If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 28th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
CELLS IN GM, HYUNDAI EV BATTERY FIRES LINKED TO SEVERAL LG PLANTS
– Shares of Korean battery maker LG Chem (051910.KS) slid to a nine-month low on Friday as investors digested reports linking fires in General Motors Co (GM.N) and Hyundai Motor Co (005380.KS) vehicles to LG batteries from at least two Asia plants.
– Documents filed by GM and Hyundai with the U.S. safety regulator show how the two automakers separately identified the same cause of battery fires in their newest electric vehicles, tracing them to similar manufacturing defects in battery cells made at at least two plants operated by a unit of LG Chem.
– GM and Hyundai linked the fires to lithium-ion battery cells supplied by LG Energy Solution, an LG Chem subsidiary and one of the world’s largest battery manufacturers. The cells were produced at LG plants in South Korea and China.
– Ford and VW have not reported similar issues with the LG cells.
GM CHANGES STRATEGY IN THE SCRAMBLE FOR SECURE BATTERY AND CHIP SUPPLY
– General Motors is looking for supplier partnerships and digital tools to secure the localised supply of semiconductors and lithium-ion batteries in North America, currently two of the most critical products needed in vehicle production in the region.
– Speaking at the recent JP Morgan Auto Conference, Steve Carlisle, GM’s executive vice-president and president of GM North America (pictured), said the company would be seeking to use technology and build partnerships to avoid future supply problems.
– The company will not be returning to its pre-pandemic supply of 90 days and will ideally arrange 30- to 60-day allotments at dealerships.
– GM will prioritise fast-selling vehicle configurations, reducing the available options and decreasing build complexity, requiring fewer incentives to sell
– battery making partnerships still need access to crucial raw materials such as lithium, nickel, manganese, cobalt and aluminium. Mining them in US promises a reduction of overall costs compared to importing from overseas and one of the partnerships GM is looking to secure for the local supply of lithium for EV production is with southern California’s Salton Sea.
GENESIS GV60 LOOKS EVEN BETTER IN NO-CAMO SPY SHOTS
– Our spies have just sent us a batch of photos showing the new Genesis GV60 without camouflage. They say the GV60 looks even better in person than it does in the press gallery, as well as in the photos they provided – they show what appears to be a prototype that has no exterior camouflage and it’s finished in black; all it has covered up is the badge in the front.
– the GV60 looks more like a conventional hatchback, with more conventional front and rear fascias too. They bear the mark of the Genesis family face, with the horizontally-split front and rear light clusters, and there’s nothing really polarizing about the way it looks.
– The GV60 will go on sale around the end of the year or in 2021, so pricing and specific details regarding range and other technical details have not yet been revealed. It will share its 58 kWh and 77.4 kWh battery packs with its two stablemates and its WLTP range is expected to be around 480 km (300 miles).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/529270/genesis-gv60-uncovered-spy-photos
GAC AION TO REPORTEDLY DEBUT 600 KW FAST CHARGER NEXT WEEK
– EV manufacturer GAC Aion continues to tout its charging capabilities in China. Following a demonstration last month showing charging speeds of five to eight minutes, the company is reportedly about to introduce an even more powerful fast charger on Monday.
– GAC Aion has already shared an upcoming Aion V SUV. This EV will come complete with a graphene-based battery, promising to deliver unseen charge speeds and 1,000 km (~621 miles) of range.
– GAC Aion showcased charge multiplier speeds of 3C and 6C to the public on an EV with a graphene-based battery. On the 3C charger, the EV charged 0-80% in 16 minutes and 30-80% in 10 minutes. On 6C, GAC Aion’s fast charger achieved charging times of eight minutes for 0-80%
KNAUS CHARGES INTO THE FUTURE WITH WANKEL-BOOSTED ELECTRIC RV
– We thought for sure that any news of an electric vehicle with a Wankel range-extender would include “Mazda” in the headline, but the honor goes to an unforeseen player: Knaus Tabbert. The European RV giant revealed its Knaus E.Power Drive research prototype at the 2021 Düsseldorf Caravan Salon this week. The motorhome dumps diesel for an all-electric powertrain supported by a rotary engine-generator that doubles as a campground power source, spinning out a work week’s worth of cooking, heating and lighting.
– Motorsport engineering specialist HWA AG partnered up to help Knaus navigate the harrowing path of fully overhauling the underlying mechanicals of the base Fiat Ducato.
– Out on the road, the new e-motor gets that big hunk of Vansation thundering up to a fairly comfortable highway speed of 68 mph (110 km/h), according to Knaus. With only 35 kWh of traction battery mounted down in the chassis, power will cut off after a mere 56 miles (90 km, WLTP)
– The Wankel-generator supplies electricity to the motorhome living area via an inverter, creating a more self-sufficient camper less reliant on separate power sources like the leisure battery or LPG tanks.
Original Source : https://newatlas.com/automotive/knaus-wankel-electric-rv-concept/
NISSAN’S ELECTRIC MICROCAR WILL COME WITH 20 KWH BATTERY
– Nissan has announced it will launch its all-electric microcar for the Japanese market early in 2022. Developed in partnership with Alliance partner Mitsubishi (under the NMKV Co LTD joint venture), Nissan’s micro EV will feature ‘instant acceleration, smooth driving and cabin quietness that are key characteristics of electric vehicles’, Nissan said in a statement issued early on 27 August.
Nissan has confirmed the electric microcar – believed to be previewed by the IMk concept showcased in 2019 – will be 3,395 mm long, 1,475 mm wide, and 1,655 mm high; dimensions that will help it slot into Japan’s kei car segment.
ELON MUSK EXPLAINS TESLA’S LFP BATTERY STRATEGY FOR US MODEL 3 SR+
– The battery packs have slightly different range estimates, which reservation holders may want to consider before taking Tesla up on its offer. The US-made Model 3 SR+ has an EPA-estimated range of 263 miles per charge, while the MIC Model 3 with an LFP battery has an estimated range of 253 miles per charge.
ELON MUSK ON TESLA’S DECISION TO START OFFERING BASE MODEL 3S WITH LFP
“Our intent with this pack is that product experience is roughly equivalent between nickel & iron,” he said. “I’d personally slightly opt for iron pack, as it wants to be charged to 100% whereas nickel prefers ~90%,” Musk wrote.
The slight charging differences Musk mentioned between the packs may make up for the differing range estimates between the Model 3’s nickel-based battery packs and those using iron-based cells.
– the fact that the LFP cells are best charged to 100% means that owners could frequently get their vehicles’ maximum range.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-lfp-battery-explains-elon-musk/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
It’s back next week after a short break!
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL