If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 27th October. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to new Patreon Producer ANDREW ROBERTON
JAGUAR LAND ROVER INTEND TO JOIN TESLA’S EU CO2 POOL FOR 2021
– Tesla have found a new partner to join its EU CO2 pool for 2021. British-based and Tata owned Jaguar Land Rover intend to form a CO2 pool with the Elon Musk-run company for 2021, alongside Honda that were part of Tesla’s pool last year.
– Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) under the shadow of the semiconductor shortage have likely concluded that they are more willing to derail their CO2 compliance targets in order to help their underlying profits from their higher emitting profitable models than sacrifice these in order to meet their compliance targets.
– JLR also intend to join the Tesla/Honda UK-only pool for 2021 according to UK government data.
– This is the first year UK only CO2 targets – largely carried over from the European system – will be enforced following the transition period which ended at the end of 2020. Last year JLR failed to meet its EU CO2 obligation goal, attributing 35 million GBP to fines for this according to JLR.
Original Source : https://www.schmidtmatthias.de/post/exclusive-jaguar-land-rover-intend-to-join-tesla-s-eu-co2-pool-for-2021
GM TO RESUME LIMITED PRODUCTION AT EV PLANT IN MICHIGAN
– General Motors Co (GM.N) said on Tuesday it will resume limited production for two weeks at its Orion Assembly plant in Michigan, which has been shuttered since August and builds the electric vehicle Chevrolet Bolt.
– GM said limited production will start Nov. 1 to help optimize battery production and supply chain repair logistics, including providing vehicles to be used as courtesy transportation for customers during recall repairs.
– GM disclosed this month its partner South Korea’s LG Electronics (066570.KS) agreed to reimburse it for the $2 billion estimated costs and expenses
– GM and LG said in April they would build a $2.3 billion battery factory in Spring Hill, Tennessee similar to the companies’ Ultium Cells joint-venture plant in Lordstown, Ohio.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/gm-resume-limited-production-ev-plant-michigan-2021-10-26
GM AND DEALERS TEAM UP TO DEPLOY 40,000 ULTIUM CHARGING STATIONS
– GM has announced a new EV charging infrastructure initiative to install up to 40,000 Level 2 EV chargers across the United States and Canada.
According to the ambitious “Dealer Community Charging Program,” GM and its dealers will work together to expand access to charging in local communities, including in underserved, rural and urban areas where EV charging access is often limited.
– Involving dealers in this program is a logical approach seeing as nearly 90 percent of the US population lives within 10 miles (16 km) of a GM dealership, according to the automaker.
GM will be giving each of its EV dealers up to 10 Ultium Level 2 destination charging stations and will be working with them to deploy the chargers at key locations throughout their local communities.
– these charging stations will be available to all EV customers
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/543214/gm-dealers-40000-ultium-chargers
– The “Ultium” brand name of GM’s all-new EV platform, propulsion components and charging ecosystem will soon expand to include a family of three Ultium Chargers for residential and commercial use developed with leading vehicle charging specialist CTEK.
– The Ultium Chargers will include an 11.5 kilowatt/48-amp smart charger, 11.5 kW/48-amp premium smart charger and a 19.2 kW/80-amp premium smart charger. The two premium models include a customizable touchscreen and an embedded camera.All three Ultium chargers are Energy Star Certified, with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity. Each charger features dynamic load balancing and can be upgraded over time through over-the-air software updates with automatic download capabilities.
– To help offset the cost of installing a home charger, customers will be able to roll the price into their GM vehicle financing or leasing plans.
Original Source : https://www.futurecar.com/4955/General-Motors-to-Install-40000-Level-2-EV-Charging-Stations-in-North-America-as-Part-of-its-New-Dealer-Community-Charging-Program
VW RUNS OUT OF EVS
– Originally, Volkswagen had called on its managers to choose cars that were as CO2-friendly as possible as company cars. A special rule on this was already softened in June due to the lack of available EV models.
– Now the situation has apparently worsened due to the electric boom and the chip shortage: Volkswagen just informed its approximately 18,000 managers that electric and hybrid models will “probably not be available for order” as company cars until the end of 2022.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/10/26/vw-runs-out-of-evs
VOLKSWAGEN GROUP — KING OF ELECTRIC CAR SALES IN EUROPE
“In the 3rd quarter of the year, in 10 countries where comprehensive data is publicly available, Volkswagen Group accounted for 27.3% of electric vehicle sales. Tesla was #2 on the list with 15.9% of sales, and Stellantis was 3rd with 13.2%.”
“Aside from Volkswagen Group and Tesla, Stellantis (13.2% of BEV sales), the Hyundai–Kia collab (11.9% of BEV sales), and the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance (10.3% of BEV sales) are above 10% of the BEV sales in these 10 countries. The only other automotive groups above 5% are Daimler (5.7%) and BMW Group (5.3%).”
Original Source : https://cleantechnica.com/2021/10/26/volkswagen-group-king-of-electric-car-sales-in-europe/
STUDENT TRANSPORTATION OF CANADA PLACES ORDER FOR 1,000 LION ELECTRIC SCHOOL BUSES
– The Lion Electric Company, a manufacturer of all-electric medium and heavy-duty urban vehicles, has received a conditional purchase order for 1,000 all-electric LionC school buses from Student Transportation of Canada (STC).
– Under the ZETF program, the Government of Canada aims to invest $2.75 billion over five years to support public transit and school bus operators in the transition to electrification.
– Deliveries would begin in 2022 and occur through the first half of 2026. These electric buses would replace existing diesel vehicles within STC’s Canadian fleet. Lion estimates that the deployment of 1,000 all-electric school buses would help eliminate approximately 23,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions per year.
Original Source : https://ngtnews.com/student-transportation-of-canada-places-order-for-1000-lion-electric-school-buses
ALASKA AIR DONATES PLANE FOR HYDROGEN-POWERED FLIGHT
– Alaska said Tuesday it will donate one of its retired Q400 turboprops as a development project to ZeroAvia, a U.K-based startup that aims to integrate hydrogen fuel cells with electric motors to power aircraft.
– The planned zero-carbon-emitting, hydrogen-fueled electric propulsion system is in the early developmental stage. ZeroAvia’s goal is to deploy it initially on small private planes, eventually working up to 76-seat regional aircraft like the Q400 that flies for Alaska’s Horizon Air subsidiary.
– Alaska said it will collaborate with ZeroAvia to scale up its technology to produce a system capable of powering the Q400 with a range of 500 miles. ZeroAvia said it will set up a location in the Seattle area to support the Q400 project.
Original Source : https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/alaska-air-donates-old-turboprop-plane-to-project-for-hydrogen-powered-flight/
AUDI Q6 E-TRON SPY SHOTS: ELECTRIC PORSCHE MACAN’S AUDI TWIN SPOTTED
– Porsche is about to expand its Macan range with a battery-electric variant based on the new PPE dedicated electric-vehicle platform being cooked up by the automaker in partnership with fellow Volkswagen Group brand Audi.
The electric Macan is due in 2023 and just as we saw with the Porsche Taycan and Audi E-Tron GT twins, it will end up spawning an Audi counterpart.
– A prototype for the Audi has just been spotted again, revealing that it will look like the recently launched Q4 E-Tron, just on a larger scale.
– the Q6 E-Tron is due in 2022, meaning we’ll likely see it arrive at dealerships as a 2023 model, assuming there aren’t any delays from the chip shortage. Production of the Q6 E-Tron will be handled at Audi’s plant in Ingolstadt which is being prepared for production of PPE-based vehicles, as well as batteries.
– we know its PPE platform will have an 800-volt electrical system and a range approaching 300 miles on a charge.
Original Source : https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1065042_2023-audi-q6-e-tron-spy-shots-video
GLOBAL EV GROUP SETS STANDARDS FOR PRICING USED BATTERIES
– Over 100 companies and business groups, including Ford Motor, BMW and Japanese parts maker Denso, have agreed on common standards for evaluating and pricing used electric vehicle batteries.
– The move may be a milestone in the drive to create a vibrant secondhand market for EV batteries and, by extension, used electric vehicles. This in turn could encourage the take-up of electric vehicles more generally.The standards were developed by the Mobility Open Blockchain Initiative and are slated to be available for commercial use by 2022.
– The battery is the single most expensive component in an EV, accounting for about 30% of its cost. But difficulty evaluating batteries means the price of a used EV is based on other factors, such as the popularity of the model.Under the standards proposed by MOBI, data for an individual EV is recorded using blockchain technology, including age, mileage, changes in battery temperature and battery voltage. This data is then used to evaluate the state of the battery and come up with a monetary value.
Original Source : https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Global-EV-group-sets-standards-for-pricing-used-batteries
UBER AND WALLBOX TEAM UP
– Since 80% of EV charging happens at home, the intent of this partnership is to provide drivers using Uber with an easy-to-use and affordable one-stop shop for home charging solutions. As part of the partnership, Wallbox will offer drivers with Uber a discounted package for a Wallbox charger, seamless installation and the option to finance the package.
– Aside from its proximity to both Uber’s HQ and Wallbox’s North American HQ, the Bay Area was chosen for the pilot program as the majority of properties in the area are conducive to home charging, and the area is seeing a rise in the uptake of EVs. If the pilot proves successful, the partnership will be rolled out to other regions in the US, Canada and globally.
Original Source : https://wallbox.com/en_uk/press-room/uber-and-wallbox-team-up-on-the-road-to-zero-emissions.html
HUAWEI HARMONYOS POWERED ARCFOX ALPHA S EV TO BEGIN SHIPPING IN 2021
– The Arcfox Alpha S is a great example of the Chinese tech giant partnering with an automobile brand for an advanced car with autonomous driving features. For those unaware, the Alpha S is the result of over a billion dollars worth of investment for research and development of EV and autonomous driving based research.
– Despite the Arcfox being branded under BAIC, the new electric car’s highlighting features is the Huawei’s “HI” systems. This system is short for Huawei Inside and offers the Level 4 capabilities, which means that the car is capable of full autonomy. The car is priced between 388,900 Yuan and 429,900 Yuna (roughly 60,000 to 66,000 US Dollars) and runs HarmonyOS
– Huawei did showcase the L4 function, with the Arcfox traveling 1,000 kilometers in a busy Chinese city without any human intervention. The car managed to achieve this through a series of sensors, including LiDAR, six millmeter wave radars, 13 ultrasonic radars, and 12 cameras along with Huawei’s own chipset for self driving.
Original Source : https://www.gizmochina.com/2021/10/25/huawei-harmonyos-powered-arcfox-alpha-s-ev-to-begin-shipping-in-q4-2021/
FORD F-150 LIGHTNING PRODUCTION ISN’T DELAYED
– Ford Motor Co. recently tantalized us with the first pre-production F-150 Lightning trucks rolling off the assembly line. This typically means the actual production ones would soon follow. However, some reservation holders are concerned production might be delayed for this new all-electric truck.
– Members of an online forum dedicated to the Lightning posted letters they received from their dealers letting them know about a delay in the order conversion. On LightningOwners.com, the letters some reservation holders posted were disappointing.
– Emma Bergg, Ford’s spokesperson for the F-150 Lightning, tried to put any doubts or speculation to rest.
– Bergg also said any previous conversion date was never anything more than an estimation, and Ford has yet to finalize a date. She also confirmed what was stated in the letter: Production for the Lightning has not been delayed and “deliveries will begin in spring 2022.”
Original Source : https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2021/10/no-the-ford-f-150-lightning-production-isnt-delayed/
CHARIN ANNOUNCES 5TH NORTH AMERICA CONFERENCE AND TESTIVAL ON NOVEMBER 16-18, 2021
– The Charging Interface Initiative (CharIN), a leading trade association accelerating global decarbonization through the electrification of North American transport, today announced that the 5th North America Conference and Testival will take place at the Lucid Motors Headquarters in Newark, California on November 16-18, 2021.
– The Conference will host five extraordinary panels featuring discussion between the sector’s most influential thought leaders and decision-makers on the biggest market trends and the latest cutting-edge technologies in the e-mobility industry. Our itinerary will cover critical topics –from federal and state policy to grid resiliency, consumer adoption, and plug & charge.
Original Source : https://www.wcax.com/prnewswire/2021/10/26/charin-announces-5th-north-america-conference-testival-november-16-18-2021/
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
How many of the podcast listeners have changed their electricity tariff after buying an electric vehicle? And how many of your regularly change electricity to get the best deal, if that’s possible where you live? How much interest do you take in your electricity supply?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL