If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 6th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
CHINA SET TO SELL 1.7 MILLION NEVS BETWEEN JAN-AUG
– China, the world’s biggest vehicle market, is expected to sell 1.7 million new energy vehicles (NEV) in the first eight months of this year, up from 600,000 units in the same period last year, vice industry minister said on Saturday.
– Overall auto sales are expected to hit over 16 million vehicles between January and August, up around 10% from 2020. But he warned that the coronavirus-induced global auto chip supply shortage still remains a pressure point on China’s auto production.
– authorities will continue to curb blind construction of NEV projects and will improve supply of key metals including cobalt, lithium and nickel
Original Source : https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-set-sell-1-7-041228579.html
30 PERCENT OF CHEVY BOLT EV OWNERS NOT FOLLOWING FIRE SAFETY
– Along with this recall, General Motors has also instructed owners on best practices to avoid a potential fire. However, according to one recent report, roughly a third of Chevy Bolt EV owners are choosing not to follow GM’s fire safety instructions.
– Kelley Blue Book, which cites a report from battery monitoring service Recurrent, 30 percent of Chevy Bolt EV owners are failing to heed GM’s guidelines per the latest battery pack recall.
– General Motors has advised Chevy Bolt EV and Bolt EUV owners to refrain from charging their vehicle above 90 percent, while also avoiding depleting the batteries below 70 miles of range. What’s more, customers are advised against charging their vehicle indoors overnight, and to park their vehicle outside immediately following charging.
– 30 percent of Chevy Bolt EV owners continue to charge their vehicle over 90 percent or deplete the batteries below 70 miles of range. The Recurrent report is based on battery monitoring of 1,000 Chevy Bolt EV vehicles subscribed to the Recurrent service.
Original Source : https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/09/30-percent-of-chevy-bolt-ev-owners-not-following-gms-fire-safety-instructions/
VOLKSWAGEN ID.3 GTX ELECTRIC HOT HATCHBACK CONFIRMED FOR PRODUCTION
– Volkswagen’s Chief Executive Officer, Ralf Brandstatter, has confirmed that the brand’s ID.X electric hot hatchback concept will go into production as the ID.3 GTX.The German firm’s GTX branding signifies its all-electric performance vehicles, and the ID.3 GTX is set to be the third model in the line-up. We could see the car as soon as 2022.
– Speaking to Auto Express at the Munich Motor Show, Brandstatter said, “The decision is made. We have the ID.4 GTX and the ID.3 GTX will come.”
– the new GTX hot hatch won’t be quite as powerful as the ID.X concept, which used a 329bhp dual-electric motor set-up fed by a 77kWh (usable) battery. It’s therefore more likely that the ID.3 GTX will use the same twin-motor powertrain as the ID.4 GTX, producing 295bhp. In the smaller, lighter ID.3, the GTX will likely undercut the ID.4 GTX’s 6.2-second 0-62mph time.
Original Source : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/id3/355043/volkswagen-id3-gtx-electric-hot-hatchback-confirmed-production
ACQUIRED BY MERCEDES-BENZ, YASA’S REVOLUTIONARY ELECTRIC MOTOR IS SET FOR BIG THINGS
– Back in July, YASA (formerly Yokeless And Segmented Armature), a British electric motor startup with a revolutionary “axial-flux” motor, was acquired by Mercedes-Benz. The acquisition didn’t exactly garner enormous press attention, as scant other details were announced. But YASA is likely to be an entity worth watching.
– after being spun out of Oxford University, YASA will now develop ultra-high-performance electric motors for Mercedes-Benz’s AMG.EA electric-only platform. It will stay in the U.K. as a fully owned subsidiary, serving both Mercedes-Benz and existing customers like Ferrari. The company will retain its own brand, team, facilities and location in Oxford.
– YASA’s axial-flux electric motors generated EV industry interest because of their efficiency, high power density, small size and low weight.
– one-third the weight of other electric motors, more efficient and with 3x higher power densities than Tesla.
– Mike Butcher@mikebutcher
Original Source : https://techcrunch.com/2021/09/03/acquired-by-mercedes-benz-yasas-revolutionary-electric-motor-is-set-for-big-things/
MERCEDES, BMW STEER EVS TO EUROPE’S FIRST CAR SHOW SINCE COVID
– It’s the first major auto-industry forum in Europe since the pandemic, so organizers are trying to spread out participants by holding some events outdoors and in Munich’s city center.
– Visitors will be able to test-drive dozens of battery-powered cars, e-bikes and scooters on a seven-mile track that stretches from the conference venue into downtown Munich.
– Volkswagen is bringing the ID.5 GTX crossover and the electric version of its hippie-era microbus called the ID.Buzz
– BMW is presenting the iX, its latest electric SUV, while Daimler’s Mercedes-Benz will show off the EQE sedan, which is a bit smaller and less-luxurious than its flagship EQS limousine.
Original Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2021-09-03/mercedes-bmw-steer-evs-to-europe-s-first-car-show-since-covid
MERCEDES-AMG EQS53 DEBUTS IN MUNICH – TAKES AIM AT THE TESLA MODEL S PLAID
– Mercedes-AMG has been busy at this year’s Munich motor show, debuting both its first plug-in hybrid and its first all-electric model in the form of this, the EQS53. It will top the EQS range, and as the name suggests is the S-class-sized all-electric model that’s based on Merc’s new bespoke EV platform.
– Like the EQS580, the 53 comes with an electric motor on both axles, but produces a combined 750bhp
– those figures are only accessible for short overboost periods on EQS53 models fitted with the optional AMG Dynamic Plus pack.
– AMG Dynamic Plus models are able to reach 62mph in 3.4sec (3.8sec for models without), and go on to a limited 155mph top speed. To hit these numbers the AMG’s electric motors do not need to be preconditioned Tesla style, but AMG does insist on a minimum of 80 per cent battery charge, which is new for EVs
– the motors are fed from a 120kWh battery pack, of which 107.8kWh is useable, mounted in a flat casing underneath the main cabin. The 400V electrical system does trail Porsche’s 800V one in the Taycan, but the maximum 200kW charging capability is still strong enough to add up to 186 miles of charge in 15 minutes.
– The exterior design is largely unchanged, save for some new 21- and 22-inch wheel designs, a slightly larger rear lip spoiler and new aero elements at the base of both front and rear bumpers.
Original Source : https://www.evo.co.uk/mercedes/204059/mercedes-amg-eqs53-debuts-in-munich-takes-aim-at-the-tesla-model-s-plaid
751-HP 2023 MERCEDES-AMG EQS HAS TESLA MODEL S IN ITS SIGHTS
– Mercedes isn’t yet talking range for the U.S. market, and in fact we are still waiting on EPA range numbers for the non-AMG EQS, but we expect the AMG version to go a bit less far on a charge due to its higher power output and presumably lower efficiency .AMG has upgraded the cooling system and the driving modes, which put special emphasis on performance—understandably, since governments continue to stipulate that emissions equal “zero,” no matter how much energy is used in an EV.
– Torque distribution is more rear-biased than on the regular EQS, and the chassis is significantly tweaked, including stabilizers, bearings, and rear axle components.
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37478089/mercedes-amg-eqs-53-amg-revealed
2023 MERCEDES-BENZ EQE SEDAN IS THE E-CLASS OF THE ELECTRIC AGE THAT’S COMING FOR TESLA
– The Mercedes EQE Sedan has been unveiled ahead of the Munich Motor Show. Looking like a EQS Sedan-lite, it’s a mid-sized four-door that will go toe-to-toe with a number electric cars, including the similarly-sized Tesla Model S and the upcoming Audi A6 e-tron.
– Taking a more coupe-like design than the conventional ICE E-Class, the EQE Sedan shares many visual similarities with the larger EQS Sedan. The rear features a full-width LED rear light. Up front, in place of a grille is a large black slab with the Mercedes logo and diamond star pattern, behind which multiple sensors and cameras hide.
– at 4,934 mm (196.6 inches) the EQE Sedan is notably shorter than the EQS Sedan’s 5,265-mm (207.0-inch) overall length
– The interior is dominated by the (optional) MBUX Hyperscreen that debuted on the EQS Sedan. The glass expanse combines three separate screens into one seamless unit, spanning the entire width of the dashboard.
– the EQE Sedan features a 90.6 kWh battery, rear-wheel drive, and an electric motor outputting 288 hp
– The EQE Sedan’s range is quoted at 410 miles (660 km) on the WLTP cycle, with charge times of 10–80 percent in 31 minutes on a fast DC charger.
Original Source : https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/mercedes-eqe-sedan-unveiled-to-take-on-the-tesla-model-s/
OLA SCOOTER TO HIT US STREETS BY EARLY 2022 BEFORE TESLA ARRIVES IN INDIA
– Ola CEO Bhavish Aggarwal has announced his plans to ship Ola Electric scooter to the US by early 2022In a reply to US-based entrepreneur Vivek Wadhwa on Twitter, Aggarwal said: “Yes soon! We will be shipping to the US by early next year”Ola has announced two products for the Indian market – S1 Pro at INR 1,29,999 and Ola S1 at INR 99,999
– The S1 Pro has a range of around 181 km on a full charge while the S1 can run around 120 km.
Original Source : https://inc42.com/buzz/ola-scooter-to-hit-us-streets-by-early-2022-before-tesla-arrives-in-india/
CATL BRINGS EV BATTERY TECHNOLOGIES AND MANUFACTURING TO EUROPE
– The association of European automotive and industrial battery manufacturers, EUROBAT, announced on September 2 that Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (CATL) has joined its membership ranks.
– Headquartered in Ningde, China. CATL had 33,078 employees around the world with more than 5,000 staff engaged in R&D as of the end of 2020. The company is currently in the process of developing its first European production base in Arnstadt, Germany.
– EUROBAT Executive-Director Rene Schroeder welcomed CATL as a new member to the leading association for European automotive and industrial battery manufacturers, covering all battery technologies, which has more than 50 members.
Original Source : https://www.neweurope.eu/article/catl-brings-ev-battery-technologies-and-manufacturing-to-europe/
THE DECENTRALIZED, BI-DIRECTIONAL POWER OF SMART GRIDS
– From Texas’s winter blackouts to NYC’s late-July heat wave-driven “conserve energy” alert, it’s clear that American power grids need help. Cue the tech experts, who say the solution is making the grid “smart.”
– Under this decentralized, bidirectional model, utilities can pay their customers for surplus energy at peak-demand hours to bolster the broader grid, and, ideally, use AI and sensors to more closely match energy supply with demand.
– Right now, most smart grid projects involve customers selling back energy generated from solar panels, but eventually, the idea is to bring electric vehicles into the fold too.
Original Source : https://www.morningbrew.com/emerging-tech/stories/2021/09/03/decentralized-bidirectional-power-smart-grids
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
IAA mobility show is this week. The most headline grabbing cars from the big names will get the headlines, but do YOU think needs electrifying to fill a gap in the market?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – hello@EVNEWSDAILY.COM
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUT