If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 5th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 AND KIA EV6 EPA RANGE FIGURES ANNOUNCED
– The sleeker Kia EV6 is more efficient and can travel farther than the boxy Ioniq 5. The RWD, Standard Range EV6—using a 58.0-kWh battery—has a range of 232 miles, besting the equivalent Ioniq 5 by 12 miles. The base EV6 also returns 117 MPGe combined, compared to the Ioniq 5’s 110 MPGe combined figure. The Standard Range EV6 is destined for the American market
– Upgrading to the Long Range models nets a 77.4-kWh battery, which offers 310 and 303 miles of range on the RWD EV6 and Ioniq 5, respectively.
– Opting for more powerful all-wheel-drive Long Range versions drops range significantly, with the AWD Long Range EV6 rated at 274 miles and the equivalent Ioniq 5 rated to travel 256 miles on a charge.
– Pricing has not yet been announced, but we expect the Kia EV6 to start around $45,000 for the RWD Standard Range model. The Ioniq 5’s starting price will likely be similar.
ARRIVAL TO BUILD HIGH-VOLTAGE BATTERY MODULE ASSEMBLY PLANT IN NORTH CAROLINA
– Arrival, the electric vehicle manufacturer that aims to break up the assembly line in favor of multiple microfactories, is investing $11.5 million to build a high-voltage battery module assembly plant in Charlotte, North Carolina. The plant will provide batteries for electric buses and vans produced at the company’s microfactories in Rock Hill, South Carolina and Charlotte, respectively.
– Arrival also agreed to collaborate with Li-Cycle, a lithium-ion battery recycler, to create a closed-loop EV battery supply chain. Like most other automakers, Arrival is recognizing the reality of supply chain delays and materials shortages and is working to vertically integrate as much of the process as possible, while also maintaining its commitment to sustainability.
– Arrival will be refitting an existing warehouse in order to start production in the third quarter of 2022
– Arrival’s battery chemistry supplier is LG. The plant should have a production capacity of up to 350,000 battery modules per year, which can be used across Arrival’s different commercial vehicle platforms and can be tailored to suit the customer’s specific battery requirements, according to the company.
GLOBAL PLUG-IN CAR SALES OCTOBER 2021: UP 70% AND AT 8.8% SHARE
– Global passenger plug-in electric car sales continue to increase quickly this year, moving towards double-digit market share. In October, roughly 589,000 new plug-in electric cars were sold – according to EV-Volumes data – which is 70% more than a year earlier.
– It also happens to be the second-highest monthly result ever recorded, while the record is September 2021 – over 685,000.
– The market share increased to 8.8% and the majority (79%) are battery electric vehicles, while plug-in hybrids were four times less popular.
– So far this year, passenger plug-in electric car sales exceeded 4.8 million (compared to 3.1 million in the entire 2020), while the market share increased to 7.2%.
– The best-selling model in October was Wuling’s Hong Guang MINI EV (39,128). The second best for the month was the Tesla Model Y (27,846)
– The top-selling models year-to-date: Tesla Model 3 – 16,533 and 377,585 YTD Wuling’s Hong Guang MINI EV – 39,128 and 328,001 YTD Tesla Model Y – 27,846 and 281,674 YTD Volkswagen ID.4 – 14,568 and 88,141 YTD BYD Qin Plus PHEV – 17,503 and 76,213 YTD BYD Han EV – 8,292 and 66,572 YTD Li Xiang One EREV – 7,649 and 62,919 YTD Volkswagen ID.3 – 7,079 and 60,120 YTD Changan Benni EV – 6,383 and 59,603 YTD GAC Aion S – 8,020 and 56,895 YTD
– In October, BYD was the top brand with an amazing record of over 80,000 sales. Tesla was the second best with 48,583 units (the company usually notes lower results in the first month of a quarter and the highest in the final month of a quarter).
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/552407/global-plugin-sales-october-2021/
RENAULT DEALERS SWITCH TO EV COURTESY FLEET
– Renault Retail Group has switched its fleet of courtesy cars to fully electric Renault Zoe models.
The business operates 15 dealerships in England and Wales and operates 164 courtesy cars.
– For many customers it will be the first time that they have driven an electric vehicle and Renault Retail Group says it will make the experience as straightforward as possible. Each Zoe will be provided fully charged – offering a range of up to 245 miles – and customers will receive a full introduction on the car’s features and its operation. Should customers need to travel beyond the Zoe’s range, details of charging points can easily be accessed on its infotainment system.
200TH ELECTRIFY AMERICA STATION AT WESTFIELD VALLEY FAIR IN SANTA CLARA
– Electrify America has opened one of its largest electric vehicle (EV) charging stations to date, which will feature 14 ultra-fast chargers with solar canopies at Westfield Valley Fair in Santa Clara, California.
– This installation is part of Electrify America’s plans to build charging stations at 17 Westfield locations, offering more than 100 individual chargers across seven U.S. states by the end of 2022. Focused on delivering the best in customer service, Westfield Valley Fair will be the first Westfield location to offer curbside meals delivered from the mall restaurants to the charging location with the service to be offered across other Westfield locations in the future.
Original Source : https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/161
BRINGING CAR CHARGING TO APARTMENTS IS NOT WITHOUT CHALLENGES
– Even in California — the largest electric vehicle market in the country — getting chargers installed in multi-unit housing is met with significant obstacles that range from ownership inertia to power supplies.
– To make electric vehicles more accessible to all Californians, at-home charging needs to extend beyond newer, single-family developments into an overlooked area — apartment buildings.This, of course, will require significant changes to building codes, public incentives and commitments from building owners.
– a litany of obstacles ranging from cost, electric power limitations in existing buildings, to site-specific problems related to assigned parking spaces, garages verses surface lots or how to wire a charger to an apartment’s electric meter.
VINFAST RAISING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO STEAL SALES FROM TESLA
– Vietnam’s VinFast remains determined to enter the US market with its latest all-electric models, the Pininfarina-penned VF e35 and VF e36, both previewed in pre-production form at this year’s LA Auto Show. Aimed at the likes of the Tesla Model Y and Model X, and even upcoming GM-built EVs, these news EV SUVs pack semi-autonomous driving assist systems and other features Americans want. But getting both to market requires money and lots of it.
– Reuters reports VinFast’s parent company, Vingroup, is currently holding talks with potential investors with the goal of raising around $1 billion in equity.
– One of those investors includes Qatar’s $330 billion sovereign wealth fund. VinFast could still possibly be heading for a US market listing as early as next year which should generate additional and much-needed funds as well.
- Original Source : https://carbuzz.com/news/vinfast-raising-billions-of-dollars-to-steal-sales-from-tesla
TESLA OFFICIALLY BRINGS CLOSURE TO THE MODEL Y’S FORGOTTEN VARIANT
– Tesla has officially eliminated the possibility of the Model Y Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive variant ever entering production. Earlier this week, the company updated Tesla owner accounts with this vehicle reservation, advising them to change their orders.
– While variants of the Model Y currently include two All-Wheel-Drive options, it does not come as much of a surprise that Tesla is also scrapping any plans for the LR RWD variant of the all-electric crossover. Tesla canceled the Standard Range Rear-Wheel Drive variant of the Model Y in the United States in February as well. Tesla still manufactures that vehicle in the Chinese market.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-lr-rwd-cancel-official-closure/
FOXCONN, SAUDI ARABIA IN TALKS TO DEVELOP BMW-BASED EVS
– Foxconn is aggressively focusing on its electrification plans and its expansion as now it is being reported that the company is in talks with Saudi Arabia in order to develop a joint venture that will make electric vehicles. Based on a report by Automotive News, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund will create a new entity called Velocity which is going to hold major stakes in the venture.
– foxconn will give the software, electronics and electrical architecture for new electric vehicles.
– Saudi Arabia has been looking for opportunities to diversify its economy from oil. Establishing domestic car manufacturing units have been in its plan, however, it has not come to fruition till now. The country’s Public Investment Fund became a major stakeholder in Lucid Motors in 2018 to encourage the automaker to set up a manufacturing plant near Jeddah.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Which EV makers are on Santa’s naughty or nice lists – and tell me why!
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL