If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 11th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
HOW LONG DOES THE VOLKSWAGEN ID.4 TAKE TO CHARGE FROM 0% TO 100%?
– Although we’ve already done some DC fast charging tests, we had the opportunity to repeat the test on an ID.4 First Edition, so we drained the battery down to zero and charged it up to 100% on an Electrify America 150 kW DC fast charger.
– The ID.4 has an 82 kWh battery, of which 77 kWh is usable. Its peak charging rate is supposed to be 125 kW, but we were able to touch 131 kW. In fact, the ID.4 charged at 123 kW or more all the way up to the 30% state of charge point, and it took only 12 minutes to do so.
– 50% state of charge in 20 minutes, and after 40 minutes, the vehicle is at 80% state of charge and has taken in 67 kWh.
– While the vehicle was charging from 0% to 80%, the average power it took in was 110 kW, which is nearly 90% (88%, actually) of its stated peak charging rate.
– As good a charging EV as the ID.4 is, it may get even better very soon. That’s because we have heard that Volkswagen may soon increase the ID.4’s maximum charge rate from 125 kW to 175 kW through an OTA software update.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/531867/volkswagen-id4-fast-charging-test
TESLA MODEL S PLAID SETS NÜRBURGRING “RECORD”
– The Tesla Model S Plaid, yoke and all, appears to have set a new electric production lap record of the Nürburgring with a 7 minute 30.9 seconds tour. The lap, the onboard of which was rather abruptly uploaded to the company’s YouTube channel today (10th September) has not been verified by Nürburgring officials would be over 11 seconds faster than the Porsche Taycan Turbo S’s previous benchmark.
– Telsa appearing to max out at 286km/h (177mph) down the legendary Döttinger Höhe straight. The car appears to be virtually standard, at least to the naked eye, with the only obvious changes being a visible rollcage, accurate racing speedo and small red killswitch on the centre console.
Original Source : https://www.goodwood.com/grr/road/news/2021/9/video-tesla-model-s-plaid-sets-nurburgring-record/
TESLA SHARES MODEL S PLAID “TRACK PACK” DETAILS, RELEASE DATE, AND ROLLOUT STRATEGY
– Elon Musk has shared some insights on the Model S Plaid’s “Track Pack.” He also shared some modifications Tesla plans to implement for the flagship sedan in its next Nurburgring record attempt and a potential rollout strategy for owners who wish to modify their vehicles for maximum track performance.
Next will be modified Plaid with added aero surfaces, carbon brakes & track tires (all things that can be done without Tesla being in the loop)
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-track-pack-details-release-date-elon-musk/
2022 RIVIAN R1T GEAR TUNNEL HANDS-ON REVIEW
– When the 2022 Rivian R1T electric pickup truck made its debut, it impressed us with its design, range, and capability. Besides looking quite different from any pickup truck on the market today, the Rivian R1T has a ton of storage space provided by its 4.5-foot bed, its frunk, its in-bed trunk, and its gear tunnel.
– The answer as to what fits in the tunnel is: a bunch of whatever you like. The Rivian R1T’s gear-tunnel volume is 11.6 cubic feet, or 0.6 cubic foot more than the R1T’s frunk. On our (TAT) adventure, we fit a couple of carry-on sized suitcases, a couple of duffle bags, a backpack, and a briefcase in the tunnel all at the same time. The gear tunnel is deep, and if you’re good with Tetris you can fit even more stuff than you think, especially if you have items you can fold, bend, or squeeze. The storage space was designed to fit golf bags, skis, snowboards, or collapsed strollers, but feel free to stash your umbrellas, fishing poles, or other similarly sized and shaped items. It also has a 12-volt outlet and a 110-volt outlet, one at each end, for powering various accessories.
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-rivian-r1t-gear-tunnel-review/
2022 POLESTAR 2 OFFICIALLY GETS 7% MORE EPA RANGE VS 2021 MY
– The recently announced 2022 Polestar 2 is coming to the U.S. later this year – the Dual Motor version in October, and the all-new Single Motor version at the end of 2021.
– the latest EPA range and efficiency ratings for the 2022 Polestar 2 Dual Motor, which on paper should have about 16 miles (26 km) or 7% more range – 249 miles (401 km), compared to the outgoing 2021 model year version.
– The 249 miles (401 km) value is the EPA Combined range value. It should be slightly lower on the highway, which we will probably test at some point in the future.
Original Source : https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/other/2022-polestar-2-officially-gets-7-more-epa-range-vs-2021-my/ar-AAOkAib
2022 VOLVO XC40 RECHARGE CAN DRIVE FURTHER PER CHARGE
– Volvo has now confirmed that the 2022 XC40 Recharge will see changes that gain driving range compared to the 2021 model. Specifically, Volvo says its EPA Combined driving range for the 2022 model is 7.2 percent better than before.
– While that might not sound like much, that’s an additional 15 miles of driving per charge bringing the range to 223 miles.
– For 2021, the XC40 Recharge started at a base price of $53,990. For 2022, the XC40 Recharge base price is $55,300.
Original Source : https://www.slashgear.com/2022-volvo-xc40-recharge-can-drive-further-per-charge-12690539/
NIO LAUNCHES EUROPEAN DEBUT OF THE ET7
– Nio has presented its ET7 electric sedan, unveiled in China earlier this year, in Germany – and Europe – for the first time. Nio also confirms that the ET7 will be the first model to be launched in Germany in 2022.
– Nio had announced the market entry in Norway as the first European country. Starting this month, the first examples of the ES8 E-SUV will be delivered there.
– Nio now confirmed that the first vehicles in Germany will be delivered in the fourth quarter of 2022 – but unlike in Norway, it will not be the ES8, but the ET7 electric sedan.
– The ET7 is a 5.10-metre-long premium sedan with up to 480 kW of power and – measured in the outdated NEDC – up to 1,000 kilometres of range when the largest battery with 150 kWh is installed.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/09/10/nio-launches-european-debut-of-the-et7/
NIO’S NEW ET7 SEDAN COULD INCLUDE LOW-COST LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY
– Nio, Inc. (NYSE: NIO) unveiled its all-new ET7 sedan at its Nio Day event in early January, and deliveries of the EV maker’s first-ever sedan will likely begin in the first quarter of 2022.
– Nio could release a version of the ET7 with low-cost lithium iron phosphate, or LFP, batteries, as opposed to the ternary lithium-ion batteries it now uses, the CnEVPost reported, citing information released by China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.The ET7 was included in MIIT’s list of the latest models that will be part of its product announcement, the report said. This suggests the sedan will likely hew to Nio’s scheduled delivery timeframe.The ET7’s description in the list reportedly suggests batteries for the model will be supplied by Nio’s longtime supplier CATL.
– LFP batteries are relatively cheaper than ternary lithium-ion batteries. The adoption of LFP batteries could make the ET7 affordable to potential customers.
Original Source : https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nios-et7-sedan-could-low-181619089.html
XPENG TO OFFICIALLY LAUNCH THE P5 SEDAN
– Chinese electric vehicle startup Xpeng will officially launch its third battery-powered model on Sept 15 named the P5. The P5 is the world’s first production vehicle equipped with lidar technology from the factory to support autonomous driving.
– The new P5 is being marketed as a more “family friendly” sedan under its more expensive P7. Pre-sales of P5 began mid-July. Xpeng said the pre-sale this summer has already received enthusiastic responses from customers in China.
– The company first unveiled the P5 in April at the annual Auto Shanghai car show. Deliveries to customers will start in October.
– The P5’s double-prism lidar sensors are capable of identifying pedestrians, cyclists or scooters, static obstacles, and construction zones, even at night or in low-light conditions, such as when traveling in a tunnel.
Original Source : https://www.futurecar.com/4860/Tesla-Challenger-XPeng-to-Officially-Launch-the-P5-Sedan-its-3rd-Electric-Model-on-Sept-15
ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS
– Electric charging stations are equipped with a wide range of self-diagnosis opportunities and may be able to report errors directly. However, the story does not end with a diagnosis and an automatic error report. Who cares about the repair processes, who commissions the service provider to undertake the repair, who informs all responsible persons, who forwards the information to the e.g. navigation device of the vehicle driver to let him know that the station is not available, who has the overview over the whole process? The solution is when right actions are taken in a timely manner. For this an end-to-end service workflow needs to be established. Good news is that such work flow systems exist already in traditional fuel retail and just need to be applied to electric vehicles. The job then becomes how to best integrate system generated alarms and process them to the right service teams and as in fuel retails make sure the right self-checks are in place to be performed. The better the organization of the fuel and charging station the higher the possibilities to stand out and develop a stable market position.
Original Source : https://www.petrolplaza.com/news/28107
WORLD OF ELECTRIC VEHICLES CAN HAVE STRONG AFGHANISTAN CONNECTION
– War-scattered Afghanistan might be low in terms of industrial richness but the country has the potential to encash its huge reserve of essential minerals. Afghanistan’s mineral reserve is valued at up to $3 trillion and a huge chunk of this is attributed to lithium, the most essential mineral required for EV batteries.
– Afghanistan is sitting on high-value mineral deposits estimated to be worth between $1-$3 trillion. It has a rich reserve of various minerals including lithium, tungsten, lead, copper, iron, mercury etc. Experts estimate that the country may have the world’s largest lithium reserves. In fact, if the lithium reserve in Afghanistan can be extracted, it is estimated it could beat Chile and Australia as well.
– Despite having a vast reserve for lithium and other rare earth, Afghanistan lacks the infrastructure required to extract those minerals. The demand for lithium, cobalt and neodymium has been increasing worldwide. But, extracting these minerals require huge investment and infrastructure.
Several US, European and Asian companies have shown their interest in setting up mining infrastructure in Afghanistan to extract these minerals. However, the unstable political scenario in the country has barred them from doing so.
- Original Source : https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto/news/the-world-of-electric-vehicles-can-have-a-strong-afghanistan-connection-41631018662687.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
IAA mobility show is this week. The most headline grabbing cars from the big names will get the headlines, but do YOU think needs electrifying to fill a gap in the market?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL