If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 23rd December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
MERCEDES-AMG EQS 53 HAS GONE ON SALE FROM £154,995
– The Mercedes-AMG EQS 53 has gone on sale in the UK ahead of deliveries starting in 2022.The first electric saloon to come from Mercedes’ performance division costs from £154,995 with a choice of two models available – Night Edition and Touring.
– In both models the EQS has a twin-motor powertrain that makes 649bhp and 950Nm of torque as well as providing all-wheel drive. The 0-60mph sprint takes 3.6 seconds and the top speed is 137mph, while the 107.8kWh battery promises up to 358 miles between charges.
– An optional Performance Package is available for the Night Edition, which decreases the 0-60mph time to 3.2 seconds and increases the top speed to 155mph.
– The Night Edition has more sporty-focused detailing on the outside, plus 21-inch alloy wheels, a flat-bottomed sports steering wheel, and sports pedals. At £8,995, the optional Performance Package increases performance as well as adding a ceramic composite braking system and carbon-fibre trim.
– The Mercedes-AMG EQS 53 is on sale now with UK deliveries scheduled to begin in April 2022.
Original Source : https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mercedes-amg-eqs-53-gone-154424241.html
BATTERY UPDATE FOR ’20-’22 CHEVY BOLT EV, BOLT EUV AVAILABLE
– All Chevy Bolt EV and Chevy Bolt EUV customers who have not yet received a new battery pack module can now update the onboard software to lift related parking and charging restrictions.
– the new software limits Chevy Bolt EV and EUV models to a maximum of 80-percent battery charge, and enables customers to charge their vehicle indoors overnight, use the vehicle with less than 70 miles of range, and park inside after charging.
– The new software was previously available for 2017 through 2019 Chevy Bolt EV and Chevy Bolt EUV models. Now, the software has expanded availability for 2020-through-2022 model-year vehicles. Customers are encouraged to reach out to their local Chevrolet dealer for more information on acquiring the software update.
PEUGEOT 208 AND E-208 UPDATED FOR 2022
– Peugeot has detailed another batch of updates for the 2022 model year of its 208 and e-208 superminis, following on from last month’s announcement of range-boosting tweaks for the EV version.
– The mild revisions come after an update to the e-208 electric supermini which is claimed to unlock as much as 15 miles of extra range. The inclusion of an interior humidity sensor and a more efficient heat pump helps cool and heat the cabin more efficiently, while a new gearbox ratio optimises range at higher speeds.
TESLA HAS SUBMITTED FINAL DOCUMENTS FOR GIGAFACTORY BERLIN PRODUCTION APPROVAL
– Tesla and others have now submitted all documents needed for the environmental approval that would allow Gigafactory Berlin to start production.
– Now the government has confirmed that the documents have all been submitted (via Reuters):
Tesla and relevant authorities submitted all the documents necessary for the approval process for its planned battery factory near Berlin, the environment ministry of the German state of Brandenburg said on Wednesday.
– Brandenburg Premier Dietmar Woidke has recently said that a decision for approval might instead come in early 2022.
TESLA IS UNDER INVESTIGATION OVER THE POTENTIAL FOR DRIVERS TO PLAY VIDEO GAMES
– The U.S. has opened a formal investigation into the potential for Tesla drivers to play video games on a center touch screen while the vehicle is in motion.
– In a document posted Wednesday on its website, the agency says the feature, called “Passenger Play,” may distract the driver and increase the risk of a crash.
– The probe, which covers all four Tesla models, the S, X, Y and 3, was opened “to evaluate the driver distraction potential of Tesla ‘Passenger Play’ while the vehicle is being driven.” Investigators “will evaluate aspects of the feature, including the frequency and use scenarios of Tesla “Passenger Play.”‘
– The probe by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration covers about 580,000 electric cars and SUVs from model years 2017 through 2022.
– Tesla owner Vince Patton, who lives near Portland, Oregon, filed the complaint with the agency last month. In August, he was watching a YouTube video of a Tesla owner who discovered that he could now play a video game on his touch-screen while the vehicle is moving.
– Patton, who loves his car and says he has nothing against Tesla, worries that drivers will play games and become dangerously distracted.
– “NHTSA needs to prohibit all live video in the front seat and all live interactive web browsing while the car is in motion,” Patton wrote in his complaint. “Creating a dangerous distraction for the driver is recklessly negligent.”
– NHTSA already is investigating why Tesla’s “Autopilot” partially automated driving system keeps crashing into stopped emergency vehicles, and it has inquired about why Tesla didn’t file recall documents when it did an over-the-air internet update in an effort to address the safety problem.
TESLA MODEL 3 MOST EXPENSIVE VEHICLE IN U.S. TO INSURE
– A new study by QuoteWizard, an insurance price comparison website, reveals the most expensive “popular” vehicles to insure are also EVs: the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y respectively.
– The Model 3, which starts in the low $40K range, costs an average of $2,830 a year for full coverage. The Model Y isn’t far behind at $2,658.
– The average vehicle costs $1,255 to insure annually in the U.S., but several things factor into how much the end price is, including the age the vehicle, what you paid for it, engine size and what make and model it is.
– The “study’s” parameters are: ” from a leading insurance company for a 30-year-old male living in Seattle with a clean driving record. This sample driver has 50/100/50 coverage with $500 deductibles for both collision and comprehensive coverage.”
CATL LAUNCHES CELL PRODUCTION IN NEW 60 GWH FACTORY
– The Chinese battery cell manufacturer CATL has started production at its largest plant to date in Fuding near Ningde in Fujian province, which is to offer an annual capacity of 120 GWh when completed. The first phase, which has now started, is said to have a capacity of 60 GWh per year.
– The Fuding plant is CATL’s largest single project to date. To illustrate the scale: This battery factory alone has a planned capacity almost equal to the total installed capacity of all battery cell manufacturers in China in the first eleven months of 2021 – which was 128.3 GWh. According to current battery prices, 120 GWh would have a production value of over 100 billion yuan, or just under 14 billion euros.
– The company – like virtually all cell manufacturers – is on a huge expansion course. According to figures from the China Automotive Battery Innovation Alliance (CABIA), CATL had an installed production capacity of 11.45 GWh in China in November, giving it a market share of 55 per cent. However, the company has already announced its own plants and production facilities of joint ventures with carmakers, which add up to 600 GWh.
CHINA’S GOTION INKS EV BATTERY SUPPLY DEAL WITH UNNAMED US AUTOMAKER
– Gotion will secure the number of batteries required by the customer, which expects to purchase no less than 200 GWh in total, from 2023-2028.
– Gotion High-Tech has signed a supply and localization agreement with a major publicly traded US auto company to supply the latter with lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries, the Chinese power battery giant said.
– But from the details of the announcement, there’s a good chance the carmaker is Tesla.
– Gotion will export LFP batteries to the customer based on its demand through its battery production base in the Chinese mainland, the announcement said.
– These LFP battery products will be used in the customer’s electric vehicle and other applications in the US and global markets,
NORTHVOLT GOES ALL OUT TO MEET 2021 LAUNCH GOAL
– Northvolt Chief Executive Peter Carlsson wants to take on his old boss Elon Musk with the greenest electric vehicle batteries in the world. But he needs to start producing them first.
– The lithium-ion plant was the first to be built in the European Union by a European company and it is meant to be the launchpad for a regional battery champion that can compete not only with Tesla but also Asian suppliers including Panasonic, LG Chem, and CATL.
– It plans to produce enough batteries to power over 1 million electric vehicles (EV) annually in its Swedish plant in the former gold mining town of Skelleftea, and later supply to other sectors switching to electric, such as industrial machinery and ferries.
– Northvolt currently employs about 2,500 people from 108 countries, and plans to add 5,000 more engineers over the next five years. Northvolt and Volvo Cars, which aims to go fully electric by 2030, are due to announce a location in Europe for a joint gigafactory early next year.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2021/12/18/northvolt-launch/
CAR DETAILING EXPERT EXAMINES THE RIVIAN R1T’S BUILD QUALITY
– a Rivian R1T dropped by the car detailing experts at Chicago Auto Pros to get ceramic coating, paint protection film and window tint, and Jason Otterness decided to take a close look at the vehicle’s build quality.
– Stepping inside the R1T, Jason is really impressed with the design, materials, and build quality. There aren’t any problems to speak of when it comes to the cabin, which is not something you expect on a brand’s first production vehicle. Actually, the interior is the best part of the truck, according to Chicago Auto Pros.
– , the driver’s door on this particular vehicle does not sit flush with the rear passenger door when closed
– a similar problem at the bottom of the driver’s door where it meets the front fender’s plastic trim.
– The wheels on this R1T look great but a closer look reveals some circular scratches which seem to be marks from machine sanding
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/556303/rivian-r1t-build-quality-analyzed/
MOTORIST CAUGHT KEYING £50,000 TESLA
– Woman motorist was caught keying a £50,000 Tesla
– Anna Valente, 57, was upset to find the electric car had tightly-parked close to hers outside a shop in a retail park in Poole, Dorset. It is thought she had deliberately parked her Nissan Juke on the white line of a space to put off someone else parking next to it as she had left her pet dog in the front seat.With her back to the £50,000 Tesla, Valente very slyly used her own car key to slash the other vehicle’s passenger side door, causing over £1,000 damage.
– The camera positioned at the front windscreen filmed her clearly walking from a shop towards the two vehicles, while the one on the front side indicator captured her keying the door of the 2020 Tesla Model 3.Crucially, the camera on the back picked up her car registration plate which enabled police to trace Valente and charge her with criminal damage, which she pleaded guilty to.
– It is believed to be the first prosecution in Britain where the sensory cameras on a Tesla have been used as evidence in a case.
FDS EXTENDS RECORD ELECTRIC TRUCK ORDER – JUST AUTO
– DFDS, the shipping and logistics company, has ordered another 25 FM heavy electric vehicles from Volvo Trucks, taking the total to 125.
– Delivery is scheduled to start in Q4 2022. The new trucks will be used in the DFDS logistics system in Europe.
– The vehicles can be driven up to 500km (300 miles) during a work day with a fast top-up charge. The FM Electric has a gross combination weight of up to 44 tons and can be charged both overnight at the home depot and via high power fast charging en route.
Original Source : https://www.just-auto.com/news/dfds-extends-record-electric-truck-order/
GREAT WALL TO LAUNCH BUDGET ORA CAT ELECTRIC HATCH IN AUSTRALIA
– The compact and cute Ora Cat electric hatchback made by Great Wall Motors (GWM) will land in Australia in 2022, it has been confirmed by Great Wall Motors.
– Exactly when it will arrive is still to be confirmed, a spokesperson for GW told The Driven: “Confirming that Ora will launch in Australia in 2022 but we are still working through the final details on exact timings.”
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns in 2022. Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL