If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 25th October. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
MKBHD DRIVES RIVIAN R1T
“It’s just hitting the streets and for the next 24 hours, I’m going to drive it. I’m going to live with it, spend some time with it, and then I’m going to try to answer all of the questions people have had about it that I possibly can. And there are a lot of questions, because this is a very hyped up vehicle, this is maybe the most promising of any of the EVs coming out of the start-ups. This I think is the most interesting of all of them right now, thanks in part by their background with Amazon and Ford. The basic specs are this: it’s quad motors, one on each 21 inch all-terrain wheel, 314 miles of range, 0 to 60 in three seconds flat, which is hilariously quick for pickup truck. And then this is the launch edition with the adventure package, which includes a lot of the most premium interior finishes. It has the off-road upgrade and pretty much all the options. So it starts at just over $70,000 and it can quickly jump up into mid eighties or 90 plus from there. So definitely premium, but it’s packing a lot of stuff that makes it feel worth the price.”
ELON MUSK TWEETS THAT TESLA IS ROLLING BACK ‘FULL SELF-DRIVING’
– Tesla is dialing back its Full Self-Driving software, CEO Elon Musk said Sunday, after discovering software bugs in the new batch of the software beta. The company had rolled out a new version of its driver-assistance software to an expanded group of users over the weekend, but Musk said that it proved problematic and that the company was working on fixes.
– Users reported sporadic issues including hard braking events, forward collision warnings and other system misfires that had not been present in previous versions.
Elon Musk on Twitter: “Regression in some left turns at traffic lights found by internal QA in 10.3. Fix in work, probably releasing tomorrow. Seeing some issues with 10.3, so rolling back to 10.2 temporarily. Please note, this is to be expected with beta software. It is impossible to test all hardware configs in all conditions with internal QA, hence public beta.”
Original Source : https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1451907229796417542
– While several posters said the 10.3 update introduces phantom forward collision warnings (FCW), other issues noted included a disappearing Autosteer option, traffic aware cruise control (TACC) problems, and occasional AutoPilot panic. It’s unclear how common these problems are and which ones, if any, caused the rollback, but Musk responded to a tweet about the Autosteer and TACC issues saying the company is working on it.
– The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (TSLA.O) said Monday it was aware of reported changes to Tesla’s Full Self-Driving (FSD) beta advanced driver assistance system and had contacted the automaker for more information.
NTSB CHAIR CALLS ON ELON MUSK TO CHANGE DESIGN OF TESLA AUTOPILOT
– National Transportation Safety Board Chairwoman Jennifer Homendy has called on Tesla to change the design of its advanced driver assistance system to ensure it cannot be misused by drivers, according to a letter sent to the company’s CEO Elon Musk.
– The letter, which TechCrunch has viewed, expressed concern that Tesla has yet to implement two safety recommendations that the NTSB issued more than four years ago. The urgency to address those safety recommendations has increased now that Tesla is rolling out more automated driving functions through its so-called “Full Self-Driving” software beta.
– The NTSB can only make recommendations and does not have the authority to enforce existing laws or make policy.
– Homendy also noted that it sent five other automakers that have vehicles with Level 2 driving automation systems a recommendation to apply ways to engage and alert the driver. Those five manufacturers responded to NTSB and described the action they planned to take or were taking to better monitor a driver’s level of engagement, according to Homendy’s letter to Musk.
LUCID AIR DREAM EDITION DELIVERIES RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER
– Lucid has released a photo of a vehicle carrier with six fully packaged Lucid Air electric cars on their way to a destination. We guess that those are the first customer cars – Lucid Air Dream Edition – that within the coming days or weeks will be delivered. The company said a month ago that the first deliveries are expected in October so only several days are left to fulfil the promise.
– The production of the Lucid Air started on September 28 in Casa Grande, Arizona, so it’s now been almost a month of a careful ramp up of this all-new, luxury EV.
– Lucid had over 13,000 reservations for the Air when it started production, but we assume that the beginning will be slow, as quality control and satisfaction must be prioritized.
– The initial production run will be 520 Dream Edition units (Range or Performance versions) after which Lucid will move to more regular types and more and more affordable versions – Air Grand Touring, Air Touring and Air.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/543022/lucid-air-dream-edition-coming/
SAIC-VW LAUNCHES ID.3 SALES IN CHINA
– Volkswagen has started selling the ID.3 in China. Three variants are offered at prices starting at 159,888 yuan, the equivalent of about 21,500 euros. As reported, the compact electric car is produced locally by SAIC Volkswagen in Anting.
– According to the Chinese electric car portal CnEVPost, sales of the ID.3 began on Friday. The entry-level variant is said to cost 159,888 yuan (around 21,500 euros), the other two variants 173,888 yuan (around 23,400 euros) each. The portal does not provide details on these variants. However, various media report that they are both models with 125-kW and 310-Nm rear-wheel drive and the medium-sized 58-kWh battery.
VW ID5 GTX ARRIVES NOV 3RD
Volkswagen News on Twitter: “Ready for a Berlin night? 🌙 Our new #VWID5GTX is an ideal companion: elegant, expressive, electrifying – just like the capital itself. Watch as it shows off its sleek yet powerful body in front of the Berlin Victory Column! Don’t miss the #EVs world premiere on Nov 3rd!”
Original Source : https://twitter.com/volkswagen/status/1450509045417250817
GWM-BACKED SVOLT LAUNCHES 182.6GWH BATTERY CAPACITY EXPANSION PLANS
– SVOLT, a Chinese EV power battery manufacturer carved out of Great Wall Motor (GWM), for the first time appeared on the list of the global top 10 EV battery manufacturers by monthly power battery installation capacity in August, according to the data from the market research firm SNE Research.
– According to the data announced by SVOLT and complied by Gasgoo, the battery manufacturer released battery capacity plans amounting to 182.6GWh during the first ten months of 2021.
– 80GWh of the total capacity increase announced this year will be in Southwest China’s Sichuan province with 29 billion yuan ($4.534 billion) worth of investment involved. Notably, the project for Chengdu was the biggest one signed so far this year in terms of both planned battery capacity and investment value.
Original Source : https://autonews.gasgoo.com/m/70018973.html
‘TREMENDOUS PENT-UP’ CAR DEMAND GOING INTO 2022: AUTONATION CEO
– According to the Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index, wholesale used car and truck prices rose 8.3% in the first 15 days of October compared to September. Going into 2022, AutoNation (AN) CEO Mike Jackson believes demand for vehicles will not abate anytime soon.
– With used car prices soaring 37% over the past 12 months amid the global semiconductor shortage and other supply crunches, Jackson spoke to how consumers have been reacting in the face of rising prices.
– As for electric vehicles, Jackson is optimistic for the growing industry segment. “There is no turning back,” he said. “We have exciting electric vehicles already here or about to come, whether it’s the Mercedes EQS or the General Motors (GM) Hummer. There are absolutely fantastic electric vehicles. We have a whole portion of our website dedicated to electric vehicles, and we fully embrace it and look forward to it.”
HYUNDAI OFFERS TO BUY BACK NEXO HYDROGEN CARS WITH STACK DEFECTS
– Hyundai Motor Co. has introduced a compensation program for owners of the hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicle Nexo, 15,000 units of which have been recalled since August for quality defects.
It recently notified Nexo owners that it has decided to introduce a ‘buy-back’ program for used cars..
– It costs around 40 million won (US$33,990) to replace a single stack, which is enough to buy a new medium-sized sedan.
– The company will pay compensation based on the car’s date of release and distance travelled, for all out of warranty Nexos that require a replacement of the ‘stack’, the car’s core operating device.
UK: FOUR IN 10 PARENTS WANT THEIR KIDS TO LEARN TO DRIVE IN AN ELECTRIC CAR
– Four in every 10 UK parents want their children to take their driving lessons in electric vehicles (EVs), according to new research. A survey by French car manufacturer Peugeot follows a record sales month for EVs in the UK, with more than 32,000 electric cars registered in September 2021 alone.
– The study of more than 1,200 people found 40 percent of parents would like to see their children learn to drive in an electric car. And 25 percent said their children “regularly” pester them about switching from fossil fuels such as petrol and diesel to zero-emission electric power.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/542054/parents-kids-learn-electric-car/
SIXT OFFERS TRAVELLERS CHOICE OF HYBRID AND ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– Munich-based car rental and ride-hailing firm Sixt will now allow travellers to choose a hybrid or electric vehicle when booking a transfer or limousine service.
– CO2-efficient models are available in the UK as well as several other European cities across France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
– Customers can now select the hybrid or fully electric vehicles when booking trips online or via the Sixt app.
PARTS AND SERVICE, THE COMING EV DISRUPTION THAT NOBODY’S TALKING ABOUT
– It’s a transition that will be felt well beyond Detroit, as millions of workers at repair shops, gas stations, oil fields and farms find their jobs affected by an economic dislocation of historic proportions. “Anybody who thinks this transition is going to go smoothly is fooling themselves,” said Michael Robinet, executive director of automotive advisory services for consulting firm IHS Markit.
Making, selling and servicing vehicles employ an estimated 4.7 million people in the U.S., according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Some of the jobs won’t go away, of course — there will still be a need for dealerships and tire shops.
– Conventional cars will probably remain on the road for years, softening the blow for repair shops and other affiliated industries. But with an average lifespan of 12 years, the trend lines for gasoline-powered vehicles will be heading down. The shift will reduce demand for oil nearly by 4.7 million barrels a day by 2040 in the U.S. alone, according to projections by BloombergNEF. That’s about 26% of U.S. consumption, roughly equivalent to the amount that Germany and Brazil combined consumed daily in 2020.
– The UAW, which has estimated the shift to electric could result in the loss of 35,000 union jobs, says it is taking a realistic approach and is pushing for protections for workers. That includes commitments that jobs be located in the U.S. at comparable wages and benefits.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/24/electric-vehicle-parts-service/
ROYAL CARIBBEAN GROUP TO USE FUEL CELL, BATTERY, DUAL FUEL ENGINES
– Royal Caribbean Group’s new class of ships known as ‘Project Evolution’, set to debut in summer 2023, will operate using a trio of power sources including a fuel cell system, battery technology and dual fuel engines using liquefied natural gas (LNG) as the main fuel. This tribrid solution with the hydrogen fuel cell system allows the ship to be free of local emissions while at port.
– Fuel Cell System – this hydrogen-based technology will supplement the main power supply and carry the ship’s total hotel load—up to four megawatts—the first large-scale fuel-cell installation at sea in the cruise industry.
LNG (Liquid Natural Gas) – a cleaner burning fuel, LNG-fueled propulsion systems emit less CO2 and 97% fewer particulates than normal fuel oil used on ships.
Battery – a bank of batteries supports optimizing the overall ship power system, saving fuel.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/10/20211025-rcl.html
INDIA AND THE UK PLAN A 140-COUNTRY SOLAR GRID
“The project, titled Green Grids Initiative-One Sun One World One Grid (GGI-OSOWOG or OSOWOG), aims to harness solar energy wherever the sun is shining as the earth completes its 24-hour rotation around its axis, and transporting the electricity generated to areas that need it. The grid is to be developed in three phases.” says Quartz India: “The OSOWOG project works on the idea that solar energy can be sent across high-voltage direct cables across continents, even from under the ocean, to needy countries. It envisages India at the centre of the solar spectrum, flanked by two broad zones: the “Far East”, including Myanmar, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia, and the “Far West”, covering the Middle East and Africa. OSOWOG aims to link existing national and regional grids to each other in order to create multiple intra-continental grids and eventually a single intercontinental global grid connecting the world.”
NEW QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
How many of the podcast listeners have changed their electricity tariff after buying an electric vehicle? And how many of your regularly change electricity to get the best deal, if that’s possible where you live? How much interest do you take in your electricity supply?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
REALTORS CHOICE PHOTOGRAPHY
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL