If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 10th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA MODEL Y LANDS IN NETHERLANDS IN 30% PLUGIN SHARE MONTH
– The Dutch plugin vehicle (PEV) market continues in the fast lane, with 6,637 plugin registrations logged last month. That meant that last month’s PEV share of the overall passenger auto market reached 30% (20% BEV), pulling the year-to-date PEV share to 22% (12% BEV) and the total tally to 45,426 units
– In August, the plugin sales leader was again the Kia Niro EV, with 753 registrations, placing it as the leader in the overall auto market. The runner-up was the Skoda Enyaq, with the Czech station-wagon-disguised-as-a-crossover registering 487 units.
– BEVs are returning to form, getting 66% of August’s registrations.
TESLA PLANS ENERGY TRADING TEAM AS COMPANY EXPANDS BATTERY PROJECTS
– Electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) is looking to staff an energy trading team to support its battery and renewable power projects, according to Tesla’s website and an employee post on the career site LinkedIn.com.
– The company plans to use an in-house automated trading platform, called Autobidder, for “bidding batteries into multiple wholesale energy markets,” according to the job description on Tesla’s website.
– The job requires expertise in wholesale electricity markets, and the candidate will “lead trading and real-time operations for battery, solar, and wind projects participating in wholesale energy markets,” using Autobidder, according to the job posting.
WHY RIVIAN’S “TANK TURN” STATIONARY SPIN FEATURE IS DELAYED
– First, unless conditions are perfect, it’s possible each wheel will have a different amount of grip than the others and require more or less power to break traction. While the truck’s computer can read the road surface via suspension inputs as you’re driving, there’s no good way for it to know exactly what the surface under each tire is like when you come to a stop. If any wheel is getting too much or too little power during a Tank Turn, it can cause the vehicle to spin off in a random direction instead of rotating in one place. Power delivery has to be programmed very carefully to respond to changing grip before and during a Tank Turn. You can see this issue crop up right at the beginning of the video.
– because the truck’s wheelbase isn’t square (that is, because there’s more distance between the front and rear axles than there is between the wheels on either side of each axle), it won’t always rotate around the exact center of the vehicle, especially if the surface isn’t consistent. If the point of rotation is off center, it can cause the vehicle to spin off in any direction instead of rotating in one place. A safeguard needs to be programmed to recognize this situation and either correct it or end the Tank Turn.
– In order to execute a Tank Turn, all four wheels have to break traction. Once that happens, the truck is at the mercy of physics. If the surface is inclined in any direction, the truck will slide that direction as it spins.
– During testing, Rivian discovered the amount of power needed to get all four wheels spinning results in a lot of wheel speed, which ends up making the truck spin around very fast. From inside the truck, it’s a hell of a ride, so much so there’s concern it’ll scare drivers who aren’t ready for it
- Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/why-rivian-tank-turn-stationary-spin-feature-is-delayed
MERCEDES-BENZ’S MAYBACH EV CONCEPT HELPS THE RICH FEEL EVEN BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES
– Mercedes-Benz has shown off the electric Maybach EQS, an opulent concept car that the company says is a preview of what the future of high-end electric cars may look like. The company revealed the EV SUV at the IAA Mobility show, where it also announced a G-Class SUV concept, and a more attainable electric sedan.
– Mercedes says the interior is supposed to remind you of a yacht, and the SUV has something called a “Chauffeur package.”
– Mercedes calls the concept “a clear preview of the first fully electric series-production model” in the Maybach line, and the company already has an EV platform kicking around that it could put to use. It’s not a subtle car, so I’m sure it won’t be hard to miss when something like it eventually hits the road
VOLVO’S ELECTRIC XC40 RECHARGE ALREADY SOLD OUT IN AUSTRALIA, WITH “HUNDREDS” ON ORDER
– The first allocation in Australia of the all-electric Volvo XC40 Recharge is already exhausted, Volvo has confirmed with The Driven.
– “The entire initial allocation of hundreds is spoken for,” Volvo’s spokesperson told The Driven in a note. However, those wanting to place orders will still be able to sit behind the wheel by early 2022.
“New orders placed from today are planned for arrival during February 2022,” they added.
– The XC40 Recharge is offered in only one configuration, with a predicted 418km driving range from its 78kWh battery and a plethora of Volvo safety systems.
NYC DOT LOOKS TO BUILD ONE OF THE LARGEST EV CHARGING NETWORKS IN THE US
– The New York City Department of Transportation (NYC DOT) recently shared extensive plans to support the influx of EVs in the area by deploying four DC fast chargers as part of its city-operated fast-charging network. With nearly 50,000 chargers planned by 2030 as part of an ambitious plan, NYC’s government looks to build one of the largest municipal charging networks in the country.
– Governor Kathy Hochul (D-NY) has signed new legislation to support the state’s efforts outlined below. The legislation sets a new goal for all new passenger cars and trucks sold in New York State to be zero emissions by 2035.
– In a recent release from the NYPA alongside the NYC DOT and EVconnect, the group has successfully installed four of 28 planned DC fast charging plugs within city-owned municipal garages. The initial goal for this city-owned and operated charging network is 80 plugs by 2025.
– The recently shared plan outlines ambitious, city-wide climate goals for the next decade, citing that NYC will need 400,000 drivers to switch to EVs by 2030 and will work to provide the charging infrastructure to support them.
UNIONS MIGHT HAMPER THE MOVE TO ZERO EMISSIONS
– President Joe Biden wants to corner the market on electric vehicles. In August, he announced a target that by 2030, half of the vehicles sold in the United States will be battery electric, fuel-cell electric or plug-in hybrid. It would be a seismic shift for an auto industry dominated by gas-powered vehicles. But resistance to Biden’s ambitious goal is coming from a surprising stakeholder: the United Autoworkers Union, one of Biden’s oldest political allies.
– There are tens of thousands of auto workers in Indiana, Michigan and Ohio involved in producing internal combustion engines, Wayne State University professor and UAW labor expert Marick Masters told CNN. With many fewer parts to electric vehicles and less labor required, there are natural questions about what impact the transition could have on jobs.
– Union leaders told CNN they recognize an ally in Biden and have praised the president’s pro-union rhetoric. For now, they are relying on Biden’s and Congressional Democrats’ word that they’ll attempt to boost union-made cars with tax credits — something that is far from guaranteed.
RENAULT WANTS TO PROLONG THE FOSSIL FUEL ERA
– Renault opposes the EU Commission’s Fit for 55 climate package, which will effectively ban new cars with combustion engines, including hybrids, in the EU from 2035.
– At the IAA Mobility, Renault’s head of development Gilles Le Borgne argued an extension of the deadline for hybrid vehicles to 2040. The French carmakers argument is that given more time, the new vehicles would be more affordable.
– Switching our factories over to these new technologies isn’t simple and adapting our workforce to it will take time. You can’t switch just like that, and such a timeline would be hard for us – and harder still when you work the supply chain into the mix. But I want to be clear: I’m not pushing back for technological reasons. We are ready. We have said that Renault will sell 90% BEV vehicles by 2030 and Alpine 100%, but we think Dacia will be closer to 10%.”
CUPRA LAUNCHES NEW EV&ME APP
– CUPRA has introduced its new EV&me app to help consumers understand if an EV or e-HYBRID (plug-in hybrid) is right for them.Developed by CUPRA, in conjunction with Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Ltd and digital innovation company Futurice, the new EV&me by CUPRA app provides drivers with insight into how their current vehicle’s running costs compare to EV or e-HYBRID CUPRA models.
– The ‘Journey’ tab allows drivers to view their actual journey data. Drivers are presented with a complete analysis of their drive, including information on the duration of a journey, distance covered, average speed and estimated battery usage of their selected CUPRA model.The ‘Compare’ function enables drivers to view the estimated running cost of their journey compared to a CUPRA EV or e-HYBRID model1. This can be subsequently refined into weekly, monthly, and yearly tabs to provide a full evaluation of where drivers can save money in both the short term and the long term.
Original Source : https://electriccarsreport.com/2021/09/cupra-launches-new-evme-app
OCTOPUS ENERGY’S ELECTRIC JUICE NETWORK HITS 100,000 CHARGERS MILESTONE
– Drivers of electric vehicles will now be able to pay with their Octopus Energy account across the participating charging networks, with all costs appearing on a single bill. As further networks are added to the roaming service, users of the EJN will soon be able to access many more charging stations worldwide. Currently the EJN is active in over 25 different countries, including the UK, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands amongst others, and is even beginning to have coverage as far away as Malaysia and Morocco.
– Octopus Energy has hit a milestone of over 100,000 electric vehicle charging points on the Electric Juice Network (EJN) in just over a year since its launch.
– Customers of Electric Juice have access to a wide range of charge point operators, including global names such as NewMotion, IONITY, Has.to.be, Mer (Statkraft) and Greenflux, plus UK brands Osprey, Char.gy, Franklin, Hubsta, Alfa, and many more – who all joined the EJN in its first year.
FREMONT PD BRINGS ON TESLA MODEL Y AS PATROL VEHICLE TO SAVE TAXPAYERS
– Fremont PD has taken out the Tesla Model Y for testing as a patrol vehicle. The decision to buy another electric vehicle from the American manufacturer came after testing Model S, which saved thousands of dollars in charging and maintenance costs.
– Fremont PD purchased a Tesla Model Y
– The Fremont Police Department tested a Tesla Model S 85 adapted for duty as a patrol vehicle from March 2019 to March 2020. According to the results, Model S exceeded performance and operational goals. T
– At the moment, Fremont PD has not yet made an official announcement about the entry of the new cruiser into active service.
HOW ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING SITES CAN BENEFIT FARMERS
– A fully installed type II 7kW double header charging unit would typically cost around £1,500 after the government’s Workplace Charging Scheme grant has been applied. This grant is available for businesses to reduce the cost of having an EV charge point installed at their premises.
Under it, businesses can claim up to 75% of the total cost of installation, up to a maximum of £350/socket, with the following conditions:
- Maximum of 40 sockets across all offices for each applicant
- No existing EV is required
- A need must be shown for the sockets when applying for the grant, for example, to provide charging for visitors, or an incentive for the uptake of plug-in vehicles for staff
– There are opportunities to sell or lease land to the operators of this type of site, adding them to existing fuel stations or creating new stand-alone electric-only stations. Leases are the most common model.
– For standalone rapid charging stations (providing a charge in 20-30 minutes), the main requirements are to be close to a main road with high traffic flows and/or amenities and good proximity to the electricity grid. This will be either a major motorway or A-roads in urban and edge-of-town locations and 0.5 to 2.5 acres in size.
– Network operators are typically seeking a long lease of 25 years and will install and fully operate the rapid chargers as part of the agreement. It will pay the landowners an annual rent or a share of the profit – whichever is the greatest – and this is usually a term of the agreement. The operators would apply for planning permission and be responsible for paying the planning costs.
– As with all property values it’s about location, location, location. Rents are typically about £12,000/year initially, rising to more than £50,000/year, subject to turnover, for a site of between 0.5 and 0.75 acre.
– The right solutions may depend on the footfall of the site, the number of charging points you wish to install, the upfront installation costs and whether the parking facility is open to the public or not. If not, the investment will be reliant on a customer-funded model, blended with government grants available.
APPLE WATCH EXEC TAKES OVER SECRETIVE CAR PROJECT
– Just two days after Ford hired away Doug Field, the head of Apple’s secretive car project, the tech giant has tapped Apple Watch exec and former Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch to take his place, according to Bloomberg.
– It’s the latest changing of the guard for the project, known as Project Titan, which has rotated leaders about as much as it has reportedly shifted focus. To wit, Korea’s Maeil Economic Daily reported earlier Thursday that Apple may no longer be trying to work with other automakers to bring its autonomous electric car to life. Rather, the report states, Apple now plans to go it alone.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
IAA mobility show is this week. The most headline grabbing cars from the big names will get the headlines, but do YOU think needs electrifying to fill a gap in the market?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL