If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 29th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA’S V11 UI CHANGES ARE RECEIVING STRONG CRITICAL FEEDBACK FROM DRIVERS
– Reveral Tesla owners have shared strong criticisms of Software V11’s user interface, particularly with how it made accessing some important functions more difficult compared to V10.
– A good number of these complaints could be seen in the r/TeslaMotors subreddit, a community of over 1.48 million users. Over the past few days alone, numerous Tesla owners have gone on the subreddit to share their displeasure at the UI changes that came with V11 — to much agreement among the online group’s users
– Tesla owners are not happy about the fact that some functionalities such as driver profiles, seat warmers, trip information, save dashcam, and tire pressure (to name a few) now require more taps to access than before. Some Tesla owners have gone as far as to state that since some features now require an extra step to access, their vehicle could end up being less safe.
– Tesla owners noting that the icons in the new update do not have the same uniform, polished look as those that were used in V10. Others noted that the position of information such as the vehicle’s speed had regressed as well, as the driver’s hand could end up covering the speedometer
– The fact that there are icons for Tesla Arcade, Toybox, and Theater — which are inaccessible when the car is on Drive anyway — and none for tire pressure, trip information, seat heaters, and lights, was deemed strange as well.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-v11-ui-critical-user-feedback-reviews/
BMW INTERVIEW “MAKING CHARGING EVEN EASIER AND MORE CONVENIENT”
– Pieter Nota (responsible for Customer, Brands and Sales)
– Right now, charging infrastructure is failing to keep pace with sales of electrified vehicles. That is why we urgently need rapid infrastructure expansion – especially in urban, densely populated areas and over longer distances. This is also up to policymakers: Economical operation must be ensured – and, if possible, promoted – especially while infrastructure is still in the expansion phase.
– Who’s going to build a second charging post if the first one can’t cover its costs? But, in the long run, the market has to be able to regulate itself in the interests of the customer. What we need for this are clear objectives and incentive systems. The same applies to fleet operators, to support their transition to electromobility.
– We have set ourselves ambitious goals for electromobility next year: We aim to more than double sales of our pure electric vehicles compared to this year. In 2022, we will be focusing on two more approaches that will make charging even more attractive. First, we will be integrating charging even more deeply into our myBMW and myMINI app.
– This means our customers will be able to find everything related to their vehicle in a single app – including access to public charging points. Second, we will continue to promote charging networks – which will make the charging process simpler.
ROLLS-ROYCE SPECTRE EV SPIED UP CLOSE IN BEST SPY SHOTS YET
– Rolls-Royce promised it would be developing the Spectre electric car “in plain sight,” and here’s some decent proof of that in spy shot form. Outside of the initial teaser photos released by Rolls-Royce earlier this year, we haven’t seen any other details of the electric Rolls. That’s changed today, as one of our spy shooters captured a test Spectre both on the pavement and on a flatbed.
– The most intriguing angle of view is directly from the front. We can just make out that this Rolls appears to be wearing a version of the upcoming stacked headlight look previously spied on soon-to-come BMW models like the next-gen 7 Series and refreshed X7.
– One of the last intriguing items of note is the angle of the rear tire when the driver has the steering wheel at full lock. It’s not an extreme angle of rear-wheel steer, but the rear wheel does appear to be turned in the opposite direction as the fronts. This car being a coupe, it’s reasonable that it wouldn’t need a massive amount of rear-wheel steering to be agile in a city, but it’s still a Rolls-Royce, so coupe or not, it’s massive.
– Rolls-Royce says the production car is coming in 2023
- Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/27/rolls-royce-spectre-spy-shots/
CHINA SETS PLAN FOR L3 AND HIGHER-LEVEL ADVANCED AUTONOMOUS DRIVING APPLICATION
– China’s Central Cyberspace Affairs Commission released the informatization plan for the 14th Five-Year Plan (2021-2025) (the Plan), including plans for V2X and autonomous driving development within the country.
– an energy network is also included in the Plan. Specifically, the government aims to build an optimized and balanced energy management system, allowing real-time monitoring, online analysis, and dispatch for regional energy information. The government will push forward the mutual interaction between electric vehicles and intelligent grid, forming an intelligent and efficient charging infrastructure system with ample charging piles.
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/icv/70019430.html
HERE’S A FIRST LOOK AT THE TESLA MODEL X PLAID
– The Tesla Model S and the Model X share the same platform. It makes sense then that both would end up getting premium-level Plaid tri-motor speedy goodness.
– the first Model X Plaid SUVs have made their way into the hands of the public.
– Of course, the new car has a landscape infotainment system which is a big upgrade over the old portrait-style version. It’s also got the rear-seat screen that controls media and climate controls.
– It’s important to note that while not discussed in the video, there are clearly some hilariously mismatched panels. Most notably, the Falcon-wing doors look like they settle too low on each side. This causes them to not line up with the front doors or the rear quarter panels.
– We know that the Model S Plaid has had some major braking problems. It seems to go without saying that the much heavier Model X is likely to have similar if not worse issues reigning in its 1,020-horsepower.
RIVIAN WARNS OF DELAYS FOR EVS WITH BIGGEST BATTERY AND SMALLEST PRICE
– Rivian is pushing back its most expensive, furthest-driving configurations of its electric pickup truck and SUV, warning R1S and R1T reservation-holders that they could face another year’s wait if they stick with their original choice. Deliveries of the two EVs are now underway, albeit in small numbers, but Rivian has more than 70,000 preorders to work through.
– As of December 15, the CEO wrote, “we had approximately 71,000 preorders for the R1T and R1S in the US and Canada.” Of that, “the large majority” opted for the Adventure Package trim, with Rivian’s Large pack battery.
– Rivian also has a Max pack battery, which costs $10,000 more but promises 400+ miles of range. However that configuration – though available for reservation-holders to select – wasn’t expected to go into production until later in 2022. Now, Scaringe says, that timeline has been pushed back further.
– Of the roughly 71,000 preorders, only around 20% are for the Max pack battery.
– Rivian will be reaching out to those customers – who, the CEO acknowledges, could have put down reservations as far back as 2018 – in January, with the offer of changing their preorder
SEMICONDUCTOR SUPPLY AND DEMAND CRISIS INTENSIFIES
– The release date of customers highly favored electric vehicles has been delayed by more than a year due to the imbalance in supply and demand from the shortage of vehicle semiconductors. Even if consumers sign a new contract on the remaining days of this year, they won’t be able to acquire the car in 2022, but in 2023. There are cases where the price of a used car overtakes the price of a new car or even gives up subsidies to purchase as shortage of the supply becomes more prevale
– Front-line branches are waiting 13 months for Kia EV6, 12 months for Genesis GV60, and 8 months for Ioniq5 from contract to shipment are required. The actual delivery date may change again depending on the status of subsidies by local governments. An official from the Kia branches said, “The EV6, which uses a lot of semiconductors, has been delayed for more than a year, so it is difficult to confirm when it will be shipped if you sign a contract now. We only received an official letter from the head office telling us to announce change in delivery schedule from time to time to avoid customer complaints.”
– As the delay in shipments becomes a serious issue, the price of a used car are even exceeding that of a new car. The longer the delivery period lasts, the higher the used car price becomes.
Original Source : https://english.etnews.com/20211228200001
HYUNDAI HOME WILL BUNDLE EV CHARGER, SOLAR, HOME BATTERY
– Hyundai has revealed the first details of its upcoming concierge service, Hyundai Home, which will help EV buyers get a home charger, solar panels, and even home battery system installed and rolled into one convenient payment.
– Launching in early 2022, Hyundai Home will be a one-stop shop for charging your new Hyundai Ioniq 5 EV and future Ioniq vehicles at home.
– It can be as simple as getting a wall-mounted Level 2 charger installed at your house, or involved as an entire package including rooftop solar panels and a storage battery that can be used at night or during blackouts.
– Each buyer will get an assigned concierge who works with them through the entire process, no matter how simple or complex. Use Hyundai Home’s financial service and you can bundle your car payment with the cost of the charger, solar panels, and home battery so you make one payment every month.
$7M IN GRANTS TO INSTALL ELECTRIC CHARGING STATIONS IN BAY AREA
– The Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) is offering $7 million in grants to help offset a portion of the cost of purchasing and installing new publicly available electric vehicle charging stations throughout the Bay Area, including at workplaces, destinations, transit parking locations, along transportation corridors and at multi-unit dwelling facilities.
– Projects installing electric vehicle charging at multi-unit dwellings, specifically affordable and below market rate housing sites, as well as projects located in environmental justice communities, will be prioritized for funding, officials said.
TESCO TO DEPLOY FULLY ELECTRIC HEAVY GOODS TRUCKS IN ‘UK FIRST’
– Supermarket chain to begin using electric articulated HGVs to transport food and other goods to Wales distribution centre
– The supermarket chain plans to deploy two new 37 tonne DAF electric vehicles to ferry products from the Wentloog rail terminal outside Cardiff to its distribution centre in Magor, as part of a partnership with logistics and international freight forwarding company FSEW, it announced today.
– FSEW has installed charging points at its site in South Wales, which are designed to provide enough electricity to power the new HGVs for roughly 100 mile journeys at a time.
– The journey between Wentloog and Magor stretches to around 30 miles each way, making it the ideal location to begin using the electric trucks, with a view to potentially using them more widely throughout Tesco’s UK supply chain, the retailer said.
– Transport remains the UK’s single largest source of greenhouse gas emissions, with road traffic making up the lion’s share, and HGVs alone accounting for around 16 per cent.
MET GROUP TO INSTALL 4-MW TESLA MEGAPACK BATTERY IN HUNGARY
– Switzerland-based energy company MET Group will install a 4-MW/8-MWh Tesla Megapack battery at the Dunamenti power plant in Szazhalombatta, Hungary.
– The company announced this recently, saying it will be the first to deploy a Megapack battery in the country. The project will be implemented next summer and is expected to pave the way for more efficient system integration of renewable energy producers.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns in 2022. Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL