If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 8th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
NEW RENAULT 5 ELECTRIC CAR CONFIRMED FOR PRODUCTION IN 2024
– The revived Renault 5 electric hatchback has made an appearance at this year’s Munich Motor Show in prototype form, alongside its original siblings from the 70s and 80s, with the French brand confirming it will give rise to a production car in 2024.
– The revived retro icon will enter production in 2024 as the first vehicle based on the Renault-Nissan Alliance’s new CMF-BEV platform, which has been specifically designed for smaller electric vehicles. Renault says the new platform could be the key to unlocking affordable small electric cars, with bosses claiming that the 5 will cost around 33 per cent less than the current Zoe.
– When quizzed whether it would feature the same 130kW rapid charge capability as the recently unveiled Megane E-Tech Electric, he said: “I would say it will be the same, close to that.”
– When it arrives in three years time, the new Renault 5 will become a more affordable rival for the Honda e and MINI Electric
Original Source : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/renault/89973/new-renault-5-electric-car-confirmed-production-2024
GREAT WALL MOTORS PRESENTS NEW ORA & WEY BEVS
– At the IAA Mobility, Great Wall Motors (GWM) is giving a preview of the first two models of its Ora and Wey brands, with which the Chinese car company soon wants to gain a foothold in Europe.
– Ora Cat is a BEV compact car
– Ora Cat has an electric motor on the front axle that produces 126 kW of power and 250 Nm of torque. Great Wall claims acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 8.5 seconds and a top speed of 160 km/h. The energy storage system on board is supposed to provide an energy boost and is said to have an energy content of 63 kWh to allow a range of 400 kilometres according to WLTP.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/09/07/great-wall-motors-presents-new-ora-wey-bevs
DAIMLER IS DONE WITH PLUG-IN HYBRIDS
– Daimler’s focus on battery-electric vehicles also has an impact on plug-in hybrids. The Stuttgart-based carmaker is no longer planning any new developments here. Suppliers such as ZF, however, assess the future of PHEVs differently.
– Markus Schäfer, Daimler board member responsible for research and development and Mercedes-Benz AG board member responsible for day-to-day operations, now indicated at the IAA Mobility in Munich that there will be no further development of a technology once deemed transitional.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/09/07/daimler-is-done-with-plug-in-hybrids/
MICROLINO SHOWS OFF PRODUCTION VERSION OF TINY ELECTRIC CAR AND CUTE SCOOTER
– Micro took to the IAA Mobility trade show in Munich, Germany, to publicly reveal the series-production version of the company’s Microlino 2.0 electric mini-car.
– Considered a quadricycle in Europe, the Microlino 2.0 takes on a similar design to the BMW Isetta.
– a single large front door that allows occupants to enter directly from the front of the car.
– Over 24,000 people have placed reservations for the little electric car
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2021/09/07/microlino-shows-off-production-version-of-tiny-electric-car-plus-its-adorable-3-wheeled-scooter
AMID BOLT BATTERY FIRE PROBE, NHTSA ASKS LG IF OTHER CARS ARE AFFECTED
– Responding to battery defects that cause a risk of fire in Chevrolet Bolt electric cars, a federal auto safety agency is communicating with the battery’s maker, LG Energy Solution, to see whether other carmakers’ EVs are affected.
– In a statement, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration told The Detroit News it “currently does not have any open investigations into fires alleged with LG batteries outside of GM” but added that it’s “in touch with LG to identify other vehicles that may be impacted.”
– The federal agency’s probe focuses on the GM vehicles with battery cells supplied by LG Energy Solution, whose affiliate LG Electronics assembles the cells into modules and packs.
Original Source : https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2021/09/07/amid-bolt-battery-fire-probe-nhtsa-asks-lg-if-other-cars-affected/5686165001/
SK INNOVATION TO SUPPLY BATTERIES TO CHINESE EV COMPANY FOR FIRST TIME
– SK Innovation will reportedly supply batteries to an electric vehicle (EV) maker in China.
– SK Innovation is expected to have a production capacity of 50GWh in China within three to four years. It is investing trillions of won in production facilities in China, and is engaged in the replaceable battery business, which has strong growth potential.
Original Source : http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html
LG ENERGY SOLUTION IS DEVELOPING LFP BATTERY CELLS
– Korean battery cell makers have been producing almost exclusively NCM battery cells, but according to Korean media, LG Energy Solution will launch LFP (LiFePO4) battery cells already next year.
– LG will produce LFP pouch battery cells to be inserted in modules, just like Guoxuan – that expects to reach 260 Wh/kg next year by combining LFP cathode with silicon anode.
– LFP is a cobalt-free chemistry that allows to produce electric cars that are as cheap as their ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) counterparts. BYD already reached 55 euros per kWh at the battery pack level with the module-less approach.
– The upcoming end of patent restrictions on LFP and the recent problems with fires in NCM battery cells seem to have pushed LG Energy Solution to consider the super-safe and inexpensive LFP chemistry.
– Patent restrictions over LFP cathode chemistry will start to expire in 2022.
Original Source : https://pushevs.com/2021/09/07/lg-energy-solution-is-developing-lfp-battery-cells
TESLA PLANS TO INVEST $8 BILLION INTO EV BATTERY PLANT NEXT TO GIGA BERLIN
– Tesla will invest up to 5 billion euros ($A8 billion) in a lithium-ion battery plant at “Giga Berlin”, with a decision on whether the German government will tip in 1 billion towards it expected by the end of 2021.
– German media stories say that a new publication by the Federal Ministry of Economics (BMWi) provides new information on the costs of the battery factory that Tesla is planning on the site of its Gigafactory in Grünheide near Berlin.
– It is the single largest investment in battery manufacture currently being planned in Germany, where 21 billion euros in battery factory investment – almost half of all Europe’s 46 million euros total – is planned.
– Tesla will receive 1.135 billion euros in state funding for the development of its German battery production
Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2021/09/07/tesla-plans-to-invest-8-billion-into-ev-battery-plant-next-to-giga-berlin/
FERRARI AND LAMBORGHINI COULD BE EXEMPT FROM BAN ON COMBUSTION ENGINES
– Italy is in talks with the European Union on ways to shield supercar makers, including Ferrari and Lamborghini, from the planned phase-out of combustion engine vehicles by 2035.
– The European Commission in July announced plans to phase out sales of new combustion-engine cars by 2035 as part of the region’s effort to reduce emissions that contribute to global warming.
That timeline is particularly challenging for luxury-car makers that produce vehicles with powerful engines that emit above-average levels of pollution.
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/environmentemissions/ferrari-and-lamborghini-should-be-exempt-europes-ban-combustion-engine-cars
BMW ORDERS UP $24 BILLION OF BATTERIES AS EV DEMAND GROWS
– BMW AG has boosted orders for battery cells to keep pace with accelerating demand for electric cars that made up more than 11% of deliveries during the half of the year.
– The German carmaker now has contracts for more than 20 billion euros ($23.8 billion) of batteries, up from 12 billion euros previously, Chief Executive Officer Oliver Zipse said in an interview. The cells are destined for i4 sedans, iX sport utility vehicles and other models BMW is producing through 2024. The company plans to start switching to a new generation of batteries the following year.
Original Source : https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/bmw-orders-24-billion-worth-054317027.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
IAA mobility show is this week. The most headline grabbing cars from the big names will get the headlines, but do YOU think needs electrifying to fill a gap in the market?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL