If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 3rd September. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
NISSAN KICKING OFF PRE-ORDERS OF THE ALL-ELECTRIC ARIYA IN NORWAY
– Norway is the first country in Europe to open pre-orders to the public. Customers can choose from four versions of the Ariya Deliveries of Nissan’s all-electric coupé crossover to begin Summer 2022
– The Ariya 63kWh two-wheel drive model provides value for those primarily using their vehicle for short trips in urban or suburban areas. For families looking to take longer journeys, the Ariya 87kWh offers two-wheel drive with an extended range. The Ariya e-4ORCE 87kWh all-wheel drive combines the benefits of longer range and a comfortable ride for all onboard thanks to the balanced power delivered to all four wheels. The Ariya e-4ORCE 87kWh Performance is ideal for drivers seeking the thrill that comes with a higher power output and optimal torque. All four versions of Ariya will be available at launch in summer 2022.
Original Source : https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/releases/nissan-celebrates-world-ev-day-by-kicking-off-pre-orders-of-the-all-electric-ariya-in-norway
NEW RENAULT MEGANE ELECTRIC SPIED TESTING ALONGSIDE VW ID.4
– Renault is just a few days away from fully revealing the all-electric, all-new Megane, which is expected to be called the Megane E-Tech Electric, although some still refer to it as the MeganE.
– The Megane E-Tech Electric rides on the same CMF-EV platform as the Nissan Ariya, although it’s not quite as powerful. It is expected to feature a front-mounted 217 horsepower (160 kW) electric motor exclusively driving the front wheels, although since the platform allows for a dual-motor setup, it would not be out of the question to eventually see a sportier and more powerful all-wheel drive version too.
– 60 kWh capacity and it is expected to grant it a range of around 450 km (280 miles)
– the Nissan Ariya can draw current at up to 130 kW, requiring around 31 minutes to get from 10 to 80 percent – the Renault could have the exact same charging characteristics given the platform sharing situation.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/530264/renault-megane-etech-electric-spyshots/
TESLA’S CHINA OUTPUT HALTED FOR DAYS IN AUGUST ON CHIP SHORTAGE
– Tesla Inc TSLA.O temporarily halted some operations at its Shanghai factory last month as the global shortage of semiconductors hit the electric car maker, Bloomberg News reported on Thursday, citing people familiar with the matter.
– Part of a production line at the China plant was halted for about four days in August because of a lack of key chips, the report said.
– delays mainly for Tesla’s Model Y
Original Source : https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/teslas-china-output-halted-for-days-in-august-on-chip-shortage-bloomberg-news-2021-09-02
TESLA ROADSTER DELAYED TO 2023 PENDING NO “MEGA DRAMA”
Elon Musk on Twitter: “@AaronS5_ @ashleevance “2021 has been the year of super crazy supply chain shortages, so it wouldn’t matter if we had 17 new products, as none would ship. Assuming 2022 is not mega drama, new Roadster should ship in 2023.” / Twitter
Original Source : https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1433115031940440065
– In January, Musk announced Tesla still hadn’t finished engineering the Roadster and that production would start in 2022. The CEO also said the automaker aimed to have a driveable release candidate by summer. That didn’t happen. The Roadster was unveiled in 2017 with production slated for 2020. But in May 2020 Musk admitted the Roadster was still years away from production.
– A reservation for a Roadster costs $50,000, while the Founders Series requires the full $250,000 up front.
Original Source : https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1133443_tesla-roadster-delayed-to-2023-pending-no-mega-drama
SWEDEN’S PLUGIN EV SHARE OVER 47% IN AUGUST, FULL ELECTRICS AT RECORD HIGH 24%
– Sweden’s plugin electric vehicle market share hit 47.1% in August 2021, up over 1.6x from 29.0% in August 2020. Full electric vehicles took a record high 24.1% share of new sales
– The Kia e-Niro was once again Sweden’s best selling full electric.
– This is a rebalancing towards BEVs from the weighting in recent years, achieved through recent incentive policy changes. From now on we should see a more balanced weighting between the two categories of plugins.
– Diesels were at a near record low of 13.1% share
– The Volkswagen ID.4 also put in a typically strong performance, as did the MG ZS EV.
– The compelling new Hyundai Ioniq 5 has now started customer deliveries but it still in very limited supply in Sweden
– Tesla Model Y however did make its Sweden debut in August, with 152 units
Original Source : https://cleantechnica.com/2021/09/01/swedens-plugin-ev-share-over-47-in-august-full-electrics-at-record-high-24/
FORD WAS CAUGHT OFF GUARD BY MUSTANG MACH-E GT’S POPULARITY
– demand for the electrified pony car SUV has been so strong that it even surprised the highest of ranks at the Blue Oval.
– Ford CEO Jim Farley reflected on the launch of the Mach-E as a whole, admitting that the automaker simply wasn’t ready for the interest in the maxed-out trim because it set up a reservation system too late in the game.
– “We didn’t have the right spec levels, the GT was much more popular than we thought,” said Farley. “We couldn’t react. It was like, the marketing team could, but the industrial system that creates the physical product, and the software team—they didn’t like, get the memo of this demand.”
– “We couldn’t impact the commercialization, couldn’t buy batteries at the higher level,” said Farley, noting the picture is different for the F-150 Lightning. Lesson learned: promptly and properly gauging buyer interest gave the automaker a headstart on increasing its overall battery capacity and stocking up on key components.
Original Source : https://www.thedrive.com/news/42140/ford-was-caught-off-guard-by-mustang-mach-e-gts-popularity
ZEUS ELECTRIC, SYLVANSPORT TEAM UP TO BUILD ALL-ELECTRIC MOTORHOME
– SylvanSport, a mobile camping outfitter, and Zeus Electric Chassis, an electric work truck manufacturer, are collaborating on a 400-mile-range electric RV. In cooperation, the two companies are targeting a market that, though heavily flirted with by EV groups, remains largely untapped. Yes, we’re talking the market for fully electric motorhomes.
– development of the flagship all-electric RV concept (which looks like a Bear Grylls-Mercedes Sprinter van lovechild) is underway.
– In a recent press release, a Zeus spokesperson indicated that the electric RV “will be brought to life” in 2022. Whether “brought to life” means that the E-RV will be ready for mass rollout remains smoggy.
Original Source : https://gearjunkie.com/camper-rv/sylvansport-electric-rv-concept
GENESIS REVEALS AN ELECTRIC ROADMAP WITH SOME UNEXPECTED SURPRISES
– Genesis has revealed its roadmap for electrification, and while Hyundai’s luxury arm may have been slow to embrace EVs it’s planning on wasting no time moving forward.
– Genesis said today, all of its new vehicles will be fully electric, though it’ll be splitting its attentions between two different drivetrain technologies.
– Launching first in the shape of the Genesis GV60, the automaker’s first electric car to be based on the Hyundai Groups E-GMP electric-global modular platform, it’s expected to be launched in the second half of 2021.
– Genesis is also looking to fuel-cells for another route into electrification.
– If all goes to plan, Genesis will be a 100-percent zero emission vehicle brand by 2030
Original Source : https://www.slashgear.com/genesis-reveals-an-electric-roadmap-with-some-unexpected-surprises-01689205
CAKE’S MAKKA ELECTRIC MOPED IS FIT FOR CITY COMMUTES OR ALL-OUT ADVENTURE
– Swedish personal mobility startup Cake has added another electrified two-wheeler to its stable, introducing a moped designed to be as comfortable hauling cargo around cities as it is setting out on a weekend adventure. Available in a range of configurations, the Makka can be kitted out with a baskets and boxes for commuters or extra seats for those with a passenger in tow, and you might not even need a motorcycle license to ride it.
– Cake is offering two variants, the Makka Flex with a top speed of 45 km/h (28 mph) and the Makka Range with a top speed of 25 km/h (15.5 mph). The removable lithium-ion battery wedged in between the foot rests allows for a range of 50 km (31 mi) in the Flex and 60 km (37 miles) in the Range, and there is quite a leap in power output between the 1.8-kW drivetrain of the latter and 3.6-kW drivetrain of the former. One upside of this is the Range requires no license to ride, at least for those in the EU.
Original Source : https://newatlas.com/urban-transport/cakes-makka-electric-moped/
BMW MOTORRAD CONCEPT CE 02 IS THE FUTURE OF TRAVEL
– the German marque takes one more step closer to reality with the Concept CE 02, a two-wheeled electric vehicle that aims to change the future of travel.
– The EV features a black central front headlight with four LEDs while at the rear you’ll find two small, translucent LED leaves at the edge of the seat acting as the back light. A basic color screen on the handlebars informs the rider of essential information, and elsewhere the Concept CE 02 is rather stripped back.
Original Source : https://hypebeast.com/2021/9/bmw-motorrad-concept-ce-02-two-wheel-transport-bikes-electric-vehicle-futuristic
NASA IS TESTING AN EVTOL AIR TAXI FOR THE FIRST TIME
– NASA is testing an all-electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft developed by Joby Aviation, in a first for the agency, according to a blog post on its official website.
– ASA expects next-gen eVTOL aircraft to become an affordable system for cargo and passenger transportation, in addition to other functions in service of the public interest. Possible shipping might include package delivery drones, medical transport vehicles, and, of course, air taxis.
Original Source : https://interestingengineering.com/nasa-testing-evtol-air-taxi-first-time
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
As cars like the IONIQ 5 and trucks like the Ford F-150 Lighting arrive being able to draw power from the traction battery, what will you power from your EV in the future?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUT