If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 26th October. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA’S $1 TRILLION VALUE A DOUBLE BONANZA FOR MUSK
– The surge in Tesla Inc’s (TSLA.O) stock market value beyond $1 trillion on Monday is a double bonanza for Chief Executive Elon Musk, the electric car maker’s largest shareholder. The stock rallied 12.7% on news that Tesla landed its biggest-ever order from rental car company Hertz.
– With Tesla’s stock at a record high close of $1,024.86, Musk’s 23% stake in the newly minted trillion-dollar company is now worth about $230 billion
– Musk receives no salary at Tesla: his pay package provides 12 options tranches that vest when Tesla’s market capitalization and financial growth hit a series of rising milestones. The options let Musk buy Tesla shares at $70 each, a discount of more than 90% from their current price.
TESLA-HERTZ BLOCKBUSTER DEAL PAVES WAY TO TAKE EVS MAINSTREAM
– Hertz Global Holdings Inc.’s $4.2 billion deal with Tesla Inc. is about more than just an order for 100,000 cars. It’s about vaulting electric vehicles into the mainstream.
– Not only does Tesla get a huge order at a premium price, it gets a way for the electric-curious masses to test-drive its Model 3. Hertz, meanwhile, gets to tap into the growing interest in EVs while aligning itself with the industry’s leader and sexiest brand. Tesla also will benefit from exposure in a splashy Hertz ad campaign starring seven-time Super Bowl Champion Tom Brady.
– “This is an opportunity not only to fix the business, but also to employ a strategy that allows us to play a central role in development of the modern mobility industry,” Mark Fields, Hertz’s new interim chief executive officer and a former CEO of Ford Motor Co., said in an interview. “One of our objectives is to lead in the adoption of electric vehicles.”
– Elon Musk said in Twitter post that he was a bit surprised by the “strange” jump in value, considering that his automaker’s already selling as many cars as it can make as it speeds up production.
– Until now, Tesla has relied on word-of-mouth and eschewed traditional advertising entirely. But a side benefit of this deal is the Hertz ad campaign where Model 3 rentals will be the focus of Brady’s message. Two TV spots debuting today — entitled “Plugged In” and “Speed” — show the Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback renting, recharging and driving a Tesla from an airport. The tag-line for the commercials is Brady’s signature exhortation, “Let’s Go!”
– Tesla also benefits simply from the size of the order, which is about $4.2 billion, according to people familiar with the terms of the deal. That value suggests Hertz is paying close to full price, breaking with a long-time tradition of automakers selling their wares to rental companies at a deep discount.
– Hertz also said it’s installing “thousands” of charging stations that will augment Tesla’s supercharging ports in the U.S. and Europe.
– For more context. that’s more than the 93,000 that Tesla registered across Western Europe in 2020.
TESLA DOESN’T WANT ANYONE TO SEE ITS RESPONSE TO THE AUTOPILOT INVESTIGATION
– If Tesla’s request is granted, it would effectively bar the public from seeing the company’s response to a host of information that NHTSA has requested regarding its probe into Autopilot and possible defects.
– Tesla wants to keep secret its response to the federal investigation into its Autopilot driver assist system. In a memo submitted to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) last week, regulators noted that Tesla has requested “confidential business information (CBI) treatment for the entirety of the information request submission.”
PANASONIC UNVEILS PROTOTYPE BATTERY TO HELP TESLA LOWER PRODUCTION COSTS
– Panasonic on Monday unveiled a new large prototype battery designed to help Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) Inc lower electric vehicle (EV) production costs, in a move the Japanese company’s battery chief said would deepen business ties with its key U.S. customer.
– as the sole manufacturer of the 4680 format (46 millimetres wide and 80 millimetres tall) battery, Panasonic should remain a critical link in the EV maker’s supply chain, at least for its pricier models.
TESLA BUILDS DATA CENTER, R&D FACILITY IN CHINA
– Tesla said on Monday that it has built a research facility and a data center in Shanghai, both of which will be put into use soon, as the United States electric carmaker ramps up its localization strategy in the country.
– The R&D facility, Tesla’s first outside the US, employs engineers for software, electronics, materials and charging, it said in a statement. Tesla said the facility will develop over time similar in size to the one in the United States.
– The newly built data center in Shanghai will store Tesla’s operation data locally. At an industry forum in September, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said data security will become even more important when vehicles are becoming smart and autonomous.
– China issued trial guidelines on automobile data protection in August in a move to protect drivers’ privacy and safeguard national security as vehicles are becoming increasingly digitalized in the world’s largest auto market.
– Tesla said data about its vehicles sold in China as well as their local production, sales, after-service and charging information will be stored locally in the country.
TESLA MODEL 3 LEADS EV REVOLUTION ACROSS EU IN SEPTEMBER
– Tesla topped the European new car sales charts in September, taking a 2.6% market share, according to the latest figures from JATO Dynamics. This is both the first time an EV has led the EU market and the first time that a vehicle manufactured outside of Europe has occupied the top spot.
– Since its’ entry to the European market, the Model Y has also performed well, securing second position in the BEV ranking. Due to the success of these two models, Tesla leads the BEV market with a share of 24%, ahead of the Volkswagen Group with 22%, Stellantis with 13%, and Hyundai-Kia with almost 11%.
MERCEDES EQB ENTERS SERIAL PRODUCTION
– Series production of the all-electric Mercedes EQB has started at the Mercedes-Benz plant in Kecskemét, Hungary. The EQB, which was presented in April, is manufactured there for the world markets – only the China-specific version is built by the joint venture BBAC in Beijing.
– the angular EQB is only eight centimetres shorter than the EQC, but a full 22 centimetres longer than the EQA. Technically, however, the EQB is more closely related to the EQA; both are based on Mercedes’ compact car platform,
– Hungarian Foreign and Trade Minister Péter Szijjártó was also present at the event to mark the start of series production. He indicated that the Hungarian state had provided 15 billion forints (about 42 million euros) in support of the 50 billion forint (equivalent to about 136 million euros) investment in the plant.
XPENG MOTORS TO LAUNCH 480 KW FAST CHARGING TECHNOLOGY
– After GAC, it’s now time for Xpeng to also announce its plans to build a fast charging network comprised of powerful 480 kW chargers, to fully take advantage of its upcoming 800-volt system platform. As of September 30, Xpeng already counted with 439 fast charging stations in China.
– Xpeng says that its upcoming electric cars built on a new super-efficient 800-volt platform will only require a 5 minutes charge to get enough energy to drive for 200 km.
It’s becoming clear that in a year or two, 800-volt system EV platforms will make most new electric cars not only even more efficient, but also charge a lot faster than they do today. Upcoming 800-volt systems combined with batteries that have silicon/graphene dominant anodes will be the next big step to finally kill the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine).
SAUDI ARABIA TO START ELECTRIC-VEHICLE PUSH IN CAPITAL RIYADH
– Saudi Arabia said that at least 30% of cars in its capital would be electric by 2030, as the world’s biggest oil exporter seeks to reduce planet-warming emissions.
– It’s unclear if the rest of Saudi Arabia will follow Riyadh’s lead or if the city eventually wants to make EV vehicles mandatory.
– Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund has been investing in EVs for several years, including in Tesla rival Lucid.
UK BATTERY ‘GIGAFACTORY’ PLANS HUGE EXPANSION
– The Chinese owner of the UK’s only large-scale battery factory has revealed plans for a big expansion that will put the plant in Sunderland among the biggest electric vehicle facilities in Europe.
– Envision said annual capacity at the plant would eventually rise to 38 gigawatt hours (GWh), an increase from a previous plan of 11GWh that was announced in July
– The Sunderland “gigafactory”, currently capable of annual output of 1.7GWh, was first opened in 2012 to build batteries for Nissan’s Leaf electric vehicle
– Globally there are plans for 247 battery plants with a total output of more than 4,600 GWh, according to Benchmark Minerals, a data company. The industry is dominated by Asian companies, including China’s Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd, South Korea’s LG and Japan’s Panasonic.
UK TRANSPORT COMMITTEE MAKES EV RECOMMENDATIONS
– MPs on the Transport Committee have delivered a set of recommendations to Government to boost the production and purchase of electric vehicles as the net zero deadline approaches.
– Accessible and reliable charging infrastructure must be available by 2030 but drivers who live in rural or remote areas or who don’t have off-street parking risk being left behind.
– The Government must:
- Work with the National Grid to map national coverage to eradicate ‘not-spot’ areas and identify locations where the Grid will not cope with additional usage
– Address the discrepancy between the 5% VAT incurred for home charging and 20% VAT for on-street
– Insist that industry uses price to change consumer charging behaviour to a ‘little but often’ approach and at times when the National Grid can meet total demand
BATTERY ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM WITH 50MW CAPACITY GOES LIVE
– Pivot Power, Wärtsilä and EDF have together activated a 50MW battery energy storage system in Kent. The unit is based at Pivot Power’s Kemsley site and the companies hope it will help bolster the UK’s net zero ambitions.
– The lithium-ion battery energy storage system is directly connected to National Grid’s network and will be used to provide more flexibility and support to the country’s electricity grid. This is the second project of its kind to begin operations, as part of Pivot Power’s plans to build 40 similar sites across the UK to provide 2GW of flexible capacity. The first project was built in Cowley, Oxford and went live last June.
Original Source : https://www.energylivenews.com/2021/10/26/battery-energy-storage-system-with-50mw-capacity-goes-live/
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
How many of the podcast listeners have changed their electricity tariff after buying an electric vehicle? And how many of your regularly change electricity to get the best deal, if that’s possible where you live? How much interest do you take in your electricity supply?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL