If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 22nd December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA ANNOUNCES FREE HOLIDAY SUPERCHARGING
– Tesla is making its Supercharging free for the holidays — with some caveats. The move, which is intended to curb long wait times at the automaker’s charging stations during this busy season, is limited to off-peak hours in select locations.
– A map on Tesla’s consumer website confirms that between Thursday, Dec. 23 and Sunday, Dec. 26, owners motoring along select travel routes in the US can receive free charging at specific stations between the hours of 7 p.m. and 10 a.m. (local time zone).
– The majority of stations covered under this incentive are concentrated on the West Coast, primarily in California, where over 30 locations are free, as well as Arizona (10 locations) and Nevada (7 locations).
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-supercharger-free-holidays/
TESLA’S BIG HOLIDAY UPDATE ADDS TIKTOK AND SONIC
– It includes useful driving features like automatic access to a car’s blind spot cameras, as well as fun additions like new games built into Tesla Arcade, TikTok support, and a feature that lets the electric cars “dance to a choreographed light show.” The update’s version number is 2021.44.25, and should be rolling out over the coming days.
– The most useful inclusion in the update could be its blind spot camera feature which automatically shows a live camera view of the car’s blind spot whenever a driver activates a turn signal. Tesla CEO Elon Musk indicated the feature was in development in July 2020, but now it’s here to (hopefully) make maneuvers like changing highway lanes a little bit safer.
– Other practical improvements include an easier way to add multiple waypoints to a journey, and simplified controls for accessing a car’s primary controls. It’s also now possible to drag and drop your most frequently used apps to customize the car’s menu bar, and the heaters in the front seats can now regulate temperature based on how hot it is in the car generally.
– TikTok videos can now be watched directly from the car’s touchscreen via Tesla Theater, and Tesla Arcade has been updated with new games like the original Sonic the Hedgehog
FORD F-150 LIGHTNING OFFERS V2V CHARGING
– The all-electric 2022 F-150 Lightning has the ability to “share” its range with other EVs, Ford has revealed.
– The available vehicle-to-vehicle charging feature enables owners to charge a friend’s vehicle during an outage or top off an EV battery for a neighbor.
– The F-150 Lightning makes vehicle-to-vehicle charging possible thanks to its onboard generator and high-capacity battery systems, as well as the Ford-exclusive Pro Power Onboard 240-volt outlet.
– when plugged to a F-150 Lightning with the optional 9.6 kW Pro Power Onboard, the Ford Mobile Power Cord charger can deliver Level-2 charging estimated to add an average range of 20 miles (32 km) per charging hour on a Mustang Mach-E Extended Range RWD.
– Once connected to the 240-volt Pro Power Onboard outlet, customers can use the Mobile Power Cord to charge EVs that use the SAE J1772 charge port.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/555880/ford-f150-lightning-v2v-charging/
VAUXHALL CORSA-E AND MOKKA-E GET £3K PRICE CUT AFTER GRANT CHANGES
– Vauxhall has responded to last week’s surprise reduction in the UK’s Plug-in Car Grant (PiCG) incentive scheme by lowering the price of its electric cars.
– Effective from today, the battery-powered Corsa-e and Mokka-e will have their list prices reduced by £3,000. It means the former now starts from £25,805 on-the-road including the grant, with the latter down to £29,365 including the grant.
– Vauxhall’s decision to reduce the price of its two electric cars means that even the expensive trim levels, namely the Corsa-e Elite and Mokka-e Ultimate, all fall under the £32,000 cap on the grant, so are eligible for the £1,500 discount.
AUDI MAIN PLANT TO ONLY MAKE ELECTRIC CARS FROM 2028
– In Germany, Audi’s main plant in Ingolstadt will only produce electric cars from 2028.
– These plans are quite ambitious seeing as the Ingolstadt plant hasn’t produced a single electric model to date. Within just three years, half of all vehicles built in Ingolstadt should be fully electric, and “from 2028, only electric cars will then roll off the production line in Ingolstadt,” an Audi spokesperson told Der Spiegel.
– The first model to be produced in Ingolstadt will be the Q6 e-tron. The Audi spokesperson said the first pre-production units are already being built and series production is planned for 2023. The Q6 e-tron is based on the new PPE electric platform, on which Porsche will also introduce the electric Macan successor in parallel.
DUCATI REVEALS NEW MOTOE ELECTRIC RACER AT MISANO
– Ducati has used a private test session at the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli to debut their all-new MotoE racer.
– The company will take over the MotoE series as the official machine supplier in 2023, with Michele Pirro given the shakedown duties of a machine that looks ready to race, even at this early stage.
– Laced with carbon fiber, and the usual Ducati fodder of Ohlins suspension, Marchesini wheels, and Brembo brakes, the V21L also sports a double-sided swingarm, differentiating it from something like the single-sided Panigale V4 R used in WorldSBK.
THIRTEEN NEW ELECTRIC VEHICLE BATTERY PLANTS PLANNED IN THE U.S. WITHIN FIVE YEARS
– In addition to electric vehicle battery plants that are already in operation in the United States, 13 additional plants have been announced and are expected to be operational within the next 5 years. Of the 13 plants that are planned, eight are joint ventures between automakers and battery manufacturers. Many of these new plants will be located in the Southeast or Midwest.
|General Motors & LG Chem||Lordstown, OH||2022|
|SK Innovation||Northeast of Atlanta, GA||2022|
|General Motors & LG Energy Solution||Spring Hill, TN||2023|
|SK Innovation||Northeast of Atlanta, GA||2023|
|Stellantis & LG Energy Solution||TBD||2024|
|Ford||Northeast of Memphis, TN||2025|
|Ford & SK Innovation||Central KY||2025|
|Stellantis & Samsung SDI||TBD||2025|
|Toyota||Southeast of Greensboro, NC||2025|
|Ford & SK Innovation||Central KY||2026|
|General Motors & LG Energy Solution||To be determined (TBD)||TBD|
|General Motors & LG Energy Solution||TBD||TBD|
POLESTAR 3 ELECTRIC SUV: LOOK MA, NO HANDS (OR ACCIDENTS)
Polestar 3 will go into production in late 2022 or early 2023 and the SUVs will be equipped to use an advanced lidar system from Luminar, a tech company making waves with its efforts to build the “uncrashable” car.
– The long-range lidar system offers Level 3 hands-free driving on designated stretches of highway. The driver can take their hands off the wheel, feet off the pedals, and can also divert their eyes and attention elsewhere such as answering emails or watching a movie. Luminar developed its own hardware and software and created the Iris sensing platform for significantly less cost.
– Its lidar can read the landscape from 1,148-1,640 feet away, depending on the size of the object, which is much further than the human eye can see or headlights can illuminate. That is a real strength because it gives the vehicle more time to react.
– Luminar will provide lidar sensors to Volvo starting in late 2022. They will be used in the Volvo XC90 replacement, which could be called the Embla. The new 2022 flagship electric SUV will be on the next generation of Volvo’s Scalable Product Architecture or SPA2, designed to handle the advanced driving capability.
– Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath said he will wait until 2025 to make the more advanced Level 3 hands-free system available in the Polestar 3. When the time comes, it will be activated via an over-the-air software update.
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/polestar-3-electric-suv-lidar-level-3
MACK TRUCKS’ 1ST ALL-ELECTRIC VEHICLE ENTERS SERIAL PRODUCTION
– Mack Trucks’ first fully-electric heavy-duty refuse truck has entered full production at the company’s Lower Macungie Township assembly plant.
– Equipped with a fully electric integrated Mack drivetrain, the Mack LR Electric will serve both commercial and municipal customers.
– Pre-production began this past summer at the sprawling 164-acre plant off Route 100, the same place where all heavy-duty Mack trucks built for North America are assembled. The company announced this week its serial production.
– Refuse trucks run short, repeated routes and are always parked at night in the same place, which makes for easy recharging infrastructure and planning, Mack representatives have said. Frequent stops also provide many opportunities for regenerative braking, which allows for the battery to recharge by converting mechanical energy into usable electrical energy.
UK’S PIVOT POWER BRINGS ONLINE 5MWH FLOW BATTERY AT ‘WORLD’S LARGEST HYBRID PROJECT’
– Flow battery company Invinity Energy Systems, alongside developer Pivot Power, has fully energised the UK’s largest flow battery, located in Oxford, England.
– It forms part of the £41 million (US$54.2 million) Energy Superhub Oxford (ESO) project, which is set to support the city’s goal of being zero carbon by 2040 or earlier, by integrating rapid electric vehicle (EV) charging, hybrid battery storage, low carbon heating and smart energy management technologies.
– the 5MWh flow battery will combine with a 50MWh Wärtsilä lithium-ion battery energy storage system (BESS) to operate as a single energy storage asset, with the lithium-ion component actived in June.
– Late last month, work began on the EV charging hub element of the project, with this lauded as the UK’s largest. The site is to see the installation of 10 Fastned chargers with up to 300kW of power, 16 Gamma Energy chargers with between 7-22kW of power and 12 250kW Tesla Superchargers.
BYD DELIVERS 1000TH PURE-ELECTRIC TANG SUV IN NORWAY
– The successful launch of BYD’s pure-electric Tang SUV in Norway has prompted high volumes of customer demand for the first 1000 vehicles to be delivered in the country. The recent arrival of these eco-friendly SUVs in Norway has led swiftly to the 1000th customer proudly taking delivery of their brand new BYD Tang via BYD’s Norwegian distributor, RSA.
– While the spacious seven-seater BYD Tang SUV is especially appealing to families, its versatility and stylish design, is also garnering strong interest from different types of consumers. Being an all-wheel-drive vehicle, the Tang is ideal for those looking for a more adventurous drive; a perfect solution for Norway’s mountainous terrain and winter conditions.
– The Tang is equipped with BYD’s revolutionary 86.4kWh ultra-safe Blade Battery which powers the car from 0-100km/h in just 4.6 seconds and provides an unparalleled driving range of 528km (WLTP City) and 400km (WLTP combined). It also benefits from impressively fast charging from 30% to 80% in 30 minutes using a DC power output of 110kW.
SEC OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCES $125M SETTLEMENT WITH NIKOLA OVER MILTON FRAUD CASE
– The SEC has officially announced the $125 million fine given to Nikola Motor following the agency’s fraud accusations against the company’s founder, Trevor Milton.
– “The settlement follows the SEC’s litigated action filed earlier this year against Trevor Milton, the company’s founder and former Chief Executive Officer and Executive Chairman.”
– Nikola was found to have violated the antifraud and disclosure control provisions of federal securities laws, the SEC’s order states. Nikola, without admitting or denying the SEC’s findings, agreed to pay the $125 million penalty and to cease and desist from future violations of the charged provisions.
CHECK THE BATTERY TECH OF THE AUDI RS Q E-TRON DAKAR RALLY CAR
– One of the most technically challenging aspects of building the RS Q e-tron was developing a battery pack that can handle the rigors of Dakar.
– The battery pack Audi Sport developed is a high-voltage, 52 kWh battery that weighs — with all cooling gear included — 370 kg (815 lbs).
– Audi Sport drivers and engineers also need to be clever in their battery management. Battery usage (accelerating) and battery charging have to be carefully managed over the course of the race, which is tricky due to the ever-changing nature of Dakar. To manage it all, Audi Sport engineers have pre-programmed certain algorithms to deal with certain situations.
– Regenerative braking also plays a huge role in battery management. Using the same tech Audi used in Formula E, the RS Q e-tron uses MGU (Motor Generator Units) units, which are placed on the front and rear axles
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns in 2022. Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL