If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 15th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TOYOTA’S ELECTRIC VEHICLE PLANS ARE GETTING BIGGER AND MORE EXPENSIVE
– Toyota is ramping up its electric vehicle production schedule, vowing to release 30 electric vehicles by 2030 rather than just 15 EVs by 2025, as was previously promised. The Japanese automaker also vowed to sell 3.5 million battery EVs globally by 2030 and to transform Lexus into an EV-only brand by 2035.
– the company’s top executives, including billionaire CEO Akio Toyoda, have been on the record calling the trend toward electric vehicles “overhyped” in part because of emissions associated with power plants — which is a favorite talking point used by the oil and gas industry.
– But in an event Tuesday, Toyoda changed his tune, touting the need for the company to reduce tailpipe emissions by releasing more EVs.
– As part of the announcement, Toyota showed several dozen concept vehicles, including sedans, sports cars, crossovers, SUVs, pickup trucks, and even a couple of boxy shuttles. The company didn’t release many details about each vehicle but did note that a planned Lexus sports car would have a “cruising range” of 700 km (434 miles) and be able to accelerate from 0 to 60mph in under two seconds.
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/14/22833997/toyota-ev-investment-lexus-concept-vehicles
TOYOTA TEASES SLICK ELECTRIC SPORTS CARS IN MAJOR EV PREVIEW
– Toyota’s upcoming offerings will live under its new “BZ” sub-brand, which stands for “Beyond Zero.” We’ve already seen one proper production model under this new umbrella — the BZ4X, which will spawn a unique Lexus variant, the RZ,
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-lexus-electric-sports-car-teaser-preview/
TOYOTA REVEALS ASTOUNDING LINEUP OF FUTURE ELECTRIC CARS FOR ‘BEYOND ZERO’ BRAND AND MORE
– They include a BZ small crossover, a BZ compact SUV, a BZ sedan and a BZ large SUV. It’s clear these vehicles are concepts or design studies for now, with blacked-out windows to hide their lack of real interiors.
– another eight electric cars to fill out this line with some exciting potential cars. There are two commercial vehicles, called the Mid Box and Micro Box, and two more SUVs. One appears on the smaller side with the name “Small SUEV” and the other looks closer to the BZ compact SUV concept, though it just wears a “Crossover EV” name.
– Toyota showed what sure looks like a successor to the beloved FJ Cruiser called the Compact Cruiser EV concept. The boxy off-road SUV wears a familiar shade of blue to the departed Jeep Wrangler rival and even rocks similar design language to the previous SUV. There’s also the Pickup EV, which looks a lot like today’s Tacoma with minimal changes and — are you ready for this? — a sports car.
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-reveals-future-electric-cars-beyond-zero/
TOYOTA SHIFTS GEARS WITH MAJOR INVESTMENT IN ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– In November, Toyota declined to join a pledge signed by six major carmakers, including General Motors, and Ford Motor Co. to phase out fossil fuel cars by 2040. It argued that not all parts of the world would be ready to transition to green cars by then.
– In addition to battery EVs, Toyota also builds hydrogen fuel cell cars, and is developing internal combustion engines that run on hydrogen fuel, although it has not said when it might commercialize the technology.
– Toyota recently promised that it will be ready to sell only zero-emission cars in Europe by 2035
Original Source : https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/12/14/business/corporate-business/toyota-30-ev-models-2030/
HERE’S HOW MUCH HYUNDAI’S COOL, NEW IONIQ 5 EV WILL COST
– The cheapest way to get an Ioniq 5 will be the 125 kW (168 hp) rear-wheel drive SE Standard Range model with the smaller 58 kWh battery pack. This will cost $39,700 before the IRS 30D tax credit and any local incentives. However, as is nearly always the case with a new car regardless of OEM, if you want the cheapest one, you need to be prepared to wait, as it will only become available in spring 2022.
– The cheapest long-range Ioniq 5 is the $43,650 RWD SE, then there’s the $45,900 Ioniq 5 SEL, followed by $50,600 Ioniq 5 Limited.
If you prefer more power and don’t mind charging slightly more often, that version of the Ioniq 5 SE starts at $47,150, with the AWD Ioniq 5 SEL at $49,900 and the AWD Ioniq 5 Limited at $54,500.
Original Source : https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/12/heres-how-much-hyundais-cool-new-ioniq-5-ev-will-cost/
THE ‘CHEAP’ HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 UNDERCUTS ALMOST ALL EV CROSSOVERS/SUVS
– This entry-level version has 220 miles of EPA range, a 125 kW electric motor for rear-wheel-drive, and, most importantly, an MSRP of $39,700 (+$1,225 DST), which after deducting the $7,500 federal tax credit will turn into effectively $33,425. Once we checked the list of available EVs, it turns out that it’s one of the least expensive electric crossovers/SUVs.
– An interesting thing is that the Hyundai Ioniq 5 SR undercuts the base Ford Mustang Mach-E on price (by $4,195), but is expected to deliver only a slightly lower range, despite the battery being much smaller. On the other hand, the Ford Mustang Mach-E should be much quicker. Hyundai Ioniq 5 will fast charge at a higher rate.
– Here is another surprise, the entry-level Hyundai Ioniq 5 is marginally less expensive than the Volkswagen ID.4 (we don’t have prices for the 2022 model year yet). However, that’s only because the ID.4 does not have its lower-spec trims on the market yet (like the 62 kWh battery version). It also has noticeably more range and power.
– he Hyundai Ioniq 5 SR is $200 less expensive than the base Kia Niro EV. And the EPA range is only slightly lower.
– The poor Chevrolet Bolt EUV is temporarily out of production, but even if it was being produced, it would not be eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit. It means that after deducting the tax credit, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 SR would be, on paper, less expensive. Pretty surprising anomaly considering how much smaller the Bolt EUV is.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/554563/cheap-hyundai-ioniq5-price-comparison/amp/
NEW 2022 CUPRA BORN ELECTRIC CAR: SPECS, DETAILS AND PRICES
– Cupra has announced pricing for the first version of its Born electric family hatchback to go on sale, as well as new trim level details. Prices will start from £33,735, though extra variants will be added to the range in time.
– Eventually, the Born range will consist of four models, however, the mid-range variant which uses 58kWh battery and 201bhp electric motor is the only one you can order for the time being. This particular version has a range of 263 miles, while 0-62mph takes 7.3 seconds.
– Prices start from £33,735 for the 58kWh/201bhp Born in V1 trim, with standard equipment including 18-inch alloy wheels, LED headlights, a 12-inch central infotainment screen, reversing camera and safety systems like lane assist and tiredness recognition.
Original Source : https://www.drivingelectric.com/cupra/born/776/new-2022-cupra-born-electric-car-specs-details-and-prices
CONVENIENT, NETWORKED AND SUSTAINABLE: NEW SOLUTIONS FOR CHARGING ELECTRIC VOLKSWAGEN MODELS
– Volkswagen is the first high-volume manufacturer to offer its customers a universal and seamless eco-system for charging their electric models. The service with the name We Charge will be enhanced step-by-step to offer higher performance, convenience and sustainability – with new charging solutions for home and mobile charging, new functions in the ID. models and soon also with the technology of bidirectional charging.
– In 2022, Volkswagen’s ID. models will already be provided with a new function that will replace the current charging card authentication process to make charging at fast charging stations even simpler. Here, encrypted and secure communication in accordance with the ISO 15118 standard will be started between the car and charging station as soon as the customer plugs in the charging cable. This authentication process takes just a few seconds before charging starts. Billing then functions in the usual way via the We Charge contract. In 2022, Plug & Charge will be possible in the networks of Ionity, Aral, bp as well as EON. Discussions are ongoing with other major partners.
– the potential is even greater in combination with bidirectional charging – a ground-breaking technology about to be launched at Volkswagen: the electric cars can feed electricity they don’t need into the customer’s home network (vehicle-to-home) and in the future they will also provide electricity to stabilise the electricity grid. All ID. models with a 77 kWh battery will have this capability in future. An over-the-air update rolled out gradually will be used to make this available for vehicles already delivered as well. A special DC BiDi wallbox will be used for the power transfer and communication.
– all ID. models will leave the production line with a new software version that offers significant benefits for charging. The maximum power rating for the 77-kWh battery will increase from 125 to 135 kW (or 150 kW for the ID.5 GTX02). This will cut the charging time by up to nine minutes when charging from 5 to 80 percent SOC (state of charge). These improvements will be activated in already delivered customer vehicles by means of a software update in the near future. There is also a new Battery Care Mode that ensures maximum protection of the battery. This restricts the upper charge level (SOC) to 80 percent.
Original Source : https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/convenient-networked-and-sustainable-new-solutions-for-charging-electric-volkswagen-models-7695
LUCID MOTORS CEO SEES $25,000 ELECTRIC CARS IN 4 YEARS
– Lucid Motors CEO Peter Rawlinson doesn’t “want to be doing wealthy people’s cars,” he told “Axios on HBO” in an interview that aired Sunday.
– “The biggest challenge I’ve always faced was getting money, not going bankrupt, having that investment as a startup to develop this,” Rawlinson said, pointing to Lucid’s debut model.
– “Start with this, but my passion: get this down from $169,000 to under $70,000 by the end of next year.”
– “Efficiency’s the key, and our technology will drive down the (battery) pack size in this car. And driving the pack size will drive down the cost. And that’s where we get to a $25,000 car. And I think that could come three to four years from now.”
– But it likely won’t be a $25,000 Lucid, Rawlinson also tells Axios. Instead, it will be other brands, selling high-volume models with smaller, cheaper battery packs based on Lucid’s efficiency breakthroughs.
Original Source : https://www.axios.com/lucid-motors-affordable-electric-cars-967f69c7-98c5-4737-8449-4e17fd7bca9b.html
YOU CAN PLAY SONIC THE HEDGEHOG IN TESLAS
– Tesla cars just got a little bit faster, as the electric car company has a new partnership with Sega to bring the Blue Blur himself to its line of vehicles. Sega and Tesla announced that 1991’s Sonic the Hedgehog is coming to Tesla’s in-car gaming system.
– To play games on the Tesla in-car screen, owners just need to plug in a USB controller. Just don’t try to play while you’re driving. Sonic the Hedgehog joins Tesla’s growing lineup of games, which includes Cuphead, and The Witcher 3 on the new Tesla Model X and Model S cars.
– The original game has been released on most platforms under the sun, from modern gaming consoles, to iPod Nano, to iOS and Android, and now, Tesla cars.
Original Source : https://www.ign.com/articles/sonic-the-hedgehog-teslas
ABB’S TERRA 360 ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGER MAKES MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA DEBUT
– As the UAE accelerates its efforts to champion more sustainable modes of transport, ABB hosted its ‘Future of E-Mobility’ event at Expo 2020 Dubai’s Sweden Pavilion.
– Senior representatives from ABB, Volvo Bus Corporation, Porsche and the Clean Energy Business Council (CEBC) joined to share their experiences within the automotive and transport sectors – exploring progress made to date and the key steps required for the e-mobility sector to continue thriving.
– This week at the Sweden Pavilion at Expo 2020 Dubai, ABB’s Terra 360 electric vehicle charger made its Middle East and Africa debut.
– As the fastest all-in-one charger currently on the market, the Terra 360 can deliver up to 360 kW of power
– With its ability to charge 4 vehicles simultaneously and compatibility with both passenger and commercial vehicles, ABB believes that its Terra 360 makes the ideal solution for commercial fleets, retail areas and refueling stations alike.
Original Source : https://www.utilities-me.com/utilities/abbs-terra-360-electric-vehicle-charger-makes-middle-east-debut
ELECTRIC VEHICLES FOR MILITARY JUST A ‘MATTER OF TIMELINE
– With the Biden administration’s focus on clean energy, the CEO of BAE Systems, Inc., told Breaking Defense recently he believes that the US military’s adoption of electronic vehicles for its vast fleet is inevitable.
– The military trails behind the automotive industry in adopting electric or hybrid vehicles, but the Pentagon too is pushing for a net-zero emissions department by 2050. Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks said in November that includes a zero-emission non-tactical vehicle fleet.
– Of course, BAE Systems has a keen interest in the military adoption of hybrid or electric technology. The company already makes hybrid-electric propulsion systems for civilian buses, boats and heavy-duty trucks. Currently, the company is working with the Army to integrate a hybrid-electric drive onto the BAE-made Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicle.
Original Source : https://breakingdefense.com/2021/12/electric-vehicles-for-military-just-a-matter-of-timeline-bae-systems-ceo
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Has Covid-19 changed your electric car buying decisions in the last two years? Yes, no and why?
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL