If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 27th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
UNVEILING OF THE ELECTRIC SILVERADO PICKUP WILL BE ONLINE
– Each year, hundreds of companies, including the world’s top automakers, travel to Las Vegas for the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to show off their latest products. But the pandemic resulted in the cancellation of last year’s in-person events.
– One of the most anticipated events was that automaker General Motors was to reveal its new fully electric Silverado pickup for the first time. But those plans have now been scrapped due to lingering covid concerns.
– GM Chief Executive Mary Barra had been scheduled to give a keynote speech at the annual conference on Jan. 5, where the electric Silverado pickup truck was to be revealed for the first time. The press conference and keynote will now be presented remotely,
– The electric Silverado will go into production late next year at GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant. The fully-electric truck will have a range of more than 400 miles on a full charge, according to GM.
Original Source : https://www.futurecar.com/5088/General-Motors-Cancels-its-In-Person-CES-Events-and-Unveiling-of-the-Electric-Silverado-Pickup-Due-to-Covid-Concerns
VCS SAY 2022 IS THE YEAR THE ELECTRIC CAR GOES MAINSTREAM
– Venture capitalists watching the electric-car business say that 2022 is when the rubber meets the road.
– adoption in the US is lagging, EVs could account for about one-third of light-vehicle sales here by 2030, the industry expert IHS Markit predicted in August.
– Whether automakers have electric-vehicle success next year could dictate the trajectory of EV penetration in the US moving forward. Here are three things that VCs say you can expect next year.
– It’s a golden moment for EVs, said Greg Reichow, partner at Eclipse Ventures in Palo Alto, California.
– Customers and investors are awaiting the first deliveries of the electric Ford F-150 Lightning pickup, which has nearly 200,000 reservations. Deliveries of the GMC Hummer pickup will continue well into the new year. And reports say the Cadillac Lyriq SUV should reach customers in early 2022.
– “Initially, we had large statements about big investments, and there were questions in the market about how serious are people going to take this,” said Gabe Cunningham, principal at Fontinalis Partners in Detroit. “It became apparent that those big investments were backed by executives and that they were truly serious about diving into electric vehicles.”
– Car companies now have to seek out ways to make these far-reaching promises happen. They need to secure the lithium and other rare-earth materials necessary for millions of electric-vehicle batteries.
– Despite the mix of electric products expected from both legacy automakers and startups next year, some of the nascent companies could realize they’ve met their match with their more established competitors — and the reality of an industry with massive overhead costs — said Alexei Andreev, managing director AutoTech Ventures in Menlo Park, California.
– The industry has already seen a reckoning as it relates to EV startups. Companies like Faraday Future, Nikola Motors, and Lordstown have experienced troubles, not unlike Tesla did in its early days.
Original Source : https://www.businessinsider.com/vcs-2022-electric-car-predictions-ford-lightning-rivian-hummer-2021-12
THE ELECTRIC DELIVERY VAN THAT SAVED CHRISTMAS
– Whatever side of the great EV debate you fall on, the benefits of electrified transport to short-haul, multi-drop carriers making 100-plus deliveries per day must be considerable. Zero noise (technically, drivers should turn off their engines when delivering to you, but few do), lower pollution and, from a driver’s point of view, ease of operation, with no clutch pedal or gearshift to contend with 1000 times a day. And that’s before you factor in the cost of diesel at an all-time high.
– Amazon announced it was buying 1800 electric vans from Mercedes-Benz to supplement its European delivery fleet, and in the UK, DPD has just bought 100 new e-vans, taking its electric fleet to 600 vehicles in total.
– We’ve chosen the e-Dispatch from the mid-size van class because of its competitive pricing (starting from £28,250 after the government’s £6000 plug-in grant), a one-tonne payload and a class-topping 205-mile WLTP range.
– we’re unlikely to cover more than 30 miles today making the 80 deliveries we’ve loaded; even with 100-plus drops, that’s unlikely to rise much above 50 miles. And while some drivers will cover up to 70 miles in a day with deliveries further afield, none would be compromised by this van’s range on a full charge.
– The Citroën e-Dispatch starts at £28,250 for the short-wheelbase XS Enterprise model with a smaller, 50kWh battery, which trades 350mm in load length and some standard equipment, compared with our top-flight medium-wheelbase test van with its 75kWh battery, costing £45,701 after the grant.
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/electric-delivery-van-saved-christmas
CHINA SEES THRIVING NEV MARKET IN 2021: REPORT
– The total amount of financing in NEV-related sectors has exceeded 80 billion yuan (about 12.6 billion U.S. dollars) this year, and the number of newly-established NEV-related firms was 2.4 times that in 2020, according to the report released by database query platform Tianyancha.com.
– Battery-changing services are becoming a new growth point in the NEV market, with 39,000 new related companies this year, the report said.
Original Source : http://www.china.org.cn/china/Off_the_Wire/2021-12/25/content_77952384.htm
INSIDE AUSTRALIA’S GROWING PIRATE ELECTRIC CAR MARKET
– Australia’s slow uptake of electric vehicles has led to the spread of a cottage industry in parallel imports, with small businesses springing up to bring in low-cost second-hand cars from Japan.
– Ben Lippa, a self-described rev head, founded his import business J-Spec just over 22 years ago to import highly modified “drift” cars to Australia, but today finds many of his customers are electric cars such as the Nissan Leaf, which is no longer imported to Australia by its maker.
– In Yackandandah in north-east Victoria, Russell Klose, who once imported cars and parts from a business in Albury-Wodonga, has come out of retirement with his son Cam and friend Matt Grogan for the same reason.
– They have formed Kilowatt Cars, and are now waiting on a licence to begin to sell low-priced second-hand electric cars also sourced from Japan.
Original Source : https://www.smh.com.au/business/entrepreneurship/inside-australia-s-growing-pirate-electric-car-market-20211224-p59k0y.html
IS NOW A GOOD TIME TO BUY A USED ELECTRIC CAR?
– EVs are, for the most part, holding their value. It’s hard to find a used model with a pricetag that is dramatically less than its price when new.
– the cheapest EVs we found was a 2012 example of the tiny Mitsubishi i-MiEV city hatchback. The New South Wales-based seller says it gets 67km of range per charge – substantially less than the circa-150km when new – and it is priced at just over $10,000.
– MG ZS EV, Mazda MX-30, Kia Niro, and Hyundai Ioniq 5 are too new to show up in used car listings with decent kilometres and a lowered price just yet. However, some dealer demos with a couple of thousand kilometres on the clock are available for a couple of grand less than the new price. Get haggling!
– as the most affordable Tesla, there’s quite a few used examples of the Model 3 small sedan. They appear to be holding their value with a couple of flagship Performance variants from 2019 and 2020 going for about $92,000, which is only a few thousand dollars less than the new price of circa-$95,000.When new in 2020 the Standard Range Plus retailed for $67,000, and a couple of examples online from 2020 and 2021 are fetching roughly the same amount.
– the price of used EVs will come down when there are more models to choose from and a larger pool of vehicles for sale. But for now, the best value when it comes to used EVs is with non-premium offerings like the Nissan Leaf and Hyundai Ioniq Electric.
Original Source : https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/is-now-a-good-time-to-buy-a-used-electric-car-tesla-model-3-nissan-leaf-hyundai-ioniq-used
IN-CAR PAYMENTS FOR MERCEDES EQS
– As a result of a new global technology partnership between Daimler Mobility and Visa, Daimler will offer “native” in-car payments. This means that entering passwords or relying on mobile devices for payment authentication may soon be a thing of the past as the vehicle itself becomes a biometrically enabled payments device, thanks to Visa’s Delegated Authentication technology.
– Mercedes-Benz customers in the UK and Germany will be able to make payments using a fingerprint sensor in the car, with other European markets to follow. Purchases can then be made directly through the car’s head unit, or MBUX. The solution is anticipated to be available in other markets globally at a later stage.
– Daimler Mobility’s global payment platform called Mercedes pay enables customers to buy goods and services directly in their car, including Mercedes me services, as well as for other use cases such as fuelling and parking.
– Mobility trends like electric vehicles, car sharing, autonomous driving and connected cars are increasing the demand for innovative payment methods within the vehicle itself. Today, when you buy car-related services, many require the motorist to use a separate device to log onto an app or website. Daimler and Visa’s ambition is to enable users to have a hassle-free payments experience through the car, while also expanding the choice and quality of experiences available to them.
Original Source : https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211108005472/en/Daimler-Mobility-and-Visa-Form-Global-Technology-Partnership-to-Integrate-Digital-Commerce-Into-the-Car-Seamlessly-and-Conveniently
LOOKS LIKE NIO MAY EXPAND TO THE US, NEW JOB LISTINGS FOUND
– NIO chose Norway as the first market it wanted to expand to outside of China and it looks like it is now eyeing Germany and the Netherlands where it has posted job openings. Interestingly, NIO job listings were also posted for the US, where the manufacturer seems to be looking for quite a few specialists.
– The automaker used Linkedin to list these jobs and for the US and of the 227 current jobs it offers around the world, 46 of them are in the States. It looks like all but a few are centered around San Jose, California, but there’s also a listing for a Motion Control Expert for Seattle, as well as several work-from-home positions.
– NIO seems to be looking to create a complete local US team of executives, at least for the software development side of things, as well as for self driving, audio system development, financial and others.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/557133/nio-posts-job-openings-us/
WULING HONGGUANG MINIEV TOPS CHINA’S NOV. VEHICLE REGISTRATIONS LIST
– Monthly insurance registrations of China-made passenger vehicles (PV) achieved the second best results in November, only less than the volume of January, while the Wuling Hongguang MINIEV became the most registered vehicle model in China.
– The market registered 241,609 Tesla vehicles in the first eleven months of this year, representing an increase of 110% year on year and ranking 19th on the year-to-date list.
– The Wuling Hongguang MINIEV became the most registered locally-made model in China in November for the first time, outplacing the Sylphy. Apart from the mini car, the Model Y from Tesla was the other electric model among the top 5 registered models in November. The Li ONE ranked the nineteenth, with monthly registrations surging 188% year on year.
– In terms of Jan.-Nov. results, the Wuling Hongguang MINIEV was the third, but its gap with the second model, the Lavida, narrowed
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70019417.html
PLANS IN ENGLAND FOR CAR CHARGERS IN ALL COMMERCIAL CAR PARKS QUIETLY ROLLED BACK
– The government has quietly backtracked on proposals to require every shop, office or factory in England to install at least one electric car charger if they have a large car park, prompting criticism by environmental campaigners.
– The original plan required every new and existing non-residential building with parking for 20 cars or more to install a charger. However, the Department for Transport (DfT) has now revealed it will only require chargers be installed in new or refurbished commercial premises amid fears over the cost for businesses, according to a response to a consultation.
– Greg Archer, the UK director of Transport & Environment, a campaign group, said: “Car parks are an ideal place for drivers of electric cars without driveways to charge. By failing to require commercial buildings with car parks to install a small number of charge points, the government has missed a simple opportunity to level up the charging available for less affluent drivers who park overnight on the road.“It is inexplicable that a government committed to phasing out conventional cars has failed to follow through and implement its own proposals from more than two years ago, and instead say it needs longer to consider the options.”
– The DfT declined to share the identities of those who objected to the policy on cost grounds. The consultation responses showed the most common objection was a lack of ambition for the number of charging points for larger premises.
Original Source : https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/dec/27/plans-in-england-for-car-chargers-in-all-commercial-car-parks-quietly-rolled-back
NEW YORK CITY TO INVEST $420M IN ELECTRIC VEHICLES AND INFRASTRUCTURE
– Mayor of New York City Bill de Blasio announced with the NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) a slate of bold actions to tackle the climate crisis and advance a green future in New York City.
– $420 million in investments to accelerate the timeline to achieve an all-electric municipal vehicle fleet and reduce emissions. These record-breaking investments, the largest in history to electrify a public vehicle fleet, include the purchase of over 1,250 electric vehicles in 2022 and the installation of at least 1,776 fast chargers by 2030. The Mayor has also signed an Executive Order setting the most aggressive fleet electrification targets in the country, including requiring all passenger cars and light trucks in the City vehicle fleet to be electric no later than 2030. It also requires a review of every SUV in city government and to eliminate any unnecessary use of SUVs.
Original Source : https://www.offgridenergyindependence.com/articles/25570/new-york-city-to-invest-420m-in-electric-vehicles-and-infrastructure
US INSTALLING WORKPLACE CHARGERS AT AN IMPRESSIVE PACE
– Based on a report from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), the DOE says that between the last quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2021, 9,894 workplace chargers were installed in the US.
– The DOE defines workplace chargers as private charging stations for the use of employees only. The DOE reported that by the end of March 2021, about 95% of these were Level 2 chargers, 4% were Level 1 chargers, and less than 1% were DC fast chargers.
Original Source : https://chargedevs.com/newswire/us-installing-workplace-chargers-at-an-impressive-pace/
REMEMBERING GM’S EV1, THE LOST PIONEER OF ELECTRIC VEHICLES’ RISE
– EV1 veterans went on to work at Lucid, Tesla, Rivian, Faraday, Canoo and at established automakers that were starting their own EV programs.
– More than two decades after the EV1’s demise, more than 80 veterans of the project still work at GM. Many are involved with the company’s current EV offensive, which is scheduled to launch of more than 30 vehicles before the end of 2025. Its multibillion-dollar investments will include multiple assembly and battery plants.
– “We all knew electrification was the way forward,” said Steve Tarnowsky, another EV1 alumnus who’s now GM director of battery cell engineering. Within GM, EV1 expertise influenced development of hybrids; the Chevrolet Volt extended range EV, which paved the way for today’s plug-in hybrids; the Chevy Bolt,
– EV1 alumni are a proud group within GM, and the company readily acknowledges the vehicle’s influence on the long road that led to its current all-in bet on EVs.
Original Source : https://eu.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2021/12/25/gm-ev-1-electric-vehicles/9003729002/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns in 2022. Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL