If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 31st December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
CHEVROLET SILVERADO EV RESERVATION WILL BEGIN ONE HOUR AFTER DEBUT
– The Chevrolet Silverado EV, powered by GM’s new Ultium battery technology, and was planned to make its debut at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) on January 5th, 2022, at 12 PM Eastern Time. However, GM has switched the debut to take place entirely online, with zero changes to the date and time. Meanwhile, reservations for the all-electric Silverado will open just one hour later at 1 PM Eastern Time.
– The reasoning behind GMs switching from unveiling the Chevrolet Silverado EV at CES to making it an entirely online presentation is due to the COVID-19 Omicron variant, which has contributed to record case numbers worldwide. The new Chevrolet Silverado EV is expected to be “game-changing” and will be related to the off-road focused GMC Hummer EV.
– Since the GMC Hummer EV isn’t a competitor with Ford’s battery-electric F-150 Lightning, the Silverado EV will have the honor of challenging Ford’s current success within the market.
OLA CLAIMS ALL ELECTRIC SCOOTER ORDERS DISPATCHED, CUSTOMERS RESPOND ‘NOPE’
– Ola’s CEO Bhavish Aggarwal took to Twitter this morning to announce that the company has now dispatched all of the electric scooters that have been reserved. But many customers disagreed, quickly calling out the CEO.
– Aggarwal explained that the scooters were in the process of being delivered, which includes going through the registration process.
– That process is apparently taking longer than the company originally anticipated, with Aggarwal continuing, “Some in transit, most already at delivery centres near you getting through RTO registration process. The registration process took longer than we anticipated as a fully digital process is new for all.”
– As an electric scooter startup, Ola Electric has faced an uphill battle to reach its own ambitious goal of producing 2 million electric scooters per year.
MAZDA SAYS THE MX-30 IS AN IDEAL SECOND CAR
– Mazda’s first fully-electric vehicle, the MX-30 crossover, has a range of 100 miles. For now Mazda’s only importing 560 for sale in California, a state that happens to be quite large. However, California also mandates that manufacturers sell cars without internal-combustion engines as part of their fleets, leading to the suspicion that the MX-30 is merely a compliance car and the company never expected to sell many examples.
– Speaking to Automotive News Canada, Mazda national manager Mark Peyman described the kind of customer the company is envisioning would make for the ideal MX-30. That is, someone who already owns another car.
– “We come to market with a vehicle like the MX-30 that has a smaller battery, a smaller footprint environmentally and still meets the range needs of 80 per cent-plus of the consumers that will probably use this,” Peyman said. “We’ve found through research that many of these individuals have additional cars in their households that are for longer range.”
– Peyman strikes a better answer deeper into Auto News’ story, saying that those customers that like the MX-30 but are particularly worried about range should wait for the “Powered by ROTARY” plug-in hybrid version:
– “Step one is to focus on these urban environments and people that do want a more environmentally conscious choice with the full battery electric,” Peyman said. “Step two, this [plug-in hybrid model] could conceivably be somebody’s only vehicle, so it’s just a step further out.”
CHARGING TESLA MODEL S VIA CCS AT ELECTRIFY AMERICA IS FAST, CHEAP
– Tesla cars in North America are equipped with the company’s proprietary charging port – not compatible with the CCS Combo 1 plugs (the adapter is coming). Imagine our surprise the when we saw a report about an owner who is successfully using Electrify America chargers with CCS1 plugs.
– In a Reddit topic titled “I drove a Plaid 2000 miles using mostly Electrify America stations…,” Ryan Huber describes details of how his Tesla Model S Plaid was charging using CCS1 chargers.
– According to the highlights, the charging power exceeds 200 kW (between 8% and about 45% SOC) and might be considered as “Supercharging 2.5” (the V2 Superchargers allow 150 kW, while V3 as much as 250 kW). The peak was 217 kW (499 A at 435 V).
– “The charge curve is great. I’d call this “Supercharger 2.5″ if you want to get a feel for the speed. At 500 amps, you can get a lot of juice into the car, relatively quickly. The car charges at more than 200kW from 8% to about 45%. It peaks at 39% SoC which is approx 499A at 435V, which is about 217kW. At that point the car begins ramping down the amperage at the same rate as a V3 supercharger.”
– “I’m rather convinced the bad experiences people have with EA have more to do with car manufacturer CCS implementations than the stations themselves. I had exactly one failure and it was a bad pedestal that I didn’t notice was marked as unavailable in the app.”
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/557776/tesla-2000miles-using-ea-chargers/
TESLA RECALLS ALMOST HALF A MILLION ELECTRIC CARS OVER SAFETY ISSUES
– Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) is recalling more than 475,000 of its Model 3 and Model S electric cars to address rearview camera and trunk issues that increase the risk of crashing, the U.S. road safety regulator said on Thursday.
– The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has been discussing another camera issue with the automaker, while probing the company’s driver assistant system.
– Around 200,000 Tesla vehicles will be recalled in China, the country’s market regulator said on Friday.
– The U.S. electric vehicle manufacturer is recalling 356,309 2017-2020 Model 3 vehicles to address rearview camera issues and 119,009 Model S vehicles due to front hood problems, the federal regulator said.
– The recall applies to 2014-2021 Model S vehicles, according to an email sent to Teslarati by a reader this morning. “On these vehicles, the latch assembly may be positioned too far back, preventing the secondary latch from properly engaging the trunk striker. If the trunk is inadvertently released while driving and the secondary latch is not engaged, the frunk may be open without warning and obstruct the driver’s visibility. If the frunk is inadvertently released, the driver will receive an alert on the user interface. We are not aware of any crashes or injuries related to this condition.”
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-frunk-latch-recall/
TESLA MODEL 3 RECALL OVER REAR CAMERA CONNECTION
– The coaxial cable is attached to a harness on the trunk lid and can become worn after repeated opening and closing of the trunk. If the core of coaxial cable separates due to excessive wear, the rearview camera feed will not be visible on the center display, affecting the driver’s view and increasing the risk of collision, the NHTSA said.
– Tesla will inspect the trunk harnesses in affected vehicles and equip the harness with a guide to protect it from further wear if necessary. Owners who paid to replace or fix the trunk harness for the same issue prior to the recall may be eligible for reimbursement from Tesla.
STRANGE TESLA MODEL Y BODY SUGGESTS NEW EV BREAKTHROUGH
– But the latest video from December 27 shows us something a little strange in the form of a Tesla Model Y body in white. Typically, a body has to have a floor and structural bracing, and then, in the case of an EV, the battery is mounted to that. Elon Musk has long stated that he wants to move Tesla to a system with integrated structural batteries, and it looks like this could be the first step towards that. With no visible floor, it suggests that a structural battery would form the entire floor of the Model Y, removing the need for extra structural bracing, reducing weight, and simplifying the production process.
TESLA MODEL Y PERFORMANCE CARS SPOTTED LEAVING GIGAFACTORY BERLIN ON A TRAILER
– Recently, trailers carrying several Tesla Model Y cars in Performance trim were spotted leaving the Gigafactory in Grünheide, near Berlin. This usually precedes the starting of volume production.
– Most probably, the cars were heading to a testing facility nearby where they’ll be crashed or otherwise tested.
– The cars on the trailer might seem like a trivial image, but they send a powerful message about the expected production starting in Grünheide. A similar sighting happened in China before Giga Shanghai went online. At the time, there were Model 3 Performance cars that were being shipped on the trailer. Usually, these early vehicles are used to calibrate the machines on the production line and later for emissions assessments and range rating research.
TESLA RAISES PRICES OF MODEL 3 AND MODEL Y AGAIN IN MAINLAND CHINA
– Tesla has raised the price of its Shanghai-made Model 3 and Model Y vehicles for the second time in just over a month amid soaring demand for its electric cars.
– The announcement came shortly before China’s market regulator said Tesla will recall nearly 200,000 vehicles delivered to mainland customers between 2015 and 2020.
– The California-based carmaker announced on Friday that its entry-level Model 3 assembled at the Gigafactory 3 in the Lingang free-trade zone would be priced at 265,652 yuan (US$41,678) after subsidy, up 10,000 yuan, or 3.9 per cent.
– The basic edition of the Model Y sport-utility vehicle (SUV) jumped 21,088 yuan, or 7.5 per cent, to 301,840 yuan.
– The SUV no longer qualifies for government subsidy because Beijing only provides this for new-energy vehicles (NEVs) priced below 300,000 yuan.
IN COLORADO, ELECTRIC CARS ARE MOSTLY FOR RICH PEOPLE. COULD FEDERAL AND STATE POLICY CHANGE THAT?
– Consumer surveys have found the high cost of new electric cars and charging access are the biggest roadblocks for most potential consumers.
– These are smaller barriers for wealthier people, who have driven early electric car sales. In California, the largest and best-researched market for plug-in vehicles, a 2019 study found electric vehicle buyers have an annual median household income of $190,000. Seventy-five percent are male. 81 percent own their own home, which often makes it easier to charge an electric vehicle overnight.
– State-level tax data reveal similar disparities in Colorado. From 2017 to 2020, more than 12,000 households received a state tax credit to purchase a plug-in electric vehicle. More than 80 percent of those households reported an annual income of more than $100,000 a year.
– One example is Xcel Energy’s $110 million electric transportation plan, which state utility regulators approved earlier this year. The company now offers $5,500 in upfront rebates for new electric vehicles and $3,000 for used models, so long as the price tag isn’t more than $50,000. To access the rebate, Xcel customers must make 60 percent of the state’s median income or meet other income qualifications.
– The Xcel Energy rebates come as the value of Colorado’s electric vehicle tax incentive has shrunk. The original $5,000 tax credit was one of the county’s most generous when it went into effect in 2017. Two years later, the state legislature extended it through 2025 with a plan to step down the rebates. It’s worth now $2,500 through the end of 2022 and $2,000 from 2023 through 2025.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns in 2022. Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL