.
– And yet the battery pack of the EQXX—one of many elements that executives hinted are likely production-bound—takes an approach that isn’t used by F1, Formula E, or any of Mercedes’ other modern EVs: passive cooling, otherwise known as air cooling.
– it’s accomplished with intelligent cell management throughout the pack, combined with an integrated cooling plate at the bottom, as well as vents that open as the temperature climbs.
Simply put, running pumps and circulating liquids through cooling systems—typically two circuits—costs energy, and efficiency.
– As executives emphasized with the introduction of the EQXX, most, if not all, of the key technology pieces exhibited in this concept are production-bound—most of them for the modular MMA architecture that will underpin mass-production compact-to-midsize EVs later in the decade. So while air cooling might not yet be locked in, there must already be a relatively high confidence level in the decision.
– The interior of the Vision EQXX features a massive 47.5-inch screen that stretches the full width of the vehicle, a nod to the company’s new Hyperscreen infotainment display. But unlike the Hyperscreen, which is an amalgam of three separate screens set inside one solid, 56-inch piece of glass, the Vision EQXX’s screen is a one-piece display that will also feature 8K resolution and cutting edge graphics.
– Like most of its competitors, Mercedes is barreling toward an all-electric future at full speed. The company says it will commit €40 billion ($47 billion) to the electrification of its lineup by 2030, including electric versions of Mercedes-Benz’s G-class wagons and AMG high-performance vehicles.
Exclusive: The Mercedes Vision EQXX can’t even hit 90mph, but that’s okay
– We were left a little puzzled as to why Mercedes decided to leave the top speed and acceleration specs off the official (18 page!) press release of its Vision EQXX – but now we know. They’re really not what you’d expect.
– During an exclusive media briefing during CES 2022 which focused on the battery, electric power and UI/UX of the Vision EQXX, TechRadar asked what these specs were.
– Jasmin Eichler, Director Future Technologies at Daimler AG responded quickly, revealing a 0-100km/h (0-62mph) acceleration time of 7 seconds and a surprisingly sluggish 140km/h (around 87mph) top speed.
– They took the battery from the Mercedes EQS, which offers an already-impressive 453 miles WLTP (729km) of range, and shrunk its size by 50% and decreased its weight by 30%.
CHINA: VOLKSWAGEN SOLD NEARLY 14,000 ID. CARS IN DECEMBER 2021
– Volkswagen scored a fourth consecutive month of over 10,000 ID. all-electric car sales in China
– The total result for the year is 70,625 (via CnEVPost), which means that after a significant acceleration in the second half of the year, Volkswagen has narrowed the gap to the target of 80,000-100,000 to about 10,000.
– The two joint ventures are hoping to gradually increase the volume to 300,000 per year each and the third plant for MEB-based EVs (350,000/year) is under construction by Volkswagen Anhui joint venture, between Volkswagen (75% share) and JAC.
CHEVY BOLT EV, BOLT EUV OWNERS TO GET CERTIFIED WINDOW CLING
– Chevy Bolt EV and Chevy Bolt EUV owners whose vehicles have received replacement battery modules or software updates following last year’s Bolt EV and EUV recall will be given a Chevrolet Certified Battery Update window cling to prove that their vehicle has received an update.
– the new window clings will be sent to owners later this mont, and will include a QR code that will allow parking lot attendees and garage owners to confirm which Chevy Bolt EV and Chevy Bolt EUV units have received the recommended updates.
EV SALES AT WARREN BUFFETT-BACKED BYD TRIPLED IN DECEMBER
– China electric vehicle leader BYD today added its name to a list of makers in the country to report a big increase in business in December and cap a year of rapid growth.
– For all of 2021, it sold 603,782 new energy vehicles, compared with new 189,689 in 2020, an increase of 218% from a year earlier, the company said in an announcement.
GAF ENERGY TAKING ON TESLA, TO MAKE SOLAR SHINGLES CHEAPER
– When Elon Musk unveiled the Tesla Solar Roof in 2016, it was the first that many people had heard of solar shingles. But the idea of a roofing product that can both generate energy and blend in with regular asphalt shingles has been around for decades.
– Now GAF Energy, the sister company to one of the largest roofing companies in the world and a division of privately held Standard Industries, is launching a new solar shingle effort. It just released a product called Timberline Solar, which the company says will be cheaper and more reliable than Tesla’s Solar Roof. It just won the Best of Innovation Award for Smart Cities at CES.
– Timberline Solar can be nailed to the roof just like a regular shingle, which GAF Energy says will reduce the complexity and cost of installation. At 17 inches tall and 64 inches long, the shingles are also larger than Tesla’s, meaning there are fewer parts to manufacture and fewer individual wiring connections
– GAF Energy also touts the fact that it assembles and partially manufactures its shingles at its facility in San Jose, California. While the company imports its PV cells from Thailand, it believes that having some domestic manufacturing is advantageous.
– Getting a $30,000 solar roof would be far cheaper than anything on the market today, and could cost less than getting a new roof plus regular solar panels.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
This question was suggested by Joshua Pritt: “If you live in an apartment or condo or otherwise can’t charge at home, how do you charge? Is it a terrible inconvenience or do you have a simple routine to charge during your shopping trips?”
Email me your answer now: firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL