If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 6th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
1 MILLION+ NEW ZERO EMISSION ELECTRIC CARS REGISTERED IN EUROPE THIS YEAR
– According to latest Schmidt Automotive Research provisional data for November, Western Europe’s 18* market region, monitored by the European Electric Car Report each month, broke through the significant 1 million new BEV passenger car registrations landmark this year, recording a provisional 1.01 million units between January and November this year.
– With one month of the year remaining, Western Europe’s 18* markets are already outpacing previous full-year volumes by over 40 per cent and are likely to finish the year almost half a million units ahead of 2020’s full-year volumes (727,900).
– With PHEVs added to the equation, combined new plug-ins saw the 20 per cent milestone achieved and accounted for every fifth new car registered across the region this year.
Original Source : https://www.schmidtmatthias.de/post/more-than-1-million-new-zero-emission-electric-cars-registered-in-europe-this-year
EXCLUSIVE: FORD JOIN VW GROUP CO2 POOL IN THE UK
– Ford has joined Volkswagen Group’s UK-only CO2 pool for 2021. The United Kingdom is no longer part of the EU27 plus Norway and Iceland CO2 fleet average legislation that requires passenger car manufacturers to meet a defined mass-adjusted fleet average CO2 target of 95g/km in the old NEDC drive cycle or closer to 120g/km in the WLTP cycle up to 2025, which is being adopted in the UK-only, for the first year.
– With the UK’s departure from the EU and the following one year transition period, 2021 is the first year the UK is independently setting their own fleet average target, which has by and large been carried over from the EU’s system with only very minor changes.
– During the opening 10-months of the year, Ford achieved a market share of just 7.5 per cent of the total new passenger car market with 106,085 new registrations according to SMMT data. During the same period, the Volkswagen brand achieved 130,338 new registrations translating to a leading market share of 9.2%.
Original Source : https://www.schmidtmatthias.de/post/exclusive-ford-join-vw-group-co2-pool-in-the-uk
TESLA IS REPLACING FAULTY AUTPILOT CAMERAS IN SOME MODEL S, X, 3 CARS
– Tesla is replacing repeater cameras in some Model S, X and 3 vehicles made in the US because of faulty circuit boards inside, according to internal correspondence seen by CNBC.While the company has not yet issued a recall, it has authorized service employees to replace the faulty cameras for eligible Tesla owners on a goodwill basis — that is, on the company’s dime.When repeater cameras are not working properly, Tesla owners may see a blank or choppy video feed on their car’s main display, lose visibility into what’s happening in their vehicle’s blind spots, or get alerts that their Autopilot function is limited.
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/06/tesla-is-replacing-faulty-autpilot-cameras-in-some-model-s-x-3-cars.html
SMMT: BATTERY EV UPTAKE DOUBLES
– Plug-in vehicle demand continued to grow, however, with battery electric vehicles (BEVs) equating to 18.8% of the market, with 21,726 units – more than double compared with November 2020 – while plug-in hybrid vehicles’ (PHEVs) share grew to 9.3% or 10,796 units.
– Year-to-date, 1,538,585 new cars have been registered, of which 17.5% have been BEVs or PHEVs, meaning one in six new cars is capable of being plugged in.
Original Source : https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/smmt-battery-ev-uptake-doubles-but-new-car-market-remains-well-adrift-of-pre-pandemic-levels/
EV TRANSITION COULD COST 500,000 JOBS, SUPPLIER GROUP SAYS
– The transition to electric vehicles from internal combustion powertrains could mean the loss of up to 500,000 jobs at automotive suppliers in the EU by 2040, according to a new study by the industry trade group CLEPA.
– Those job losses will not be fully offset by a corresponding growth in EV components, which the group said would generate only 226,000 new positions, for a net loss of 275,000 jobs.
– According to the report, prepared by PwC for CLEPA, 1.7 million people work at automotive suppliers in Europe, with an additional 1.2 million jobs at automakers. There are also about 1.21 million jobs in activities such as tires, body manufacturing, chemicals, batteries and electrical equipment, and 3.2 million in support services.
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/suppliers/ev-transition-could-cost-500000-jobs-supplier-group-says
TESLA LOOKS TO EXPAND PILOT PROGRAM TO OPEN SUPERCHARGERS TO OTHER EVS IN NORWAY
– Tesla is looking to expand its pilot program testing the opening of the Supercharger network to electric vehicles from other automakers in Norway.
– Patrik Gayer, a manager of public policy and government relations at Tesla, sent a letter to Norway’s Ministry of Transport in which he indicated that Tesla is looking to expand the Supercharging pilot program to the country.
– There’s no mention of a specific timeline for expanding the program.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2021/12/06/tesla-expand-pilot-program-open-superchargers-other-evs-norway/
TESLA’S GIGA BERLIN EV FACTORY DELAYED AGAIN
– The long awaited and often delayed Giga Berlin production plant for American EV maker Tesla has been delayed once again, after a local governmental hearing was pushed out for the third time.
– The most recent delay – and theoretically the final delay before production at the plant can begin – has to do with water supply for the facility, which environmentalists claim has been approved without the necessary testing.
– The hearing follows a lawsuit filed by several environmental associations against the State Environmental Agency for approving increased water delivery rates to the Tesla factory back in 2020, who claim that the necessary testing was not conducted before such a permit was approved.
Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2021/12/07/teslas-giga-berlin-delayed-again/
VOLTEMPO ANNOUNCES 1,000 KW CHARGING SYSTEM
– EV technology developer Voltempo has launched a new charging system called HyperCharging, which it claims can deliver 1,000 kW of power, and can charge up to 24 vehicles at the same time.
– Voltempo has installed a demonstration version of the new HyperCharging system at its Technology Design Centre in Birmingham, UK. The first commercial installation will take place in 2022 at a charging hub at the Tyseley Energy Park in Birmingham.
Original Source : https://chargedevs.com/newswire/voltempo-announces-1000-kw-charging-system/
TOYOTA TO BUILD A ‘MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR’ EV BATTERY PLANT IN NORTH CAROLINA
– Japan’s Toyota Motor Corp is investing billions to build an EV battery factory in North Carolina, state officals announced on Monday. The plant will employ roughly 1,750 workers from 2025 to 2029, making it one of the largest manufacturing investments in the state’s history, according to North Carolina’s Commerce Department.
– North Carolina’s Economic Investment Committee approved an inventive package worth $438.7 million for Toyota at a special meeting in Raleigh on Monday.
– The facility will first focus on producing batteries for Toyota’s hybrid-electric vehicles.
Original Source : https://www.futurecar.com/5044/Toyota-to-Build-a-Multi-Billion-Dollar-EV-Battery-Plant-in-North-Carolina-its-First-in-the-U-S-
GERMAN CAR RENTAL COMPANY SIXT EXPANDS IN AUSTRALIA
– Sixt announces its expansion in Australia through a franchise with the National Roads & Motorists’ Association (NRMA), the largest national automobile club. The cooperation will immediately give the German company a 13% market share and introduce one of the largest EV rental fleets in Australia
– The start of the partnership between Sixt and the NRMA coincides with the initial integration of 40 MG EV and 25 Tesla Model 3. The companies claim this made it one of the largest electric vehicle fleets for hire in Australia today, which will be available at key metropolitan Sixt locations. Sixt mentions Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, specifically as well as airports.
– Sixt claims around a third of the international car-sharing fleet already consist of electric vehicles, including e-scooters and e-mopeds.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/12/05/german-car-rental-company-sixt-expands-in-australia/
FORD DEVELOPING ALL-NEW EV ON ALL-NEW FULL-SIZE PICKUP PLATFORM
– Ford CEO Jim Farley said in a recent interview with Automotive News, that the demand for EVs is two to three times what the company has expected. This is why Ford is doubling its EV projection to 600,000 units per year globally by the end of 2023, but actually should triple it – “but we can’t.” As we understand, due to the battery availability bottleneck.
– “Demand is two to three times what we expected. And so that capacity had to be doubled — probably tripled if we could, but we can’t. Lightning, when we first got together we talked about volumes of 20,000 units a year. And I was like, no. So we capacitized something far north of 20,000, but it’s nowhere near the 160,000 units of demand we have today. Our reservations are approaching 200,000 units now and we’re moving those reservations to actual orders.”
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/552740/ford-new-fullsize-pickup-platform/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Which EV makers are on Santa’s naughty or nice lists – and tell me why!
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL