If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 4th September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
FREE CHARGING ALL LABOR DAY WEEKEND
– Summer is ending, but there’s still plenty of time for a road trip. That’s the message Electrify America is sending with its four days of unlimited charging across its entire network for the Labor Day holiday.
– This Labor Day deal starts on Friday, September 3 and extends through Monday, September 6, and is offered to all customers.
– Taking advantage of the deal should be as easy as plugging in and following the instructions on your smartphone.
GLOBAL PLUG-IN CAR SALES JULY 2021: ALMOST DOUBLED TO 480,000
– Global passenger plug-in electric car sales increased in July by 94% year-over-year to about 480,000, which is one of the best monthly results ever.
The market share amounted to 7.1%, and two-third of the plug-ins happen to be all-electric.
– So far this year, passenger plug-in electric car sales stand at over 3.0 million, while the market share increased to 6.5%. It’s expected that in 2021 plug-in car sales will exceed 6 million.
– The top-selling models for the month were: Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV (30,706), Tesla Model 3 (18,811) and Tesla Model Y (14,660), Volkswagen ID.4 (14,660)
– In July, the highest number of new plug-in electric car registrations was noted by BYD (46,938), which was far ahead of Tesla (35,020) and SAIC-GM-Wuling (31,219). Volkswagen was also quite strong with 27,969 units.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/530428/global-plugin-car-sales-july2021/
NORWAY MARKS 11,811 NEW EV REGISTRATIONS IN AUGUST
– In Norway, 11,811 new electric cars were registered in August. The share of electric cars in new passenger car registrations was 71.9 per cent last month. Norway’s most successful model across all drive types in August was the Tesla Model Y with 1,308 new registrations.
– The 11,811 electric cars were joined by 2,599 plug-in hybrids in August, with a market share of 15.8 per cent. Overall, 87.7 per cent of all new passenger cars in Norway had an external charging connection in August
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/09/02/norway-marks-11811-new-ev-registrations-in-august/
RECORD HIGH 19.8% FRENCH PLUGIN EV SHARE IN AUGUST – TESLA MODEL 3 BESTSELLER
– France, Europe’s second largest auto market, saw plugin electric vehicle market share hit a record 19.8% in August 2021, close to double the 10.5% share in August 2020. Old school combustion powertrains fell to a record low 55.9% share, with diesel under 20% for the first time in decades. The overall auto market was down by around 37% from seasonal norms, at 88067 units.
– August’s combined plugin result of 19.8% was led by full battery electrics (BEVs) at a record high of 11.3%, with plugin hybrids (PHEVs) at 8.5%
– Old-school non-electrified powertrains had their worst month in the modern era, with diesel falling below 20% for the first time
– August’s ranking was mostly in line with recent months, with the Renault ZOE, Peugeot e-208 following the Tesla, as usual. One new appearance was by the MG ZS EV which had its strongest month so far, replacing the Fiat 500e from it’s typical #4 spot, and displacing the Peugeot e-2008 from the top 10 list.
130,000 RESERVATIONS FOR FORD F-150 LIGHTNING
Mike Levine on Twitter: “Ford’s fully electric F-150 Lightning reservations have now crossed the 130,000 mark”
– “Next spring remains the plan.”
– “I got in about a month after reservations opened up. This is great for Ford, but is it accurate to say that only 15k trucks will be built in ’22 & only 55k in ’23? Add in the 80k for ’24 and it’s going to be 2-3 years for bulk of reservations to be filled.”
Original Source : https://twitter.com/mrlevine/status/1433425758307770380
VOLKSWAGEN OFFERING SUBSCRIPTIONS TO ID.3 AND ID.4 IN GERMANY
– Volkswagen is now offering car subscriptions for the ID.3 and ID.4 EVs in Germany with the launch of the Volkswagen AutoAbo subscription model. Customers can take out a monthly subscription, starting at €499 for the ID.3.
– Volkswagen will be launching its online leasing and sales offerings in Germany toward the end of 2021. Initially, to sell models from the ID. family, but the platform will later be made available to dealers to offer combustion engine and hybrid vehicles as well.
– Volkswagen will be making more than 2,000 nearly-new used cars available via AutoAbo, creating one of the largest such subscription models in Germany.
– The AutoAbo model is available with three-month and six-month minimum subscription periods. Thereafter, customers can terminate their subscription whenever they wish
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/09/20210902-autoabo.html
OPEL GETS $518 MILLION IN GERMAN GOVERNMENT FUNDS FOR GIGAFACTORY
– Opel will receive a 437 million euro ($518 million) government grant for its battery cell factory in Kaiserslautern, Germany’s economy ministry said on Thursday, as part of a wider European initiative to create a homegrown battery industry.
– European Union, and Germany in particular, are eager to create European battery giants as the transition to cleaner transport gathers pace.
– The 24 gigawatt/hour (GWh) capacity factory, plans for which were first announced in January 2020, is expected to produce battery cells for about half a million EVs per year, with production scheduled to start in 2025.
- Original Source : https://forbesalert.com/news/auto/opel-gets-518-million-in-german-government-funds-for-gigafactory/
WORLD-FIRST ELECTRIC VEHICLE BATTERY TECHNOLOGY CAN BE FULLY CHARGED IN 10-MINUTES
– StoreDot, which specializes in extreme fast charging battery technology for electric vehicles, has revealed its ‘ground-breaking’ silicon-dominant technology applied in extreme fast charging (XFC) cylindrical cells. In a world-first, the company demonstrated the prototype 4680 form factor that is fully charged in just 10 minutes.
– Pioneering work for these breakthrough technologies was kicked off at Warwick University in the UK with collaboration with StoreDot’s strategic partner – BP.
– This breakthrough means that global automotive manufacturers will be able to use StoreDot’s XFC batteries, which deliver a 50% reduction in charging time at the same cost, in both pouch and cylindrical cell forms. Both formats are undergoing scale up process at EVE Energy and will be ready for mass production in 2024.
TESLA LEASES ENTIRE OFFICE BUILDING IN NORTH SAN JOSE TECH HUB
– Tesla has leased a big office building in north San Jose, a deal that widens the list of tech luminaries that have brightened the economy of that part of the Bay Area’s largest city. The electric vehicle maker has leased an office and research building that totals about 75,000 square feet, according to Santa Clara County public records.
– The property’s tenant, has launched construction activity on the site that the maker of electric vehicles is leasing. The north San Jose building is shown to be the site of a Tesla Energy Training Center, according to Google Maps.
– The 2711 North First Street building is literally across the parking lot from Rivian HQ.
TESLA GIGA BERLIN TO TAKE A YEAR TO REACH VOLUME PRODUCTION
– The Tesla Gigafactory Berlin is nearly finishing, but the factory would not be able to produce cars immediately, as it would take a year before volume production can be achieved.
– CEO has revealed that the Berlin factory would indeed debut new colors, and the venture “would be great,” as it starts rolling out. This only means that people can choose more colors for the finish of their electric vehicles, having a more personalized experience and feel.
CHINA’S XIAOMI COMPLETES BUSINESS REGISTRATION OF ELECTRIC VEHICLE UNIT
– Chinese smartphone giant Xiaomi Corp said on Wednesday it has completed the official business registration of its electric vehicle unit, marking the latest milestone in its push into the automotive sector.
– The new unit, to be called Xiaomi EV Inc, opened with registered capital of 10 billion yuan ($1.55 billion)
– 300 staff have so far been employed to join the EV unit and it continues to recruit talent, it said.The smartphone maker, which became the world’s second top-selling brand behind Samsung in the second quarter, confirmed its foray into electric cars in March, pledging to invest $10 billion over the next 10 years.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
As cars like the IONIQ 5 and trucks like the Ford F-150 Lighting arrive being able to draw power from the traction battery, what will you power from your EV in the future?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL