If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 16th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
POLESTAR 2 SINGLE MOTOR BESTS TESLA MODEL 3 WITH 270 MILE RANGE
– Polestar 2 Long Range Single Motor has been given a range of 270 miles (435 km) by the EPA. That’s one of the best ratings in its class and it beats the 263 mile (423 km) Tesla Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive by a thin margin.
– While the Tesla Model 3 is technically cheaper thanks to its $44,900 base price, it’s not eligible for the federal tax credit. As a result, the $45,900 Polestar 2 is the better deal as the $7,500 incentive effectively lowers the price to $38,400.
– The Tesla is also significantly faster as the dash to 60 mph (96 km/h) takes 5.8 seconds, which makes it 1.2 seconds quicker than the Polestar.
– Polestar confirmed their recently announced performance upgrade for the 2 Long Range Dual Motor will be offered in America.
ALL PARKING IN NEW BUILDINGS TO BE PRE-WIRED FOR CHARGING
– Drivers making the switch to zero-emissions vehicles will benefit from new requirements for parking spaces at homes and work to be pre-wired for electric car chargers.
– Pre-cabling for the installation of private chargers, where close to 90% of all charging occurs, would be required in new buildings and buildings undergoing extensive renovations, the EU Commission proposed today. However, Transport & Environment (T&E) cautioned against leaving behind the vast majority of motorists who live and work in existing buildings, where there will be no requirement.
– New and renovated non-residential buildings, such as offices and shops, would also have to be equipped with a minimum number of installed charging points, according to the proposed new Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD). And, for the first time, drivers of electric vehicles (EVs) would have the right to install a charger – at their own cost, if necessary – whenever they purchase or lease an EV in Europe.
2022 SKODA ENYAQ IV COUPE TO BE REVEALED ON 31 JANUARY
– The Enyaq Coupé iV is effectively Skoda’s version of the Volkswagen ID 5, which is itself a rakish-roofed variant of the Volkswagen ID 4.
– Skoda claims a drag coefficient of 0.234 for its new coupé-SUV, which is said to be the best in its class and makes the new model “particularly efficient to drive”.
– The Enyaq Coupé is likely to be available with the same batteries as the standard car, and the enhanced aero could see the maximum range raised slightly over 333 miles from the largest, 77kWh battery pack. A smaller-capacity 58kWh battery is expected to net a range of around 260 miles.
– The firm has yet to reveal the 296bhp Enyaq vRS – which will be closely related to the Volkswagen ID 4 GTX – but could make the trim available first on the Enyaq Coupé.
– Skoda has yet to hint at how much the Enyaq Coupé will cost, but its style-led billing will probably incur a slight premium over the standard car, which starts at £34,850.
TRITIUM SECURES MAJOR NEW DEAL TO SUPPLY SHELL WITH EV FAST CHARGERS
– The electric vehicle fast chargers of Brisbane-based Tritium are set to grace the forecourts of Shell petrol stations around the globe, after a new deal with the oil major to provide more of its fast charging technology and services.
In its second deal to supply Shell with direct current fast chargers, Tritium said it had been selected as a partner in the latest tender, in pursuit of Shell’s ambition to operate 500,000 EV charge points by 2025 and 2.5 million by 2030.
– Shell’s business operations in Europe, South Africa, Asia, the Middle East and North America.
– The exact amount of fast charging units the deal is expected to include was not disclosed by Tritium, but Shell has more than 46,000 retail sites around the world.
AUTOMAKERS URGE BUTTIGIEG TO INSTALL HIGH SPEED CHARGING INFRASTRUCTURE
– A group of 15 automakers, including 6 from the Volkswagen Group, sent a letter to the US Secretary of Transportation, Pete Buttigieg, urging him to prioritize ultra-high-speed DC fast charging equipment along the nation’s highway corridors with the money available in the National Electric Vehicle Formula Program.
– The group believes we have a unique opportunity, and getting it right can be transformational for the entire electric vehicle industry moving forward.
– The letter was signed by: BMW USA, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Hyundai Motor Company, Kia America, Lucid Motors, Mercedes-Benz, Polestar Automotive USA Inc, Porsche Cars North America Inc, Volkswagen Group of America, and Volvo Car Group.
– It’s important to note that the letter specifically calls out 150 kW DC fast chargers to be the minimum acceptable charging power for installations along the nation’s highway corridors. The automakers point out that 50 kW DC fast chargers were fine a few years ago because that’s all the EVs could accept, but today and to future-proof, 150 kW and 350 KW units are necessary.
KEN BLOCK GETS HOONITRON ALL-ELECTRIC AUDI S1 E-TRON QUATTRO
– Ken Block, Audi, and Hoonigan just revealed Block’s latest tire-melting Gymkhana prototype: The Hoonitron. It’s an all electric coupe bearing the S1 e-tron Quattro name, and we expect the Head Hoonigan in Charge to drive in at least one upcoming Gymkhana film. It looks mean.
– While the car is still in concept form, Audi invited Block to its design center in Ingolstadt, Germany to check out a clay model up close. The Hoonitron’s exterior borrows heavily from the original Group B S1 Quattro, with sharp lines and aggressive wings
TESLA MODEL 3 TO BECOME BEST SELLING BEV 2021 IN GERMANY, FRANCE AND UK
– As per the latest data available, the Tesla Model 3 is on the path to become the best selling BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle) both in Germany and France, beating local brands for the first time. It is also the best selling BEV in the UK.
– “Looking at the 2021 ranking, the #1 Tesla Model 3 kept a safe distance over the #2 Renault Zoe, and unless a big surprise comes in December, we should see the Model 3 win its first best seller trophy in France. If so, the interesting fact is that the Tesla Model 3 will be the best selling EV this year both in Germany and France, beating their domestic competitors for the first time”, according to an article in cleantechnica by Jose Pontes.
– “… add in the fact that the Tesla Model 3 is also the best selling EV in the United Kingdom, and it is quite a big deal that Tesla’s midsize sedan is going to be crowned the king of the three markets that make up the backbone of the European EV market.”,
TESLA MODEL 3 IS THE EDMUNDS TOP RATED EV FOR 2022
– We’ve found that the Model 3’s driving experience is where it really shines, elevating the controversial sedan above the rest of the pack to become the Edmunds Top Rated EV for 2022.
– As you’d expect of a vehicle crowned Edmunds Top Rated EV three years in a row, there’s a lot to like about the Model 3. It’s quite spacious inside, there’s a tremendous amount of cargo room and the ride is quite comfortable. The Model 3’s fit, finish and choice of interior materials have also been on an upswing of late, and this most affordable Tesla now more closely matches the luxury standard that customers expect from the brand.
– he acceleration of the aptly named Model 3 Performance (3.3 seconds from a standstill to 60 mph, according to Edmunds’ testing) is mind-bending.
JOHN DEERE INVESTS IN MORE EV TECHNOLOGY
– As demand grows for equipment powered by electricity, Deere and Company plans to buy an Austrian company that specializes in battery technology.
– Today, the company announced it will acquire Kreisel Electric based in Rainbach im Mühlkreis, Austria.
– Deere says Kreisel develops and produces electric battery modules and packs, plus charging infrastructure (charging stations). And the acquisition will allow Deere to design electric vehicles and powertrains, mainly for “high-performance and off-highway applications.”
– Deere products that may eventually be powered by Kreisel battery technology alone include lawn mowers, compact utility tractors, and small tractors, plus some construction and road-building equipment.
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Has Covid-19 changed your electric car buying decisions in the last two years? Yes, no and why?
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL