If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 12th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
RIVIAN’S ADVENTURE NETWORK OFFICIALLY UNDERWAY
– Tesla may have its impressive Supercharging Network, but Rivian wants customers to go well beyond the pavement.According to Rivian Forums, the first waypoint chargers have been spotted at Under Canvas, Utah, just north of Moab. These level 2 chargers with a 240-volt electric supply are expected to be solar-powered.
– A full charge will take all night, but this shouldn’t be a problem for this particular location because it’s for camping. Just get there, pitch a tent, and then park and plug in the vehicle for the night and kick back and relax.
– Rivian’s new network will also include fast-chargers capable of providing up to 140 miles of range in only 20 minutes. We don’t know yet whether non-Rivian owners will have access to the fast chargers and/or some level 2 units.
– Another interesting thing these waypoint chargers are good for is that they probably also power the entire campsite. Camping is all about simplicity but having access to a consistent electricity source is quite convenient, especially in an emergency situation.
Original Source : https://carbuzz.com/news/rivians-adventure-network-officially-underway
TOYOTA URGES HOUSE COMMITTEE TO REJECT ‘BLATANTLY BIASED PROPOSAL’
– Japanese automaker Toyota urged a House committee to reject a “’blatantly biased proposal” that would expand tax credits to electric vehicles that are union-made.
– Toyota said while the company supported the mission to reduce carbon emissions and sell electric vehicles, they believed that the proposal to give additional tax credits to electric cars that were union-made was discriminatory.
– On Friday, House Democrats introduced a proposal to expand the tax credits for electric vehicles. Most electric vehicles would have a tax credit of $7,500. That, however, would jump to $12,500 if the cars are union-made.
– General Motors, Ford Motor Company and Chrysler parent Stellantis NV would benefit from the proposal given that they employ union workers.
– Still, several environmental and union groups have issued their support for the proposal in addition to Ford, GM and Stellantis.
DEMOCRATS UNVEIL NEW EV TAX CREDIT PROPOSAL WITH BOOST FOR UNIONS
– For five years, the legislation would implement $7,500 point-of-sale consumer rebates for electric vehicles and pay out an additional $4,500 for vehicles assembled in a union facility. Another $500 would be awarded for vehicles using a battery manufactured in the U.S.
– For the next five years after that, the $7,500 base credit would only apply to electric vehicles made in the U.S., but the other two incentives would stay the same.
– The first five years should incentivize EV adoption and domestic battery production, while the latter half should narrow it down to domestic producers
– Sedans under $55,000, vans under $64,000, SUVs under $69,000 and pick-up trucks under $74,000 would be eligible for the credits. Individuals with an adjusted gross income of up to $400,000, heads of households making up to $600,000 and joint filers making up to $800,000 would be able to use the program.
US: ENTRY-LEVEL TESLA MODEL 3/Y DELIVERY TIME EXTENDS TO FEBRUARY
– According to the online design studio, the entry-level Model 3 Standard Range Plus (SR+) will be delivered in February 2022 (previously January), which is about five months from now. The Long Range and Performance versions are respectively December and November.
– A similar situation concerns the Tesla Model Y. The Long Range (AWD) version is now expected in February (previously January), while the Performance version in November.
– Model 3 Standard Range Plus (SR+) is now rated at 262 miles (422 km), which is one mile less than before
– EPA range of the Tesla Model S Plaid (19″ version) – up from 390 miles (628 km) to 396 miles (637 km).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/532417/us-tesla-model3y-delivery-extends/
UK LEGISLATION WILL REQUIRE ALL NEW HOMES TO HAVE EV CHARGEPOINTS
– If pending UK legislation becomes law, all new home construction will include electric vehicle (EV) charging installations. New office buildings are part of the plan, too: they will need to provide charging infrastructure per every 5 parking spaces.
– The Consultation Description begins with the following language. “We are proposing to alter building regulations for: new residential buildings to include requirements for electric vehicle chargepoints; new non-residential buildings to include requirements for electric vehicle chargepoint infrastructure; and, existing non-residential buildings to have electric vehicle chargepoints.”
– The UK legislation, billed as the first of its kind in the world, will require all chargers to be “smart” devices that will enable batteries to be replenished without overloading the grid. Such connectivity language in the UK legislation will have the effect of promoting the use of overnight charging, so that a data connection can communicate with the car about best timing to plug into the grid.
– The new charging points might be be as simple as a Level 2 charger in a suburban garage or as costly as a bank of DC fast chargers in an underground office parking lot.
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD FOR MODIFIED VOLVO FH ELECTRIC TRUCK
– A modified Volvo FH has laid claim to an electric truck distance record – 1,099km on a single charge. Three European firms – DPD Switzerland, Continental and Futuricum – were involved in the Guinness World Record attempt for the longest distance covered by an electric truck without a recharging stop. E-truck brand Futuricum modified the base Volvo FH for package-delivery company DPD Switzerland, with the actual truck used for the record attempt pulled from its fleet after six months of active delivery duty
– The 19-ton truck now has over 680hp and, with a capacity of 680 kilowatt hours, the largest truck battery in Europe on board
– It has a banked 2.8km oval track providing ample space for the Futuricum truck to ‘stretch its legs’. In total, two drivers completed 392 laps in shifts of 4.5 hours each at an average speed of 50 km/h, which the participants say mimicks the truck’s daily average. Despite “less-than-ideal weather conditions”, the record-breaking partners said it took just under 23 hours
NSW RELEASES MASTERPLAN FOR 1,000 “ULTRA-FAST” CHARGING BAYS ALONG MAJOR ROUTES
– The New South Wales state Liberal government has released details for its electric vehicle charging masterplan, which will aim to install 1,000 “ultra-fast” charging bays along major routes, and an interactive map to guide network owners where they should install their facilities.
– The plan for the rollout of 350kW chargers was unveiled by transport minister Andrew Constance and energy and environment minister Matt Kean, and promises the biggest EV charging network of any state or territory in Australia.
– NSW hopes to have the 1,000 charging bays in place by 2027. It will release the support funding in four different rounds, and winning tenderer will have two years to complete their installations.
TESLA (TSLA) RAISES MODEL Y PERFORMANCE CAR PRICE IN CHINA
– Tesla TSLA recently announced a price hike for its Model Y Performance car in China.
– The electric vehicle (EV) maker has escalated the price of the Performance version of the Made-in-China Tesla Model Y by 10,000 yuan ($1,550) or 2.6%, from 377,900 yuan to 387,900 yuan ($60,192), due to higher manufacturing costs. Nonetheless, the prices of the two other versions, i.e. the cheaper Standard Range version (introduced in China in July) and the Long Range version, remain unaltered, starting from 276,000 yuan and 347,900 yuan, respectively.
– Internationally, Tesla’s Model Y SUV is sold in two variants: Long Range and Performance.
– It is only in the China market that Tesla offers the cheaper Standard Range version, which debuted in July this year.
– ahead of its Indian debut, a test mule of Tesla’s Model Y electric SUV without camouflage has been spotted testing on the Indian roads. While fans were sure that Tesla’s first product for India will be the Model 3, which has been spied a couple of times on Indian roads, the latest testing confirms that Model Y will be the second offering in India.
E-BIKE REVIEW: GOCYCLE G4, A MCLAREN DESIGNER’S TAKE ON E-MOBILITY
– The Gocycle G4 is one of the newest editions of the award-winning Karbon Kinetics’ Gocycle range. Founded in the early 2000s by former McLaren industrial designer Richard Thorpe, the company has been improving on the original Gocycle for almost 20 years. This latest model is a perfect example of innovating where necessary while not being afraid to keep the best bits the same.
– One update from the G3/Gx models is the introduction of the torque from a standing start. Previously this was only available from 4mph, but by adding it to when you set off, you can get away quicker and with less effort. This is exceptionally helpful when you’re setting off from traffic lights, or on a hill.
– Obviously the more you use the motor, the faster the battery drains, but Gocycle suggests a range of up to 40 miles is the norm, and our testing backed that up.
– The G4 is a folding bike with the power and finesse of a regular e-bike and embodies the best of the motoring world in a neatly engineered package.
– Cost £3399
HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 VS Q4 E-TRON VS POLESTAR 2 VS MODEL 3 GROUP TEST (2021) REVIEW
– We’re gonna need our X-ray specs for this Giant Test: to see through the fart modes in Tesla’s Toybox, the achingly cool Tonka style of the Back To The Future Ioniq 5, the Audi’s dancing strobe lights and quartic steering wheel, and Polestar’s vegan interiors and built-in Google Assistant. This quartet is bristling with innovation and gadgetry, but it’s our job to separate the sweet from the naff, the super from the superficial.
– Which you’d pick will ultimately depend on your appetite for form over function, coolness over capability. Do you want to make a statement as you plug in? Or would you rather be reassured by a welcome dose of familiarity? If it’s the latter, the Q4 e-Tron is a well-judged introduction to electrification. It looks and feels exactly like an Audi should and benefits from the brand’s reputation for Germanic quality, ergonomics and comfort. We especially like the e-Tron’s roominess
– We were amazed by how normal the Tesla Model 3 now feels. Rivals have had to turn the innovation dial up to 11 to catch up and the Californian is now feeling less shouty, more mature. The Model 3 Long Range does exactly what it says on the tin, with a razor-sharp drive, a clever, subtly improved cabin and the best EV skillset of any brand on the planet. The original EV catalyst is still quite the catch.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
IAA mobility show is this week. The most headline grabbing cars from the big names will get the headlines, but do YOU think needs electrifying to fill a gap in the market?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL