If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 12th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
NEW NISSAN ARIYA ELECTRIC VEHICLE PRICED FROM £41K
– Nissan has announced that the all-new 100% electric Ariya coupé crossover, capable of up to 310 miles on a single charge, is now available to pre-order, with the first deliveries beginning summer 2022.
– The Ariya’s UK line-up features four versions: Advance (63kWh), Evolve (87kWh), e-4ORCE Evolve (87kWh) and e-4ORCE Performance (87kWh). All four versions of Ariya will be available at launch.
– ‘On the road’ prices start from £41,845 for Advance 63kWh versions, rising to £58,440 for the e-4ORCE Performance 87kWh model.
– The range-topping specification includes premium features such as a 10-speaker Bose sound system, digital Head Up Display, Intelligent Rear View Mirror, Electric Panoramic Sunroof, dynamic 20” alloy wheels with aero covers, and distinctive Blue Nappa leather seat fronts.
FORD STOPS TAKING RESERVATIONS FOR THE F-150 LIGHTNING
– Ford has stopped taking reservations for the all-electric F-150 Lightning as it prepares to start making and shipping the new pickup truck in the first half of 2022. The company says it has collected 200,000 refundable $100 deposits for the Lightning since it debuted in May.
– Ford hasn’t said how many it plans to build in 2022, but Automotive News reports that the automaker is looking to build as many as 80,000 in 2023. The company has publicly said it wants to build that many in 2024 after originally targeting just 40,000 annually and has been hiring new workers to handle the demand.
– That base model is supposed to offer around 230 miles of range and has a more bare-bones interior, including a 12-inch landscape touchscreen display that runs Sync 4. Higher trims will come with the same 15.5-inch vertical touchscreen from the Mustang Mach-E, and there’s an extended range battery option that can push the range to around 300 miles.
CHEVROLET SILVERADO E TO DEBUT NEXT MONTH, PRODUCTION TO BEGIN IN 2023
– The first all-electric 2023 Chevrolet Silverado E will be unveiled in January, with manufacturing scheduled to begin the following year.
– According to Automotive News, General Motors’ vice president for global product development Doug Park said the battery-powered Silverado would enter production in early 2023 when speaking at the AutoTech Conference this week. While revealing the model name as the Silverado E, Park confirmed the Chevrolet would make its debut at the Consumer Electronics Show next month.
– While full details of the Silverado E will be revealed in January, Park assured the audience the electric pick-up would offer a driving range of at least 300 miles – or 483 kilometres.
– Like the GMC Hummer EV – which uses the same Ultium electric platform as the Chevrolet – the Silverado E will adopt four-wheel-steering to greatly improve its turning circle.
– The Chevrolet Silverado E will be unveiled on January 5, 2022, with production set to begin in early 2023.
TESLA STOPS TAKING MODEL S AND MODEL X ORDERS OUTSIDE NORTH AMERICA
– Tesla announced to potential buyers today that it stopped taking new Model S and Model X orders outside North America. It now expects deliveries in other markets to start during the second half of 2022.
– The news comes from an email that Tesla started sending out to people who have Model S and Model X vehicles on order in Europe.
– We are contacting you regarding the timing of your Model X order. As we expand production capacity, the launch dates for markets outside of North America have been postponed. We will inform you of the delivery times through your Tesla account when production begins.
Your Model X is getting closer to delivery. We currently expect shipments outside of North America to begin in the second half of 2022.
In order to expedite the delivery of existing orders, including your Model X order, as much as possible, we are currently no longer accepting new orders for the Model S and Model X from markets outside of North America.
The price of your Model X will continue to be the same as it was when you placed your order, unless your vehicle configuration has been changed. To apply your order fee to another model, or to receive a full refund, request a call to speak directly to a Tesla representative.
LUCID AIR TOPS DOUG DEMURO’S BEST CARS LIST
– The top-of-the-line Lucid Air Dream Edition has been recently reviewed by Doug DeMuro, who finds the car to be one of the best on the market.
– Overall, the car received a Doug score of 73/100 points, which is the same as the Tesla Model S Plaid (see review here) and one more than the Porsche Taycan Turbo S.
– According to Doug DeMuro, the Lucid Air is the most luxurious among the three, while the Porsche Taycan Turbo S brings the most driving excitement
– Lucid Air Dream Edition specs: 118 kWh battery, 22 modules, 2170-type cylindrical cells (6,600)>900 V battery system
– Dream Edition Range (19″) – 520 miles (837 km)
– Dream Edition Performance (21″) – 2.42 seconds; quarter-mile in 9.67 seconds @149.87 mph
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/features/553679/lucid-air-doug-demuro-review/
2023 MINI COOPER S ELECTRIC LEAKED IN REVEALING IMAGES FROM CHINA
– Mini might have teased the next-generation Cooper at the beginning of last month, but the cat is now pretty much out of the bag. Instagram user wilcoblok has published surprisingly revealing images of a prototype devoid of any camouflage. These seem to be real photos rather than a professional Photoshop job and depict the hot hatch version judging by the S.
– we’re not seeing the traditional dual exhaust tips mounted in the middle. Corroborated with the lack of a traditional front grille, we have reasons to believe we’re actually looking at the electric Cooper S. The front-end design is quite familiar with the big and round circles of the headlights, although the lower lights have been removed to give the bumper a simplified look.
– The rear lights have a trapezoidal shape and feature an intricate black pattern reminding us of a spider’s web.
– . It doesn’t seem to have a digital instrument cluster, but it does boast a head-up display. Taking center stage is the big circle serving as the touchscreen from the infotainment system.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/553677/2023-mini-cooper-revealing-images/
UNION-FRIENDLY ELECTRIC CAR CREDIT PREDICTED TO PASS BUDGET TEST
– A labor-friendly electric vehicle tax credit is likely to withstand scrutiny by the Senate parliamentarian on whether it should be included in Democrats’ nearly $2 trillion tax and social spending plan, according to former Congressional budget staffers and policy analysts.
– If that happens, and opponents like Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) withhold support of the broader package, lawmakers will need to negotiate a change to the credit, although it’s unclear whether that will be necessary. The credit could also be chopped altogether.
– The massive measure is being advanced through a budget reconciliation process to allow Democrats to pass the bill with a simple Senate majority.
– A separate former senior Republican staff member said that there shouldn’t be a concern with the labor-friendly incentive under budget rules, considering it’s an amendment to an existing tax incentive. The $4,500 would be available in addition to a base credit of $7,500 available for most consumers purchasing an electric vehicle.
GENERAL MOTORS TO SOURCE RARE EARTH METALS DOMESTICALLY FOR ITS ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– General Motors is accelerating its shift away from China and other foreign sources for the key raw materials and components needed for the millions of battery-electric vehicles it plans to roll out over the coming decade.
– GM announced the latest of more than a dozen deals Thursday, saying it will purchase rare earth metals from the only remaining commercial mine in the U.S., while two new plants will provide the high-power magnets needed for its electric vehicle motors. Currently, finished magnets and raw materials, such as neodymium, are sourced largely from China.
– the two deals are expected to create “hundreds” of jobs and provide enough magnets for all the motors GM will need going forward.
– Previous deals have laid out plans for GM to source raw minerals to finished components from suppliers in the U.S. and Canada. That’s a critical move, said analyst Stephanie Brinley of IHS Markit. It would not only reduce dependence on potentially unreliable trade partners, like China, but also minimize the risk of supply chain disruptions.
MERCEDES EQE WAGON READY TO FIGHT PORSCHE TAYCAN CROSS TURISMO
– German publication Auto Zeitung dropped a boatload of information in its latest magazine featuring info on seven new Mercedes vehicles, though there are two that we’re particularly interested in.
– After a quick look at the company’s new 48-volt electric turbocharger (revs to 170,000) that will help the next C-Class along, we get into the new Mercedes CLE, the new Mercedes EQE Shooting Brake, and a little more info on EQE AMG sedan.
– What is a surprise is that AZ says the EQE AMG will be followed by a Shooting Brake version, or wagon, as we call them here in the US. It will be about the size of the current E-Class at 194 inches and have a great all-electric range of 410 miles.
Original Source : https://carbuzz.com/news/mercedes-set-to-unveil-new-electric-wagon
TESLA GIGA SHANGHAI PRODUCED OVER 400K VEHICLES IN 11 MONTHS OF 2021
– Tesla Giga Shanghai has produced over 400,000 vehicles in the first 11 months of 2021, moving confidently towards the set targets. This number of vehicles sold shows that the factory has increased its production figures by 242% compared to the same period last year.
– Tesla Giga Shanghai continues to actively ramp up its production to meet the rapidly growing demand for the manufacturer’s electric vehicles. Although Tesla did not give production forecasts for 2021, reports emerged earlier this year that Giga Shanghai will aim to produce 450,000 vehicles.
– As soon as the delivery data for November was released, it became clear that in the first 11 months of this year, Tesla Giga Shanghai delivered 413,283 vehicles, up 242% from the same period last year. Thus, the factory will easily exceed the forecast that was made at the beginning of the year.
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Has Covid-19 changed your electric car buying decisions in the last two years? Yes, no and why?
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL