If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 26th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA NOW AIMS FOR FULL SELF-DRIVING BETA PUBLIC RELEASE IN ‘~4 WEEKS’
– Elon Musk is now saying that Tesla is aiming for the wider public release of its Full Self-Driving Beta in about four weeks.
– Musk says that the plan has apparently changed and Tesla now aims to push FSD Beta v10 to the early access fleet next week.
– “We should be there with Beta 10, which goes out a week from Friday (no point release this week). It will have a completely retrained NN, so will need another few weeks after that for tuning & bug fixes. Best guess is a public beta button in ~4 weeks.”
– keep in mind that this is only for the US market.
TESLA’S REDESIGNED IPHONE APP FEATURES TWO NEW HOME SCREEN WIDGETS
– Tesla is rolling out a major update for its iOS smartphone app with new controls, improved management and cool visuals.
– In terms of controls, you can send commands to your car immediately upon opening the app, instead of waiting for the vehicle to wake up. There’s also enhanced phone key support that essentially lets you unlock multiple Teslas.
– There are also new animations when you charge your car and in the climate and controls sections. Design-wise, Tesla has ditched the charging section and now displays that info when your car is plugged in. You can also view Supercharging history from within the app. While the speed limit, valet mode and sentry mode settings have been moved to a new category titled Security, which includes tips on how to use the Bluetooth, phone key and location services.
- Original Source : https://www.engadget.com/tesla-iphone-app-widget-114659360.html
TESLA MODEL S PLAID LOSES CONTROL, CRASHES AT NURBURGRING RACE TRACK DURING TESTING
– A Tesla Model S Plaid crashed at the Nurburgring raceway in Germany while several vehicles were on track attempting to set time records on the 12.94-mile course, the media reported.
– The Model S went out of control in the Klostertalkurve in kilometre 14, which comprises a series of sharp, paper clip-like turns before extending into a straightaway.
– Tesla has been at the Nurburgring on and off for the past two years, first making an appearance in October 2019 at the track with the Model S Plaid.
TESLA COUNTERS MODEL 3 SR+ DELAYS WITH LFP PACKS IN NORTH AMERICA
– Tesla is countering Model 3 Standard Range+ delays by offering some potential owners the option to switch to the LFP, or lithium iron phosphate, battery packs that are available in Asia and Europe.
– Forced to push back delivery dates for the SR+ Model 3, the company’s most affordable vehicle available online, to January 2022, Tesla is attempting to get Model 3s to their owners by offering the LFP packs that come standard in European and Chinese versions of the car.
– Tesla utilizes Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum batteries for its 2170 cells in the Model 3. In Asia and Europe, Tesla has used the LFP cells, which are more restrictive due to their sensitivity to temperatures and offer less range. Due to the wide availability of nickel and Tesla’s decision to steer away from cobalt in its batteries, it has used LFP cells since the Model 3 was produced in China in early 2020.
ELON MUSK WANTS TO SELL TEXANS ELECTRICITY
– new subsidiary of Tesla, called Tesla Energy Ventures, that filed in mid-August with the Public Utility Commission of Texas to sell electricity on the retail market.
– if the filing is approved this November, people involved with the state’s power market say that the new Tesla Energy Ventures could stand out in a crowded, deregulated retail market where 120 other companies are already hawking kilowatts.
– Tesla also told the state’s grid operator that it wants to build two giant utility-scale batteries that will serve wholesale power companies in the state. A 250-megawatt battery would be located near its under-construction Gigafactory outside Austin, where it plans to build Cybertrucks and Model Y SUVs. Another massive battery would be located outside Houston, according to Bloomberg.
PORSCHE EXPANDS ONLINE MARKETPLACE TO INCLUDE US INVENTORY OF NEW CARS
– Porsche Cars North America has added its entire U.S. inventory of new cars to its online marketplace as the company seeks to keep up with customer demands and the industry’s shift to digital commerce.
– As customers shift their shopping to online — a trend that accelerated during the COVID-19 pandemic — digital platforms have become a critical tool for companies. Established automakers like Porsche, however, have had to balance the demand of its customers and dealership network
– While all 193 dealers are participating in the Porsche Finder tool, Gruner acknowledged that this large group includes those who have been more cautious about the move toward digital commerce.
FORM ENERGY RAISES $240 MILLION ON IRON-AIR BATTERY PROMISE
– A secretive start-up called Form Energy says it’s developing and scaling the production of a new type of rechargeable battery that can store electricity for 100 hours.
– the company has lined up more than $360 million in funding, including a new $240 million round that closed Tuesday, and partners and outside experts are optimistic about its potential.
– Form Energy’s core technology is based on three cheap and readily available materials: Iron, air, and water. The battery works with a process the company calls “reversible rusting,” in which the battery charges and discharges by converting iron back and forth into rust.
– To charge, an electric current converts rust back to iron and the battery breathes out oxygen. To discharge, the battery takes in oxygen from the air and converts the iron to rust.
– Each battery is filled with a non-flammable electrolyte liquid, similar to the electrolyte used in AA batteries, and is about the size of a washing machine, Form Energy says. Thousands of the washing machine-size battery modules are clumped together in power blocks and depending on what is needed, tens to hundreds of power blocks can be connected to the electricity grid.
- Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/25/form-energy-raises-240-million-on-iron-air-battery-promise.html
US: 2022 HYUNDAI KONA ELECTRIC GETS LOWER PRICE
– The 2022 model year Hyundai Kona Electric in the U.S. has an MSRP price of $34,000, which is $3,390 less (or almost 10%) than in the case of the 2021 model year.
– The new MSRP is close to the MSRP of the Chevrolet Bolt EV/Chevrolet Bolt EUV duo, but the Kona Electric is still eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit.
– It makes the car probably the cheapest in terms of price (MSRP + DST) per mile of EPA range, at $136/mile. After deducting the federal tax credit, it starts at $107/mile.
- Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/528893/2022-hyundai-kona-electric-price
ELECTRIFY AMERICA MAKES IT A LOT EASIER TO FIND EV CHARGERS WHILE YOU DRIVE
– Electrify America is adding Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support, the company announced Thursday in a press release. That should allow EV drivers to find charging stations much more easily on the go.
– Previously, in some vehicles, drivers had to pull up the app separately on their devices, which involves pulling over and closing any apps already in use through Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
– In addition to locating charging stations, Apple CarPlay/Android Auto connectivity will let drivers remotely start and stop a charging session, as well as view details of charging plans, including any free charging that might be included with the purchase of a vehicle, according to Electrify America.
- Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133369_electrify-america-makes-it-a-lot-easier-to-find-ev-chargers-while-you-drive
LIME UNLEASHES 1,000 KICK SCOOTERS IN NEW YORK CITY
– Lime has launched 1,000 electric scooters in New York City to kick off the Department of Transportation’s East Bronx scooter-sharing pilot. New York will become just the second city in the United States to launch Lime’s latest generation scooter, the Gen4.
– Lime says it builds on some positive history in New York as it previously provided shared electric bicycles as part of NYC DOT’s dockless bike-share pilot. Still, to get New York to grant a kick scooter permit, Lime says it worked with advocates, legislators, and community partners to legalize electric scooters over the last three years, leading to state legislation in 2020, followed by the introduction of a pilot program at the NYC Council.
- Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/08/26/lime-unleashes-1000-kick-scooters-in-new-york-city
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
It’s back next week after a short break!
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL