If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 4th December. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
REPORT: UK GOVERNMENT OFFERS RIVIAN INCENTIVES FOR UK FACTORY
– According to the Financial Times, which cites people familiar with negotiations, the government has offered to build a new M5 motorway junction, develop training facilities and reinstate a disused railway line at the Gravity business park near Bristol, where Rivian could invest £1 billion in a new factory.
– The FT reports that the UK is in competition with Serbia and “at least one other European country” to secure Rivian’s investment and a decision could come within several weeks.
– It is not yet confirmed whether Rivian would build batteries, vehicles or both at the site.
– They will be priced from the equivalent of £48,500 in the US and it could reasonably be expected for European versions to roughly maintain that pricing structure if localised production is secured. Given that large SUVs and trucks are far less in demand in Europe than in the US, though, it could be more likely that the factory would build local-spec versions of Rivian’s bespoke Amazon delivery van.
REPORT: F-150 LIGHTNING TIMELINE REVEALED IN WEBINAR, DENIED BY FORD
– According to a topic on the f150gen14.com forum, the company’s representatives said at a Ford webinar – Drive Electric TN, that the F-150 Lightning order banks for both retail and fleets will be open in January 2022.
– It would be an important bit of news for thousands of reservation holders, but once InsideEVs reached out to Ford, we heard that nothing has changed – the order bank timing has not been communicated yet.
– The customer delivers – according to the forum – will start in September. That would be some 10 months from now before first customers will enjoy the Ford F-150 Lightning.
– ord is expected to be the first large OEM with a mainstream electric pickup on the market (excluding the recently launched premium Rivian R1T and the extraordinary GMC Hummer EV pickup that is coming soon). As of November 3, Ford has more than 160,000 reservations for the F-150 Lightning, and on November 18 it was said that the number is “approaching 200,000 units.”
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/552238/ford-f150-lightning-timeline-rumor/
ELON MUSK REVEALS PLANS FOR TESLA CYBERTRUCK 4-MOTOR VARIANT
– The Tesla Cybertruck’s production plans are changing once again. This past Friday, CEO Elon Musk said on Twitter the first Cybertrucks going to production will be a “four-motor variant” with “independent, ultra fast response torque control of each wheel.” Foremost, that pushes aside production of the tri-motor variant, which was meant to be first. Secondly, this four-motor variant is something new altogether.
– It could be the tri-motor variant is dead in favor of this new four-motor truck, and there’s no word on what becomes of the dual- and single-motor electric pickups. Musk did say on Twitter that those with reservations for a truck that’s not this four-motor variant will be able to upgrade to it. He did not provide any other specs on the battery, power or the motors, but reiterated the Cybertruck will be an “insane technology bandwagon.”
– The Cybertruck was meant to start production by the end of this year at the automaker’s new factory in Austin, Texas, but Tesla delayed production to sometime in 2022 for the first vehicles.
AN ALL-ELECTRIC GENESIS GV90 SUV MAY LAUNCH IN 2023
– Genesis will become an all-electric brand from 2025 and its range could be topped out by an electric SUV dubbed the GV90.
– A new report out of Korea suggests that the GV90 will be the second Genesis model based on Hyundai’s Electric-Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), following in the footsteps of the smaller GV60. It is likely that the GV90 will share parts with the all-electric Hyundai Ioniq 7 and Kia EV9 SUVs that are also in the works.
– ETNews suggests that the Genesis GV90 will be similar in size to the Ioniq 7 and EV9 and will offer three rows of seating. It’s fair to assume that it will also share its powertrain technology that will include 350 kW charging speeds and the ability to travel around 300 miles (482 km) on a single charge.
ELON MUSK’S TESLA STOCK SALE PASSES $10 BILLION
– Here’s how insanely rich Elon Musk is: He has unloaded $10 billion of his stock in the past month — and could do that 15+ more times given his silos of shares.
– When Musk polled Twitter in early November about whether to sell 10% of his Tesla stock (“Sell!” Twitter replied), his stake was worth over $200 billion, or 17% of the company, the Wall Street Journal reported. Now his “share-selling spree” is stretching into a second month, per the Journal.
– The sales are part of a plan to exercise some of his vested stock options that will expire next year, and to sell some holdings to cover tax obligations,
VW RUMOURED TO BE BUILDING ELECTRIC CONVERTIBLE IN OSNABRÜCK
– The VW plant in Osnabrück has a chance of producing an electric convertible, as Group CEO Herbert Diess has now announced. According to Diess, not only the Volkswagen brand but also Audi is considering the possibility.
– This spring, Volkswagen itself had publicly considered a convertible based on the ID.3 and published a sketch of it. “An ID.3 Cabrio would be really appealing – electric and enjoying nature with the roof down,” the VW newsroom said at the time. With the “thought experiment” VW wanted to get customer feedback – which may have been positive enough to bring the ID.3 Cabrio as a niche model similar to the T-Roc Cabrio.
– Volkswagen Osnabrück GmbH is still run as an independent subsidiary of Volkswagen AG. Within the group, the subsidiary is the centre of competence for convertible and small-series production.
MEXICO THREATENS LEGAL ACTION ON US ELECTRIC VEHICLE SUBSIDY
– The Mexican government threatened legal action Thursday over provisions of U.S. President Joe Biden’s Build Back Better Act that would give subsidies of up to $12,500 for purchases of union-made, American-made electric vehicles.
– Tatiana Clouthier, Mexico’s secretary of the economy, said the bill currently before the U.S. Senate would violate non-discrimination clauses of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada free trade pact.
– The bill is expected to come up for a vote in the Senate in mid-December. According to a White House statement, “the framework’s electric vehicle tax credit will lower the cost of an electric vehicle that is made in America with American materials and union labor by $12,500 for a middle-class family.”
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Which EV makers are on Santa’s naughty or nice lists – and tell me why!
Email me: email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL