If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 29th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
CHINA’S GAC AION UNVEILS 480KW FAST CHARGER
– Chinese EV manufacturer GAC Aion officially debuted its long-awaited 480kW fast charger on Monday, which will be able to charge the company’s upcoming electric Aion V SUV from 30% to 80% in under five minutes.
– it unveiled the A480 supercharger. Neither the company’s English nor Chinese language websites appear to have any official information regarding the event, but several local media outlets covered the event.
– During the event, GAC Aion showed its Aion V SUV charging from 30% to 80% using a supercharger with a peak charging power of 480kW and charged with 35.1kWh of power and a maximum charge current of 560A.
– The A480 achieves an operating voltage of 880V and the company is planning to begin mass-production of the charging technology in September, with the Aion V model
TESLA PUSHES NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE TO IMPROVE MODEL S
– Tesla has started pushing a new software update to its fleet of Model S electric sedans in order to improve suspension, Autopark, and more. Some of the improvements are expected to make it to other vehicles, too.
– Tesla has started pushing a new update specifically for the new Model S. It includes a new version of its adaptive suspension damping.
– Tesla has started updating its Autopark features using its latest vision-based software.
– A recalibrated suspension damping algorithm allows for smoother control and improved ride comfort. A rebalanced rebound-to-compression ratio works with the all-new multilink rear suspension to enhance steering response and handling for a higher degree of road connection and more precise control during spirited driving.
– Your vehicle can now automatically park in parallel and perpendicular posts. While driving below 15 mph (25 km/h), the instrument cluster will display a parking icon if it detects a potential parking spot. To initiate Autopark, tap-and-hold the Autopark button in the shift panel, and release the steering yoke. For more information on Autopark, please refer to the Owners Manual
– Child Lock replaces Camera under controls. You can still access Camera via the bottom bar on your touchscreen.
VOLKSWAGEN ID.3 EV TOUCHES DOWN IN CHINA
– Volkswagen has introduced its popular all-electric ID.3 model in China and customers will be able to pre-book it before its market launch in October.Making its debut at the Chengdu Motor Show, Volkswagen ID.3 is all set to create its base in the world’s biggest automotive market following – the launch of ID.4 and ID.6 models.
– Volkswagen CEO Ralf Brandstatter
– “After the ID.4 and the ID.6, we are now launching the ID.3 as the third all-electric model series in China within a mere six months. We are thus underscoring our ambition to occupy a leading position in the market for electric vehicles in China as well as Europe,”
– Volkswagen also conveyed that deliveries of vehicles from its ID. family have doubled in the past three months. Taking the number from 1,500 units in May to around 3,000 in June and then following it by 5,800 in July shows that Volkswagen has entered the list of top ten manufacturers in the Chinese e-car market in July
Original Source : https://auto.hindustantimes.com/
MG5 EV LONG RANGE IS THE MOST SIGNIFICANT THING ON WHEELS
– his unprepossessing estate car is the most disruptive car on the market right now. You probably haven’t even heard of it, or seen one on the road, but the MG5 electric station wagon with its new long-range bigger battery pack is the cheapest electric car, per mile, you can buy.
– In the “exclusive” level of trim I tried you’ll get all the automation and connectivity you’d expect from a new family car, and all for about £28,000, probably less if you go to a broker. Plus a seven-year manufacturer’s warranty.
– Chinese were once known for making comically awful knock-offs of anything from a Daewoo Maria to a Rolls-Royce Phantom. Now it is the west that looks to China for the auto industry’s future. I make no comment on the geopolitical ramifications of all that.
– So this otherwise unremarkable compact estate car is an unlikely symbol of Chinese industrial supremacy.
– The downsides are few. Technically it seems to be a bit slower to charge than some of its rivals partly due to the sheer size of the battery pack. If you’re the kind of person for whom the quality of plastics and flair in interior design is paramount you’d probably be happier in the very stylish VW id3, or the electric Volvo XC40 Recharge
THE TRAILERDUCK: A SELF-POWERED, AUTO-FOLLOWING BIKE TRAILER
– Imagine riding your non-electric bicycle, with a cargo trailer attached. You cycle to a warehouse, where a forklift loads a pallet containing 600 pounds of goods onto your trailer. What kind of leg muscles would you need to tow that?In the vision of German startup DroidDrive GmbH, your regular leg muscles. The company is developing the Trailerduck, an electric self-powered trailer that matches the speed of the bicycle it’s attached to.
– With a maximum capacity of 300kg (660 lbs.), the 1-meter-wide trailer—sized to hold a European-spec shipping pallet–simply hums along behind you and is narrow enough to fit in standard bike lanes.
– Although the Trailerduck is physically tethered to the bicycle, in the company’s eyes that’s a temporary formality. The company is also developing a Ducktrain system whereby the trailer is only tethered to the bike via Lidar. And the user could conceivably tether multiple Trailerducks behind it in a convoy
Original Source : https://www.core77.com/posts/109833/
INSIDE DYSON’S $700 MILLION QUEST TO DESIGN AN ELECTRIC CAR
– When we came to designing our electric car, we knew it had to be special. We wanted a car that was a pleasure to own, drive, and travel in. Every last detail mattered. The plug-in point for the battery recharger had to be as resolved, refined, and elegant as the seats, controls, and steering wheel. Heating and ventilation had to make the very best use of Dyson’s knowledge of airflow and low-energy use. And the batteries had to be the best we could offer, and then some. We looked forward to the day when we could replace lithium-ion batteries with solid-state batteries.
– I wanted the car to be uncluttered both inside and out. The design of our dash and controls was engineered to keep the driver’s eyes on the road at all times. All interacting controls, such as lights, indicators, and audio adjustment for the driver were placed on the steering wheel. There were no controls on the dash, no need to look down there, distracting your eyes from the road.
– The team eventually grew to 500, and by mid-2019 we had a very convincing car, with a pair of 264 hp Dyson electric motors, one at the front, one at the rear of the car. Although weighing 2.87 tons, the EV could have accelerated from 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. Its top speed was estimated at 125 mph.
– While you can’t make electric cars for a reasonable price, existing car companies were willing to make them because they help achieve specified exhaust emissions across their product range. So, if they take a loss on electric cars, they make a profit on polluting cars while appearing virtuous.
– We just couldn’t ever have made money from it, and for all our enthusiasm, we weren’t prepared to risk the rest of Dyson.
– Fortunately, we were able to stomach the $700 million cost and survive.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
As cars like the IONIQ 5 and trucks like the Ford F-150 Lighting arrive being able to draw power from the traction battery, what will you power from your EV in the future?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL