If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 5th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA DELAYS ITS CYBERTRUCK PRODUCTION TO LATE 2022
– Elon Musk recently confirmed that the production of its upcoming electric pickup truck Cybertruck is deferred to late 2022. A couple of years ago in 2019, Cybertruck was first announced by Tesla, initially scheduled to hit the roads by the end of 2021, making it the first electric pickup truck to foray into the markets.
– Over the last year, numerous incidents cropped up to suggest that the Cybertruck timeline is on shaky grounds. It is only recently that Tesla concluded the engineering design of the electric pickup truck.
– In April, Musk informed that both the Cybertruck and the Semi will be powered by new, larger battery cells that the company is making on a pilot line in California. However, he alerted that the mass manufacturing of those cells will roughly take 12 to 18 months more
– Musk also confirmed that due to the new and innovative technology required in the electric pickup truck, the company does not expect a production ramp-up and anticipates volume recognition from the same as late as the end of 2023.
RIVIAN R1T AND R1S EPA RANGE NUMBERS RELEASED: OVER 300 MILES
– The long-awaited EPA range and efficiency ratings for the upcoming Rivian R1T all-electric pickup and Rivian R1S SUV are in.
In both cases, the EPA Combined range rating for the Launch Edition versions, with “Large Pack” and 21″ wheels are about 5% better than the initial brief estimation of 300 miles (483 km).
The Rivian R1T will be able to go 314 miles (505 km), while the Rivian R1S goes 316 miles (508 km). Other versions might get different results (more on that below).
Let’s recall that the company has not revealed the battery capacity, but we can assume that it’s somewhere around 150 kWh.
– Rivian released info on how the wheel size will affect the range:
20″ All-Terrain – 10-15% reduction so 267-283 miles (430-455 km)
21″ Road – 314 miles (505 km)
22″ Sport – 5-10% reduction so 283-298 miles (455-479 km)
– In January 2022, the company intends to launch a 400+ mile (644+ km) range version, and at some point introduce also a 250+ mile (402+ km) range version.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/530883/rivian-r1t-r1s-epa-range/
APPLE IS TALKS WITH TOYOTA TO BUILD ITS ELECTRIC CAR
– A new report from Digitimes has put the spotlight back on Apple Inc.’s secretive Apple Car project dubbed “Project Titan” and it looks as though the iPhone maker is moving forward with its plans.Apple recently met with Japanese and Asian suppliers, including South Korean companies LG Electronics and battery maker SK Group. Now according to a report from Digitimes, Apple is said to be meeting with executives at Toyota to mass produce its Apple Car.
– In July, LG Electronics finalized its new joint venture agreement with automotive supplier Magna International Inc. that will develop e-powertrains and other components for electric vehicles. The new joint venture company will be called “LG Magna e-Powertrain” and will be based in Incheon, South Korea. LG Magna e-Powertrain is linked to Apple’s Project Titan. The new joint venture company was linked in April to computer giant Apple Inc’s secretive electric car project, which Apple CEO Time Cook called the “Mother of all AI projects.”
APPLE TAPS MERCEDES ENGINEERS FOR ‘SPECIAL PROJECT’
– Apple has reportedly hired a couple of Mercedes engineers to work on Apple Car.
Dr. Anton Uselmann is now working at Apple in its ‘Special Projects Group’.
A report says a second Mercedes engineer is also on Apple’s radar.
– The former, Dr. Anton Uselmann has previously worked for three years with Mercedes, as well as Porsche. His PhD involved conducting research on road feedback and steering feel. Dr. Uselmann worked on steering at both German carmakers.
SINGAPORE SEES MG 5 ELECTRIC CABS ARRIVE FOR STRIDES TAXIS – ELECTRIVE.COM
– People in Singapore may now book an electric cab as local taxi company Strides Taxis takes delivery of 15 electric cars. The China-made MG 5 vehicles are the first of a total of 300 models to arrive in the city-state by the end of the year.
– Early adopters of the MG5 cabs will get a free rental and unlimited charging for the first 30 days. The company claims there are 140 public fast chargers at 80 locations islandwide and that drivers can expect to save about $300 a month in energy costs compared with driving hybrid cabs.
BYD INTRODUCES NEXT GENERATION ELECTRIC TRUCKS AT ACT EXPO
– BYD introduced two battery-electric heavy-duty trucks, the Gen3 8TT and 6F, vehicles that combine performance, reliability, and driver comfort into stylish designs.
– Unveiled at the ACT Expo in Long Beach, Calif., the Gen 3 8TT and 6F feature cabs styled by Wolfgang Josef Egger, the renowned former Audi chief designer.
– The trucks are equipped with an Electronic Parking Brake system, offer keyless entry and push to start functions, and have up to 185kW CCS1 charging capability. The extended range version of the 8TT and 6F offer a range of up to 200 miles on a charge.
WALLBOX UNVEILS ULTRAFAST PUBLIC CHARGER
– Wallbox, a leading provider of electric vehicle (EV) charging solutions worldwide, will unveil Hypernova, the company’s fastest and most sophisticated public charging station yet, at the IAA MOBILITY 2021 show in Munich next week.
– Hypernova can deliver up to 350 kiloWatts (kW) that allows it to fully charge an electric car in the time it takes to make a rest stop and is substantially faster than the majority of other ultrafast chargers on the market. It also employs advanced software that allows it to optimize available power and adapt to the number of EVs connected, making it ideal for public charging along highways and transcontinental road networks.
ELON MUSK: ‘THIS IS CRAZIEST MONTH OF DELIVERIES TESLA (TSLA) WILL EVER HAVE’
– Elon Musk told Tesla (TSLA) employees that “this is the craziest month of deliveries Tesla will ever have.”
The CEO stated that Tesla is again trying to stop its draining end-of-quarter delivery pushes, but he expects a big one this quarter.
– Last night, Musk held a company-wide call with Tesla employees where he told them to expect a “crazy” end of the quarter, according to sources on the call who spoke with Electrek.
The CEO said: “This month will be the craziest month for deliveries Tesla will ever have.”
TESLA GIGA BERLIN APPLIES FOR A PRELIMINARY PERMIT FOR THE CONSTRUCTION
– Tesla’s Giga Berlin car factory is being built with a preliminary permit, which has saved the manufacturer time without waiting for a final environmental permit. Tesla has now applied for a preliminary permit to build a battery factory.
– At the request of the German publication Tagesspiegel, the Brandenburg Ministry of the Environment has confirmed that Tesla has applied for an appropriate preliminary permit for the battery factory. The application relates to structural changes and also includes structural measures for the construction of a battery factory.
TESLA’S OPEN SUPERCHARGER NETWORK FOR OTHER EVS COULD START NEXT MONTH IN EUROPE
– Based on a reported all-hands meeting Elon Musk recently held with Tesla employees, the company seems to be pushing through with its open EV Supercharger Network plans. The EV maker is reportedly aiming to open its Supercharger Network to non-Tesla vehicles next month, starting with Europe.
Europe would be an excellent place for Tesla’s open Supercharger Network to begin. An analysis published in May 2021 studied the pace EV charging points increased in correlation to EV sales in 29 European countries. The analysis’ results provides some insight into how Tesla’s open EV Supercharger Network could do in the future.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-open-supercharger-network-europe/
VOLKSWAGEN SNEAKS AHEAD OF TESLA IN HOT SWISS EV MARKET
– Switzerland is a top electric vehicle market in the world. So far this year, 7.5% of all auto sales in the country are full-electric vehicles (BEV). Another 19.3% are plugin hybrid sales, which brings the total plugin share to 26.8%.
– In the month of July, the Model 3 was absent (due to Tesla’s logistics and delivery schedule), leaving room for the Skoda Enyaq to become #1 for the month (6.9% of the BEV market in Switzerland). The Enyaq was followed not that far behind by the Volkswagen ID.3 (6.8%) and Fiat 500e (6.7%) — which were only one unit apart. The Mercedes EQA (5.9%), Hyundai Kona EV (5.8%), Renault ZOE (5.5%), and Volvo XC40 (5.2%) rounded out the top 7.
– Volkswagen slipped above Tesla during one of Tesla’s weak first-month-of-the-quarter months.
UK REGULATOR OUTLINES PLAN TO CUT COSTS FOR EV-CHARGING SITES
– U.K. energy-market regulator Ofgem unveiled measures designed to reduce the costs of building charging facilities for electric vehicles, as it seeks to encourage a switch to cleaner driving.
– Ofgem plans to remove charges for connecting large EV charging stations to the existing local grid if additional capacity is needed. Under the proposal, the costs would be recovered through the charges paid by all users of the distribution system. This would make it cheaper to install new charging stations in locations where they are needed, Ofgem said in a statement.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
As cars like the IONIQ 5 and trucks like the Ford F-150 Lighting arrive being able to draw power from the traction battery, what will you power from your EV in the future?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL