If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 10th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
VOLKSWAGEN RAMPS UP E-MOBILITY SPENDING TO $59 BLN BY 2026
– Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) on Thursday said it would ramp up spending for battery-powered electric vehicles by around 50% to 52 billion euros ($59 billion) by 2026 as part of the group’s far-reaching transformation.
– The investment is part of Volkswagen’s new revolving 5-year spending plan, which foresees total investments of 159 billion euros in the 2022-2026 period, compared with 150 billion for the 2021-2025 period.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/volkswagen-ramps-up-e-mobility-spending-59-bln-by-2026-2021-12-09/
DIESS KEEPS JOB AS VW INCREASES EV SPENDING TO CATCH TESLA
– VW Group’s supervisory board presented its annual update to the company’s five-year investment plan on Thursday, outlining investments of 159 billion euros ($180 billion), up from 150 billion euros last year, and electrifying more of VW’s sites across Europe.
– “We are becoming a battery manufacturer, a charging infrastructure manager, software is playing a more dominant role … we are developing new business activities with an unbelievable dimension for us,” Diess said, adding the company expected to generate 20 billion euros of revenue by 2030 from its battery division alone.
– In a nod to worker representatives keen to keep a strong power base at home, VW confirmed a plan to add a new electric car factory near its global headquarters in Wolfsburg. The site will produce some 250,000 vehicles as part of the Trinity project.
– VW brand chief Ralf Brandstaetter will take over the group’s China business from Diess on Aug. 1.
– Diess will add responsibility for the company’s software unit Cariad
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/diess-keeps-job-vw-increases-ev-spending-catch-tesla
SKODA CEO THOMAS SCHÄFER TO BECOME VOLKSWAGEN BOSS
– Current Skoda boss Thomas Schäfer will switch over to head up Volkswagen next year as part of a major reshuffle of the Volkswagen Group management team.
– Schäfer only took over as Skoda chairman in August last year, having previously served as the head of the VW Group’s South African operation. He will take up his new role as Volkswagen’s chief operating officer from 1 April next year.
– While the moves announced by the supervisory board are significant, they are not as extensive as had been rumoured, including reports that Diess could be shifted from his post as chairman of the board.
Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-finance-and-corporate/skoda-ceo-thomas-sch%C3%A4fer-become-volkswagen-boss
VOLKSWAGEN WILL HAVE AN ID. CALIFORNIA: ELECTRIC CAMPERVAN, ANYONE?
– Volkswagen anticipated today the name of another car based on the electric van: ID. California.
– Volkswagen said that Hanover would make the ID. California
– American websites are already betting on an electric campervan, the shape in which the original VW Bus made its fame in the U.S. in the 1960s and, more specifically, in California. It will not be as roomy as modern campervans, but the possible 4.94 meters (194.5 inches) of length will make it one of the biggest MEB products around.
– Apart from being produced in Hanover, the ID. California and the ID. BUZZ AD (whatever AD means) will also be made in Chattanooga starting in 2022. Volkswagen’s primary market for the electric van and its derivatives will be the U.S.
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-will-have-an-id-california-electric-campervan-anyone-176166.html
NEW BMW I3 SEDAN MAKES EARLY DEBUT IN CHINA AS ELECTRIC 3 SERIES
– China is home to the world’s largest automotive market, and as such, automakers are keen to have a plethora of new vehicles in the region available for buyers. Entering that market sometimes leads to unexpected new-vehicle reveals through China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, and that seems to be the case here with the new BMW i3 sedan.
– This looks like a tweaked BMW 3 Series and is nothing like the small i3 hatchback we currently know. Nevertheless, photos clearly show an i3 badge on the rear, along with eDrive 35L branding. What does all of this mean?
– China’s MIIT website also lists some statistics including a power output of 250 kilowatts. That translates to 335 horsepower, and this car is also the long-wheelbase version so that likely explains the 35L nomenclature. As for eDrive, that almost certainly denotes this particular model as rear-wheel-drive only instead of all-wheel drive.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/553272/bmw-i3-sedan-reveal-china/
MERCEDES BEATS TESLA TO ‘LEVEL 3’ AUTONOMY
– Fully autonomous driving is a reality and, contrary to what you may have thought, it’s not on a Tesla. Mercedes-Benz is the first to launch a Level 3 autonomous driving system that meets the UN-R157 regulation. Both the S-Class and the EQS have met type approval, so anyone who buys either with the new Drive Pilot system, which will be available in the first half of 2022, can legally “take their mind off the traffic and focus on certain secondary activities, be it communicating with colleagues via In-Car Office, surfing the internet or relaxing while watching a film.”
– Firstly, the system is only type approved by the German Federal Motor Transport Authority. Germany led the way in autonomous driving by opening up its Road Traffic Act (StVG) for Level 3 systems in 2017. And there are many limitations imposed on Drive Pilot. Initially it will be available on 13,191 kilometres of German Autobahn and only at speeds below 37mph – so when there’s heavy congestion, basically.
– in addition to the sensors that allow the current levels of assisted driving, Drive Pilot uses LiDAR to ‘see’ its surrounding. A camera in the rear window and microphones watch out for approaching emergency vehicles, and there’s a ‘wetness’ sensor in the wheel arch that monitors the road conditions. It also monitors its position using high-accuracy GPS that works in centimetres rather than the usual metres. Along with the live information from its own sensors, the car also has access to a 3D mapping data.
Original Source : https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/mercedes-beats-tesla-to-level-3-autonomy/45049
SVOLT TO INCREASE BATTERY PRODUCTION CAPACITY T0 600 GWH BY 2025
– The battery cell manufacturer SVOLT, which emerged from the Chinese carmaker Great Wall, wants to significantly increase its production capacities planned for 2025 – from the previously announced 320 GWh to 600 GWh per year by this deadline.
– In addition to the annual production capacity target of 600 GWh from 2025 (for comparison: the current largest domestic competitor CATL plans 520 GWh from 2025), SVOLT published the figure of 400 GWh as the status of the order backlog in 2025 (orders from the passenger car sector only). It also said that it was in the process of building eight production sites with a total capacity of 297 GWh per year.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/12/09/svolt-to-increase-battery-production-capacity-t0-600-gwh-by-2025/
SVOLT ENERGY AIMS TO BECOME THE BIGGEST BATTERY CELL MAKER BY 2025
– Notice that 600 GWh is enough to produce 10 million battery packs of 60 kWh each or even 12 million if the capacity is 50 kWh. I think that a 60 kWh battery is the sweet spot for most efficient passenger electric cars that carry 5 people. On average 70 million cars are sold every year globally.
– The short blade batteries will be available in different chemistries, such as the cobalt-free chemistries LFP and NMx, but also more energy dense chemistries such as NCM or NCMA.
– Finally, SVOLT stated that its L600-NCM “Jelly Battery” will be extremely safe and pass even the puncture test without smoke or fire. SVOLT also claims an energy density of 230 Wh/kg at the battery pack level thanks to the CTP (cell-to-pack) approach, which is impressive.
– Upcoming European battery cell makers should be taking notes and copy SVOLT’s strategy, instead of wasting resources with multiple prototypes of cylindrical and pouch cells designed to be used in modules. If you arrive late to the party, at least do your homework…
Original Source : https://pushevs.com/2021/12/09/svolt-energy-aims-to-become-the-biggest-battery-cell-maker-by-2025/
2022 JEEP WRANGLER NOW ONLY AVAILABLE AS PLUG-IN HYBRID IN EUROPE
– Orders for the new Jeep Wrangler 4xe model year 2022 are now opened in Jeep showrooms in Italy, Spain, Belgium and Serbia and will progressively open across Europe during the month of December.
– With the introduction of the 2022 model year, 100 percent of the Wrangler range in Europe is offered in the 4xe plug-in hybrid variant, only.
Original Source : https://electriccarsreport.com/2021/12/2022-jeep-wrangler-now-only-available-as-plug-in-hybrid-in-europe/
FORD KUGA DIESEL MODELS AXED
– The Ford Kuga is now petrol-only, with Ford confirming it has dropped the 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre EcoBlue diesel engines from the line-up.
– Slow diesel sales and the increasing popularity of electrified powertrains means that Ford is streamlining its range, although it is currently reviewing whether diesel power has a future in the Kuga, according to a Ford spokesperson.
– The Kuga follows the Fiesta hatchback in cutting out diesel
Original Source : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/kuga/356849/ford-kuga-diesel-models-axed
TESLA MODEL S PLAID CAN’T GO 200 MPH. AND YOU WOULDN’T WANT TO
– Among the many claims Tesla has made for the 1020-hp Model S Plaid is that it is capable of 200 mph. That’s a rarefied velocity for any car, but especially so for an EV, as they tend to be limited by the maximum rotational speed of the electric motors.
– the company has a fix for getting its motors to spin faster: carbon-sleeved rotors that enable rotational speeds up to a claimed 20,000 rpm, or about 25 percent faster than before.
– But while our test of the Plaid revealed its tremendous acceleration capability—
– it topped out at a governed 162 mph.
– the Model S’s high-speed behavior, which, frankly, was terrifying. It wanders in its lane, with lots of slop on center in the steering that doesn’t have anything to do with the yoke. Putting it in the sport steering setting helped a little, but it’s like Tesla neglected to dial in its high-speed steering and handling behavior. This is not what you want when traveling two-thirds the distance of a football field every second.
– Perhaps the real reason Tesla hasn’t yet unleashed the Plaid’s 200-mph capability is to avoid overtaxing the brakes. Even in our standard braking tests—five consecutive stops from 70 mph, and three from 100 mph with more space between—the Plaid’s brake hardware was already starting to cry uncle.
– Tesla has now said a $20,000 carbon-ceramic brake package is in the works for the Model S Plaid. Promised by mid-2022, this pricey upgrade includes substantially larger (and wider) rotors front and rear.
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38453459/tesla-model-s-plaid-top-speed-200-mph
TESLA DOUBLES DOWN ON SYSTEM TO PREVENT GAS CARS ‘ICEING’ SUPERCHARGERS
– Tesla is doubling down on a system to prevent people from blocking or “ICEing” Supercharger stalls and even integrates it into its mobile app.
– In 2019, it started to deploy floor locking devices that pop up from the ground at some new Supercharging stations:
– In recent weeks, Tesla appears to be doubling down on this system.
The devices started to be implemented at every new charging station that Tesla deployed in China.
– They did not appear in the app, but it turns out that they do in China where Tesla now lets drivers unlock the devices directly from the app:
– Following this new integration, it looks like Tesla is now implementing the system at all new Supercharger stations in China.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2021/12/09/tesla-system-prevent-gas-cars-iceing-superchargers-integrates-app
LUCID AIR PRODUCTION SOFTWARE GETS TESTED, SHOWS INTERESTING QUIRKS
– some consumer reviews of the Air are now being shared online. One of the most notable to date, posted by the EV Nomads – Branden & Kalie channel on YouTube, featured a thorough walkthrough of the Lucid Air’s infotainment system in its production form.
– During the EV enthusiasts’ tests, the Lucid Air’s navigation proved a bit challenging to use, partly due to the system’s strange refusal to display or detect a nearby Electrify America charger.
– Despite these quirks, the Lucid Air’s infotainment system seemed to be relatively smooth to use overall. When the EV advocate accessed the Air’s themes and massage features, for example, the infotainment system’s response was fairly quick. Overall, the walkthrough of the Lucid Air’s infotainment system suggests that the vehicle’s software is still a work in progress, as it still has areas of improvement.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/lucid-air-production-software-navigation-review-video/
LG ENERGY SOLUTION REVIEWS $2B EV BATTERY PLANT IN ONTARIO
– LG Energy Solution said Thursday it is mulling a new electric vehicle battery plant worth $2 billion in the Canadian province of Ontario.
– The envisioned Ontario plant is part of LG Energy Solution’s plan to invest 5.6 trillion won ($4.76 billion) in North America by 2024 and secure an additional annual production capacity of 55 gigawatt-hours in the region.
– General Motors’ electric vehicle factory is located in Ontario, where the automaker’s BrightDrop EV600 is manufactured. Through its new Ontario battery factory, LG Energy Solution is expected to expand its partnership with GM beyond the US. Ultium Cells, a joint venture formed by LG Energy Solution and GM, are currently building two battery plants — one in Tennessee and one in Ohio — with a combined capacity of 80 gigawatt-hours.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20211209000645
SYNTHETIC GASOLINE EMITS JUST AS MUCH POLLUTION AS REGULAR GAS
– Cars powered by synthetic fuel produce the same amount of nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions as cars burning conventional gasoline, according to the environmental group Transport & Environment (T&E).
– That conclusion is based on tests conducted by research organization IFP Energies Nouvelles on behalf of T&E, according to a group press release. The tests compared three synthetic fuel blends with the E10 fuel (a mix of 90% gasoline and 10% ethanol) dispensed from most European Union pumps.
– Testing also found much higher levels of carbon dioxide and ammonia emissions from the synthetic fuels, according to T&E. Particulate emissions were lower than conventional gasoline, but still quite significant, the group said.
– T&E previously cautioned EU regulators about including synthetic fuels, which some automakers have rallied for, saying that ownership costs for synthetic-fueled vehicles will be much higher than for gasoline ones.
– That’s not the only potential drawback to synthetic fuels. While they are supposed to be carbon neutral, a study published earlier this year found that synthetic-fueled vehicles may cause more carbon emissions than battery-electric vehicles, in part because producing synthetic fuels requires more electricity than charging a fleet of EVs.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1134391_synthetic-gasoline-emits-just-as-much-pollution-as-regular-gas-tests-find
GRIDSERVE TO ROLL OUT BIGGEST EV CHARGING UPGRADE IN UK HISTORY
– Gridserve will roll out the biggest upgrade of motorway electric vehicle (EV) charging points in UK history, as the company announced that 20 electric hubs will be installed across the country from March.
– Each hub will feature between 6 and 12 350kW chargers, adding up to 100 miles of range. Gridserve will also build two electric forecourts – one at Gatwick airport and the other in Norwich – that will open in the autumn.
Original Source : https://www.cityam.com/gridserve-to-roll-out-biggest-ev-charging-upgrade-in-uk-history
GRIDSERVE LAYS CLAIM TO BIGGEST MOTORWAY EV CHARGING UPGRADE IN UK HISTORY | CURRENT NEWS
– The new Gatwick Electric Forecourt is to be the first in the world to be hosted at an international airport. Located on the Ring Road South approach to Gatwick’s South Terminal and adjacent to the M23, the Forecourt will enable 36 EVs to be charged simultaneously with high-power chargers that can deliver 350kW of charging power.
– The site is due to open in autumn 2022, with a café, waiting lounge with free WiFi, convenience supermarket, children’s play area and a dedicated educational space to increase EV awareness also on site.
Original Source : https://www.current-news.co.uk/news/gridserve-lays-claim-to-biggest-motorway-ev-charging-upgrade-in-uk-history
TRITIUM PLUGS INTO DC TO PRODUCE NEW EV FAST CHARGERS THAT WILL REDUCE COSTS
– Brisbane-based fast charger manufacturer Tritium has unveiled a new “groundbreaking” line of EV fast chargers that it is will claim are designed for more cost-effective operations and infrastructure deployment. The new Tritium PKM line of fast charging solutions is able to transmit power across the system at 950V DC rather than 400V AC, which reduces the gauge of cabling in half and can lead to up to tens of thousands of dollars in savings for small charging sistes, and up to hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings for large charging sites.
– It will also grant charge point operators the freedom to share one central source of converted DC power around their site. This means less equipment is needed, enabling operators to deploy more charging stations and increase the number of fast chargers available for EV drivers.
Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2021/12/09/tritium-plugs-into-dc-to-produce-new-ev-fast-chargers-that-will-reduce-costs
HUBJECT & DCS LAUNCH PLUG&CHARGE COOPERATION
– Hubject and Digital Charging Solutions (DCS) have partnered to offer Plug&Charge to the ISO 15118 standard to their customers in the European market.
– Hubject, as you know, operates the Plug&Charge ecosystem, specifically the data and certificate pools and the V2G PKI. It is precisely these Hubject services that DCS will now use and offer to its customers.
– Digital Charging Solutions not only offers its own charging service, but is primarily known as the operator of the charging services of numerous car manufacturers – such as BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche or Hyundai. DCS was once founded as a pure BMW subsidiary; in the meantime BMW, Daimler and the mineral oil company BP each hold a third of the shares
CURRENT± PREDICTS: THE ENERGY TRANSITION IN 2022
By Ian Johnston, Osprey Charging Network:
– 2021 has shown that we can expect to see demand for EVs far out-stretch supply. The significant tax and CSR benefits mean that a large majority of this will be in the company car fleet market, where some leasing companies have reported 90% of orders being for BEVs. This places a huge responsibility and market opportunity on the shoulders of the eMSPs who will look to establish themselves as the ‘fuel cards’ of the future.
– The huge increase in EV adoption has seen queues starting to form at more traditional EV infrastructure assets. The race is therefore now on to deliver sites with a much greater number of chargers, with higher-power charging speeds, whilst an increasingly complex and competitive land grab for grid is played out. Innovation in infrastructure will be key, and 2022 will see hardware manufacturers and charging networks launching new technologies in load balancing, dynamic charging and battery back-ups to try to edge ahead of the competition.
– Players in the EV infrastructure market have had it easy so far. The customer base has comprised early adopters with a high level of technical appreciation and environmental principal, which results in greater patience and support for the early-stage infrastructure. 2022 will see the number of ‘mass market’ EV drivers overtake those early adopters, and will bring an understandable expectation that charging is simple and works every time.
Original Source : https://www.current-news.co.uk/news/current-predicts-the-energy-transition-in-2022-part-two
THE TRICKY BUSINESS OF CHARGING ELECTRIC CARS
– Governments should learn from telecoms. Most countries auction or issue a limited number of licences or spectrum rights to firms to run regional and national mobile networks. In return the firms have to build networks according to a schedule, offer universal coverage and compete with each other. Regulators set rules to allow roaming between them.
– This approach has its flaws. Poorly designed auctions in Eur ope left firms with too much debt, and competition has become less intense in America. But in the past two decades the world has marshalled over $4trn of spending on telecoms infrastructure. And the mobile phone has turned from a shiny object for rich people into something in everyone’s pocket. The bright sparks running climate policy should take note.
Original Source : https://www.economist.com/leaders/2021/12/11/the-tricky-business-of-charging-electric-cars
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Which EV makers are on Santa’s naughty or nice lists – and tell me why!
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL