If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 3rd November. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
VOLKSWAGEN ID.5 ELECTRIC CAR WILL RIVAL TESLA MODEL Y IN 2022
– VOLKSWAGEN has taken the covers off its new ID.5 electric SUV-coupé, which features sleeker styling, a 323-mile range and slightly upgraded tech compared to its ID.4 sibling. Both models could be considered rivals to the Tesla Model Y, which arrives in the UK from early 2022, as well as the Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia EV6
– As the ID.5 is based on the same underpinnings as the recently-launched VW ID.4, the engineering and overall footprint is the same. It’s only in profile and from the rear that the ID.5’s visual differences become apparent; rather than a truncated hatchback rear end, the ID.5’s roofline slopes down towards a rear spoiler atop the boot-lid.
– One key difference between the ID.5 and ID.4 is that the former gets just a single (77kWh) battery option. The range is divided into three basic levels when it comes to powertrains — Pro, Pro Performance and GTX.
– In Pro and Pro Performance models, a single electric motor drives the rear wheels delivering 172bhp and 201bhp, respectively. At the top of the tree, the GTX gets dual motors, one acting on the front axle and the second on the rear, making it all-wheel drive. Total power output of the GTX is 295bhp, which is enough to propel it from 0-62mph in 6.3 seconds — over a second slower than the Tesla Model Y Long Range and 2.6 seconds slower than the Model Y Performance.
Original Source : https://www.driving.co.uk/news/new-cars/2022-volkswagen-id5-details/
Volkswagen ID.5 and ID.5 GTX: price, specs and release data
– While the ID.4 can charge at a maximum of 120kW, the ID.5 accepts up to 135kW of power. That means an 80% top-up at a fast-charger takes just 26 minutes, compared to 35 minutes for the ID.4. VW’s other ID. models will soon be able to charge at the higher rate, as the brand is rolling out an update.
– Coupe-SUVs command a premium over the boxier models on which they’re based, so you can expect the ID.5 to start from around £47,000. You’ll be able to order the Volkswagen ID.5 in early 2022 and at that point we should have full prices and specifications.
VW ID.5 RWD And ID.5 GTX AWD Electric Crossover Coupes Are Here
– Customers who will opt for the ID.5 GTX will need to settle for a lower estimated range of 480 km (298 miles) compared to the RWD models, but the performance gains and all-weather capability appear worth the upgrade. The ID.5 GTX also features some subtle design upgrades over the regular ID.5, including sportier bumpers (with integrated DRLs at the front), IQ.Light LED matrix headlights, LED taillight clusters with a 3D design, dual-tone paints, and a performance-themed cockpit.
– The VW ID.5 and ID.5 GTX will launch in Europe in early 2022, but the automaker said nothing of a US debut. However, the dual-motor AWD powertrain of the ID.5 GTX is already available stateside in the ID.4 AWD Pro and Pro S.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/545110/vw-id5-id5-gtx-debut
TESLA PLANT COULD THREATEN YOUR FUTURE, VW CEO TELLS GERMAN WORKERS
– Volkswagen AG Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess urged German workers to prepare for a deeper overhaul to remain competitive when Tesla Inc. ramps up vehicle production at its first European factory outside Berlin next year.
– Tesla is swiftly improving quality and looks set to achieve a production time of just 10 hours per car at its Gruenheide plant, Diess said Thursday in a prepared speech at a staff meeting in Wolfsburg.
– VW’s new works council chief Daniela Cavallo called on Diess to focus his attention on resolving the persistent chip shortage that hit VW harder than Tesla or BMW AG instead of engaging in social media activities.
– “I’m often being asked why I keep comparing us with Tesla; I know that it’s annoying some people,” Diess told workers. “But it’s my task and that of the entire management to assess the competition correctly, to prepare the group for it and make it future-proof.”
VOLKSWAGEN COMMITTEE TO DISCUSS FUTURE OF CEO DIESS
– A specially convened Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) committee will discuss the future of CEO Herbert Diess, three people familiar with the matter said on Wednesday, a week after a longstanding conflict with labour representatives flared up again.
– The planned meeting of the rarely-summoned mediation committee of VW’s supervisory board comes in response to tensions between management and its works council, after sources said Diess told a recent meeting of the board that 30,000 jobs were at risk as part of the group’s electric vehicles push
– The escalation of the tussle over Diess’s future underscores the fragile balance of power at the world’s second-largest carmaker, pitting Diess’ ambition to make Volkswagen more competitive with Tesla (TSLA.O) against Germany’s influential trade unions.
– Diess, 63, has been singling out Tesla’s success as a benchmark for Volkswagen, hailing the efficiency and lean management of entrepreneur Elon Musk’s company, which has drawn the ire of labour representatives who fear this will lead to major job cuts.
WORKS COUNCIL CONFLICT AT VW CONTINUES TO ESCALATE
– Until the mediation committee reaches a result – possibly by the beginning of December – important decisions in the operative business will be suspended. These include investments that have not yet been approved. For this reason, some insiders say that the company is currently “blocked”.
– Herbert Diess wants to continue to focus the company on electromobility and, for example, strengthen in-house software development. In addition, the plants are to become more efficient – the conflict with the works council recently escalated at the main plant in Wolfsburg. The works council did not oppose the change to electromobility, but rather the way Diess is pushing his course.
– As reported, a compromise had emerged that Wolfsburg could receive the overflow production of the ID.3 and ID.4 from Zwickau – and would thus enter electric car production before the electric vehicle flagship announced for 2026. The so-called planning round, in which Volkswagen distributes models among the worldwide plants (and thus influences their capacity utilisation) had to be postponed most recently from mid-November to December.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/11/04/works-council-conflict-at-vw-continues-to-escalate
FORD CEO JIM FARLEY SAYS TESLA, RIVIAN, AND VW ARE MAJOR THREATS
– while Ford is also investing heavily in EVs, CEO Jim Farley is well aware that the competition in this space is formidable.
– While Jim Farley and Tesla CEO Elon Musk have long enjoyed a cozy relationship, Ford’s CEO also pointed out that the company is a dominant force in the EV market. He also called Rivian “a formidable competitor with us,” and pointed out that Volkswagen trails only Tesla as the world’s largest producer of EVs at the moment.
– Ford entered a partnership with Volkswagen last year that includes the co-development of a number of new vehicles, including at least one compact European Ford EV built on VW’s MEB platform – the same platform that underpins the Volkswagen ID.3, ID.4, and numerous other planned electric vehicles, while the two automakers are even sharing engine names on some rebadged models at this point as well.
FORD CEO WARNS EMPLOYEES TO TAKE TESLA, RIVIAN, VW SERIOUSLY
– “If Ford was a trillion-dollar company, our stock would be worth about $250 a share. Think about the value creation of Tesla right now. And they have resources, smart people, the Model 3 is now the bestselling vehicle in Europe. Not electric. Flat out. It was the bestselling vehicle in the UK. Most months, it’s the bestselling vehicle in California. Not just electric, but overall. If we’re going to succeed, we can’t ignore this competition anymore.”Look at Tesla, why are they doing what they’re doing and what can we learn from them. First, they have a direct model … There’s no one in between. They make it so easy. Three or four clicks configuring the vehicle with not a lot of complexity to delivering it to the customer. Simple, non-negotiated pricing. A large reservation system as well as remote service.
– “Second, Tesla maximizes use of electrons in the vehicle. No one does it better than they do. Their customers pay less for a better battery. Their focus … after they launch the vehicle, their obsession after the launch of the vehicle, to make the customer experience better, to re-engineer the electronic components, to simplify, to address quality based on data coming off the vehicles, to reduce the bill of material based on how people actually use the vehicle, to drive vertical integration, so they do more and they solve the hardest problems at Tesla. And they manage every electron so they can be as efficient as possible with the expense of battery”Third, the product itself is highly differentiated from the rest of the ICE field and complexity is tiny, compared to OEMs,” Farley said, referring to automakers by their old-fashioned trade term, original equipment manufacturers.
FORD’S 281-HP ELECTRIC CRATE MOTOR COSTS $3,900 AND YOU CAN BUY ONE NOW
– e knew Ford was formally rolling out its Eluminator electric crate motor at this year’s SEMA show. What we didn’t know, though, is how much power it’d make—or where it came from. As the new Ford F-100 Eluminator Concept proves, it’s taken from the Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition, a ferociously quick EV that packs a total gut-punch. While a single Eluminator motor makes 281 horsepower and 317 pound-feet of torque on its own, it can be combined with another to make 480 hp and 634 pound-feet like we see here.Oh, and you can buy one now starting at $3,900.
– Ford says the crate motor—which wears the part number M-9000-MACH-E—is targeted at “builders looking for a transverse-oriented powertrain to electrify a range of vehicles from modern to vintage cars, trucks, and SUVs.” They’re street legal in all 50 states and, assuming you can figure your way around a newfangled electric powertrain, totally customizable. Hello, battery-powered pickups.
– Ford says it plans on bringing supporting parts to market in due time, helping builders craft a turnkey solution for those who’d rather their classic rides not burn fossil fuels. It’s part of the electric manifestation of tuning culture and just as you wouldn’t expect every small-block crate motor to come with a transmission, neither should people anticipate a ready-to-rock EV powertrain from the get-go.
CHINESE CONSUMERS’ FAVORITE EV BRAND IS NOT TESLA
– BYD bagged the No. 1 spot as the favorite electric vehicle brand among Chinese buyers in the third quarter in a survey conducted by Bernstein. Elon Musk-led Tesla emerged as the second favorite followed by German automaker Volkswagen Group
– The research firm surveyed 1,600 respondents in China’s large cities, earning an average monthly income of about RMB 19,000 ($2,969) and 32 years of age. Intent to buy an electric car from a Chinese start-up like Nio or Xpeng doubled this year to about 9.5% of those surveyed, up from around 5% for the last few years.
– BYD has been focusing on ramping up its new energy vehicle (NEV) portfolio — including electric vehicles — significantly as it sees lower demand for internal combustion engine vehicles.
MORE PLUG-IN VEHICLES TO BE REGISTERED IN 2021 THAN THE WHOLE OF THE LAST DECADE
– 2021 New plug-in vehicle uptake rates have accelerated so rapidly that more will join Britain’s roads in 2021 than during the whole of the last decade, according to the latest forecast from SMMT.
– 271,962 new battery electric (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid vehicles (PHEVs) were registered between 2010 and 2019. However, as the UK hosts the COP26 environmental summit, SMMT now expects Britain to break its plug-in records, forecasting that businesses and consumers will take up around 287,000 of the latest zero-emission capable cars during 2021 alone – around one in six new cars. Based on current forecasts, BEV registrations are also expected to exceed those of diesel by the end of 2022.
– Businesses have been particularly incentivised to invest in plug-in cars thanks to a range of tax breaks and grants, meaning around two in every three new BEV registrations this year have been for large fleets.
TESLA HIKES PRICES ON MODEL 3 / MODEL Y AGAIN
– For the third time this quarter, Tesla has again increased vehicle prices. All versions of Model 3 and Model Y have been increased by $1,000.
– Model 3 rear-wheel drive increased by $1,000 to $44,990.Model 3 Long Range increased by $1,000 to $50,990.Model 3 Performance increased by $1,000 to $58,990.Model Y Long Range increased by $1,000 to $57,990.Model Y Performance increased by $1,000 to $62,990.
– New orders for the lowest price Model 3 and Model Y are currently being given delivery estimates of September, 2022.One other change Tesla has made to the design studio — in addition to Pearl White Multi-Coat paint, Tesla’s Midnight Silver Metallic paint no longer carries a surcharge (previously $1,000).
TESLA OWNER MANAGES TO INSTALL REGULAR STEERING WHEEL ON MODEL S PLAID
– A Tesla Model S Plaid owner has successfully removed the ‘yoke’ steering wheel and replaced it with a regular Model 3 steering – the stalks and all.
– Ryan Huber is one of the first to take on the project of replacing the yoke wheel with a regular one, and he recently completed his retrofit:
– “When I started on this project, I planned to make everything, including the Model 3 wheel, work. Over the time I’ve had the car, I’d grown accustomed the yoke, minus the haptic controls, which remain awful (even in the new version). I planned to set the car up as Yoke + stalks for my normal config, and to toss the round wheel on for fun, rarely. But then I got the controls on the round wheel working, and I’m not going back to the Yoke.”
– As a warning, it’s not an easy task. For example, Huber had to write custom firmware in order to make the Model 3 wheel work on the Model S Plaid firmware.
TESLA’S LATEST PATCH HINTS AT CLOUD-SYNCED DRIVER PROFILES
– Tesla is preparing for a world where your driver profile can follow you across different cars, be it your personal EV or a rental. The car maker has added a Cloud Profiles section in its latest software release, which points to an “Enable Vehicle Sync” option for backing up driver profiles, Tesla Software Updates reports. The news isn’t a huge surprise, as Elon Musk previously said cloud-synced profiles were on the way.
– For a tech-focused car company like Tesla, giving its customers a simple way to bring their settings to multiple vehicles simply makes sense. That’s particularly true after Hertz announced it would be buying 100,000 Teslas for its rental fleet. Though Musk was quick to point out that order hasn’t been placed yet, it’s not hard to imagine a world where anyone can easily rent a Tesla.
PANASONIC MOVES TOWARD MASS PRODUCTION OF TESLA’S NEXT-GEN BATTERIES
– Panasonic is technologically almost ready to start commercializing the cheaper, higher-capacity battery cells Tesla unveiled last year, the head of the Japanese industrial giant’s newly consolidated battery division told Nikkei.
– In terms of product development, the technological goals have largely been achieved. The new batteries have roughly five times the capacity of the 2170s currently in use. But mass-producing them requires new techniques. We are currently building a prototype production line in Japan that will come online in stages. We will conduct trials toward mass production and hone the process in Japan until it can be deployed quickly.
FISKER OCEAN WILL USE CATL CELLS, CHARGE AT MORE THAN 250 KW
– Fisker and CATL on Tuesday announced a battery-supply deal for the Fisker Ocean electric SUV, which Fisker said is on track for a November 2022 production start.
– CATL will supply two battery packs for the Ocean and a total of 5 gigawatt-hours of cells annually from 2023 to 2025
– The two packs include a “high-capacity” pack using lithium nickel manganese cobalt (NMC) chemistry and a “high-value” pack using lithium iron phosphate (LFP) chemistry. Fisker said it’s been working with CATL since 2020 on battery pack integration for the Ocean.
– Both packs will also support charging at a peak of more than 250 kw
– CATL has also said that it’s ready to make a million-mile battery, either for Tesla or for another automaker that’s interested, for a cost of only about 10% more than other current batteries.
The firm also recently partnered with Hyundai Mobis to use its cell-to-pack technology in future vehicles,
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With the COP26 climate summit now underway in Scotland, what would you like to tell the politicians or the rule makers about electric cars?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL