If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 28th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
HYUNDAI MOTOR GROUP SHUTS DOWN ENGINE DEVELOPMENT CENTER
– Hyundai Motor Group has abruptly abolished the Engine Development Center at its R&D Headquarters. It has officially declared its policy not to release new models powered by internal combustion engines anymore.
– The group carried out the largest-ever reorganization of its R&D headquarters on Dec. 17. The Namyang Research Institute has 12,000 R&D personnel and is a key organization that serves as the brain of Hyundai Motor Group.
– The Engine Development Center was completely shut down and all powertrain-related centers were converted to electrification-related units. At the same time, the automaker decided to focus on securing battery technology by establishing the Battery Development Center.
– Hyundai Motor has also torn down walls among R&D departments to shorten its electric vehicle development schedule as much as possible.
Original Source : https://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=84657
TESLA 2021 HOLIDAY UPDATE ROLLS OUT TO LEGACY MODEL S AND MODEL X
– When Tesla recently conducted the initial rollout of its 2021 Holiday Update, electric vehicle owners were quick to point out that pre-refresh Model S and Model X vehicles were seemingly left out. This was quite unfortunate since Software Version 11.0 could be considered as one of the most extensive holiday releases that Tesla has released to date.
– it appears that Tesla has now started to roll out V11 to some of its pre-refresh Model S and Model X. Images of the new software running the updated system were shared online. As mentioned by Tesla owner @HisandHersTesla on Twitter, even their 2017 Model S 100D received the update, though some features like the blindspot camera feature were not included.
– Pre-refresh Model S and Model X that are equipped with MCU2 infotainment systems are capable of receiving more features from the V11 suite, including Subwoofer Tunability, the capacity to edit Waypoints, and access to TikTok, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sudoku, and the multiplayer option for The Battle for Polytopia.
CATL SIGNS DEAL WITH GUIZHOU PROVINCE TO JOINTLY BUILD BATTERY SWAP NETWORK
– CATL announced today that it has signed a partnership agreement with Guizhou province in southwestern China to build a battery swap network, signaling the power battery giant’s involvement in this new way of energy replenishing for electric vehicles.
– According to the agreement, the two sides will cooperate in depth in the construction of a network of new energy vehicle (NEV) battery swap facilities, promoting the improvement of NEV battery swap capacity and promoting the high-quality development of the new energy industry, CATL said.
– Notably, an image circulating on social media earlier this month showed that CATL has already started to have its own brand of battery swap stations.
– Last August, NIO launched its BaaS (Battery as a Service) battery rental business, and Mirattery, a joint venture between CATL, NIO, Guotai Junan and Hubei Science Technology Investment, is the manager of these battery assets.
EVS NOT FUTURE CAR ANYMORE — REGISTRATION GROW 200%
– Registrations for electric vehicles jumped to 91,575 units, up 202.8 percent from the same period a year prior by November this year, data showed Monday, suggesting the quick expansion of their presence in the market.
– Riding on the sustainability bandwagon, more than 100,000 electric vehicles were sold in South Korea and more than 150,000 domestic electric vehicles were exported as of this month,
– The Trade Ministry expects registrations to surpass 100,000 when December’s numbers are added.
– From January to November this year, 20,956 units of Ioniq5 were sold, followed by 17,818 Tesla cars, 11,168 units of Kona and 9,045 EV6s.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20211227000604
DJI’S AUTOMOTIVE TEAM EXPANDS TO NEARLY 1,000 STAFF
– China’s well-known drone manufacturer, DJI, said that the company’s automotive segment is partnering up with like-minded companies within the industry. The automotive team is expanding rapidly and has accumulated nearly 1,000 members.
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70019424.html
About DJI Automotive
– DJI Automotive is a DJI subsidiary that provides integrated solutions for autonomous driving. It focuses on the research development, production, and sales of autonomous driving systems and related core components. With years of experience in perception, machine learning, localization and mapping, decision making and planning, motion control and embedded system, and mass production of intelligent systems, DJI Automotive will broaden the application scope of technology and introduce solutions with its proprietary innovations within the field of autonomous driving.
Original Source : https://auto.dji.com/about-us?site=auto&from=nav
HERE’S HOW A TESLA MODEL S HOLDS UP AFTER 424,000 MILES
– With Tesla being the most popular EV-only brand in the world right now, it’s only natural to hear about some high-mileage Teslas popping up out there. But what does one actually look like up close and personal? One YouTuber’s got answers for us: Braden Carlson.
– Carlson recently got his hands on a friend’s 2015 Tesla Model S 70D. The black-on-black electric sedan was recently purchased from its original owner who used the car for Uber service since it was brand new. During the past six years, the Tesla racked up a rather astonishing 424,302 miles—that’s around 71,000 miles per year—and it’s still going strong.
– The Tesla previously received a new battery under warranty at around 250,000 miles, meaning that the car now has 180,000 on its current battery pack
– Carlson says that all of the car’s electronics still work too, except for the driver’s side rear window actuator. There’s also an issue with the gauge cluster’s screen where the adhesive has begun to “drizzle” off, which is apparently a not uncommon issue with a DIY fix.
GENESIS GV60 PERFORMANCE ELECTRIC CROSSOVER REVIEW
– YouTube channel Asian Petrolhead delivers yet again. This time, the popular YouTube channel shares the Genesis GV60 press crossover with us. For those unfamiliar, the GV60 is Genesis’ third, and smallest, crossover SUV, as well as its first electric car.
– The GV60 is built on a shared platform used by Hyundai and Kia. It’s the same underpinnings found in the Hyundai Ioniq 5, as well as the Kia EV6, two new electric vehicles that have arrived to exceedingly positive reviews across the globe.
– The new Genesis electric SUV features a 77.4 kWh battery pack and the option between both a single-motor rear-wheel-drive and a dual-motor all-wheel-drive system. According to Genesis, the crossover can scoot from zero to 62 mph (0-100 km/h) in as little as 4 seconds.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/557241/genesis-gv60-electric-suv-review/
CHRYSLER AIRFLOW CONCEPT WILL LEAD BRAND’S EV STRATEGY
– Stellantis will unveil an electric Chrysler Airflow concept at the 2022 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) January 5 to showcase its EV strategy.
– The automaker first teased what a concept that was likely the Airflow as part of a sweeping electrification plan presented in July, including a fully electric Ram 1500 pickup truck and Dodge muscle car due by 2024.
– Stellantis claims a total of four platforms for EVs under development, offering up to 500 miles of range and claiming up to 4.3 kwh/mile efficiency.
– The company has signed a memorandum of understanding with LG Energy Solution for potential battery supply in North America, and is funding solid-state battery developer Factorial.
CHINA WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE FOREIGN CARMAKERS TO FORM JOINT VENTURES
– China will allow full overseas ownership of passenger car manufacturing sites from January 1, 2022.
– The move was announced in a document released by the Chinese Ministry of Commerce and the National Development and Reform Commission. Since 1994, foreign companies involved in the car industry have been required to enter the Chinese market as 50:50 joint venture partners with a local company.
– Joint-venture schemes like these were designed to allow domestic brands to keep more of their profits and technologies in the country. What’s more, the five biggest car manufacturers in China, SAIC, FAW, BAIC, Dongfeng, and Shangan, are all state-owned.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns in 2022. Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL