If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 25th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
2022 LUCID AIR DREAM EDITION R EXCLUSIVE FIRST DRIVE
– “The 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition R is a 933-hp electric luxury sedan that can drive more than 500 miles on a single charge. I witnessed and experienced the latter firsthand. The former? Not so much, but you’ll need to keep reading. There’s also an Air Dream Edition P (P stands for Performance, R means Range) that makes 1,111 horsepower and offers a range of better than 450 miles. Now get this—they cost the same price. You choose: Do you want a sleek-looking EV with nearly 100 hp more than the Tesla Model S Plaid? Or do you want the car that makes more horsepower than any Lamborghini ever made, beats the Tesla Model S Long Range at its own game by more than 100 miles, and puts the very notion of range anxiety out to pasture?”
– Jonny Lieberman- Author
– My 2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition R had the potential to go 475 miles, whereas Rawlinson’s could have traveled 517 miles on a single charge. That’s a gauntlet dropped at the feet of you know who. Also, remember range anxiety? As with the internal combustion engine, it’s a thing of the past.
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-lucid-air-dream-edition-r-exclusive-first-drive-review
LUCID AIR DREAM EDITION: 500-MILE RATING LIKELY FOR RANGE VERSION
– In Dream Edition Performance form, the Lucid Air will be able to accelerate to 60 mph in less than 2.5 seconds and make 1,111 horsepower, while the Range version does it in 2.7 seconds and makes 933 hp. Total torque for both versions is more than 738 pound-feet, and both versions will reach 168 mph—although we should note that prototypes have gone much faster.
– Performance versions ride on staggered-width, specially developed Pirelli P Zero 21-inch tires, while the 500+ mile Range version rides on a 19-inch version of the same tires
– It’s built on a 924-volt architecture, with a 113-kwh battery pack, and will be able to regain up to 20 miles per minute at 350-kw CCS DC fast chargers (utilizing peak charge rates of over 300 kw), with unlimited Electrify America charging included for three years.
– It will be also be compatible with a bi-directional home charging station to enable car-to-grid functionality, and a 19.2-kw onboard charger can regain up to 80 miles per hour on 240V AC—at 80 amps, on a 100-amp circuit, with a special Connected Home Charging system to be installed by Qmerit.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133351_lucid-air-dream-edition-500-mile-rating-likely-for-range-version
MUNICH IAA MOBILITY 2021: ELECTRIC CARS TAKE CENTER STAGE
– From September 7 to 12, 2021, the first German auto show since the beginning of the corona pandemic will take place: the IAA Mobility. The trade fair, previously known internationally as the “Frankfurt Auto Show,” is also coming to Munich for the first time.
– We have newly included the Mercedes-Maybach EQS SUV, and it is now officially certain that the EQE will be shown. We have also added the VW ID.5 GTX and (on a speculative basis) the Polestar 3.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/bBx7O/
- Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/528864/munich-iaa-electric-car-debuts/
– Audi’s highlight will probably be the Grand Sphere, as the brand has already officially confirmed.
– The BMW i4 electric sedan is one of the confirmed exhibits at the IAA. One of the highlights of the four-door model based on the new 4 Series Gran Coupé is the astonishing range of up to 590 kilometers according to the WLTP standard.
– The Dacia Spring Electric is described by Dacia as the cheapest electric car on the market, and with a base price of around 20,000 euros
– Mercedes has confirmed that the new EQE will also be shown
– The Swiss company Micro is represented at the IAA, and rumor has it that it is showing the production version of the Microlino 2.0 at the show.
– VW has announced the ID.5 GTX for the Munich show, again only with the red and yellow camouflage film.
Jolly good! UK LAUNCHES ITS FIRST WIRELESS EV CHARGING TRIAL
– Residents of Nottingham are going to witness a UK first: a wireless charging electric vehicle trial. Nine electric taxis will roam the streets of the city, named after the trial itself, WiCET (Wireless Charging of Electric Taxis).
– The etaxi fleet will consist of five plug-in hybrid LEVC TX taxis and four all-electric Nissan Dynamo taxis
– The WiCET taxis will be available for hail by the general public and they will collect vehicle data during the rides, including the journey distances and battery level.
Original Source : https://thenextweb.com/news/jolly-good-uk-launches-first-wireless-ev-charging-trial-witec-taxi
YOSEMITE EV VISITS WILL BE EASIER WITH ELECTRIFY AMERICA STATION
– New EV charging stations are often knocked for being either in high-traffic urban or suburban areas, office parks, or at nondescript freeway locations, at times far from a convenience store but also far from actual vacation destinations. It’s safe to say that we’re still in the early years of EV station building, so most of the new stations really are aimed at suburban sprawl, urban centers, or linking up the two coasts—often producing no-go zones for electric cars if their owners want to visit a national park.
– Electrify America has worked with Yosemite Westgate and Buck Meadows Lodge to build an EV charging station in Buck Meadows, California, with the goal of giving those driving to Yosemite National Park a spot to charge their EVs. The Yosemite Westgate and Buck Meadows Lodge station is located just 12 miles from this popular national park, and is not that far from other EA stations in Bishop, Oakhurst, and Bridgeport. The station features two 150 kW and two 350 kW chargers.
- Original Source : https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a37384266/yosemite-ev-electrify-america-station/
ASTON MARTIN EASING INTO ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– Aston Martin will join the rest of the industry in switching to electric vehicles, but the first pure EV is not coming until 2026
– The first pure EV must wait for the next-generation sports cars in 2026.
– The timing is a ways off because Moers says the current sports car lineup will get a significant facelift by 2023 and they need a bit of runway to pay for themselves before they are replaced by models on a new electric sports car platform.
– The CEO is building an EV engineering team to lessen dependence on companies that supply key drivetrain components and batteries, such as Mercedes and Rimac. Moers wants to build in-house competence
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/aston-martin-electric-vehicle-2026/
JAPAN DOESN’T HAVE ENOUGH ELECTRIC CARS FOR ITS EV CHARGERS
– Japan, which Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has pledged will become carbon neutral by 2050, is grappling with a classic ‘build it and they will come’ problem. After offering subsidies to the tune of 100 billion yen ($911 million) in fiscal 2012 to build charging stations and spur electric-vehicle adoption, charging poles mushroomed.
– Now, with EV penetration only at around 1%, the country has hundreds of aging charging poles that aren’t being used while others (they have an average lifespan of about eight years) are being taken out of service altogether.
Original Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-25/japan-doesn-t-have-enough-electric-cars-for-its-ev-chargers
ENTERPRISE CAR CLUB ADDS ELECTRIC VEHICLES TO FLEET
– Enterprise Car Club is introducing eight new low-emission hybrid electric cars in the Highlands and Islands region of Scotland, which can be booked using the new GO-HI journey planning app.
– four Hyundai IONIQ cars will be placed in Fort William (two cars), Aviemore (two cars), Ullapool, Kyle of Localsh, Scrabster Ferry Terminal, and Wick Airport. They can be booked for as little as £5.90 per hour.
– Murray McAdam, Enterprise business rental sales manager for Scotland. “Local residents, business travelers, and tourists alike can now quickly switch to a rental vehicle after taking a train, ferry, bus, or plane, making their onward journey much more straightforward, especially to places that can only be accessed by car. We are actively facilitating access to electric and hybrid vehicles as part of the regular Enterprise fleet.
- Original Source : https://www.autorentalnews.com/10149992/enterprise-car-club-adds-electric-vehicles-to-fleet
STOREDOT FILES PATENT FOR FAST CHARGING ‘BOOSTER’ FUNCTION – ELECTRIVE.COM
– Israeli battery developer StoreDot announces it has filed a patent for technology to help electric cars charge faster. The solution, which the company says it will make available as an open-source license, includes hardware and software enhancements that create a “booster” function.
– StoreDot claims this will allow the battery to analyze charging station performance in real-time and adjust the battery to accommodate higher currents if so provided by the charge column. This, of course, requires communication between a vehicle’s battery and charging system, thus making the open-source license a must for the start-up.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/08/26/storedot-files-patent-for-fast-charging-booster-function
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
It’s back next week after a short break!
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL