If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 20th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
A new Producer ADESOJI AJAO
A new Executive Producer THOMAS COOK
A new Executive Producer MATTI JOUHKIMO
NIO LAUNCHES MID-SIZE CAR ET5
– Chinese smart electric vehicle maker NIO has launched a new mid-size car featuring a “digital cockpit” that is squarely aimed at Tesla’s popular Model 3.
– The ET5 meanwhile is NIO’s fifth production model since it was established in 2014.
– The model due to launch next year is fitted with a 75 kilowatt-hour (kWh) battery that can go as far as 550km on a single charge.
– The long range version powered by a 100kWh battery has a driving range of 700km, while the ultralong range model carrying a 150kWh battery can go 1,000km. NIO has not unveiled the prices of the higher range versions.
Chinese electric car start-up Nio reveals a new sedan AR VR glasses
– Chinese electric car company Nio revealed Saturday a new sedan and custom augmented reality (AR) glasses that reduce the need for in-car screens.
– Nio said it partnered with Chinese augmented reality start-up Nreal for the AR glasses that go with its new sedan, the ET5.
– The electric car is set to begin deliveries in September 2022, with pre-subsidy prices starting at 328,000 yuan ($51,250) for models that come with a battery.
– Next year, the electric car company plans to bring its products and services to Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark
NIO unveils new mid-size ET5 electric sedan; up to 1,000km with 150 kWh pack
– Inheriting NIO’s high-performance DNA, the 360 kW ET5 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 4.3 seconds with its dual-motor architecture (150 kW induction asynchronous motor in the front and 210 kW permanent magnet motor at the rear to offer a peak torque 700 N·m).
– ET5 comes with the latest NIO Autonomous Driving (NAD). With NIO Aquila Super Sensing and NIO Adam Super Computing, ET5 will gradually achieve a safe and reassuring autonomous driving experience for scenarios such as highways, urban areas, parking and battery swapping.
– In 2022, NIO will continue to expand its charging and swapping network. By the end of 2022, NIO will have in total more than 1,300 Power Swap stations, 6,000 Power Chargers and 10,000 destination chargers across China
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/12/20211219-nio.html
2023 AUDI E-TRON GETTING FRESH LOOKS AND A BIGGER BATTERY FOR IMPROVED RANGE
– Audi’s flagship electric SUV, the e-tron, is up for a facelift in the latter half of 2022 alongside its e-tron Sportback sibling, bringing subtle visual tweaks but important updates on the technical front
– The redesigned front bumper will feature a new Singleframe grille with a honeycomb pattern, and different intakes. The camouflage on front/rear fenders, and side sills, could hint at a new style for the plastic cladding. Headlights and taillights are expected to integrate the latest tech from Audi’s parts bin, while retaining an identical outer shape. Finally, the lower part of the rear bumper will also be tweaked.
– The most important changes in the facelifted e-tron will occur under the skin. According to a report from a few months ago, the updated SUV could offer a 373-mile (600 km) range thanks to the adoption of new generation batteries, more efficient electric motors, and an improved energy recuperation system. If this number is confirmed, it will signal a huge improvement over the up to 274 miles (441 km) WLTP range of the current model which is considered to be one of its main weaknesses over the competition.
EV TAX CREDITS: MANCHIN A NO ON BUILD BACK BETTER BILL, PUTTING $12,500 INCENTIVE IN DOUBT
– President’ Biden’s Build Back Better bill is on life support following comments from West Virginia’s Democratic Senator Joe Manchin. During an interview on Sunday, the senator said he plans to vote no on the spending plan, which includes a $12,500 refundable tax credit for electric vehicle purchases.
– The base amount remains $4,000, as it is today, with another $3,500 available if the EV’s battery pack includes at least 40 kilowatt-hours of capacity.
– EVs and consumers will be able to qualify for another $4,500 in the tax credit if an automaker makes the EV in the US with a union workforce. Another $500 comes into play for automakers using a US-made battery, for a maximum of $12,500 available.
– Biden needs every single Democrat to vote yes on the bill, which would allow Vice President Kamala Harris to break a tie in the senate. There is no Republican support for the bill. The president remains keen to incentivize EV purchases as part of a $555 billion investment into actions to combat climate change, also part of the bill.
CHINA EV TEARDOWN: A $4,500 ‘ALTERNATIVE TO WALKING’
– At 28,800 yuan ($4,500), the Hongguang Mini EV has become a big seller in certain Chinese cities and villages. In Japan, a Nagoya University professor disassembled the electric vehicle to discover what kind of alchemy the manufacturer used to set such a low price.
– Rather than wizardry, professor Masayoshi Yamamoto discovered a neat trick that SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile pulled off — the use of cheap, not-so-durable parts put together in a way that makes them easy to replace.
– The Mini EV has no regenerative braking system, which has greatly reduced its cost.
– The electric vehicle also forgoes a liquid cooling system for the motor and other parts in favor of an air-cooled system. Since the power semiconductor inside the inverter and other electronic components are affected by heat, the inverter’s expected life span has been set at eight years, or 120,000 km.
– Buyers can think of the Hongguang Mini EV as a cheap electric vehicle prone to breaking down but easy to fix. SAIC-GM-Wuling calls it “an alternative to walking.”
EGYPT TO BUILD $20K ELECTRIC VEHICLE IN COLLABORATION WITH CHINESE FIRM
– Egypt has ordered a state-owned company to work with a Chinese firm to build affordable electric vehicles priced at 315,000 Egyptian pounds ($20,000).
– Egyptian authorities have approached three potential companies to partner with the state-owned automobile company El Nasr Automotive Manufacturing on the project.
– Vehicle production is planned to start in 2023, with annual output set to rise to 20,000 in the next three years
Original Source : https://www.arabnews.com/node/1989666/business-economy
TESLA TO EXPAND SUPERCHARGER STATIONS BY 31% IN 2022
– Tesla continues to increase the number of charging stations around the world, as its car fleet grows by hundreds of thousands annually and this trend will only continue to increase. By the end of 2022, the company plans to expand the Supercharger Network by 31%
– The company currently has 3,382 Supercharger stations worldwide with over 30,000 stalls, and are planning to build 1,047 more—adding no less than 10,000 new stalls.
– According to the current data, Canada has the most technologically advanced Supercharger Network in the world with the largest number of new generation, V3 stalls. Currently, 37.4% of the Tesla Supercharger Network are V3 chargers and their benefits are most enjoyed by residents of Canada. 48.1% of all Superchargers in Canada are V3 chargers. Next comes China with 42.9%, followed by South Korea with 42.1%.
THIS APP LETS YOU RUN ANDROID AUTO ON A TESLA OVER THE BROWSER
– Tesla’s feature-rich dashboard is powered by a custom Linux distribution, which is tightly integrated with the car’s hardware components. While the modding community has yet to discover a way to completely replace it with Android, Tesla car owners can finally enjoy the Android Auto experience, thanks to a new app called TeslAA.
– The workflow of TeslAA is quite straightforward. Upon installing the app on your phone, you need to connect the phone to your car via Bluetooth. Next, connect the Tesla Wi-Fi to your phone’s hotspot and head over to www.androidwheels.com using the Tesla browser. If everything goes right, you should be able to see the Android Auto screen on your center console.
– There are, however, a few bugs that you need to consider. These include the stream becoming unresponsive after switching to reverse and the car disconnecting from the Wi-Fi hotspot
Original Source : https://www.xda-developers.com/teslaa-android-auto-on-tesla-cars/
ENEL X EXPANDS IN CANADA’S EV HOME CHARGING MARKET
– Enel X has announced its expansion in the Canadian market as the company and agency partner Catalyst Sales and Marketing say they will expand EV charging solutions for multi-unit dwellings with Killam Apartment REIT, one of Canada’s largest multi-residential landlords.
– The plan is for Enel X to install 438 smart EV charging stations across Killam properties. Natural Resources Canada’s Zero Emission Vehicle Infrastructure Program (ZEVIP) provided $730,000 in funding to help establish the chargers across 50 Killam properties. ZEVIP is a 5-year $280 million program ending in 2024.
– According to census data, more than a third of residents live in multi-unit dwellings in Canada, so EV charging is increasingly considered an “expected amenity,” said the partners.
COLD TEMPERATURES AFFECT AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE’S DRIVING RANGE
– The main reasons driving range goes down in cold weather are the impact on battery chemistry when parked and the drain in order to maintain battery temperature and supply cabin heat. Cold temperatures can reduce an unplugged EV’s range by about 20 percent, according to testing by the Norwegian Automobile Federation, and recharging takes longer than in warm weather.
– To reduce the impact of cold, park the car in a garage where it can remain on a charger.
TESLA VEHICLES LOSE FAR LESS RANGE IN COLD WEATHER THAN OTHER EVS
– All electric vehicles experience some loss of range in cold weather, as cold temperatures slow down the chemical processes in the batteries, which must also spend energy heating the car’s interior. Nevertheless, Tesla cars performed at their best, showing the smallest loss of range among all the cars tested.
– A decrease in the range of vehicles in cold weather is normal. Electric vehicle owners in colder climates should adjust their daily driving and charging during the winter months. However, this phenomenon is temporary and as soon as the weather is warmer, the range of electric vehicles returns to their previous values, explains Recurrent, who conducted a test of electric vehicles in winter conditions.
– According to the data presented in the chart, we can see that Tesla is the only manufacturer with a vehicle—Model X 75D—that did not have a loss of range at low temperatures. The other cars of the company, Model 3 Long Range and Model Y Long Range, show only a 1% loss in range. Model S P100D shows a 4% loss of range. Jaguar E-Peace also showed good results, losing only 3% of its range.
– The worst results were shown by the Chevy Bolt and Chevy Volt, which lost 32% and 31% of the range, respectively.
EV CHARGING STATIONS AREN’T ALWAYS IN BEST LOCATIONS FOR NIGHT USERS
– Would you willingly spend 30 minutes in a deserted parking lot at 11:30 p.m.? Advise your child or loved one to do it? Probably not, but electric vehicle owners frequently face that prospect when they need to charge a vehicle away from home.
– Planning a long drive on interstate highways recently, I found multiple instances where the only DC fast chargers available were in the lots of dealers that would certainly be deserted, and possibly closed, when I reached them at night.
– Charging companies and automakers both have a role to play in ensuring charging is easy and secure.
DOBBIES GARDEN CENTRES CHARGE PARKS WITH GRIDSERVE
– In the UK, Dobbies Garden Centres has announced a partnership with Gridserve to provide electric vehicle chargers at locations throughout England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
– The agreement initially covers 30 ‘Destination Electric Hubs’ installed at Dobbie’s car parks. Each of these will have up to 12 high-power charge points with connectors to support “all types of electric vehicles.”
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns in 2022. Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL