If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 9th November. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Patreon Producer. That’s you ED PETERSON
TESLA FSD EARLY ADOPTERS GET AUTOPILOT CAMERA UPGRADE INVITES
– Tesla has started sending out Autopilot Camera Upgrade invites to Model S and Model X owners who purchased Full Self-Driving when it was initially launched years ago. As per the communication, Tesla is now poised to start camera retrofits for its older cars, which would allow Model S and Model X vehicles with FSD to access the full suite of features currently offered by the company.
– A screenshot of the communication has been shared online, and it reads as follows: “As an owner with Full Self-Driving Capability and early production cameras, you are eligible for complimentary Autopilot Camera Upgrade. Camera replacements are required to access a continuously expanding suite of Full Self-Driving Capability features. To arrange your complimentary camera replacements, schedule a new appointment from the Service menu in your Tesla App,” the message read.
– Tesla also updated its official webpage for its Full Self-Driving Computer Installations. A new section titled “Camera Replacements” has now been added to the page. The section outlines which customers are eligible for the retrofit, when the service will be available, which camera units will be replaced, how long the hardware update would take, and how early FSD adopters could schedule an appointment for the Autopilot Camera Upgrade.
VW LAUNCHES PRE-SERIES PRODUCTION OF THE ID.4 IN EMDEN
– The conversion of the Emden site into Lower Saxony’s first plant for electric cars is on the home straight, according to VW. The first pre-series vehicles of the ID.4 are already being produced in the body shop, the paint shop and soon in assembly. Volume production is scheduled to start in spring 2022.
– the final decision to build MEB vehicles in Emden from 2022 onwards was taken in summer 2019. The conversion work started in July 2020 – parallel to the production of the Passat. In May, VW announced that the conversion work was still on schedule.
– The ID.4 is to be built in Emden first, followed by two more MEB models from 2023 – a Passat-sized saloon and the accompanying estate. According to VW, a total of six additional production halls and logistics buildings will have been built on the 4,300,000 square metre factory site by then.
BMW BEGINS FULL PRODUCTION OF ITS FUTURISTIC 75 MPH ELECTRIC SCOOTERS
– BMW has just entered full series production of its CE 04 electric motorbike, a futuristic model that could be a taste of what’s to come from the German manufacturer.
– The CE 04 was first unveiled nearly a year ago, when many dismissed it as an overly ambitious futuristic concept vehicle
– BMW followed up by announcing the CE 04 would actually enter production. And now that day has come, as the bike begins serial production at the company’s Berlin Motorrad plant. The CE 04 falls somewhere between a maxiscooter and a light electric motorcycle. The peak-rated 31 kW (42 hp) frame-mounted electric motor puts it in the same power class as several electric motorcycles from leading manufacturers.
– Pushed to the max, the CE 04 is rated for a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph).
– The internal battery in the higher spec model provides 8.9 kWh of capacity and is rated for up to 130 km (81 miles) of range.
– the CE 04 will start at USD $11,795.
RIVIAN WILL START SELLING ELECTRIC VANS TO NON-AMAZON COMPANIES IN 2023
– Rivian says it will start taking orders for its electric delivery vans in 2022 and will deliver them to fleet customers in “early 2023,” calling into question the status of Amazon’s exclusive rights to the vehicle.
– It also said it will sell fleet versions of its R1T electric pickup truck and R1S electric SUV, meaning it will compete with Ford’s commercial version of the F-150 Lightning, as well as a fleet management platform called FleetOS and a charging infrastructure solution.
– Rivian’s ability to make vehicles at scale is still unproven; it has only just started making and delivering the R1T and is still preparing the delivery van for mass production.
– The new section of Rivian’s site, which was tweeted by communications director Amy Mast, says customers will be able to use an “online fleet configurator to plan and place your fleet order” in “early 2022,” and that “[d]eliveries of the [van] are scheduled to begin in early 2023.”
- Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/8/22765853/rivian-fleet-sales-amazon-exclusivity-van-r1t-r1s
MOST F-150 LIGHTNING BUYERS GET AUGMENTED REALITY INTRO
– Ford already has more than 160,000 reservations for its 2022 F-150 Lightning electric pickup, due for deliveries starting in 2022. Yet of the retail reservation-holders in that crowd, a recent survey suggested that nearly 80% have never owned a battery electric vehicle before.
– Ford is launching an augmented reality (AR) experience that it says “will offer these knowledge-hungry customers an immersive, informative experience on the all-new F-150 Lightning.”
– it’s powered by Google Cloud and takes the form of thirteen interactive animations about everything from the frunk and battery range to charging—and the ProPower Onboard power takeoff plus, perhaps, the Lightning’s potential as home power backup. Visitors also have the ability to select a color and trim—base, XLT, Lariat, and Platinum—for the truck and place it “anywhere in their own environment,”
– Ford also says that its survey results suggest that 56% of F-150 Lightning reservation-holders haven’t ever owned a Ford vehicle.
GAC AION MODEL FIRST IN CHINA WITH 1,000 KM RANGE
– Longer range is the quest of electric vehicle (EV) companies, and now GAC Aion brings the competition to 1,000 kilometers. The Aion LX Plus from GAC’s new energy vehicle subsidiary recently made it to the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) product announcement in China with a 144.4 kWh battery pack, an energy density of 205 Wh/kg, and an impressive NEDC range of 1,008 km.
– Entering the MIIT product announcement is the last major regulatory process for a model to become available in China, meaning local consumers are only a few months away from having an EV with a range of over 1,000 km.
– The Aion LX Plus is an upgraded version of the currently available Aion LX, with a length, width and height of 4,835/1,935/1,658mm, a permanent magnet synchronous motor with 180 kW of power and a top speed of 170 km/h.
– The Aion LX Plus is expected to be unveiled during the Guangzhou Auto Show on November 19, and its price information is currently unknown. For reference, the price range of the Aion LX is RMB 229,600 ($35,900) -349,600.
GEELY TO LAUNCH 5 EV MODELS WITH BATTERY SWAPPING TECH BY 2023
– The Smart Geely 2025 strategy presented by Geely Auto Group outlined several initiatives aimed at increasing the automaker’s sales, and among them is the plan to have 5,000 battery swapping stations deployed across 100 cities by 2025, the company said in a statement.
– At present, the Geely Technology Group has already established approximately 100 battery-swapping stations across China, and these can swap batteries from vehicles in just 59 seconds with the use of automated technologies which allow for safe operation, says Geely. With this system, the driver of the electric vehicle simply drives into the station for the swap, and leaves the station without having to exit their vehicle.
– Battery swapping will be for selected vehicle platforms in the Geely product line, and currently will not include models built on the SEA (Sustainable Experience Arhcitecture) platform as they have been designed with integrated battery technology with the aim of producing the lightest vehicle architecture possible.
EVGO EXPANDS DEAL WITH UBER, GROWING EV CHARGING NETWORK WITH GM
– EVgo Inc., owner and operator of a charging network for electric vehicles, is expanding its EV charging program for rideshare drivers on Uber’s platform.
– The Los Angeles-based company also is expanding its partnership with General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) to build more EV charging stalls across the country.
– Drivers with Uber Pro Gold, Platinum or Diamond status will get deeper discounts and be able to save up to 30% on charging costs over EVgo’s standard pay-as-you-go rates.
– Drivers who drive a Tesla also will have access to nearly 600 integrated Tesla connectors at EVgo stations, enabling them to charge their vehicles without the need for an adaptor.
– In a separate agreement, EVgo and GM plan to deploy 3,250 fast-charging stalls across the country by 2025 and extend the program’s geographic reach from 40 metropolitan markets to 52. EVgo and GM previously announced plans to build 2,750 charging stalls by 2025, a tripling of the EVgo network.
BP PARTNERS WITH BATTERY-SWAPPING COMPANY AULTON FOR JOINT BUSINESS
– BP signed an agreement with China’s battery swapping company Aulton to buy stake of the latter’s subsidiary Guangzhou Aulton
– Guangzhou Aulton will become a joint venture of both companies to provide safe and highly-efficient battery-swapping services for taxis, ride-hailing vehicles, and other passenger vehicles in Guangzhou.
– The company has deployed its battery-swapping network in nearly 30 cities across China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Changchun, Wuhan, Chongqing, Kunming, and Sanya. As of now, Aulton’s battery swapping platform has accumulated over 50,000 users.
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/new_energy/70019092.html
TERRA 360’S EV CHARGING SPEED UNMATCHED, BUT IS IT A GOOD THING?
– ABB has formally launched its electric vehicle charger, Terra 360, the fastest in the world and which can power up to four vehicles at a time
– The Terra 360 will be launched in Europe later this year and will be available in the US, Latin America, and Asia-Pacific regions starting 2022.
– There aren’t a lot of EVs that can handle that kind of charge. The only two approaching it are Porsche’s Taycan, with 270 KW of charging capacity, and the new Lucid Air, which allows for up to 300 KW fast-charging. But such high charging levels aren’t necessarily great for an EV’s battery. Porsche, for instance, has a battery preservation setting on its Plug & Charge Taycan feature that lowers power to 200 KW from the maximum 270 kW allowed, essentially acknowledging that faster charging degrades the battery.
MOST ELECTRICITY IN INDUSTRIALIZED NATIONS COULD BE FROM WIND AND SOLAR, STUDY SHOWS
– The study shows that the majority of electricity demand in many industrialized nations can be met by some combination of wind and solar power sources, as long as extra efforts are made to install energy storage facilities to cover times of intermittent production.
– By analyzing the energy use of 42 major countries across 39 years (from 1980 to 2018), the researchers were able to model how increases in wind and solar energy power production could potentially meet the demands of nations from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.
– Even without any energy storage, renewable systems could meet the needs of the countries in the study for 72-91 percent of the time, with wind power leading the way, the study shows. Add in 12 hours of energy storage across the board, and that goes up to 83-94 percent of the time, with solar taking over as the dominant energy source.
BORGWARNER TO SUPPLY NEW 800V SIC INVERTER TO GERMAN OEM
– BorgWarner will be providing a new, high-voltage silicon carbide (SiC) inverter to a large German automaker for implementation in its next-generation electric vehicles. This award expands existing 400V inverter business with this German OEM by adding 800V technology.
– The inverter, with its higher power density and higher efficiency, allows OEMs to design 800V high-power propulsion systems that are characterized by enhanced driving performance, longer battery electric ranges, and faster charging times. These enhancements can ultimately further efforts to broaden consumer acceptance of electric mobility.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/11/20211107-borgwarner.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
Returns on Monday 22nd November after my short holiday.
Email me a suggestion for a possible question and I might pick yours! email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL