If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 17th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
PLUG-IN CAR GRANT CUT FROM £2,500 TO £1,500
– The Government has brought yet another round of cuts to its plug-in car grant. Buyers can now only claim a maximum of £1,500 off the price of a new eligible plug-in car (£1,000 less than before) on models costing no more than £32,000 – £3,000 less than previously.
– The plug-in van grant has also been cut to £5,000 for large vans and £2,500 for small vans, with a limit of 1,000 customers per year. Plug-in motorcycles will benefit from a maximum of £500 off and mopeds £150.
– Mike Hawes, chief executive of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), said the cuts represented “a blow to customers”.
IMMEDIATE CUTS TO GOVERNMENT EV GRANTS
– For the second time this year, the Government has announced instant cuts to the electric vehicle grant, with a £1000 reduction in the amount offered on cars taking it to £1500, and the threshold dropping by £3000 so only vehicles under £32,000 now qualify.
– The updated Government website lists the cars still eligible for the grant, although it remains to be seen whether price alignments to get under the new thresholds will be announced in the coming days and weeks, as was the case from the likes of BMW, Citroen, DS, Hyundai, Kia, Peugeot, Vauxhall and others when the previous change was announced in March. The new Citroen e-Berlingo and Peugeot e-Rifter in particular have model priced just above the £32,000 point.
– Cars no longer qualifying due to reduced price threshold (subject to any price realignments in reaction to the grant changes):
Vauxhall Vivaro e-Life
NEW GERMAN GOVERNMENT TO REVAMP INCENTIVES FOR ELECTRIC CARS
– Germany’s new government said Monday it is extending the country’s current system of incentive payments for buyers of electric and hybrid cars for a year but then plans to impose tougher requirements for vehicles to qualify for the support.
– The economy and climate ministry that was set up when Germany’s new government took office last week said it will only provide payments starting in 2023 for “electric vehicles that demonstrably have a positive climate-protection effect.”
– For the next year, the current system will still apply, making buyers of electric-only cars eligible for incentives of up to 9,000 euros (about $10,200) and qualifying buyers of plug-in hybrids for up to 6,750 euros.
GERMANY TO BOOST ELECTRIC CAR SALES BY EXTENDING €9,000 HELP TO BUY SUBSIDIES
– The government’s goal is to see 15 million purely electrified cars in circulation by 2030. So far, Germany has seen only 520,000 of them roll off dealerships’ forecourts, according to AFP.This financial support, introduced in July 2020, has played a key role in the record increase in the market share of electrified vehicles in Germany,
– In May 2021, Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy Peter Altmaier announced his intention to make the payment process easier for charging stations. “For eMobility to really breakthrough, we must not only provide funding for electric vehicles, but also make the charging process and payment for this more convenient,” Altmaier said.“In future, the charging stations that are open to the public will accept standard credit and debit cards. This means that these charging stations will be open to everyone – including customers that do not own a smartphone. As credit cards work everywhere, this also opens up charging stations to cross-border travel.”.
ARRIVAL OFFERS AN EARLY LOOK AT ITS FIRST ELECTRIC CAR
– The Arrival Car, as it is known, is designed, first and foremost, to be used by rideshare drivers during their working day.
– Much as the company doesn’t want to call it a taxi, this is more or less what the Arrival Car is, an electric update to the London black cab for cities of the future. But with a number of tweaks that mean it’s smaller and more efficient than current cars, but still has buckets of room inside.
– Arrival announced that it had teamed up with Uber to create a “purpose-built vehicle for ride-hailing.” It’s a project with an ambitious deadline, too, with the first models expected to roll off the production line in Q3, 2023.
– The Arrival Car is deeply uncool, a box on wheels with an emphasis on maximizing the internal space for passengers. It has the same silhouette as a French-made minivan; you could easily imagine a line of these parked outside a Saturday-morning under 15’s soccer match. But, because it wholly rejects the need to be aesthetic for the sake of aesthetics, it’s also quite cool.
Original Source : https://www.engadget.com/arrival-car-first-look-prototype-090031725.html
A CLEAR COURSE: AUDI IS INCREASING INVESTMENTS IN ELECTROMOBILITY
– advance payments for future vehicle projects are being increased once again, with a sum total of about €37 billion. The premium manufacturer is earmarking about €18 billion for electrification and hybridization alone and thereby emphasizing its clear commitment to electromobility.
– With the new models Audi e-tron GT quattro, Audi RS e-tron GT, and the first fully electric models in the compact segment, the Audi Q4 e-tron and Audi Q4 Sportback e-tron, the electric portfolio has grown by four additional models. By 2025, the company aims to have more than 20 fully electric models in its lineup.
MERCEDES TEASES NEW EV THAT WILL DESTROY EVERYONE ON RANGE
– embarrass even the most efficient hybrids and diesels. The Lucid Air, for example, has the longest range of any electric car on the market with up to 520 miles on a charge. It’s tough to imagine an EV beating that range estimate anytime soon, but if anyone can beat Lucid Motors, it’s Mercedes-Benz.
– More than one year ago, Mercedes teased an EV with a staggering 750-mile range, called the Vision EQXX. The vehicle will be revealed (in concept form) on January 3, 2022, but before then, the German automaker just released a new teaser for its most efficient car ever.
– To achieve a 750-mile range, the EQXX will likely sport a massive battery pack and an extremely low drag coefficient.
– Mercedes may not give us full battery details when it reveals the EQXX, but the German automaker promises it will “[increase] the energy density at the cell level by a further 20% compared to the EQS,”
LIGHTYEAR’S NEW SOLAR EV WILL REQUIRE FIVE TIMES LESS CHARGING THAN ITS PREDECESSOR
– While we eagerly wait for Lightyear One the solar-powered electric vehicle (EV) to go into production, its makers have already announced a more cost-friendly version model that will offer twice the range of similarly priced vehicles,
– managed to use the car in European summer without having to charge it at all. The car manages this with solar panels that are seamlessly present on its surface and with high-efficiency motors that use up to three times lesser power per kilometer than EVs in the market today, the company claims.
– currently offer. And with its solar panels, it will require up to five times lesser charging as well. There is definitely an upgrade coming to the solar panel array on the Lightyear since Two will rely heavily on the panels to achieve this. Another important prospect of the car is its price. At €30,000 ($34,000)
- Original Source : https://interestingengineering.com/lightyears-new-solar-ev-will-require-five-times-less-charging-than-its-predecessor
FIRST DOCUMENTED NON-EMPLOYEE RIVIAN R1T DELIVERY?
– A new Rivian R1T owner (u/Iwantatesla) posted on Reddit showing off some images of his new truck, which is wearing the brand’s El Cap Granite exterior paint. The owner posted not only to share his excitement about the recent delivery, but also to open up a forum for people to “ask me anything,” or AMA.
– He said while he’d love to work for Rivian, he’s not employed by or linked to the electric automaker in any way, aside from being a new owner.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/555045/first-rivian-r1t-delivery-ama/
RIVIAN Q3 EARNINGS: POSTS $1.23 BILLION NET LOSS, WON’T MEET 2001 EV PRODUCTION GOAL
– Rivian Automotive Inc. said it expects to fall short of its annual production target as the EV maker gave investors the first look at its operations as a public company.
– The EV startup will be “a few hundred vehicles short” of its goal to produce 1,200 units by the end of the year, according to a statement Thursday. Rivian said it had a net loss of $1.23 billion in the third quarter, or an adjusted net loss of $776 million.
– Net preorders for the two R1 models grew to a combined 71,000 as of Dec. 15, Rivian said, up from 55,400 at the end of October.
RIVIAN’S AMAZON DELIVERY VAN HAS 201-MILE RANGE, WILL SPAWN SMALLER VAN
– Rivian made big news on Thursday with its announcement of a new $5 billion factory that will be constructed in Georgia, but the EV company’s third-quarter shareholder letter also contained some good tidbits about Rivian’s delivery van for Amazon. Maybe the biggest, at least to us, is that the van finally has an official name: EDV.
– The EDV is produced alongside the R1T pickup and R1S SUV at Rivian’s factory in Normal, Illinois, which the company announced is expanding production capacity from 150,000 units a year to over 200,000 annually.
– While testing has been going on for months, Rivian says the first “saleable” vans will be delivered to Amazon later this month, right on schedule.
– The version of the van that we’ve already seen is more specifically called the EDV 700, referring to its 700 cubic feet of cargo space. Under the EPA’s official testing procedure the EDV 700 has a range of 201 miles, more than enough for the average delivery route. Rivian also announced that a narrower, shorter EDV 500 van will debut in early 2022 on the same RCV commercial vehicle platform as the larger van.
RIVIAN EV PLANT TO BE BUILT EAST OF ATLANTA IN GEORGIA
– Electric vehicle maker Rivian on Thursday confirmed it plans to build a $5 billion assembly plant and battery factory in Georgia, which Gov. Brian Kemp called “the largest single economic development project ever in this state’s history.”
– At a press conference with Kemp at the State Capitol, a Rivian executive outlined plans to employ 7,500 workers at its factory, a jobs tally state officials have said could grow to 10,000. The plant will be built on a sprawling swath of farmland and pine forest about an hour’s drive east of Atlanta.
– Rivian plans to begin production in 2024 at the Georgia plant, where it expects to be able to manufacture up to 400,000 vehicles a year. Construction is slated to begin next summer.
TESLA ROLLS OUT ACTIVE ROAD NOISE REDUCTION FOR NEW MODEL S AND MODEL X
– Tesla has started rolling out its Active Road Noise Reduction feature for the new Model S and Model X. The function allows the cabin to be quieter when the vehicle is driving over rough surfaces. The feature was introduced as part of software update 2021.44.5.
– The following are the feature’s Release Notes: “Your vehicle now has the ability to actively reduce low-frequency road noise while driving on rough surfaces. To accomplish this, the system uses the seat microphones to measure the noise in the cabin, then generates anti-noise through the speakers to create quiet zones around the occupants. To access, tap Audio Settings > Options > Active Road Noise Reduction.”
– It should be noted that Active Road Noise Reduction would only be made available for Tesla’s flagship vehicles — the Model S sedan and the Model X SUV. This is because the feature is hardware-related, with Tesla installing Active Noise Canceling Microphones in the vehicles’ front seats as part of the Model S and Model X’s interior refresh. Such components are currently not installed in the Model 3 sedan and Model Y crossover.
VOLVO TAKES THE FH ELECTRIC OUT FOR ARCTIC TESTING
– What happens to a battery-powered truck when the thermometer reads -25° C and strong winds are blowing? To find out, Volvo Trucks has completed winter tests with its upcoming 44-tonne FH Electric in the far north of Sweden – and introduced a preconditioning function in response.
– The FH Electric is one of three new electric trucks that Volvo plans to start series production of next year. The electric truck, which can weigh up to 44 tonnes, has already been available to order for several months, and the Swedish company is positioning it as a workhorse in the field of regional and supra-regional transport
– As a tangible result of the winter tests, Volvo points to a newly introduced function called ‘Ready to Run’. Depending on the need, this function prepares the vehicle for the working day by preheating the batteries and cab or cooling them in very warm weather. The optimum temperature for batteries is around +25 ° C. The driver can start the preheating or pre-cooling remotely via an app.
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Has Covid-19 changed your electric car buying decisions in the last two years? Yes, no and why?
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL