If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 28th October. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to new Patreon Producer DANIEL HARRIS
NEW RANGE ROVER WORLD PREMIERE FEATURES PHEV, NO BEV (YET)
Every nameplate will be available with pure-electric propulsion by the end of the decade, helping Jaguar Land Rover achieve net zero carbon across its products, operations and supply chain by 2039.
– It is available with a choice of efficient mild-hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains and four, five or seven-seat interiors across Standard and Long Wheelbase body designs. A pure-electric Range Rover – the first all-electric Land Rover – will join the line-up in 2024.
– The extended Range plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) powertrains provide CO2 emissions below 30g/km, with a WLTP certified pure-electric driving range of up to 100km (62 miles). They deliver an expected real-world pure-electric driving range of up to 80km (50 miles) – enough for typical Range Rover customers to complete up to 75 per cent of trips using electric power only
– MLA-Flex can accommodate internal combustion, plug-in hybrid and 100 per cent electric powertrains. It represents the next step in Land Rover’s simplified architecture strategy as part of the move to deliver greater powertrain flexibility
– The purely electric successor to the Jaguar XJ is also to be based on this platform – this was announced for 2020, but has not been presented to date. However, the electric limousine is likely to come onto the market before the purely electric Range Rover, after all, Jaguar is to become a pure electric vehicle brand from 2025.
2024 RANGE ROVER EV: BMW IX RIVAL COULD GET FCEV OPTION
– Interestingly, Land Rover programme director Nick Miller told Autocar that the MLA architecture can also readily accommodate a hydrogen powertrain, which means a Range Rover FCEV could be on the cards as the company’s Project Zeus hydrogen development programme continues.
– The electric Range Rover could be one of the first production models to benefit from a new development partnership between JLR and BMW, which will see the German and British firms collaborate on electricdrive systems. Whether these systems will bear any relation to those used by BMW’s current EVs – or indeed Jaguar’s own I-Pace – is unclear, but it is almost certain that an electric Range Rover would feature two driven axles and have similar power figures to the most potent combustion car.
NEW 2022 RANGE ROVER OFFICIALLY UNWRAPPED AT LONDON EVENT
– Around three months after launch, these will be joined by a petrol-electric plug-in hybrid option with a new 38.2kWh battery that has a WLTP-certified electric range of 62 miles, giving the Range Rover one of the longest electric ranges of any PHEV on sale. The new ‘Extended Range’ PHEV variant, based on a six-cylinder engine for the first time, offers combined outputs of either 434bhp and 457lb ft or 503bhp and 516lb ft, and is estimated to be capable of covering 75% of all journeys with the engine off, according to Land Rover’s research.
It is also equipped with 50kW charging capacity, so an 80% charge can be achieved in less than an hour, while a brake regeneration system helps top up the battery – which is located under the floor for optimal weight distribution – when on the move.
2022 Range Rover sees sleek redesign, previews 2023 PHEV trim | Driving
– Canadian pricing starts at $126,400 for the short-wheelbase P400. Moving up to the P530 with V8 bumps that up to $139,300, or $145,000 in seven-seat long-wheelbase configuration. The premium Autobiography spec of that higher trim costs $174,800 for the SWB, or $177,200 for the LWB. A First Edition tops the Range range at $182,000.
Your Tesla is arriving now | Uber Newsroom
– Today, it goes electric: Hertz will make up to 50,000 fully electric Teslas available for drivers to rent by 2023, exclusively for drivers using the Uber network in the US. This is the largest expansion of electric vehicles (EVs) on a mobility platform in North America and one of the largest globally, marking another step towards Uber’s zero-emissions goal.
– Starting November 1, drivers can rent Teslas through Hertz’s rental program in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego and Washington, DC, with a nationwide expansion in the following weeks. This will expose more consumers to the EV experience than ever, as riders who use Uber start seeing Teslas more frequently throughout the holidays.
– Tesla rentals will start out at $334 a week and fall to $299 or lower as the program gets underway. This includes insurance and maintenance and is the best deal available in the market today for drivers looking to rent a Tesla. For the initial launch period, Hertz requires that drivers have at least a 4.7-star rating and have completed at least 150 trips to be eligible.
– While most drivers who use Uber own their cars, many don’t. That’s why Hertz has worked with Uber to offer vehicle rental options since 2016.
Original Source : https://www.uber.com/newsroom/hertztesla/
MERCEDES BETS ENTRY-LEVEL EV BUYERS WILL ACCEPT SHORTER RANGE
– Kallenius is betting consumers will accept shorter driving ranges for cheaper models as prices for key materials rise.
– The world’s biggest luxury-car maker will use lithium-iron-phosphate batteries for its next generation of models like the EQA and EQB from 2024 and 2025, Chief Executive Officer Ola Kallenius said in an interview in Atlanta.
– Most of the auto industry relies on nickel and cobalt in lithium-ion batteries to boost electric car performance. Yet supplies of both materials are constrained. Nickel, which helps provide power and range, is also prone to fire, a risk the industry is spending billions to control.
– Mercedes-Benz will shift to cheaper but less powerful batteries to contain soaring prices for some metals in its range of entry-level models.
– CATL also supplies the nickel-based batteries in the Mercedes EQS. CATL and Mercedes have an agreement that includes LFP batteries using CATL’s “cell-to-pack” engineering, which saves on weight and cost by integrating cells directly into a battery pack.
CHIEFS OF SAMSUNG SDI, STELLANTIS MEET IN HUNGARY FOLLOWING US BATTERY PLANT DEAL
– The Hungary plant, established in 2001, produced cathode ray tubes and plasma display panels for television sets, before being converted to a lithium ion battery production facility in 2016. Since last month, it has been producing Samsung SDI’s high-performance “Gen.5.”
– The chiefs of South Korean battery maker Samsung SDI Co. and global automaker Stallantis N.V. have met in Hungary, company officials said Wednesday, days after announcing a partnership to build an electric vehicle (EV) battery plant in the United States.
– The meeting between Samsung SDI CEO Jun Young-hyun and Carlos Tavares, CEO of Stellantis, came after the two companies announced a plan to jointly build an EV battery plant in the US, with the production to begin in the first half of 2025. It will be Samsung SDI’s first EV plant in the US
Original Source : http://m.koreaherald.com/amp/view.php?ud=20211027000377
SAMSUNG SDI IS ALREADY PRODUCING HIGH-NICKEL CONTENT BATTERY CELLS
– The Gen 5 prismatic battery cells are already being produced in Europe (Hungary) and could be used to give the BMW i3 its long awaited range upgrade. The FIAT 500 that currently uses the same 120 Ah cells as the BMW i3 could also benefit from an upgrade to the more energy dense Gen 5 cells. With the upgrade both electric cars could surpass 400 km of WLTP range and get a faster charging rate (above 100 kW).
TESLA’S UPCOMING NEW CAR PAINT COLORS REVEALED IN ITS APP UPDATE
– It lists three new colors, including the ‘Deep Crimson’ previously announced by Musk:
- Deep Crimson Multicoat
- Abyss Blue Multicoat
- Mercury Silver Metallic
– CEO Elon Musk has been talking about Tesla finally releasing new colors, but it has been linked to a new “most-advanced paint shop” at Gigafactory Berlin. The CEO talked about new multi-layered paints:
“Giga Berlin will have world’s most advanced paint shop, with more layers of stunning colors that subtly change with curvature.“
Musk said that Tesla is working on a new “deep crimson red” that is becoming his favorite feature. It was also spotted on a Model S body at Tesla’s Fremont factory earlier this year. Now we learn of new colors coming to Tesla vehicles thanks to some internet sleuths snooping around the new Tesla mobile app update.
THE WORLD’S FIRST SOLAR-POWERED STEEL MILL IS HERE
– An old steel mill is getting a new lease on life in Pueblo, Colorado. The company will be the first in the world to get the majority of its energy from solar power.
– The EVRAZ Rocky Mountain Steel factory is opening a new chapter in its history. On Wednesday, a partnership called Lightsource BP—yes, that BP—unveiled the Bighorn Solar project, a new 300-megawatt solar farm. Most of the project’s 750,000 solar panels lie on the EVRAZ property itself, making the farm the largest on-site solar project in the nation dedicated to a single customer. The project was first announced in 2019 and is already partially operational. The companies say it will be fully online by next month.
– The iron and steel sector is responsible for 2.8 gigatons of carbon dioxide emissions every year, accounting for 8% of all global energy demand and 7% of energy-related carbon emissions, according to the International Energy Agency. Those emissions are roughly on par with all of India’s in a year. The reason for steel’s large carbon footprint is because manufacturing it largely relies on coal, the most polluting fossil fuel, as both a feedstock and an energy source. The EVRAZ mill has been powered by coal for most of its time in operation.
CITROEN AMI CARGO ELECTRIC CONFIRMED FOR UK SALE IN 2022
– Hot on the heels of the announcement that Citroen Ami will come to the UK in spring 2022, Citroen UK is pleased to confirm that the commercial version – Ami Cargo Electric – will also launch in the UK during 2022.
– The model is 2.41m long, 1.39m wide and 1.52m tall, and has a tight turning circle of just 7.20m, ideal for city driving, manoeuvres and parking.
– Ami Cargo will be adapted for the UK market, but will remain left-hand drive. The extremely compact Ami Cargo is designed to allow fleet and business operators to deliver packages and run services in urban areas. New Ami Cargo Electric features a 5.5kWh Lithium battery pack, connected to a 6kW electric motor for 100% emissions-free driving. The vehicle can be fully charged in just three hours and is capable of up to 46 miles of range. With zero CO2 emissions in use, Ami Cargo is exempt from current and future Congestion and Ultra-low Emissions Zone (ULEZ) charges.
TAKE A LOOK AT THE TRAILER FOR TOP GEAR SERIES 31
– The EQC is part of an electric car triple test and, like the Grand Tour’s Lochdown special, it involves taking caravans off-road. Paddy, Chris and Freddie test it against a Polestar 2 and Audi e-tron Sportback.
MORE URBAN CHARGERS WILL PROMPT EV ADOPTION
– There are about 100,000 public plugs available today. In the yet-to-be-passed infrastructure bill under consideration by Congress is the aim to build out 500,000 more public charging sites, as well as provide other incentives to advance the adoption of EVs. And those sites should be wherever the cars are parked
– The project involves the New York City Department of Transportation, Consolidated Edison (Con Edison) and Energy Flow, and expects to have several dozen curbside plugs installed by the end of the month, said Shawn Yavari, a senior specialist with the Electric Vehicle Demonstration Projects division of Con Edison. The plan is to have 1,000 curbside chargers installed by 2025 and 10,000 by 2030 across all five boroughs.
– The project illustrates not only the unique aspect of city life, which means residents often use street parking, but also the need for charging availability if EV adoption is to take off.
– New York City is at work on a project to install curbside charging units to both serve the electric vehicles already on city streets and encourage the adoption of more of the plug-in cars.
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
How many of the podcast listeners have changed their electricity tariff after buying an electric vehicle? And how many of your regularly change electricity to get the best deal, if that’s possible where you live? How much interest do you take in your electricity supply?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL