If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 29th October. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
VW SOLD 250,000 EVS IN FIRST 9 MONTHS OF 2021
– Despite the ongoing structural shortage of semiconductors throughout the industry, Volkswagen delivered around 3.8 million vehicles to customers worldwide in the first nine months (+3.3% compared with the prior-year period).
– The company’s electric offensive continues to gain momentum. In the first nine months, a new record for global deliveries of electric vehicles was set with 167,800 BEVs (+169%) and 86,900 PHEVs (+98%). Volkswagen is the market leader for all-electric vehicles in Europe and is meeting its targets in the USA.
– In China, too, Volkswagen’s electric offensive is on track, with sales of the ID. Family increasing continuously. Just after the launch, more than 6,000 ID. models were already delivered to customers in the second quarter. This figure rose to around 23,000 in the third quarter. The upward trend accelerated further in October to the expected delivery of some 14,000 units. As well as the ID.4, the seven-seater ID.6 has proved popular, with more than 7,000 units already sold since the SUV was laun
– As part of its ACCELERATE strategy, the company will be bringing at least one additional all-electric car to market each year. In just a few days, the ID.5 and ID.5 GTX will be celebrating their world premiere.
VOLKSWAGEN CEO: WE WILL KEEP UP WITH TESLA BUT NOT WITHOUT CUTS
– Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE) Chief Executive Herbert Diess on Thursday said he was confident that Europe’s largest carmaker could keep up with Tesla (TSLA.O), but added this would require further cost cuts, including headcount reductions at its Wolfsburg site.
CHIP SHORTAGE PUTS THE BRAKES ON VOLKSWAGEN
– Volkswagen, which aims to overtake Tesla as the world’s largest seller of EVs by the middle of the decade, confirmed its operating profit margin target of 6.0-7.5% for 2021.
– Diess said the Tesla site was setting a new benchmark in terms of productivity, speed and lean management.
On a different subject Diess said he’s currently driving an XPeng P7.
DIESS GIVES A IONITY A PAT OF APPROVAL
– After Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess had a bad experience with Ionity’s charging network a few months ago and made his anger known on LinkedIn, Ionity should be happy about Diess’ latest post: This time his charging experience at the German network was far improved.
– Diess made post about his experience electric car trip that included a stop at an Ionity station in Austria. He summarised: “Great charging experience! Short coffee break with a view of the lake, all columns in operation – after 20 minutes back on the street.”
EPA LISTS VOLKSWAGEN ID.4 AWD RANGE RATINGS
– The Volkswagen ID.4 AWD’s range and efficiency numbers were released by the manufacturer a few weeks ago, but today they were listed on the EPA’s website.
– The car is able to go up to 240-249 miles (386-401 km) on a single charge according to the EPA, which is only a few percent less than the rear-wheel-drive version.
– 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 AWD Pro (19″)
AWD, 82kWh, 249 mi (401 km), 5.7 0-60mph
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/543739/epa-volkswagen-id4-awd-range
AUDI RELEASES RANGE UPDATE FOR OLDER E-TRON MODELS
– Audi has announced a software update for the Audi e-tron 55 quattro of the 2019 and 2020 model years. This should make up to 20 kilometres more range possible in real driving conditions. However, the vehicles will have to be taken to the workshop to have the update installed.
– Audi is at least making the software scopes of this update available to existing vehicles – for a total of 34,000 e-tron 55 quattro built between mid-September 2018 (model year 2019) and the end of November 2019 (model year 2020). In terms of hardware, the 2019 update includes the installation of a new wheel brake in which the residual braking torque is lower – i.e. losses caused by the proximity of the brake callipers to the brake disc. This change will still not be available for existing vehicles.
– The 2021 software update also consists of several elements: for example, the usable window of the gross 95 kWh battery is enlarged. The older models mentioned still have the original net energy content of 83.6 kWh. With the update, the battery management now makes 86.5 kWh usable.
– Audi offers the software update for the affected model years free of charge. However, it cannot be installed “over the air”
STELLANTIS’ NEW EV PLATFORMS HAVE CAPACITY FOR 8 MILLION CARS A YEAR
– Stellantis’ four new electrified platforms are expected to each underpin the production of 2 million vehicles a year, the automaker’s head for Italy said on Wednesday.
– Stellantis will invest over 30 billion euros through 2025 on electrifying its vehicle lineup. As part of this plan the group has announced it was setting up four new platforms.
– each platform will be able to support (the production of) up to 2 million units every year
– Stellantis is targeting for more than 70% of its sales in Europe to come from low-emission vehicles by 2030, and aims to make the total cost of owning an electric vehicle equal to that of a gasoline-powered model by 2026.
XPENG INTRODUCES THE P7 SEDAN IN NORWAY
– Xpeng has now also introduced its large electric sedan P7 to the Norwegian market, after the electric SUV G3 has already been delivered there since the end of 2020.
– Xpeng P7 is available in Norway in RWD Super Long Range and 4WD High Performance versions at prices starting at 447,820 and 507,820 kroner, respectively, the equivalent of just under 46,000 euros and 52,000 euros. In addition, there is a special limited edition of the P7 with gullwing doors, which costs at least 599,900 kroner (approx. 61,000 euros) in Norway.
– . The 70.8 kWh battery available in China will not be offered in Norway, here it is exclusively the 80 kWh version. With rear-wheel drive (under the sales designation RWD Super Long Range), a WLTP range of 530 kilometres should be possible according to the current specifications.
– Xpeng offers its vehicles in Norway in 17 sales outlets, for which the Chinese cooperate with local trade partners. In addition, there are 21 service points in Norway.
GERMAN CAR OF THE YEAR 2022: HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 WINS IN “NEW ENERGY” CATEGORY
– Hyundai Motor’s IONIQ 5 has won a 2022 German Car of the Year (GCOTY) award in the “New Energy” category. As a class winner, the automaker’s full-electric midsize CUV will automatically take part in the final round of the GCOTY. IONIQ 5 will compete against the winners of the “Compact”, “Premium”, “Luxury” and “Performance” categories. The overall winner will be announced on November 25, 2021.
– IONIQ 5’s overall package did not only convince the German Car of the Year jury, where it prevailed against competitors such as the BMW iX and the Mercedes-Benz EQS, in addition, it is also very popular with customers.
FORD Q3 EARNINGS HIGHLIGHTS
– Ford reported third-quarter revenue of $35.7 billion, down 5% year-over-year.
– Ford plans to invest $40 billion to $45 billion between 2020 and 2025 on “strategic capital expenditures.” The company highlighted a new F-Series truck plant in Tennessee and new battery plants in Kentucky and Tennessee. The battery plants will take the company’s annual capacity in the U.S. to over 1 million units. Ford is doubling yearly production volume for the upcoming F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck, citing “exceptional customer demand.”
– Ford said it will record a gain on investment in its equity investment in Rivian as a special item — if the company completes its IPO.
ENGINEER WHO MADE FORD F-150 LIGHTNING ELECTRIC TRUCK
– When Linda Zhang became chief engineer for Ford’s F-150 Lightning three years ago, she took on what some might consider an all but impossible job. In relatively short order, she had to roll out a reasonably priced electric version of the most popular vehicle in the U.S., while skirting the sensibilities of F-150 loyalists
– Zhang’s automotive roots go deep—her father, a Chinese immigrant who brought her to the States as a child, researched transmissions for Ford. Zhang herself has made it her business to challenge all kinds of expectations, from what will power a new generation of American vehicles to who will design them.
Original Source : https://time.com/6109417/linda-zhang-interview-cop26
KOREAN BATTERY EQUIPMENT INDUSTRY SECURING SUPPLY CONTRACTS WITH RIVIAN
– Korean battery equipment makers are drawing attention as they have won key equipment supply contracts with RIVIAN, an American electric vehicle maker. RIVIAN plans to start producing their own batteries from 2023. Korean equipment makers are expected to expand their market positions as they are listed as RIVIAN suppliers.
– Korean battery equipment makers have won orders for battery equipment for the RIVIAN plant. As RIVIAN recently completed a bidding for equipment, major companies were selected as final suppliers.
– RIVIAN aims to produce their own batteries from 2023. The company plans to install prismatic batteries in their pure electric vehicles. The prismatic battery is stored in a square-shaped can case and is characterized by excellent durability.
Original Source : https://english.etnews.com/20211028200001?utm_source=pocket_mylist
HYUNDAI MOTOR GROUP TO USE CATL’S CELL-TO-PACK TECHNOLOGY
– Hyundai Motor Group’s subsidiary Hyundai Mobis signed a license agreement with CATL to get access to CATL’s battery cell-to-pack (CTP) technology for prismatic cells.
– According to CnEVPost, the South Korean manufacturer will be able to use the CTP solution globally, which combined with the previous order of battery cells for the E-GMP platform cars, makes us wonder what is coming next.
– The Chinese battery supplier says that removing modules simplifies the manufacturing and assembly by 10%, increases space utilization by 5% and gravimetric energy density by 14% to 142 Wh/kg on the pack level.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/543595/hyundai-mobis-battery-catl-ctp/
TESLA OWNERS CAN NOW REMOTELY STREAM LIVE FOOTAGE FROM THEIR CAR’S CAMERAS
– Tesla’s Sentry mode, the feature that uses the car’s cameras as a surveillance system to catch would-be thieves and vandals, has been upgraded to let owners view a livestream, Electrek reports. The “Sentry Mode Live Camera Access” feature is rolling out with Tesla’s 2021.36.8 software update, but only appears to work with the manufacturer’s iOS app at present. An Android release is yet to be confirmed.
– Elon Musk adds that the feature also lets owners remotely talk through the car’s speaker when enabled.
– The feature is included with Tesla’s Premium Connectivity subscription, which costs $10 a month after an initial free trial
GM CAN ‘ABSOLUTELY’ TOP TESLA IN EV SALES BY 2025, SAYS CEO MARY BARRA
– General Motors can “absolutely” catch Tesla in U.S. sales of electric vehicles by 2025, CEO and Chair Mary Barra told CNBC on Wednesday.
– Barra said an influx of new products, including the soon-to-be-released GMC Hummer pickup and Cadillac Lyriq as well as an upcoming Chevrolet crossover, will help the company beat Tesla. The vehicles are part of GM’s plan to release at least 30 EVs by 2025.
– “I am very comfortable, because when people get into these vehicles, they are just wowed,” Barra said during CNBC’s “Squawk Box.” “So we will be rolling them out and we’re going to just keep working until we have No. 1 market share in EVs.”
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
How many of the podcast listeners have changed their electricity tariff after buying an electric vehicle? And how many of your regularly change electricity to get the best deal, if that’s possible where you live? How much interest do you take in your electricity supply?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL