If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 7th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
BMW HITS 1 MLN EV SALES, TARGETS 2 MLN FULLY ELECTRIC SALES BY 2025
– BMW (BMWG.DE) has sold its one millionth electric vehicle (EV) – including purely electric and hybrid vehicles – and plans to reach two million sales of purely electric vehicles by 2025, the German carmaker said on Tuesday.
– Around 70% of EVs sold so far were hybrids, board member Pieter Nota said in a roundtable with journalists, adding that the company believed hybrid models would continue to play an important role in particular for customers without easy access to chargers.
– BMW has long stood for investing in a range of technologies rather than focusing purely on battery-electric cars to reduce emissions, and opposes flat-out bans on purchasing combustion engine cars.
– The carmaker aims for at least 50% of global sales to be fully electric by 2030, but has repeated on numerous occasions that lacking charging infrastructure was a major barrier to quicker consumer uptake of electric vehicles.
POLESTAR 2 ELECTRIC CAR REVEALS PAID DOWNLOAD TO ADD HORSEPOWER
– Polestar has released a downloadable over-the-air (OTA) update for all long-range dual-motor versions of the Polestar 2. The electric automaker’s latest performance software upgrade unlocks more horsepower and nippier acceleration, good things to have in a premium electric performance car.
– Polestar has already released numerous software updates for the 2, but most of them had something to do with convenience features and range/charging improvements. The latest software upgrade is the first time Polestar applies its tuning magic to an all-electric model.
– It adds 67 more horsepower and around 15 torque, boosting the power output to 470 horsepower and 502 pound-feet of torque. What’s more, the power boost has given the Polestar nippier acceleration. According to the automaker, accelerating from zero to 60 mph now only takes 4.4-seconds, better than the outdated software’s 4.7-seconds.
– Equipped with a 78 kWh battery, Polestar 2 Long Range Dual Motor achieves an EPA-rated 233 miles of range. It has an 11 kW onboard charger and supports up to 150 kW of DC fast charging.
– It starts at around €1,000 ($1,130) and is currently available to download in Europe, including the UK, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland, Denmark, Germany, Austria, and Finland. Meanwhile, Canadian and US owners can avail of the OTA update starting early next year.
TESLA MODEL 3 POLICE PATROL CAR TEST RESULTS SHOW OVER 320 KM OF RANGE
– US EV giant Tesla has released findings from its nine-month test program of a Model 3 electric vehicle that the automaker had custom-built as a police patrol car in the UK.
– After testing the vehicle for nine months, Tesla’s account manager and emergency services lead posted the results of the Model 3 police patrol car on Linkedin.
– The auxiliary systems of the vehicle have minimal impact on its range as the Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) running for 3 hours would take less than a few mile of range off the car while the LED lights could run for days off the battery pack.
– The integrated lights inside the car cabin does not affect the vehicle’s drag coefficiency and there is no requirement of holes to be drilled into the roof of the vehicle which otherwise would have a negative affect on the cars residual values.
FORD CAPS F-150 LIGHTNING RESERVATIONS NEAR 200,000 AS PRODUCTION NEARS
– Ford Motor Co. on Wednesday stopped taking reservations for the upcoming F-150 Lightning electric pickup as it prepares to open its order bank for the truck next month.
– The spokeswoman confirmed the end of the Lightning reservation system after a Ford customer who learned the news from a dealer shared it on an F-150 forum earlier Wednesday.
Ford has not said how many Lightnings it will build initially, although it plans to ramp up to an annual rate of 80,000 in 2024, the vehicle’s second full year of production.
– Ford plans to implement a “waved invitation approach” to convert reservations to orders at staggered dates beginning in January, the spokeswoman said. It’s unclear how many waves there will be or how many customers will be part of each wave.
– Farley told Automotive News last month that he thinks more than 80 percent of Lightning reservation holders will go through with buying the truck, topping the roughly 65 percent reservation-to-sales conversion rate seen for the Bronco SUV.
FORD PLANS A FULL-SIZE ELECTRIC TRUCK WITH “INCREDIBLY HIGH VOLUME”
– Ford is preparing to follow up the 2022 F-150 Lightning with another full-size electric pickup truck designed from the start for “incredibly high volume,”
– The new full-size truck, which likely won’t arrive for a few years, will have a new platform, and will be built at one of the massive new factories Ford recently announced, Farley said.
– Ford in September announced two massive complexes in Kentucky and Tennessee, with the Tennessee facility slated to build a next-generation truck on a dedicated EV platform. That differs from the already-revealed F-150 Lightning, which is based on the existing gasoline F-150.
CYBERTRUCK TO BE TESLA’S BEST PRODUCT TO DATE; KEY UPDATES TO BE REVEALED IN JANUARY
– The Tesla Cybertruck may be coming later than initially intended, but the wait for the product would be well worth it. This was according to CEO Elon Musk during a recent interview at the Wall Street Journal’s CEO Council Summit. According to Musk, the Cybertruck would likely be Tesla’s best product ever, though it would be extremely challenging to build.
– , Musk noted that the Cybertruck would showcase a lot of Tesla’s new technologies. This was hinted at recently when Musk revealed that the Cybertruck’s first iterations would feature a quad-motor setup, an option that is not available on any of the company’s vehicles today.
– Musk did note, however, that he would be announcing some key product updates on the upcoming Tesla earnings call in January. Musk seems quite particularly excited for the Cybertruck, stating that the all-electric pickup would likely be one of those rare products that only comes once in a while. Considering these sentiments, it appears that Tesla is really putting everything it has on the Cybertruck, and perhaps even a bit more.
TESLA’S MUSK SAYS BIDEN’S ELECTRIC VEHICLE BILL SHOULD NOT PASS CONGRESS
– Elon Musk said on Monday that Congress should not approve the Biden administration’s bill to boost subsidies for electric vehicles (EVs), saying the proposal would worsen the U.S. budget deficit.
– The billionaire entrepreneur is escalating criticism about the administration and Democrats for a proposal to give union-made, U.S.-built electric vehicles an additional $4,500 tax incentive. Tesla and foreign automakers do not have unions at their U.S. factories.
– “Honestly, it might be better if the bill doesn’t pass,” Musk said at the WSJ CEO Council Summit.Register now for FREE unlimited access to reuters.comRegister”I’m literally saying get rid of all subsidies,” he said, adding that the government should “get out of the way and not impede progress.”
– Since 2019, Tesla generated more than $3 billion revenue from selling regulatory credits to other automakers falling short of meeting government emissions standards.
– The company acquired its Fremont, Calif., assembly plant from the government as it restructured General Motors. Tesla also received a $465 million low-cost loan from the Department of Energy, which it repaid early.
- Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/teslas-musk-says-bidens-ev-bill-shouldnt-pass-2021-12-07/
U.S. TRANSPORTATION SECRETARY BUTTIGIEG REBUTS ELON MUSK ON FEDERAL ELECTRIC CAR INVESTMENTS
– U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg defended the Biden administration’s support for electric vehicles that Tesla Inc. chief executive officer Elon Musk dismissed as “unnecessary.”
“We think it’s very important to fund EV charging stations and to also make sure what’s in the next Build Back Better Act to buy down the price of electric vehicles,” Buttigieg said Tuesday at an event hosted by the Wall Street Journal.
– Buttigieg countered Tuesday that the Biden administration is committed making sure the transition to electric cars will happen quickly enough to meet the president’s climate goals, will be done in a way that is equitable and benefits U.S. workers.
BMW IX DELIVERIES BEGIN, FLAGSHIP EV ACHIEVES MILESTONE ALREADY
– Last week, BMW began deliveries of its i4 EV in Germany, and now the carmaker has also started handing over the iX pure electric SUV to customers. We suspect BMW has timed the start of iX deliveries so that the very first example also became BMW Group’s one-millionth electrified vehicle—or maybe it was just fate.
– The milestone vehicle, a BMW iX xDrive40, was handed over by Pieter Nota, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG responsible for Customer, Brands and Sales, to its owner at BMW Welt on December 6.
– In 2022, BMW will expand its electrified product lineup with fully electric versions of the 7 Series (the i7) and X1 (iX1). The BMW i5 will follow in 2023, with the next-generation MINI Countryman and all-electric Rolls-Royce Spectre to arrive later that year.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/552950/bmw-ix-1millionth-electrified-vehicle/
MAJOR U.S. UTILITIES PLAN COAST-TO-COAST, EV-CHARGING NETWORK
– More than 50 U.S. power companies have joined forces to build a coast-to-coast fast charging network for electric vehicles along major U.S. travel corridors by the end of 2023.
– Although the coalition did not set a numerical goal for charging station installations in this decade, it said its first actions would be to fill in gaps in the steadily growing EV charging infrastructure along the Interstate Highway System.
– Power companies may concentrate on extending high-voltage connections to existing or new charging locations along highway routes, such as convenience stores, gas stations or auto dealers. The charging units could be provided by private charging companies. In other cases, utilities may invest in complete charging station locations where there isn’t a customer available for hosting,
– The high-voltage fast charging infrastructure planned by the coalition is more efficient but also more expensive than some other proposals. The ICF International consulting firm estimates the costs to wire a residence for a Level 2 240-volt charger to be $1,200 — $500 for the charger and the rest for wiring and other circuit costs. A direct-current fast charger would have a $75,000 installation cost, it calculated.
PEUGEOT TO GO ALL-ELECTRIC IN EUROPE FROM 2030
– Peugeot will sell only electric cars in Europe from 2030 onwards, using four Stellantis EV platforms
– The decision was confirmed to the news outlet by Peugeot CEO Linda Jackson, who added that the French brand would continue to produce ICE models for other international markets.
– Peugeot’s switch to battery power will come later than for other manufacturers under the Stellantis umbrella, with DS planning to switch in 2026, Alfa Romeo in 2027 and Opel/Vauxhall in 2028.
– Jackson also confirmed that Peugeot’s entire line-up will be electrified by 2024, with the next-generation 3008 SUV to follow the 208 supermini and 2008 crossover’s lead in gaining an all-electric variant. Currently, 70% of the firm’s line-up is offered with an electrified powertrain.
TESLA HEAD ELON MUSK CLAPS BACK AFTER HE’S TROLLED FOR UNCONVENTIONAL HAIRCUT
– Tesla, Inc., owner and founder Elon Musk jokingly got into a battle on Twitter when some users started commenting Monday on his unconventional haircut.
– However, while the meeting may have been all business, the Tesla Owners of Silicon Valley noticed that Musk was rocking an unusual swooping hairdo for the event, and quoted the tweet by simply stating “nice haircut @elonmusk.”
– Musk, who is known for his numerous and sometimes bizarre interactions with other Twitter users, eventually replied to the tweet around half an hour later with a laughing emoji, adding that he “did it myself.”
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Which EV makers are on Santa’s naughty or nice lists – and tell me why!
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL